test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread for Skill Revamp (v3.0!)

Comments

• borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    EDIT: The new PEN skills are also making the PEN mod weapons worthless, if you have the skills that is. Never use PEN weapons with PEN skills.

This is just flatly untrue. I question your testing methodology.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    One of the engineering captain abilities just got reworked in the latest tribble patch.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    EDIT: The new PEN skills are also making the PEN mod weapons worthless, if you have the skills that is. Never use PEN weapons with PEN skills.

Not only have I never noticed any damage change stacking 4 penetrations up, let me quote from the dev live stream Q&A

Q, Do the new shield and hull penetration skills stack with the [PEN] modifier?
    A, They’re the same thing under the hood. They don’t stack, but they both apply
    .”

The PEN mod on weapons do nothing if you have the pen skills from everything I have seen.

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I always wondered what this was supposed to really say, because it doesn't make sense.

It might just mean that you can't just "stack" them by adding the values, but if they both apply, they both seem to be doing something, don't they?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited March 2016

Not only have I never noticed any damage change stacking 4 penetrations up, let me quote from the dev live stream Q&A

.”

The PEN mod on weapons do nothing if you have the pen skills from everything I have seen.

if you think it's a bug, maybe put it in the bug section with data and evidence? Bort already explained (several times) how it's supposed to work. Right now you're just being a great example of how not to get something fixed.
    edited March 2016
    rmy1081 wrote: »

.”

if you think it's a bug, maybe put it in the bug section with data and evidence? Bort already explained (several times) how it's supposed to work. Right now you're just being a great example of how not to get something fixed.
    Did you misread my post? I never said it was a bug and the line "They’re the same thing under the hood. They don’t stack, but they both apply" is how the devs said it worked.
    edited March 2016
    Question:

Does the Hangar Health / Damage selector in the tactical bar also buff teammates, separated pets, and hangar pets like the tac skills do now? If so, maybe the name should be changed so it's more desireable and understandable. If not, then maybe that would be a good change so people won't feel they're selecting a useless buff.
    edited March 2016

.”

Did you misread my post? I never said it was a bug and the line "They’re the same thing under the hood. They don’t stack, but they both apply" is how the devs said it worked.

yeah I did. I remember bort saying they both apply a debuff and both work ( I think it was in his and trendy's livestream). Maybe the wording is bad or there's some miscommunication, but it's obvious bort disagrees with you. Maybe you can show a parse or something.

.”

yeah I did. I remember bort saying they both apply a debuff and both work ( I think it was in his and trendy's livestream). Maybe the wording is bad or there's some miscommunication, but it's obvious bort disagrees with you. Maybe you can show a parse or something.
    That was the live stream that said they didn't stack. Not got time to re watch it right now. The Text version is posted here. http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/comment/12877600
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited March 2016

Why are they not stacking? Why is this dynamic being introduced?

T93uSC8.jpg
  • iusassetiusasset Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    [Moved to separate thread]
    Post edited by iusasset on
  • crypticspartan#0627 crypticspartan Member Posts: 847 Cryptic Developer
    I believe there is confusion in here. To clear this up:

If you have a weapon with a Pen mod, it will ignore 10 resistance rating when it shoots.

If you have a weapon without the Pen mod, but have the Advanced Hull Penetration unlock, it will ignore 10 resistance rating when it shoots.

If you have a weapon with the Pen mod, and have the Advanced Hull Penetration unlock, it will ignore 20 resistance rating when it shoots.
  • cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    illcadia wrote: »
    I disagree.. Hull cap is big in my builds as a engineering tank. I can easily repair subsystems with out that and battery is not very helpful to my build, sure it's some what useful in maintaining power but it's not ground breaking. But getting my hull to the highest it can be helps against burst builds. I think choosing between hull cap and threat is bad. Threat and subsystem repair would be better.

Except that's exactly the sort of choice this is intended to be. It's intended to be meaningful- which is to say both options have meaning and make you think, rather than just being automatic cookie cutter whatever.

With your example, your argument comes down to, if I'm reading this right 'I don't want to make meaningful choices, I don't like the choice that encourages me not to just check off all the ticks' and from the stated design goals of this skill revamp, 'that' is bad.

If threat control gets swapped with hangar pet health of course this will all be moot, but until that's locked in, I really feel that my suggestion is worth a further look for the very reason that it does encourage more exploration of builds- by players old and new.

Besides, from a tanking perspective, it's only 5% of base hull. You get more from rep traits, you get more from jevonite hardpoints, you get more from consoles. But if you've gotta, gotta have that extra hull, you can get it at the cost of a little itty bitty extra threat.

But there's another thing you're missing here- and that's threat control isn't just extra threat. it's less threat when you don't have threatening stance active. That's huge for squishier players- and promotes, for those players, a meaningful choice. Extra hull is more survivability, sure, but so is a threat decrease. And 5% isn't that much extra, but -100 threat generation can be huge to the right builds.

This really encourages diversity and experimentation for builds because the choice is meaningful without also being crippling. That's the stated design goal here.

If you just want eazymode, then I can't really help you with that, maybe you should go argue that we shouldn't have trees and should just be able to pick whichever nodes we want at any level, idk.

Your argument invalidates your original argument, you are arguing that it's ok for it to be that kind hard choose. Since it appears that this is currently too hard of a choose for you and others. It's currently functioning exactly how you are arguing. This is contradictory logic.

That is why I suggested it be subsystem repair vs threat. Because any other way who would not pick threat control over + max hull hp? Thous a easy choose, I don't know of a build that wouldn't in some way benefit from threat reduction or threat +. But many don't need the hull + except for those who need threat +. But threat plus > the hull hp always in the builds that max this stat.

It is not crippling for plus negative threat, which did not exist before this to also have to choose between - threat, and batteries. Not to mention the engi eps trait is now not effected by battery. While threat + did exist , those builds that now have - threat won't all the sudden become worse because they don't have max threat -.

Easy mode isn't that what your suggesting for a build you want ? You have hard choose.. Even though it's easy for me to choose hull over subsystem repair because i have other ways of countering that doesn't mean that subsystem repair isn't a very useful option to me especially since in pvp It's fairly easy to pop all my clears and still get ripped up from drain builds.

In the end we have different styles, different wants. We both want whats best for our builds and we want the easiest solutions don't delude your self into thinking that's not what we aren't arguing about. That's why i think my suggestion is the best of both worlds a compromise.
    Post edited by cryptkeeper0 on
    edited March 2016
    So if we have 69% resistances and someone has pen weapons and this skill then only 49% of our armor applies correct? I need to reiterate that we need a way to reduce incoming penetration because as it stands penetration skills keep being added to the game but the diminishing returns of armor makes it impossible to defend against unless I'm misunderstanding. It's not as if tanks were ever overpowered at all so Im curious why this uneven treatment was introduced? I don't even fly tanks I'm just looking out for my buddies who do.

@kyle223cat ;)

Wouldn't it make more sense to have penetration skills ignore a percentage of the armor rating? For example I have 200 points into armor resistances before diminishing returns apply so why not have it ignore 10% of that number? This would give them the same as diminishing returns tanks suffer from which evens things out. That way if I want to increase my armor skill to 250, even though I won't gain much usable armor, I will be better protected from penetration skills giving me a reason to invest heavily in armor. This would affect heavily armored ships very well while giving almost no benefit against enemies with little or no armor. This could seriously balance things out like a lot.

Am I making sense guys?
    edited March 2016
    @samt1996 - That's not how armor penetration works. It's a damage resistance rating debuff, which means it suffers from diminishing returns (and a maximum effective final multiplier) the same as everything else, and also means it can be countered by...increasing damage resistance rating (e.g., armor consoles, rep skills, powers like Hazard Emitters/Aux to Struct/Polarize Hull). Nothing to see, here.
    edited March 2016

If you have a weapon with a Pen mod, it will ignore 10 resistance rating when it shoots.

If you have a weapon without the Pen mod, but have the Advanced Hull Penetration unlock, it will ignore 10 resistance rating when it shoots.

If you have a weapon with the Pen mod, and have the Advanced Hull Penetration unlock, it will ignore 20 resistance rating when it shoots.
    Could you please confirm the trait also stacks with both of the above and what about the tac console with armor pen so we can have 4 stacks together? The confusion came from http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1213359/official-feedback-thread-for-skill-revamp-v3-0/p3 where it was said they do not stack.
    @pottsey5g - You misunderstand. Spartan and Borticus mean that having multiple sources of armor penetration will not amplify one another (that's how I interpret stack). In the transcript you linked earlier, it was explicitly said that multiple sources of armor penetration will simultaneously apply.

So yes, all sources of armor penetration "stack" (to use your parlance), in the sense that all contribute (in concert) towards the target's final damage resistance modifier as applies to your damage, not that one will apply at the expense of all others.
    Thank you for clearing that up I was hoping that's how it worked. Do you have any sources or experiments documented to prove this? The dev's telling us how it works would also be nice. :)
  • alphahydrialphahydri Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Like others in this thread, I am not thrilled with having to now choose between Threat Control and Battery Expertise. Even on non-tanking builds, the reduced threat generation can be a life-saver, and batteries are useful on any ship for both DPS and tanking. To me, both skills are necessities in nearly every build, so choosing between them only complicates things.

Given my view that both of these skills are incredibly versatile and necessities in most builds, I do approve of them having lower requirements to access on those progression bars. Battery Expertise was always low on those progression bars, but Threat Control being moved to a lower spot as well is very much appreciated.

That being said, here are some things I've noted in the thread for these most recent patch notes that would be better served if they were moved here:
    1. Have you guys looked into the stat distributions for the Assimilated Deflector Array yet? Currently on Tribble the Assimilated Deflector Array provides no bonuses to Drain Expertise, despite having Power Insulators pre-skill revamp. It seems the Power Insulators skill the deflector previously boosted has been incorrectly rolled into Control Expertise.
    2. It seems to me that the skill icons for the ground skills are really dull and a lot less vivid than their space counterparts or the specialization skill icons. Even when you have the skill specced into, the icons are noticeably less brighter than other skill icons. I don't know why this is, and I was wondering if you guys would consider this an issue in need of a fix or an intentional design choice?
    3. The description for the "Improved Flanking Damage" skill on the bottom progression bar for ground skills still doesn't tell exactly how much of a damage boost it provides. This is bothersome when compared to its sister skill "Improved Flanking Resistance" and all other self-boosting skills on that progression bar that do provide exact numbers.
    4. The "Drain Infection" skill for space also doesn't provide numbers on its tooltip as to how much damage its DoT effect does. This is critical information for many, as damage numbers would let people know if its worth speccing into to enhance their current build(s).
    EDIT: I've also noticed that when you hover your mouse cursor over the space skills, you get different icons that pop up, assuming you're an RRF or KDF member. For example, instead of getting that squiggly spiral icon when hovering over an Engineering skill, you'd get the funky 4-pointed singularity swirl that RRF Engineers use or the silhouette of a Klingon Battlecruiser that is used elsewhere in the game as the icon for KDF Engineers.

Assuming this is intentional, why don't the base icons for the skill system's skills just have their standard appearances changed to match what pops up. That way RRF and KDF captains don't have Starfleet icons in their skill tree and instead have the faction-appropriate ones.
    Post edited by alphahydri on
    alphahydri wrote: »
    Like others in this thread, I am not thrilled with having to now choose between threat control and battery expertise. Even on non-tanking builds, the reduced threat generation can be a life-saver, and batteries are useful on any ship for both DPS and tanking. To me, both skills are necessities in nearly every build, so choosing between them only complicates things.

That being said, here are some things I've noted in the thread for these most recent patch notes that would be better-served if they were moved here:
    1. Have you guys looked into the stat distributions for the Assimilated Deflector Array yet? Currently on Tribble the Assimilated Deflector Array provides no bonuses to Drain Expertise, despite having Power Insulators pre-skill revamp. It seems the Power Insulators skill the deflector previously boosted has been incorrectly rolled into Control Expertise.
    2. It seems to me that the skill icons for the ground skills are really dull and a lot less vivid than their space counterparts or the specialization skill icons. Even when you have the skill specced into, the icons are noticeably less brighter than other skill icons. I don't know why this is, and I was wondering if you guys would consider this an issue in need of a fix or an intentional design choice?
    3. The description for the "Improved Flanking Damage" on the bottom progression bar for ground skills still doesn't tell exactly how much of a damage boost it provides. This is bothersome when compared to its sister skill "Improved Flanking Resistance" and all other self-boosting skills on that progression bar that do provide exact numbers.
    4. The "Drain Infection" skill for space also doesn't provide numbers on its tooltip as to how much damage its DoT effect does. This is critical information for many, as damage numbers would let people know if its worth speccing into to enhance their current build(s).
    While I do understand that issue +hullhp vs threat control is not the answer as that's a NON-choose for any build. As everyone one who knows game mechanics better will always choose threat control over hull hp. The best solutions IMO are system repair vs threat control or the - threat should be base line and it should only grant threat + to replace threat control skill.
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User

Isn't that stacking then, which is the opposite of what Borticus said.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • alphahydrialphahydri Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    While I do understand that issue +hullhp vs threat control is not the answer as that's a NON-choose for any build. As everyone one who knows game mechanics better will always choose threat control over hull hp. The best solutions IMO are system repair vs threat control or the - threat should be base line and it should only grant threat + to replace threat control skill.
    I didn't suggest merging +Hull HP and Threat Control anywhere in my post, LOL. Not sure where you got that from.
    alphahydri wrote: »
    I didn't suggest merging +Hull HP and Threat Control anywhere in my post, LOL. Not sure where you got that from.
    Forgive me please then, I assumed incorrectly. xD disregard my statements. But do you have any idea or suggestion how they should correct it then ?
  • jalificationjalification Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    I agree that merging the choice between threat & batteries is not very good.

As a engineer I use batteries a lot (specially lately) to improve my damage output cause the rest of my ship is focusing on tanking. This choice is really too harsh. Points why have been given by other people here.
  • kyle223catkyle223cat Member Posts: 584 Arc User
    I agree that merging the choice between threat & batteries is not very good.

As a engineer I use batteries a lot (specially lately) to improve my damage output cause the rest of my ship is focusing on tanking. This choice is really too harsh. Points why have been given by other people here.

I agree, I love using batteries (such as reactive armor catalysts) and I'm love having my threat generation.
    da84303d8bc4080b9860968f634f98682215bbe5.gifv
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    edited March 2016

Ok, I did ask about this earlier without getting an answer.

If Penetration is subtracted from Resistance before diminishing returns are applied that's just HORRIBLY BAD. Bad like never, EVER seek this out. Beyond garbage. The effect is more like a rounding error than a skill. You're just dinking around at the far end of the curve where FIFTY points of penetration can mean a shift of less than 3%.

If Penetration is run through the same diminishing returns equation as Resistance and the resulting percentage is subtracted from the mitigation percentage, then you have an effect to put on your shopping list.

Which is it?

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    well, since the DPS wizards and number crunchers have long ago determined that penetration (at least the hull version) is awesome, i'd say it works along the latter lines​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • crypticspartan#0627 crypticspartan Member Posts: 847 Cryptic Developer
    nikeix wrote: »

Ok, I did ask about this earlier without getting an answer.

If Penetration is subtracted from Resistance before diminishing returns are applied that's just HORRIBLY BAD. Bad like never, EVER seek this out. Beyond garbage. The effect is more like a rounding error than a skill. You're just dinking around at the far end of the curve where FIFTY points of penetration can mean a shift of less than 3%.

If Penetration is run through the same diminishing returns equation as Resistance and the resulting percentage is subtracted from the mitigation percentage, then you have an effect to put on your shopping list.

Which is it?

There is a damage resistance curve for negative effects (that includes "ignore resistance rating", "- All Damage Resistance", and other similarly worded powers) and one for positive effects (that includes "+All Energy Resistance Rating" and similarly worded effects). These are separate curves. The results of these two curves are then used to calculate the target's effective resistance versus the attack in question. I believe this fits your second interpretation.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Is "Shield Hardness" (as shield damage resistance) used to bring down the Total Damage BEFORE the direct damage to shields and the "bleed through" damage to hull is calculated?

And "Shield Penetration" by passes shield damage resistances...including that from "Shield Hardness" skill?
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin