test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The "biggest announcement yet" about STO at FedCon

szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
As many of you probably don't know Europe's biggest Star Trek convention in Bonn (Germany) is about to take place this weekend. Executive Producer Stephen Ricossa, Lead Artist Samuel Wall and Designer Tim ‚Suricata‘ Davis will be there to promote STO. They are going to announce a "World Premiere" and make the "biggest annoucement yet" about Star Trek Online. Be aware that the new expansion has already been announced in Germany as well, so it can't be that. I really wonder, what they're gonna say.

Source article (German): browsergames.de/star-trek-online/news/13419/1/star-trek-online-grosse-ankuendigung-auf-der-fedcon-2016-geplant.html

Link to the German blog (STO News section): arcgames.com/de/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9946553-fedcon%3A-nur-noch-48-stunden%21

Comments

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I can't resist...

Either a T-6 Connie is being added, or Shatner is Going to be Voicing Kirk in the game.

(and I wish I could read German)

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    it could be the expac, not many details have been shown about that, it could be more in game teasers of the new expac. it is still a little early to push the idea of the 50th anni until the next big convention which was already announced last year that cryptic will probably be attending.

http://www.startrek.com/article/official-50th-anniversary-convention-set-for-aug-3-7-2016
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    daveyny wrote: »
    I can't resist...

Either a T-6 Connie is being added or Shatner is Ging to be Vicing Kirkgame.

B)

That would be very nice, but hardly worth of superlatives.
    edited May 2016
    What could be something that would be a WORLD PREMIER?
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    edited May 2016
    Maybe They are going to announce a new game?

why would the STO team need to be there for that? Geko already mentioned that his development team has its hands full with upcoming content and if it were another game from Cryptic it would be cryptic executives and a PWE representative along with some new people that will make up the new team.

and im not editing your previously edited comment.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Let's Kill Hilter!

It's a crossover story episode where our Temporal Agents get to meet The Doctor, voiced by Sylvester McCoy stand-in Karl Urban.
    Maybe They are going to announce a new game?

why would the STO team need to be there for that? Geko already mentioned that his development team has its hands full with upcoming content and if it were another game from Cryptic it would be cryptic executives and a PWE representative along with some new people that will make up the new team.

and im not editing your previously edited comment.

I hope it's something good that will bring thousands of new players back to STO. But as you have said, Cryptic devs are busy making the new expansion. Unless they plan to hire more staff for a special project.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,390 Arc User
    John DeLancie as Q.

"Make it so!"
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    John DeLancie as Q.

"Make it so!"

He's doing the Timelines game. Doubt he's coming over here.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    nixboox wrote: »
    STO probably has the right to use material directly taken from the series. Maybe they have some unfinished episodes that were recorded but never aired...

If such material existed, CBS would have cashed in on it YEARS ago.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    talonxv wrote: »
    John DeLancie as Q.

"Make it so!"

besides its been stated a thousand times before, he does not care for STO.
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    Well they do keep getting actors to join

Another joins the ranks. Which I'm very glad is happening. Getting the real person in the game is awesome. Thank you!
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
    edited May 2016
    Maybe They got the rights to use whatever the Trek-2017 show comes up with.
    And They are doing a joint announcement with CBS about what the show entails.

THAT would be World Premier-ish.
    B)
    edited May 2016
    Maybe They got the rights to use whatever the Trek-2017 show comes up with.
    And They are doing a joint announcement with CBS about what the show entails.
    B)

not likely, geko mentioned in the podcast and i put it in the recent podcast thread in a list that one thing that cryptic tried was to get an agreement in place with the people running the new trek series and cbs, specifically that cryptic was far too ahead in its production of its game and the new series was not far enough along and it if had happen last year there could of been a chance.

No doubt cryptic are continuing to negotiate about it, but i doubt anything official will come down until some point next year.
    edited May 2016
    Gecko said They have been in negotiations with CBS, all the rest was about how soon anything from the new show could possibly hit the game.
    BUT, if They did get the rights, then you can bet your bippy that They would accordingly adjust Their release schedule for the game to try and include what ever They could from the show.

There's eight months before the show hits the airwaves, that's plenty of time to adjust the release schedule so that They could have something ready for then.

Even if it's only one thing.

And They don't have to release it when the show premiers, They could do it during the time the show is on the air.

B)
    Gecko said They have been in negotiations with CBS, all the rest was about how soon anything from the new show could possibly hit the game.
    BUT, if They did get the rights, then you can bet your bippy that They would accordingly adjust Their release schedule for the game to try and include what ever They could from the show.

There's eight months before the show hits the airwaves, that's plenty of time to adjust the release schedule so that They could have something ready for then.

Even if it's only one thing.

And They don't have to release it when the show premiers, They could do it during the time the show is on the air.

B)

i doubt anything will be released on cryptic until after cbs launches the new season for at least a few episodes and a few ship designs are made canon with on screen appearances and work out the tech specs.

also reread my quote that you responded from, notice the word: tried?
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Shatner is voicing the T-6 Connie computer. Sigourney Weaver will be the echo.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Shatner is voicing the T-6 Connie computer. Sigourney Weaver will be the echo.

I watched a YouTube video of his voice pack for Elite, he was pretty good as an AI.

I'm still going with a playable TARDIS in the next lock box.

Well, even just announcing that They got the license to Trek-2017 would be World Premier-ish.
    B)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    (and I wish I could read German)

B)
    My German's not perfect, but They're having Ricossa and Wall do a 2-day(Friday/Saturday) panel talking about stuff. Also Suricata will be there Friday to Monday.

As for the world premeire ness... dunno. But this panel is being held in Bonn, not in the US.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Suddendly I had a strange thought. What if Cryptic negotiated with Paramount and secured the rights on the JJ-verse? Might we see the JJPrise, Kelvin and the *snicker" Vengenance in the future?
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    STO probably has the right to use material directly taken from the series. Maybe they have some unfinished episodes that were recorded but never aired...

If such material existed, CBS would have cashed in on it YEARS ago.

Not if they didn't have an avenue to cash in on it years ago. Remember, STO was set 30 years in TNGs future...the idea of "Agents of Yesterday" was really only a glimmer in Cryptic/Atari's eye, but not a tangible reality.

At the very least, they would have released it at the same time as the TOS remaster as extra incentive for fans to buy it. Just like deleted scenes are used to push Blu ray movie sales.
    valoreah wrote: »
    I can't resist...

Either a T-6 Connie is being added, or Shatner is Going to be Voicing Kirk in the game.

Why not both?

For this announcement, Shatner or something similar is more likely IMHO, I don't expect a potential constitution announcement until much, much closer to release.

Shatner would get everyone very, very excited, a T6 Connie would crash the sto website like only a DDOS could, and should be used at the very end of the marketing campaign when all the content details have already gone out for one last, major boost in excitement going into launch.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    edited May 2016
    szim wrote: »
    Suddendly I had a strange thought. What if Cryptic negotiated with Paramount and secured the rights on the JJ-verse? Might we see the JJPrise, Kelvin and the *snicker" Vengenance in the future?

Oh wow... That is from so far out in left field that it could be possible.

And my past thread about the Expansion being TOS/JJ related would once again show my hidden talent for somewhat predicting the future.

(one I, didn't even know I had)

<chuckle>
    B)
    Premiere is a french word for "First", usually means Début as well, which means it is the first performance or first time.

So a World first: the TOS expansion for star trek online if you twist the word enough. if you twist the meaning enough it will also be the worlds first time that star trek online has a TOS expansion.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »
    John DeLancie as Q.

"Make it so!"

besides its been stated a thousand times before, he does not care for STO.

True. Very true.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    edited May 2016
    szim wrote: »

and the day something like that happens, i hope the sun explodes before something like that ever happens.
    Premiere is a french word for "First", usually means Début as well, which means it is the first performance or first time.

So a World first: the TOS expansion for star trek online if you twist the word enough. if you twist the meaning enough it will also be the worlds first time that star trek online has a TOS expansion.

But the OP stated They already announced that.
    B)