test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PODCAST] Priority One Podcast 266 | Full Temporal Front

winters83winters83 Member Posts: 486 Media Corps
Greetings, Admirals! You’re listening to EPISODE 266 OF PRIORITY ONE PODCAST, your weekly report on all things Star Trek! Available for download or streaming on Monday, April 18th, 2016 at PriorityOnePodcast.com!

This week we Trek Out a few updates for both the Star Trek Film and TV series! Mark and Kenna are looking at some of the new features of Star Trek Online’s season 11.5 launch. In our On Screen segment, Cookie and Elijah are reviewing the Next Generation episode Angel One. And later, our graphic artist Henry aka Romulan Ale, is back with another fan art review.

As usual, before we wrap up the show, we’ll open hailing frequencies for your incoming messages.

TOPICS DISCUSSED Trek It Out Star Trek Online News Star Trek Online Release Notes Tracking the Devs On Screen

This week’s Community Questions:

What would YOU like to see as the second series in an anthology-type Star Trek show?
How would you like to see Star Trek Online be represented on screen, or, have it influenced by the series?
And from our On Screen segment: Do you think Angel One had too many stories going on? What were the Romulans doing in the Neutral Zone?

Let us know YOUR thoughts on this week’s episode by commenting below!

BE SURE TO VISIT OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL AND SUBSCRIBE TO THE PREMIER STAR TREK ONLINE PODCAST!

Priority One Productions is always looking for new team members that have a passion for Star Trek. Please know that all of our positions are volunteer, but we do offer a well-known outlet for your work. If you have a skill that you believe could enhance our content, then send your contact information and experience along with a few writing samples to incoming@priorityonepodcast.com

Did you miss any of our great Blogs last week? Stop by THIS LINK and see for yourself! How about our latest Video Release? You can also follow us on the social media sites! We’re on Facebook! Head over to WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/PRIORITYONEPODCAST and say, “Hi!” Or, Check us out on Twitter via @stopriorityone for show times and other cool stuff.

Liked this episode? Totally hated it? Leave a comment below or CONTACT US via our handy web form! Enjoy the show!

STREAM WHILE YOU PLAY & DOWNLOAD FOR LATER (iTUNES AND MP3):
Web: http://priorityonepodcast.com/po266
iTunes: Priority One Podcast

SUBSCRIBE:
OUR RSS FEED

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER:
STOPriorityONE​​
Twitter: @P1Winters83 YouTube: WintersGaming
=/\= ========================================== =/\=
Fleet Admiral Winters - Priority One Armada
U.S.S. Wolverine - NCC 831216
=/\= ========================================== =/\=
Armada Leader // Executive Producer // Host // Priority One Podcast

Comments

• tylermaxwelltylermaxwell Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    What would YOU like to see as the second series in an anthology-type Star Trek show?
    Honestly, even if I did believe the rumor about the new Trek series (which I don't, random name websites don't hold much credibility for me), I don't really see the appeal of an 'Anthology' type show. While the rest of the shows were (at least in their good parts) about going into new territory, not just a new place or setting but the kind of stories they tell, all that an Anthology show does is wade around in the areas and time periods between the shows that we actually care about, or give little 'fanwinks', or do something like explore where the Red Alert system came from (a very groan worthy episode). That doesn't seem like enough to sustain or generate new viewer interest over the long-term, which is ultimately what is needed. An Anthology show is like filling some of the colors in an almost-complete picture, as opposed to making a whole new one that is interesting in its own right.

So as much as some different time periods in the Star Trek universe (maybe a Temporal Agents adventure or the Romulan War) might be interesting to watch for an episode or two, I can't see a season or a full-fledged Anthology series being much more successful than Enterprise was; a show that was trying to liberally execute fan nods and attract new viewers at the same time, yet succeeding at neither.

How would you like to see Star Trek Online be represented on screen, or, have it influenced by the series?
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not sure that the show people and the game people can work at the same pace. It takes a week or two for a TV show to produce approximately 1 hour worth of content, sometimes with multiple script rewrites and such in the middle, right? While a game team may need a month or more for the equivalent amount of content due to the complex computery tasks involved? I'm not convinced that a STO-on-TV show could deliver the sort of 'cohesive transmedia synergy' or whatever it's called that would be expected by players and fans without some setbacks on either front; either the game can't produce missions/content fast enough to correctly align with their corresponding TV episodes, or the TV story has to be pre-baked and shallow in execution to prevent conflicts with what the game is making. To be remotely doable, any game and TV show connections would have to be rather thin at best.

So if STO were to be represented or mirrored in a new Star Trek series, maybe it would be cool to see some of our favorite characters appear on-screen, like Captain Shon (but he might have to be portrayed/voiced by a different actor :( ), or a few of the better looking ships; I especially like the Guardian Cruiser or the Aelahl Warbird for the Romulans. Beyond that, it'd probably just be occasional shared mentions like one of the show characters reading an article about the reelection of President Okeg or something.

And from our On Screen segment: Do you think Angel One had too many stories going on? What were the Romulans doing in the Neutral Zone?
    Putting aside Riker's pioneering exploration into 'Deep V-necks' :D , I think the episode went about as well the other 'wackier' episodes of Season 1; don't really know about the "too many stories" situation. And as far as I remember, the Romulan thing in the Neutral Zone definitely comes up later, along with allusions to another potential threat... *Dun dun DUNNNN!*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]