test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Just not feeling it. New ships 'future ones' don't even look Federation

I think we have come to the point where we have departed from the ideal of Star Trek.
The newest ship look cool in a way but they don't look like Federation ships.
The newest Klingon ships...LOOK like Klingon ships, same with Romulans.

I think we have stretched and blurred the lines too far on the Federation side.

ALSO - tech advancement has gone too far.

I think they need to introduce a wall. This far, no farther.
Power creep is now destroying the premise of Star Trek.

At some point they need to say....enough. The tech level of the ships at the start of the story
for characters is hundreds if not thousands of years behind the tech of T6 ships

If we stop the power creep...characters max, ships max power gamers will scream but it has to be done.
Make more adventures...more stories

Stop the power increases or we will end up with players becoming Q's and ships destroying planets in 1 volley

Comments

• sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    This ship sailed a looooooong time ago.

Just pick out the bits and pieces that you like an forget the rest. Has worked okay for me in the last few years.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I see saucers, pylons, fed colored nacelles ... they look like fed ships to me. Only thing that's somewhat missing is the secondary hull ... that T6 daedalus does look strange though so I'll give you that one.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    It's like you haven't even seen the Wells.

So no, they are exactly what all Federation ships are. Saucer, Neck, Nacelles, Pylons, Hull. Some have globe saucers (Daedalus, Olympic) some have no neck (Sovereign) some don't have round saucers (Nova), some have one nacelle (Freedom, Kelvin), some have three (Devron, Federation) or four (Constellation, Newton) and some look like the Wells, Defiant or Sarajevo i.e. unlike the others.

If you don't like the new ships just say that, don't pretend they don't 'look Federation' when they clearly do.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I would think that since they aren't Federation ships, they are from a successor state to all the cultures seen so far. It only makes sense that they should look it.

There has literally been no evidence or indication that such a state exists. In fact, it's been explicitly stated that the Federation exists well into the 37th century (the time period Agent Daniels is from).
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Except that the new designs are based off of the Enterprise J, which was featured in an episode of Star Trek: Enterprise. So they are based off of a canon Starfleet design from the 26th century.

• vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    I would think that since they aren't Federation ships, they are from a successor state to all the cultures seen so far. It only makes sense that they should look it.

There has literally been no evidence or indication that such a state exists. In fact, it's been explicitly stated that the Federation exists well into the 37th century (the time period Agent Daniels is from).

Go back and play Time and Tide and DON'T skip the damn dialog. By the time the accords are being signed, the three factions we have now are folded into a larger body called the Galactic Union. It's possible that there could be smaller political entities still similar to how the United Nations is made up of different countries. The Galactic Union is simply made up of smaller political entities.

As for Agent Daniels, he's from the 31st century, not the 37th.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    Not another one of these. Everytime a new ship or ships come out somebody out of the 300k Plus people that play STO doesn't like the way they look and end up making a post about it. I do have question though...whats in your...just kidding. Bored Much??
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User

Go back and play Time and Tide and DON'T skip the damn dialog. By the time the accords are being signed, the three factions we have now are folded into a larger body called the Galactic Union. It's possible that there could be smaller political entities still similar to how the United Nations is made up of different countries. The Galactic Union is simply made up of smaller political entities.

As for Agent Daniels, he's from the 31st century, not the 37th.
    And one of the members of the Galactic Union is the Federation - you get to talk with the Federation Ambassador, a Klingon in full ceremonial gear. (So apparently the Klingon Empire joins the Federation at some point...) On the other hand, there's still a separate Romulan nation, although it's not clear if it's the Republic, the Star Empire, or some amalgam of the two.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User

31st.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    I see saucers, pylons, fed colored nacelles ... they look like fed ships to me. Only thing that's somewhat missing is the secondary hull ... that T6 daedalus does look strange though so I'll give you that one. [/quote.

I like the Daedalus most out of all the new ships. That will be the one I fly first. It goes off the books with its design but in a way it retains the Star Trek feel. Thats are hard task to do but I think they did it with the Daedalus. Just my Opinion though. Truth is, I would bet the farm in the back of everybodys mind there is only one ship that everybody really wants, Vengence.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    fatherrock wrote: »

Star Trek - where all the imagination and potential of the infinite future goes to die.

Because HOW DARE ANYTHING CHANGE in hundreds of years. I mean, the 1960s guys totally should have been designing the original Connie with slipstream drives in mind in the first place, am I right?

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    hyefather wrote: »
    I see saucers, pylons, fed colored nacelles ... they look like fed ships to me. Only thing that's somewhat missing is the secondary hull ... that T6 daedalus does look strange though so I'll give you that one.

I like the Daedalus most out of all the new ships. That will be the one I fly first. It goes off the books with its design but in a way it retains the Star Trek feel. Thats are hard task to do but I think they did it with the Daedalus. Just my Opinion though. Truth is, I would bet the farm in the back of everybodys mind there is only one ship that everybody really wants, Vengence.

I personally have no interest in the Vengeance, and would only fly the JJ-prise if I could put a smaller neck on it. Never really saw the appeal of the Vengeance ... just looks ugly to me ... though I do like the concept of negative space in the saucer, something I also liked about the old perpetual designs.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • fatherrockfatherrock Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    yes they have saucers...very very thin ones...stretched out.....
    maybe 2 decks high ?
    will T7 fed ships be so flat they are 2D ?
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    I think we have come to the point where we have departed from the ideal of Star Trek.
    I think you're forgetting one thing (which has been already stated): the Enterprise-J seen in ST:E, who's design looked considerably like these new Fed ships. We all know it'll eventually upgrade to the designs seen in the 29th century, but until then, all they have is that image to go on, regarding 26th century Federation aesthetics.

I for one wasn't surprised, for soon as I saw those flat saucers, it reminded me exactly of the Enterprise-J's image. What I personally think of the aesthetics is kinda 'meh', but I know where they came from, and can accept it. Plus engineers love to change things anyway
    Post edited by trek21 on
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I agree, I really dislike the look of the Temporal ships.

Still, it's fine.. they're not for me but some people will like them.. so cool. I think they're hideous, which is great because I'm not going to worry about acquiring one. They look like they were designed by the same person that somehow thought the Phantom and Eclipse looked 'cool.'

I loathe the idea of the 'flat' saucer. To this day, I cannot bring myself to fly the Phantom for that very reason. Space pancakes just look silly.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Stop the power increases or we will end up with players becoming Q's and ships destroying planets in 1 volley
    This is completely wrong. If we ever get that powerful, Cryptic will just 10x the planet's hitpoints.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    The shapes look good, but I'm like the others. They look too thin, and won't take a beating.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • fatherrockfatherrock Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    I agree, I really dislike the look of the Temporal ships.

Still, it's fine.. they're not for me but some people will like them.. so cool. I think they're hideous, which is great because I'm not going to worry about acquiring one. They look like they were designed by the same person that somehow thought the Phantom and Eclipse looked 'cool.'

I loathe the idea of the 'flat' saucer. To this day, I cannot bring myself to fly the Phantom for that very reason. Space pancakes just look silly.

space pancakes...ya that
  • wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    space pancakes, could i have blueberries with that? please?
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I love my eclipse. To me it equal parts clearly Feddie, and not the same old same old.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Yes, because Starship designs do not change over six centuries. American cars don't look like the Model-T anymore, should we not buy them.

Naval Destroyers don't have four smokestacks anymore, or don't use sails anymore. What are we to do?

Seems like we get these Threads everytime another ship is released that isn't a flying saucer with a couple of crutches attached.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited June 2016

ALSO - tech advancement has gone too far.

I think they need to introduce a wall. This far, no farther.
    Power creep is now destroying the premise of Star Trek.

At some point they need to say....enough. The tech level of the ships at the start of the story
    for characters is hundreds if not thousands of years behind the tech of T6 ships

If we stop the power creep...characters max, ships max power gamers will scream but it has to be done.
    Make more adventures...more stories

Quick copy/paste job :D
    DUwNP.gif

• jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    We should go back in time to fix this!
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited June 2016

blame the Ent-J and its creator