test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Engineering consoles dont add up ??????

metallica#9475 metallica Member Posts: 47 Arc User
So damage resist of 21.2 % only equals 18.8% on my ship????????
Can anybody explain why this is lower on the ship stats???

thanks in advance

Comments

• orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    Damage Resistance Rating != Actual Damage Resistance

This is the formula that it goes by:

Damage_Resistance = 1-((1/4) + (3 * ((75/(150+Resistance_Rating))^2)))

There is a handy table and explanation here: http://sto.gamepedia.com/Damage_resistance

Basically you're starting to get into diminishing returns, you'll need more and more resistance rating to get noticable results.
  • metallica#9475 metallica Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    hmmmm that's interesting. thanks again Orion
    You're most welcome. Hope that helped! :)
  • raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    I have asked this question before but I will ask again. If I used Ablative Hull Armour, Tetraburnium Hull Armour, Monotanium Alloy and Neutronium Alloy will I still see diminishing returns and will it be a small, medium or large effect? I have noticed the page on Damage resistance was last updated in 28th July 2013, how accurate is the information on that page? There has been many patches since that year.
  • jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Damage reduction diminishing returns are based on a continuous function of your total resistance rating, not on the number and type of consoles you have equipped. Each armor console adds to your various resistance ratings, along with several other potential sources. The amount of diminishing return will largely depend on however much resistance rating you already have before you equip the armor consoles.

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
    raj011 wrote: »
    I have asked this question before but I will ask again. If I used Ablative Hull Armour, Tetraburnium Hull Armour, Monotanium Alloy and Neutronium Alloy will I still see diminishing returns and will it be a small, medium or large effect? I have noticed the page on Damage resistance was last updated in 28th July 2013, how accurate is the information on that page? There has been many patches since that year.

The table on the page I linked in, and the equation I posted are still accurate**, so you will notice some pretty significant loss of effectiveness if you stack armor consoles like that. So I'd recommend that you keep the Neutronium and swap the other two for some more useful consoles. Other sources of Damage Resistance Rating are also factored into dimininishing returns, like Starship Mastery, Accolades, traits, and even boff abilities like Auxiliary to Dampers. So, if you do gain Damage Resistance Rating bonuses from any of these they will also be affected.

**The equation I listed was provided by CrypticSpartan, a dev, in a different thread after I misinterpreted the equation listed on the Gamepedia site. (oops lol)
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    This is why even the game's best tanks don't use armor consoles. When you factor-in skills, traits, accolades and masteries you get into diminishing returns in resistance making it better to just slot in a different console for your Eng slots.
    edited June 2016
    What about platings instead of the armour consoles?
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    I usually use 1 of the Fleet Dilithium Mine armor consoles, get some resist and a bit of [Turn] for my Cruiser.

"Armor" consoles and "Plating" consoles both add to specific kinds of resistance rating, and if they have overlapping resistances can contribute to diminishing returns.
    I usually use 1 of the Fleet Dilithium Mine armor consoles, get some resist and a bit of [Turn] for my Cruiser.

^This is generally a good idea, if you must use an Armor/Plating console, as the fleet ones generally have higher stats than the basic models and have a [Mod] on them too! I like the Enhanced Neutronium [Turn] too!

Generally I'd say avoid any of the armor/plate consoles, especially if you run a T5-U/T6 cruiser, as Starship mastery usually adds a decent amount of Resistance Rating which will limit your consoles' effectiveness. Only if you find your damage resistance too low <15-25%, would I recommend using an armor console.
    orion0029 wrote: »

"Armor" consoles and "Plating" consoles both add to specific kinds of resistance rating, and if they have overlapping resistances can contribute to diminishing returns.

^This is generally a good idea, if you must use an Armor/Plating console, as the fleet ones generally have higher stats than the basic models and have a [Mod] on them too! I like the Enhanced Neutronium [Turn] too!

Generally I'd say avoid any of the armor/plate consoles, especially if you run a T5-U/T6 cruiser, as Starship mastery usually adds a decent amount of Resistance Rating which will limit your consoles' effectiveness. Only if you find your damage resistance too low <15-25%, would I recommend using an armor console.

Yes, I know alloy, armour and plating consoles each have specific resistances expect for some, which have similar resistances to other consoles for example neutronium and monotanium alloys.

You have typed "Armour" consoles and "Plating consoles both add to specific kinds of resistance rating, and if they have overlapping resistances can contribute to diminishing returns" So if I use alloy, armour and plating consoles with different resistances will I still receive diminishing returns? I know the answer will be no, but I want to make sure it is true. Also if this is true, if I used different consoles with different resistances but it was mentioned other methods can contribute to ship resistances, will I still recieve diminishing returns and how much?

edited June 2016

The fleet I am in has not reached that tier level yet. When we do I will be thinking about getting those fleet alloy, armour and plating consoles because they provide multiple benefits to the ship.
    orion0029 wrote: »

Yes, I know alloy, armour and plating consoles each have specific resistances expect for some, which have similar resistances to other consoles for example neutronium and monotanium alloys.

You have typed "Armour" consoles and "Plating consoles both add to specific kinds of resistance rating, and if they have overlapping resistances can contribute to diminishing returns" So if I use alloy, armour and plating consoles with different resistances will I still receive diminishing returns? I know the answer will be no, but I want to make sure it is true. Also if this is true, if I used different consoles with different resistances but it was mentioned other methods can contribute to ship resistances, will I still recieve diminishing returns and how much?

Oh, I get what you're saying now. Apologies for making you explain it out lol.

Short Answer: No, you can use both.

Long Answer: Diminishing returns only applies when you stack damage resistance rating of the same damage type (phaser, kinetic, antiproton, etc), so if you want to use multiple consoles which add different types of damage resistance they will only apply diminishing returns to their individual resistance ratings. So go ahead and use Diburnium plating with Monotanium, they won't interfere with each other!

Neutronium, however adds a bit of every damage resistance type (the 'All energy resistance rating' adds damage resistance to all energy types), so it will contribute to your diminishing returns regardless of the other armor/plate consoles you use. The benefit of it, is that you get a decent amount of resistance for all damage types with just the one console. :