test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Comments

• Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Meh.

Just a way to drum up new readers and possibly to entice old readers back.

It's not like this story will have any lasting consequences as Marvel will probably be rebooting their line (again) in a couple of years undoing everything that was unpopular before.

I do think it might make for an interesting read, but I gave up reading comics a few years back after they announced they were rebooting all their titles with new #1's and were starting 'fresh'. Since I stopped reading I think they've done that very thing at least once more, so...

Yeah, "meh" about sums it up for me.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    It's just like killing Superman...
    (and how long did that last...)
    Sells more comics.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    Honestly, part of me is curious how they do this. Because to me, it is just flat out character assassination for the purpose of getting more readers.

The thing is, it has the opposite effect on me. I don't have any desire to have a character i have loved and cared about for so long be flipped around like this, So it just makes me not want to read the comics until Marvel undoes it and goes back to the character being the way everyone knows, loves, and relates to.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I haven't actually read a Marvel or DC comic since the 1980ies (though I was an avid collector when I was younger and loved the silver age 1960ies/early 1970ies marvel comic era.) I've also enjoyed pretty much every Marvel Studios film.

That said, I agree with the above that's it's really a shabby way to treat the character (and I'm sure it will be undone or retconned again at some point - and although I didn't read the comic book version of the Civil War storyline - even I know Steve Rogers was assassinated at the end <--- And they undid/retconned that too.)

But yeah, cheap story stunts like this (IMO) for shiock value and the attempt to boost readership just rub me the wrong way - and it appears they are doing a large disservice to a beloved character with a 75 year history. YMMV.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Hey how 'bout that, me and Cap can be friends now!
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    rllaillieurllaillieu Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    *looks around furtively and then leans over and whispers* Hail Hydra, pass it on.
  • Options
    14s9iy_zpsa8bjc0zm.jpg
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    I bailed on that title when Time Bullets became a thing, so eh.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I'm guessing Skrulls.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    As an uninvolved party, it's no surprise. It's pretty much obligatory for superheros to go "evil" every once in a while. Never sticks.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Actually.... They long ago revealed that SHIELD was actually started as a HYDRA scheme.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZcG5UOY224
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    iamynaught wrote: »
    Meh.

Just a way to drum up new readers and possibly to entice old readers back.

It's not like this story will have any lasting consequences as Marvel will probably be rebooting their line (again) in a couple of years undoing everything that was unpopular before.

I do think it might make for an interesting read, but I gave up reading comics a few years back after they announced they were rebooting all their titles with new #1's and were starting 'fresh'. Since I stopped reading I think they've done that very thing at least once more, so...

Yeah, "meh" about sums it up for me.

+1 B)
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    As long as it doesn't affect the MCU I don't care pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I'm assuming cosmic-cube level shenanigans, at this points.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options

I read a writer quote that said it's not a clone, mind control, doppelganger, etc, it's really Cap and they've been building up to it since 2014.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    And Cap is faking it... :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options

I read a writer quote that said it's not a clone, mind control, doppelganger, etc, it's really Cap and they've been building up to it since 2014.

During the hugely successful Captain America movie series? I'm not sure I can see editorial going for it as a 'real' change.

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    edited May 2016

During the hugely successful Captain America movie series? I'm not sure I can see editorial going for it as a 'real' change.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/05/25/captain-america-writer-nick-spencer-why-i-turned-steve-rogers-into-a-supervillain.html
    What can we expect from the story going forward?

I would tell everybody to take the solicits and stuff that are out there with a real grain of salt. (Laughs.) We had to embellish somewhat so that nobody would get suspicious. What I think I can say to folks that might help them visualize where the story is going is that this is not so much a story about what has come before as it is about what comes next. The story is not Steve’s past, it’s Steve’s future.

So we’ve established that Captain America is Hydra. That is a huge moment in the Marvel universe, regardless of when it came to be or how it came to be. What that means in terms of the doors that are open to Steve, what he can do, and what he chooses to do with that power is what remains to be seen. But the thing that I can say is it’s a huge story I really can’t believe that they’re letting me do.

This is something that is gonna have a profound effect on the Marvel universe. I’ve seen a lot of people say things like, “Oh, it’ll be wrapped up in the arc,” or “Give it six months.” And I can tell you, that’s not the case. This has real lasting repercussions that are gonna be with us for a while.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    I suspect this is his version of being a "grey" character who really is still a hero even though he claims loyalty to HYDRA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDzoHT0E8SE
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    ayradyssayradyss Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Well . . . personally I think this ranks right up there for 'most ludicrous plot twist.' I haven't bought any comics for a while now, and this certainly isn't going to change that any. (Poor Coulson -- he'll be crushed when this comes out.)
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    I'm really not expecting the writers to actually use Captain America as an evil character...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
    This will be retconned faster than the "Electric powered Superman" of the 90's
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • Options
    How often does the Falcon's 'secret past' come up from a few years ago?

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    Yeah, this is a permanent change to the character. Just like when Steve got shot in the head, and Bucky became Captain America. Or when Steve came back to life, but was suddenly aged into his 70s as the Super-Soldier Serum started to wear off, and Sam Wilson became Captain America. Those were certainly permanent, weren't they?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    I'm really not expecting the writers to actually use Captain America as an evil character...

The problem is Cap has always and continues to be an "All American Hero". Hydra is the furthest from that. How you can make him an agent of Hyrda (and apparantly always so) and still be the character everyone knows and loves, is difficult for fans to except. Add on that Marvel's answer to fan concerns is "well read the comic and see", Pretty much turns me off of reading anything related to Captain America (and Marvel, though that is more because they have been making several bone head decisions of late, not just Cap.)
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    I believe Director Nick Fury put it best.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOEr7kiysrE
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    Just found some fan art depicting "Captain Hydra"

Captain-America-Hydra-Costume-by-BossLogic.jpg

You know I used to think of Captain America as one of the more boring super heroes (though not quite as bad as Superman), but the idea of Cap being evil or even just an anti-hero I actually really like.
    eaY7Xxu.png