test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Duty officers & the exchange

Does anyone else ever feel a little weird putting people up for sale?

I know in reality we're just trading digital cards, so it doesn't really bother me much, but every now and then I realize that in-game my Starfleet officers are stamping price tags on people and putting them up for auction.

This realization strikes a little more discomfort than the mass slaughter, since at least the killing can be somewhat rationalized as defense against aggressors.

Comments

• semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    Skip!
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• misterlozmisterloz Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    Consider it more as the crewman putting in a transfer request. When you 'buy' them you're really just approving their request to join your own crew, or accepting their request to 'leave' for pastures new.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    misterloz wrote: »
    Consider it more as the crewman putting in a transfer request. When you 'buy' them you're really just approving their request to join your own crew, or accepting their request to 'leave' for pastures new.

This is how I see it. And the price you pay is the transfer fee.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    It's a lot like how professional sports teams trade players. They're not slave labor.... but the terms of their employment mean that the location of their employment could change.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    It's better than Fleet projects where we send them off to the farm to romp and play.

(Please ignore the screaming and rivers of blood on deck 13.)
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    If any of my duty officer complain about reassignment I need only remind them about what just happened to the rest of the crew.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    EC can be viewed as not actual money, but a kind of prestige earned through offering favors to others and asking for them. So, rather than buy and sell DOffs, you are actually offering DOffs overshadowed by superior performers on your ship an opportunity to become top performers on another. One captain may have too many security officers, and a captain who needs one may well feel obliged to a captain who transfers one to his command. Meanwhile, the captain receiving the security officer may have trained a few too many quartermasters, who find themselves in need of greater opportunities to continue their career.
    [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8hcHXwqPEo[/media]
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    I am a slave trader and I enjoy it.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    My racist fleet admiral doesn't like white duty officers and sells them for cheap on the exchange.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    And never mind the Bridge Officers who are sent to the Solyent Green tanks so we can produce a digital training manual.

Hmm, there is something about that wall in Starbase Tactical that reminds me of Crewman Farnsworth. Just can't put my finger on it.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    And never mind the Bridge Officers who are sent to the Solyent Green tanks so we can produce a digital training manual.

Hmm, there is something about that wall in Starbase Tactical that reminds me of Crewman Farnsworth. Just can't put my finger on it.

I tend to think of that as more of an appearance/personality issue.

"We don't really like the way you look and/or act, but we love that thing that you can do with the shields. Just enter how you do it into this PADD and get back to the nearest starbase. I'm sure someone will take you aboard."

We're also not slaveholders. We are, in fact, deities. Every time you commission a bridge officer, the game even tells you as much. "You have created Whateverhisnameis." Sometimes I create Saurians without Efficient or Romulans without any kind of Romulan Operative, proving that I am either an imperfect deity, or a cruel one.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    If not for the exchange, they would likely have been used right off for "Send a &!+©# to the B'Tran Cluster" type missions.
    Isn't this better?
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    So... the Exchange is run by the Orion Syndicate?
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    If putting people up for sale on the exchange makes you feel uneasy then the following will blow you out of your shoes. Prisoners and colonists come in small boxes and they can even be discarded !!

As to your original question, no, it's not weird. This is a game, playing in a fictional future, in a fictional world with fictional people. If it wasn't then killing millions of aliens on your path to become fleet admiral would worry me much more than putting doffs and boffs up for sale.
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    Better to put them up for sale than airlock them which I have done a time or too
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    szim wrote: »
    If putting people up for sale on the exchange makes you feel uneasy then the following will blow you out of your shoes. Prisoners and colonists come in small boxes and they can even be discarded !!

As to your original question, no, it's not weird. This is a game, playing in a fictional future, in a fictional world with fictional people. If it wasn't then killing millions of aliens on your path to become fleet admiral would worry me much more than putting doffs and boffs up for sale.

I can't tell you how many of Hyrule's faeries I've trapped in bottles to revive me in emergencies over the course of various Legend of Zelda games. :)
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • tigrovaya13akulatigrovaya13akula Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    "My God! Energy credits are made from PEOPLE!

SoylentGreen_156Pyxurz.jpg
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    Haven't you heard?

fayhers%20starfleet_zpsvkkzeuye.jpg
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • mmps1mmps1 Member Posts: 381 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I enjoy airlocking doffs . It's a cruel universe we fly in.
    "Mr talks down to the peasants."
  • tigrovaya13akulatigrovaya13akula Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    mmps1 wrote: »
    I enjoy airlocking doffs . It's a cruel universe we fly in.

Not to imply that our doffs are in any way, even related to Cylons ... We do get at least 5 (or more) dilithium ore from "Airlocking" excess doffs that are "Bound to character"... Muahahaha

299484e72d79050d7fce513c9c2343c5.jpg

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    anodynes wrote: »
    szim wrote: »

I can't tell you how many of Hyrule's faeries I've trapped in bottles to revive me in emergencies over the course of various Legend of Zelda games. :)
    Yeah, that was always a super weird mechanic...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    Seriously. Like there's any way to keep a real fairy in a bottle. Probably easier to get a Djinni into a lamp. *rolleyes*
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,800 Arc User
    The PC police in our tails...Worf run for your life.mouse-2.gif​​
    DUwNP.gif

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    No, the abstractions of the MMORPG genre don't make me feel "weird."

Anyone who does, needs to stop taking everything literally.