test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

about fleets

kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
Hi all, I have a few questions about fleets. I did do some snooping around on the internet, but didn't find what I needed to know. It seems like I can't walk ten feet without getting fleet invites. (Kind of flattering.) Some things, I don't feel like I can ask a recruiter. So, here it goes.

1) What is involved in leaving a fleet? Can you just click a button and be done? Other games have a waiting period of joining another fleet (equivalent) once you leave. Is there a penalty for getting kicked, instead of just leaving?

2) I understand the fleet members are supposed to contribute to the funds of a fleet, and I know that all fleets are different. However, what does the average fleet ask each person to contribute?

3) When you join a fleet, does just that character join, or does your whole account join? If it is the latter, can each of my characters all join different fleets?

I have been telling people that I am not ready for a fleet. This is partially because I am still learning the basics of the game. The other reason is this. If I do join a fleet, then I want to somehow be a help to that fleet, not a leech that weighs others down and leaves once I get the ship or gear. Well, I could tell you what I want out of a fleet, but, I don't want this thread to become a recruitment thread. I may have more questions, but any help so far would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    1. Yes, you an click a button and be done. If you're kicked from a fleet, there are no penalties that I know of with respect to anything else in the game.

2. I can't speak for the "average" fleet, but those I have been in start at 150K fleet credits' donation before you have access to fleet bank & stores. Access is tiered by fleet rank, also determined by your contributions.

3. Each character has to get a fleet invite; you can be a member of multiple fleets from an account standpoint, but only 1 fleet per character.

Fleet membership is also a benefit to the new member in that your fleet mates can help your 'toon progress faster through private queues, and gaining experience in missions you would not/could not access otherwise, including the mission rewards. BTW, look for the Fleet Forum section to explore what fleets are recruiting, and other general fleet info... :)
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    To give you the second perspective:

1. Joining and leaving a fleet is a process that takes seconds. You can join any fleet without restrictions to how often you switched. Being kicked usually is a penalty, and does not come with another penalty. All it means is that you are out of that fleet. If the leadership really has an issue with a kicked member, they can warn other fleets through quite a lot of means not to accept you, but that generally means the kicked player is a half-baked troll, simply griefing and looting as he/she pleases.

2. Having been a part of fleets as well as leading them, I can say that the fleet store access indeed comes after a promotion. This is due to the fact that stores are provisioned by completing projects, which means the fleet has to invest materials to get more provisions. And not having a limit at all means that somebody can simply join a fleet, loot their stores and leave again, which is very undesirable behaviour.
    I've bene in quite a few fleets myself, and I saw the contribution limit to unlock fleet store access vary from 25.000 (which are my current fleets) up until 250.000 (which is.... yeah). Averages are unknown, since nobody has up to this moment taken the time to find the average by comparing a large enough amount of fleets.
    Fleet banks on the other hand will be different from fleet to fleet. Since you can use the fleet bank in any number of way (distributing end-game gear, early-game gear, crafting materials, fleet event rewards, I've even seen lockers dedicated to boxes with the Bikini costume), this will be different per fleet, based on what is in said locker and on what the fleet feels fair to allow its ranks to withdraw (you can also impose a daily limit of items per rank, which you can change as much as you want).

3. When you join a fleet, just that character joins. Depending on the fleet in matter (I know fleets which demand you to join them with all of your characters, or that just allow one char per account in), you can place your characters in any number of fleets you like. Many people prefer to keep them in one fleet or fleet family (either an armada or an alliance of multiple fleets) just for the convenience of it. However, this is entirely your choice.

I'm hoping to have helped. If you have any further questions, feel free to either mail me ingame (@rahmkota19) or by simply replying to this thread.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    For No.2 I'd also say that being friendly/helpful beyond a credit count is good. Some might promote you if you are an active member that helps in other ways than just being a lurker that just contributes to get to X fleet credits. Or if they have a hard rule about X fleet credits, they might give you a heads up when they drop a new project so you can get in there and donate the Fleet Marks for that sweet 50:1 ratio so you can get to X faster.

Also some larger fleets have hundreds of extra ship provisions and are in no danger of running out because most members got what they want, so the bar is lower than in small fleets still struggling to get ship provisions.
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    In 2. I only ask for a meer 50k at least... Sometimes that is not even the case, like @dracounguis said... Just beign active can land you a promotion...

But as all said this far... Each fleet is different!!!!
    6tviTDx.png

• kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    Thanks for the replies, but, I'm still kinda confused. Can you explain this 50:1 ratio? I have no idea what that means. What is a fleet project? " I only ask for a meer 50k"...um, 50k what? And how often? I'm sorry, I did try to find this stuff out searching the net, but all the info I found was about how to start and run a fleet, not what a noob needs to know about joining and being in a fleet. Thanks for your help and your patience.
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    So fleets ask you to help with their projects in order to promote you to higher ranks...

They measure this via the amount you donate to the Fleet projects which when you do, give you "fleet credits" - a currency used only for fleet gear -

my fleet "requires" you to donate at least 50,000 fleet credits to the projects in order to access the stores.... but why I use that in quotations is because that is not always the case... sometimes just being active lands you a promotion without having donated 0 to the projects...

I'm currently in game if you wanna talk more about this... @comrademoco send me a friend invite...
    6tviTDx.png

• nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Thanks for the replies, but, I'm still kinda confused. Can you explain this 50:1 ratio? I have no idea what that means. What is a fleet project? " I only ask for a meer 50k"...um, 50k what? And how often? I'm sorry, I did try to find this stuff out searching the net, but all the info I found was about how to start and run a fleet, not what a noob needs to know about joining and being in a fleet. Thanks for your help and your patience.

Fleets have "holdings" which are sort of like reputations, but for the entire fleet, and a bit more complex, with tiers and sub-tiers. Projects in those holdings require dil and expertise and often doffs, but instead of straight-up EC costs of rep projects you donate commodities (or sometimes stuff like hypos, batteries or white mark V photon torps.) Actually rep projects used to be like that too, but it got streamlined.

How much FC you get depends on what exactly you donate: 1 fleet mark is worth (corrected AGAIN, sorry, still not woken up properly) 50 FC (most of the time, there's a single case were it's worth 25) 1 dil is worth 1 FC, white doffs are worth 250 or 300 (depending on the kind of project) and stuff you can buy for EC... Well, IIRC it's something around 50-200 EC worth 1 FC (depending on which store you use, whether or not you're a Ferengi and things like that.) FC stays with you even if you leave a fleet or are kicked, if you wonder, but of course when you join a new fleet it won't count towards whatever minimum contribution you're expected to make, since it was to another fleet.

There's also a thing called "holding provisions" you can contribute, those actually cost you FC to make in a replicator and give you nothing when you donate but are required for most projects. I never heard fleets actually requiring to donate them.

Another thing also confusingly called "provisions," is something a fleet needs to keep most fleet stores working. Those provisions are obtained by running special fleet projects, and used up when someone buys from the fleet.

There are several ways to see how much someone else contributed which give different results (and with armadas you can also contribute to friendly fleets you're not a member of, and while you'll get FCs for that, it would show in that fleet's contributions, not your own's.) so the best way to be sure is to ask fleet leadership directly about how they do it and what they expect.

It's all a bit more complicated than that, but unless you're actually a fleet ;leader this is probably enough detail.
  • ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    >>>Can you explain this 50:1 ratio? I have no idea what that means.
    Almost all the projects give 50 Fleet Credits (FC) per 1 Fleet Mark (FM) that you contribute to a fleet project. Since FMs are pretty easy to get it's a good way to earn a lot of FCs. Duty officers (DOffs) actually award more (as noted 250-300 FCs/DOff) but are a little harder to get in quantity and they have to be the right kind of DOff for the project.

>>>What is a fleet project?
    To advance the fleet level, the fleet admins will queue up fleet projects that the fleet members throw their resources into. Very analagous to your personal reputations where you complete projects to advance your reputation. The fleet only advances or adds provisions to the fleet store by completing these projects.

>>>I only ask for a meer 50k"...um, 50k what? And how often?
    There's a tracker for how many FCs you've gained when adding to the projects. That FC amount is how some fleet admins determine whether you've earned the right to buy from the fleet stores by contributing to it's advancement/provisioning.
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    The fleet I'm in doesn't ask for minimum contributions, though there's a waiting period before you get promoted to a rank that can access the fleet bank or buy from fleet stores.

However, since you need fleet credit to buy from the fleet stores, and since the only way to get fleet credit is to contribute to fleet projects, well, people wanting the fleet gear inevitably have to make contributions. (In fact, our fleet has rules restricting the size of contributions you can make, for easy-to-obtain stuff like fleet marks anyway, just so that everyone in the fleet gets a fair chance of being able to contribute.)

A fully-developed fleet is a useful source of high-quality gear and a number of other perks; the main advantage, though - if you're in the right sort of fleet - is social. It's having people to talk to, having people to run missions with, having more experienced players ready to give advice - these are all good things, in my opinion!
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    When a fleet member starts a fleet recruiting discussion. Can he or she post multiple times with updates, if no one else posts in between the messages, or do they follow the same discussion rules?
  • javaman1969javaman1969 Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    I played for three years before I tried this fleet thing. When I get a "ninja" recruiting message I usually look up the fleet and read their recruiting message. Those messages tell you what the members are into. You don't have to be in a fleet to enjoy the game, so you can just sit and wait for one that's your style to find you. I look for the word "casual". Fleets that call themselves "casual" don't seem to make real demands of your time. I also like to look for a smaller fleet I can help build their holdings when I can and mayby even get to know one or two members, rather than fleets that advertise having everything fully built and a million members. But that's just me.

Contributing to fleet projects can help you in small ways. For example, when your fleet's starbase and dilithium mine grow, you get more stuff to do in those places like extra duty officer assignments. If your fleet's science lab reaches a certain level your character gets better at dilithium mining, and with dilithium you can buy stuff. Contribute some of the fleet marks that you earm flying the daily Tholian red alerts is easy.
    His methods have become unsound.