Install Arc

The Engine Needs to be Upgraded Badly

1234568»

Comments

• kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    nothing about STO is canon -.-
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    so let them make that mistake that ends up contradicting the show...games have ALWAYS been the lowest rung on the soft canon ladder - no reasonable person ever expects them to obey official hard canon​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    so let them make that mistake that ends up contradicting the show...games have ALWAYS been the lowest rung on the soft canon ladder - no reasonable person ever expects them to obey official hard canon​​

Oddly thats one of the things STO is actually good at. Even going into some gray areas like the shape of the unimatrix or the Rhihannsu novels. However going forward, unless they tie themselves hand n nut to the new TV show it will be impossible to keep that going I bet
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    STO isn't canon but nearly everything in it is BASED upon canon. They have next to no material to base a TOS Era KDF or ROM faction off of they would literally have to make it all up from scratch. What if this new show sets a story arc in that time frame and totally rewrites everything? Cryptic would likely be forced to go back and revamp everything or else have a glaring continuity issue in their game.
    samt1996 wrote: »
    STO isn't canon but nearly everything in it is BASED upon canon. They have next to no material to base a TOS Era KDF or ROM faction off of they would literally have to make it all up from scratch. What if this new show sets a story arc in that time frame and totally rewrites everything? Cryptic would likely be forced to go back and revamp everything or else have a glaring continuity issue in their game.

a non-issue really... besides one would think having a bit of creative freedom would appeal to them.
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Yes but you underestimate just how violent and malevolent hardcore fans are... this isn't just any alien race they'd be messing with but the two most iconic in the franchise (after vulcans) it would not go over well no matter what they did. And all of this to attract a fraction of a fraction of the playerbase over to play. It makes no sense no matter what perspective you take.
    Yes but you underestimate just how violent and malevolent hardcore fans are... this isn't just any alien race they'd be messing with but the two most iconic in the franchise (after vulcans) it would not go over well no matter what they did. And all of this to attract a fraction of a fraction of the playerbase over to play. It makes no sense no matter what perspective you take.

dude I'm one of those violent fans that's still ....peeved... over what they did for LoR :P they didn't care then they wouldn't care now
  • farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    Lighting changes:
    Next up, we invested heavily in our engine and added several modern lighting technologies that significantly improved the visual quality of the game. Deferred lighting, light probes, and improvements to our High Dynamic Range lighting system combine to provide more realistic lighting that feels like a true refresh to the game. These technologies, and the skilled artists that bring them to bear, create an experience that is not only more immersive, but simply put, more beautiful. To the community that has been with us for over half a decade, I want you to know that these lighting improvements will be coming to the PC version of the game later this year as well.

Note the last sentence: the lighting improvements are going to PC as well.

UI changes (the part that was really needed, because the UI is a huge performance hog):
    Alongside the lighting system, we decided the entire UI needed not only a complete graphical overhaul but to have its entire back-end rewritten. The goal here was to create a UI that was incredibly streamlined on the back-end to ensure the best game performance possible, while also creating a brand new experience purposely built for the controller. We’re really proud of how this looks and how well it performs, and I’m excited for everyone to see it in action.

Note how there is zero mention of this overhaul going to PC. Some people can barely play with the UI lag.
    so the word "everyone" just flies right by you? not "excited for ps4/xbone users to see it" not "excited for console players to see it" but "everyone" to see it.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    This is why they dont put up disclaimers or clarify information.... because even
    TL;DR

Why don't they put those engine upgrades into the PC version, too?!

:p
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    I swear people these days have the reading comprehension of a mentally challenged cinder block...
    The last cinder block I tried to talk to, acted more like a brick wall.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    This is why they dont put up disclaimers or clarify information.... because even
    TL;DR

Why don't they put those engine upgrades into the PC version, too?!

:p

too many of those questions have been asked seriously in the last few days -.-
  • jarenriccarjarenriccar Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    :::cough:::

So you are switching to Unity engine to make this a console game! I KNEW IT!

;)

Who said What about the Unity engine?? they said they "invested heavily in [their] engine" meaning the Cryptic engine they already use
    I swear people these days have the reading comprehension of a mentally challenged cinder block...

This made me bust out laughing, thank you
    27507930894_3855d74146_o.jpg

• tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    All the updates are cross-platform and launch this fall. Did you even read the blog?

We did, it says the updates will be coming to PC later in the year, so the console first mentality has already begun and the port isn't even released yet

That's a pretty rash reading of events.

The lighting updates on PC are likely not launching at the same time as the Console, but that doesn't mean at all that console has some priority over PC. We love you both equally. <3
    I wanna buy taco a beer or whatever his favorite beverage of choice is :P

I don't drink alcohol, but I do like Bundaberg!
    Guys seriously though, why are so many people on these forums so miserable?

Emotional investment. It takes a bit of distance and perspective sometimes to discuss a topic you are emotionally invested in without succumbing to the emotion. In short, sometimes it's hard to chill out.

Once you do chill out, the forums are amazing fun! (And I'm not being snarky, most people on here are genuinely fun to talk to when there's some chill involved).

:smiley:

:::hugs!:::

nikephorus wrote: »
    Guys seriously though, why are so many people on these forums so miserable?

Emotional investment. It takes a bit of distance and perspective sometimes to discuss a topic you are emotionally invested in without succumbing to the emotion. In short, sometimes it's hard to chill out.

Once you do chill out, the forums are amazing fun! (And I'm not being snarky, most people on here are genuinely fun to talk to when there's some chill involved).

:smiley:

This is spot on. I used to often bash the game, the devs, and cryptic, but it wasn't because I disliked the things so listed, It was because I have invested a lot of time, and money into the game and I care about it. I've tried to "chill out" as you put it. I still will be critical about things I don't like, but I try to be more respectful when I do.

While many devs are afraid of setting foot in the forums, one of the main things I try to remind them (and myself) of, is that if people didn't care, they wouldn't complain. If you're complaining, you care about something, and want something to be better. Silence and Apathy are much worse signs than Trolls and Flames.
    farranor wrote: »
    Irony: STO actually is getting almost a new engine, in the form of big upgrades.

But only for consoles. Not PC.

Not so. PC will be getting the lighting upgrades as well, but likely not at the same time.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    farranor wrote: »
    Some people can barely play with the UI lag.
    I have a strong suspicion that the larger part of UI -generated fps-drops or lagging is actually caused by the UI frontend, not the backend, mentioned in the blog.
    And we are definitely not getting a frontend from consoles anytime soon if at all (and this is really a good thing).

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    Not so. PC will be getting the lighting upgrades as well, but likely not at the same time.

it's not really the lighting upgrades people are overly concerned about only consoles getting, but those backend improvements to the UI code - are PCs getting THOSE too? because the current UI desperately needs an improvement in how it runs​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    I wanna buy taco a beer or whatever his favorite beverage of choice is :P

I don't drink alcohol, but I do like Bundaberg!

I have no idea what that is but I'll totally buy ya one! :P Im not one for booze either