test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PODCAST] Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 213: "Star Trek and Beyond"

midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 213: "Star Trek and Beyond" has warped on to Holosuite Media, you can download and stream it from:
Tribbles213.png

The Tribbles in Ecstasy crew discuss Star Trek Online's news including Cryptic's release of Season 11.5 (Don't worry there are no spoilers for the new Featured Episode!), Star Trek Timelines with Distruptor Beam's release of update 1.10. The team also talk about all the other latest Star Trek news about Star Trek Beyond, Unoffical Productions, Conventions and more.

The topics discussed this week are:
  • Star Trek Online,
    • Giveaways,
    • Sales,
    • Season 11.5,
    • Foundry Spotlight and,
    • Roleplay Blogs
  • Star Trek Timelines 1.10 update,
  • For the Love of Spock – Documentary Film,
  • Star Trek Beyond,
  • Star Trek Continues,
  • Star Trek Horizon,
  • Conventions,
  • and more!

Our community questions this week are:
  1. Do you have any build questions for Timber Wolf about builds and the new skills?
  2. What do you think of STO's Season 11.5?
  3. What are your thoughts on Star Trek Online's new Featured Episode?

Please reply to this post with any feedback you have about any topic we've covered or even about the show in general, we'd love to hear what our listeners have to say.

Please help friend of the show and fellow Star Trek Online player and podcaster Mav with donations to support his recovery with his current health situation here: http://www.gofundme.com/tomsrecovery.

LLAP

Comments

• alex1geralex1ger Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    Hey there.

Community questions:

1.) Nope, nothing, no questions, I just don't care that much. And if I did, well, I remember the drill from WoW so I would probably be able to do the necessary research myself.

2.) Well, the story continues seamlessly. I can't believe I'm saying it, but so far the problems that plague this "story arc" are about on par with what the Iconian War threw at me.
    What is this? I don't even...

3.) I'm getting there... just wait...

Temporal Front review:
    I played it twice. On my fed-aligned female romulan scientist. So... I don't know all the dialogue options yet, although the thought of having to pay attention to the "story" a few more times makes me physically ill. Thanks, Cryptic.

Let me take a look at my notes:
    Oh right at the start, when D'Tan briefs me about how this summit has been planned because of the data I brought from the future.
    *headdesks repeatedly*
    You know, whenever Picard broke the Prime Directive, he kinda made it look like it was a somewhat reasonably big deal. And here we are, just taking turns violating the Temporal Prime Directive for no good reason or maybe we just keep forgetting it exists. I'm not entirely sure.
    What I do know is that I feel dirty and no shower will ever wash away the guilt I'm feeling right now. Thanks, Cryptic.

But let's move ahead... So we go to New Romulus and beam down to the embassy and a female tellarite Lt. Cmdr. welcomes us. Well, that's the most pleasant tellarite I've ever met. I hope we get to see a lot more of her. (Yes, I know how it ends. *facepalm*) But since we can ask her why a Lt. Cmdr. works as an honor guard... why exactly is there no romulan/reman honor guard? Or maybe three honor guards, one from each faction?

Moving along... Oh, hello Ambassadors Surah and Skyl. You both sound so very different. Now, that could be different voice actors because of STO's SAG-affiliation, but you could have at least asked them to try and somewhat emulate their respective voices/speech patterns. Or maybe say those two have been killed during the Iconian War and introduce us to their replacements?

Oh... Ambassador T'Pela! I remember you! You were aide T'Pela on Vulcan back then when my fed characters were tasked with bringing the vulcan ambassador... what's his name... the undine infiltrator... to P'Jem. I don't remember whether you had a voice actor back then, but it's so very nice to see you again and to hear that Lani Minella gets to voice a second vulcan (T'Nae is also in attendance) within less than 5 minutes. *starts twitching*

Btw., we're on New Romulus and not just the honor guard is a fed, Ambassador Sugihara announces that conference is about to start. You know... why even bother doing this on New Romulus, when the federation gets to do all the important stuff anyway?
    I may be a "fed bear", but even I think this is rather silly...

Let's get to the cutscene... So, Ambassador S'taass sounds somewhat different. Less hissing if you ask me... And look at that... he points fingers at commander Jarok and the romulans while letting Captain Shon and Subcommander Kaol take care of the poisoned J'mpok. How nice of him. And really inconsistent, if you think about it. If he thought this was "romulan treachery", why would he... you know... nevermind.

Btw., I am impressed that someone thought of a security lockdown (unlike in Time and Tide...), but did you really need to wait until an assassin makes an attempt on Okeg's life? Why not initiate the security/emergency lockdown because of the suspected poisoning/apparent medical emergency? That would make too much sense, eh? Just like evacuating all the important people after the "attempt" on J'mpok would have made sense...

And just for giggles... Why did the assassin "poison" J'mpok (apparently he gets better afterwards) instead of everybody? I mean, use a time-delayed poison for all the drinks and profit! Or use a poison that would actually kill J'mpok and then kill Okeg?
    Or some 29th century genetically engineered weaponized virus?
    Or just a good old bomb?
    Or get up close and personal and use a poisoned dagger and vaporize yourself afterwards with some microexplosives that leave no usable traces behind?
    I guess what I'm trying to say is... what an embarrassingly bad assassin. And it gets worse. -.-

So, we catch up to her and subdue her and she is trained to withstand torture and will be uncooperative and we just "guess" our way through this part and she is so impressed by our superior intellect that she confirms everything instead of actually trying to throw us off. How... uncooperative of you? *shrugs*

Okay, Cryptic, if you're not taking this seriously, I won't either.
    This review ends here. You would have to pay me to keep going.

Verdict:

- I love the plethora of different dialogue options. I really do. That's why the rest of the episode is even more disappointing to me.

- This FE fits in really well with the likes of "Time and Tide". This is less than shoddy writing, it is downright insulting my intellect.

If you at least tried to have any of this make any sense what so ever, this episode might have been... maybe a 6 or a 7 out of 10. As it is right now... 3 out of 10. Yeah, I know, that's still way too generous.
  • woodyvalleywoodyvalley Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    I'm going to keep it positive by saying, or typing, nothing of significance at all.

But it gives alternative than giving a feedback give away to Alex each week.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]