test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Case for Star Trek: The Animated Series Content

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    D7's with stasis weapons,

actually, for a period after LoR, an NPC klingon ship DID have some form of stasis weapon, but it was the vor'cha, not a D7...and it was removed for some unknown reason at some point afterwards​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    I would be honored if a dev/manager/pwe employee would comment on the thread.

My understanding - limited and lacking as it may be - is that a Dev had already responded to this question in one of those "semi-official" Podcast Interviews (non-transcribed, of course, so you have to go listen to two hours of stuff to find the one-liner you want).

And that the AoY expansion is being given the "Cryptic Decided Feel" to TOS - not a "purely canon" one. Explains away the "gameplay concepts" of, say, female captains and personal shields in eras that didn't have either...

But then again, as part of that, said Dev also mentioned that they weren't keen on counting TAS as part of the "TOS Continuity they felt like homaging" in AoY. Hence it's exclusion, despite the semi-commonly held belief that TAS = TOS Seasons 4&5...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    dareau wrote: »

My understanding - limited and lacking as it may be - is that a Dev had already responded to this question in one of those "semi-official" Podcast Interviews (non-transcribed, of course, so you have to go listen to two hours of stuff to find the one-liner you want).

And that the AoY expansion is being given the "Cryptic Decided Feel" to TOS - not a "purely canon" one. Explains away the "gameplay concepts" of, say, female captains and personal shields in eras that didn't have either...

But then again, as part of that, said Dev also mentioned that they weren't keen on counting TAS as part of the "TOS Continuity they felt like homaging" in AoY. Hence it's exclusion, despite the semi-commonly held belief that TAS = TOS Seasons 4&5...

Because locking female characters out of being playable would be a genius marketing move that certainly wouldn't backfire on them at any point. ;) Plus the fact that just because no female captains were seen in TOS does not mean they didn't exist since TOS takes place entirely on one ship.
  • aphelionmarauderaphelionmarauder Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I believe the issue with the purple Klingon uniforms, pink Tribbles, and Kzinti uniforms being purple, stems from one of the artists back then being colorblind.

Only thing passable that was messed up was pink tribbles. I mean we got candy striped ones and one with a little drink umbrella, so a pink one isn't that far fetched. Also @rattler2 there is a link in my essay to a website with the TAS episodes on it.
    The only thing I want to critique on the OP's message is that we HAVE the Kzinti, they're called Ferasan here
    According to memory alpha, the Kzinti sent out colony ships. One landed near the Klingon space and the decedents evolved into the Ferasan. The others landed closer to Federation space and there decedents evolved into the Caitians. They are both descendants of the Kzinti.
    Aside from that, hell yeah.

Agreed! HELL YA TAS!!!!

actually, for a period after LoR, an NPC klingon ship DID have some form of stasis weapon, but it was the vor'cha, not a D7...and it was removed for some unknown reason at some point afterwards​​

Then it sounds like it would be a kind gesture on Cryptics part to add it on a D7 and give it to the Klingons.

I love how people here are reaching out and supporting the TAS! I did not know there were so many people that love it! #TASforSTO

Support the movement!
    Come stand with us in supporting Star Trek: The Animated Series content for STO! (It's canon!) #TASforSTO

Time travel and glass-cannon ships hurt my head and is NOT what Trek is about. Trek is exploration, becoming better as a species, and gaining scientific knowledge while holding on to the traditions that got us where were are.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    No. They should round up every copy of that abomination, dump it into a pit and burn it. Repeatedly.

Good luck with that, they are releasing it on Blu-ray this Xmas.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    daveyny wrote: »
    No. They should round up every copy of that abomination, dump it into a pit and burn it. Repeatedly.

Good luck with that, they are releasing it on Blu-ray this Xmas.
    B)

YES!!! YES!!!
    Support the movement!
    Come stand with us in supporting Star Trek: The Animated Series content for STO! (It's canon!) #TASforSTO

Time travel and glass-cannon ships hurt my head and is NOT what Trek is about. Trek is exploration, becoming better as a species, and gaining scientific knowledge while holding on to the traditions that got us where were are.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I believe the issue with the purple Klingon uniforms, pink Tribbles, and Kzinti uniforms being purple, stems from one of the artists back then being colorblind.

While I have not seen TAS myself, there are many things I can see being added.
    • Caitian hair ala M'Ress
    • Aquashuttle (Maybe as a TOS era counterpart to the Yellowstone Runabout)
    • More species
    • A couple new ships

As for the addition of the Edoans like Arex... I think it might be possible now after the revamp the Undine had. However as a playable species I don't see it happening. When we get polymorphed into Undine by Q, its still rather stiff and not all of our animations work because technically they just overlayed the Undine Model and leg movement over our biped characters. We as players do not have full access to all the Undine animations.

It wasn't just one of the artists, it was Hal Sutherland, the director of most of the first season episodes.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    I'd be happy to see bits of TAS included. We've already got the Kelvin Timeline incoming with its various inconsistencies; what's the big deal over adding content from our native (from STO's perspective) timeline/universe?
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
    I'd be happy to see bits of TAS included. We've already got the Kelvin Timeline incoming with its various inconsistencies; what's the big deal over adding content from our native (from STO's perspective) timeline/universe?

Amen! #TASforSTO
    Support the movement!

• psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    My name is Psi'a Meese. And I support the OP's message. :D

I've also wondered how adaptable the Undine animation would be for an Edoan?
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    We should replace all content in STO with Kelvin Timeline content.
    I hearty support this cause and or event. =3

BRING IT!!!

Aww, thanks crashdragon pig-15.gif.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

captsol wrote: »
    dareau wrote: »

Because locking female characters out of being playable would be a genius marketing move that certainly wouldn't backfire on them at any point. ;) Plus the fact that just because no female captains were seen in TOS does not mean they didn't exist since TOS takes place entirely on one ship.

It was explicitly spelt out in the final episode that Kirk's 'world of Starship captains doesn't admit women'. Luckily though, there's hardly anything left from TOS that hasn't later been retconned, but as AoY is focused on TOS, and not retcons of TOS, there should only be male captains. This is only going by the Devs 'logic' by the way. The same logic that excludes Caitians from TAS but allows Tellarites despite no Tellarite ever been seen in a Starfleet uniform in the history of Star Trek, including TOS.

actually, for a period after LoR, an NPC klingon ship DID have some form of stasis weapon, but it was the vor'cha, not a D7...and it was removed for some unknown reason at some point afterwards

Going by screenshots from the Art subforum the D7 has been revamped and remastered. So I'm hoping that a joint Rom/Klingon C-Store D7 with statis weapon will be available...

...who am I kidding. There's zero chance Romulans and Klingons will ever get ships outside of a three-pack now.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

It was explicitly spelt out in the final episode that Kirk's 'world of Starship captains doesn't admit women'. Luckily though, there's hardly anything left from TOS that hasn't later been retconned, but as AoY is focused on TOS, and not retcons of TOS, there should only be male captains. This is only going by the Devs 'logic' by the way. The same logic that excludes Caitians from TAS but allows Tellarites despite no Tellarite ever been seen in a Starfleet uniform in the history of Star Trek, including TOS.

Only times in the "TOS" (TOS pilot episode to Undiscovered Country) that a female took command of the ship was in the pilot of TOS when Pike gets abducted, and when all the men were incapacitated in the TAS and Uhura by line of succession took command.
    Going by screenshots from the Art subforum the D7 has been revamped and remastered. So I'm hoping that a joint Rom/Klingon C-Store D7 with statis weapon will be available...

...who am I kidding. There's zero chance Romulans and Klingons will ever get ships outside of a three-pack now.​​

It is a really good though, and possibly Cryptic might do that.

Support the movement!

Only times in the "TOS" (TOS pilot episode to Undiscovered Country) that a female took command of the ship was in the pilot of TOS when Pike gets abducted, and when all the men were incapacitated in the TAS and Uhura by line of succession took command.

...who am I kidding. There's zero chance Romulans and Klingons will ever get ships outside of a three-pack now.

I am eternally hopeful. So for from tribble I've seen the Orion Interceptor from Bable, a heavy Romulan BoP, a Klingon D10, a Klingon D5 raptor (not the one from ENT), a Klingon TOS BoP, a Gorn frigate, a Gorn destroyer (from Arena), and the revamped D7 (Klingon and Romulan version).​​

#TASforSTO

• jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Op idk what you were trying to convey, i seen a wall of text and just went meh

as far as the title of the thread , i think theres room within the sto universe for TAS stuff, we already have caitains they were from tas if i remember right.

so why not add some tas stuff to this new fed tos faction , after all tas is just the continuation of TOS just animated.
    We should replace all content in STO with Kelvin Timeline content.
    I hearty support this cause and or event. =3

BRING IT!!!

Aww, thanks crashdragon pig-15.gif.

Your just mean.

My just mean what?​​

#TASforSTO

...who am I kidding. There's zero chance Romulans and Klingons will ever get ships outside of a three-pack now.

I am eternally hopeful. So for from tribble I've seen the Orion Interceptor from Bable, a heavy Romulan BoP, a Klingon D10, a Klingon D5 raptor (not the one from ENT), a Klingon TOS BoP, a Gorn frigate, a Gorn destroyer (from Arena), and the revamped D7 (Klingon and Romulan version).​​

When did they put those on tribble? I haven't seen them. *gasp* We might get a TAS D7, it sounds great.
    Op idk what you were trying to convey, i seen a wall of text and just went meh

as far as the title of the thread , i think theres room within the sto universe for TAS stuff, we already have caitains they were from tas if i remember right.

so why not add some tas stuff to this new fed tos faction , after all tas is just the continuation of TOS just animated.

That is exactly what I said, I just wrote all of that into a essay because I wanted to not be like the average poster and write my idea with opinion. I grabbed hard fact, annotated where I was unsure, and poured my heart out to make the point in a clear and logical way. So far, it has received more than an overwhelming response of positive feedback and support for this last element of Star Trek canon.

#TASforSTO
    Support the movement!

I am eternally hopeful. So for from tribble I've seen the Orion Interceptor from Bable, a heavy Romulan BoP, a Klingon D10, a Klingon D5 raptor (not the one from ENT), a Klingon TOS BoP, a Gorn frigate, a Gorn destroyer (from Arena), and the revamped D7 (Klingon and Romulan version).

When did they put those on tribble? I haven't seen them. *gasp* We might get a TAS D7, it sounds great.

I say, seen on Tribble. I mean I've seen pictures. Starting from this page (about halfway down) user @kurumimorishita has been posting marvolous screenshots of AoY. All the ships I mentioned are there except the TOS BoP, D5, and the D'D style T'liss. I saw those on @yuzral youtube channel (here) on the Tribble Timewarp series.​​

#TASforSTO

I am eternally hopeful. So for from tribble I've seen the Orion Interceptor from Bable, a heavy Romulan BoP, a Klingon D10, a Klingon D5 raptor (not the one from ENT), a Klingon TOS BoP, a Gorn frigate, a Gorn destroyer (from Arena), and the revamped D7 (Klingon and Romulan version).

I say, seen on Tribble. I mean I've seen pictures. Starting from this page (about halfway down) user @kurumimorishita has been posting marvolous screenshots of AoY. All the ships I mentioned are there except the TOS BoP, D5, and the D'D style T'liss. I saw those on @yuzral youtube channel (here) on the Tribble Timewarp series.​​

I think Cryptic might be adding some TAS in, but over all, they need to make it a little more prominent.
    Support the movement!

• captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited June 2016

At the very least we could get skins.

And now that I think on it, wasn't the D7 used in the last Devidian mission? At least a hologram version of it?
    edited June 2016
    captsol wrote: »
    At the very least we could get skins.

And now that I think on it, wasn't the D7 used in the last Devidian mission? At least a hologram version of it?

If they just sold TAS ship costumes, that would be nice. And the D7 in the mission was authentic if you play it Klingon, but hologram if your fed.

I wonder what @tacofangs thinks about adding in Star Trek: The Animated Series content.
    Post edited by aphelionmarauder on
    Support the movement!

• kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Isnt Taco mostly environment? I doubt he has too strong an opinion either way on TAS stuff if thats the case
    Isnt Taco mostly environment? I doubt he has too strong an opinion either way on TAS stuff if thats the case

Still a employee who could take word back to other dev's.
    Support the movement!

• gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    I'm a huge TAS fan myself and would love to see more in sto.

One thing I will toss out in regard to the discussion on Niven is this bit from memory alpha:

"It has been recently disclosed that if Star Trek: Enterprise had been renewed for a fifth season, Manny Coto wanted to do a Kzinti episode. Much of the concept for the episode "Kilkenny Cats" (which was based on a story by Neal and Jana Hallford) was to draw from the earlier concept Star Trek: Lions of the Night by Jimmy Diggs. D.C. Fontana and André Bormanis were also involved in the editing of the script."

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Kzinti

So Manny Coto thought the ownership difficulties were not insurmountable. Jimmy Diggs also got both Niven and the Roddenbery estate to approve a kzinti project that didn't end up manifesting. Because of this I hold the belief Niven is not opposed to kzinti in Trek.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    it probably helped that manny coto likely swore on every possible thing one can swear on that THIS time, CBS wouldn't be stupid enough to hire a partially-colorblind whoever without finding out if said person is colorblind until AFTER the fact​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    It was explicitly spelt out in the final episode that Kirk's 'world of Starship captains doesn't admit women'.
    That was "explicitly spelled out" by a woman who was suffering from a psychotic persecution complex, and who likely was rejected from command training due to psychological instability rather than gender. It's the only time such a concept was even mentioned.

Meanwhile, ST:TNG explicitly showed us female starship commanders, including one who was in charge of a Galaxy-class ship (in the episode with the neural parasites).​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    jonsills wrote: »
    It was explicitly spelt out in the final episode that Kirk's 'world of Starship captains doesn't admit women'.
    That was "explicitly spelled out" by a woman who was suffering from a psychotic persecution complex, and who likely was rejected from command training due to psychological instability rather than gender. It's the only time such a concept was even mentioned.

Meanwhile, ST:TNG explicitly showed us female starship commanders, including one who was in charge of a Galaxy-class ship (in the episode with the neural parasites).

The episode never says why she was rejected for anything and Kirk was certainly going along with her. It can be argued that he was just playing along, but considering the tone of TOS, the implication that the surface text is literal is more likely.

And yes, I know TNG showed us female commanders, one of the TOS films did as well, as did eNT. I did say it was later retconned.​​

#TASforSTO

This discussion has been closed.