test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why don't the Ferengi sell Ferengi ships?

This is copy and pasted from sto.gamepedia, from the Ferengi D'Kora Marauder article: "Sluga Military Technology has teamed up with Lobi Crystal Consortium (a wholly owned subsidiary of Quark Enterprises) to put new D'Kora Marauders in the hands of ship captains on the front lines."
So, why isn't the Ferengi D'Kora Marauder sold in the lobi store? The lobi store sells rare ships, it's run by the Ferengi, and yet, they don't sell their own ships. I would think that a Ferengi vendor would have more of his own product than anything else. (I would even go so far as to say that Ferengi ships would cost less than rare ships from a Ferengi vendor. But, since this is the Ferengi we're talking about, I will concede the price argument.) It just doesn't make sense from a story point of view for a Ferengi to sell rare ships and not having a single Ferengi vessel.
From a game play point of view, I would love to have a ship with a bank, mailbox and exchange right on my own bridge! The Trader Doff contact might be nice, too. The dabo table, I could care less, but other players might want it. Now, if the devs don't want to give us the D'Kora, perhaps wanting to keep former lock box and event ships super rare, then can we have something like it from the lobi store? It's not like the ship would be op in battle or for other game play. Some of us just want that luxurious bridge.

Comments

• kapla5571kapla5571 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    You must have missed the 2015 summer event where everyone who ran the special project received a T6 Ferengi Nandi warship. An upgrade to the D'kora IMHO as it has pilot specialization, 6 boff stations and the D'kora interior.
  • starshutter2starshutter2 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    Why we can't landing at Ferenginar? =(
  • k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User

They don't want space communists, space gypsy and plundering space vikings in their wholesome perfect capitalist paradise.
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    kapla5571 wrote: »
    You must have missed the 2015 summer event where everyone who ran the special project received a T6 Ferengi Nandi warship. An upgrade to the D'kora IMHO as it has pilot specialization, 6 boff stations and the D'kora interior.
    I sure did. I've only been playing this game for about a month. And, yeah, I missed the last free ship, too. But even if I had one, that wouldn't answer my question. It just seems logical that the Ferengi would sell Ferengi ships. My obvious suggestion is that they put one in the lobi store. It could be the D'kora, the Nandi, or something just different enough that any Ferengi ship collectors out there might want it. Not to mention, those of us who missed out on the last two. For me, personally, I'd rather have the chance to get a free one in a future event. I don't see myself getting enough lobi to buy a ship anytime soon. Am I wrong here? Is there a good reason not to have a Ferengi ship in the lobi store?
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Sensible answer, there's no good in-game reason; the D'kora itself is a pretty old design, and the original background text for the Ferengi lockbox (and indeed, the raison d'etre of the Lobi corp) was selling off a load of military-surplus ships. However - for better or worse the D'kora is a lockbox ship, and thus far Cryptic have shown no inclination for revisiting any of these or making them more widely available. Maybe they'll do more Ferengi ships in the future (perhaps this year's summer event) but these would again need to be original designs.
  • detheaterdetheater Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    Definitely an interesting question and one that has no legitimate reasoning. For me if they would just give us the D'Kora skin for the Nandi I would be happy. The Nandi is UGLY. I would actually use that ship if it looked like the D'Kora.
  • qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    i love both the D'Kora and the Nandi, they are both clearly Ferengi. i think the decision to fully develop the Nandi, as something unique, rather than simply just tweaking the old D'Kora skin, was a great move, because artistic appreciation being what it is 'totally subjective' there would still have been those that loved it, and those that loathed it.. regardless!!​​
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    This is copy and pasted from sto.gamepedia, from the Ferengi D'Kora Marauder article: "Sluga Military Technology has teamed up with Lobi Crystal Consortium (a wholly owned subsidiary of Quark Enterprises) to put new D'Kora Marauders in the hands of ship captains on the front lines."
    So, why isn't the Ferengi D'Kora Marauder sold in the lobi store? The lobi store sells rare ships, it's run by the Ferengi, and yet, they don't sell their own ships. I would think that a Ferengi vendor would have more of his own product than anything else. (I would even go so far as to say that Ferengi ships would cost less than rare ships from a Ferengi vendor. But, since this is the Ferengi we're talking about, I will concede the price argument.) It just doesn't make sense from a story point of view for a Ferengi to sell rare ships and not having a single Ferengi vessel.
    From a game play point of view, I would love to have a ship with a bank, mailbox and exchange right on my own bridge! The Trader Doff contact might be nice, too. The dabo table, I could care less, but other players might want it. Now, if the devs don't want to give us the D'Kora, perhaps wanting to keep former lock box and event ships super rare, then can we have something like it from the lobi store? It's not like the ship would be op in battle or for other game play. Some of us just want that luxurious bridge.

The D'kora/Ferengi lock box was launched before they offered Lobi ships...they didn't start offering Lobi ships till the Tholian box, which came after the Cardassian and Ferengi boxes.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    k20vtec wrote: »

They don't want space communists, space gypsy and plundering space vikings in their wholesome perfect capitalist paradise.
    Also, why would you want to go there? They'd charge you GPL just to walk down the street.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • zarato4218zarato4218 Member Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    kapla5571 wrote: »
    I sure did. I've only been playing this game for about a month. And, yeah, I missed the last free ship, too. But even if I had one, that wouldn't answer my question. It just seems logical that the Ferengi would sell Ferengi ships. My obvious suggestion is that they put one in the lobi store. It could be the D'kora, the Nandi, or something just different enough that any Ferengi ship collectors out there might want it. Not to mention, those of us who missed out on the last two. For me, personally, I'd rather have the chance to get a free one in a future event. I don't see myself getting enough lobi to buy a ship anytime soon. Am I wrong here? Is there a good reason not to have a Ferengi ship in the lobi store?

It is very unlikely that the Nandi will return in any format unless they move away from exclusivity of event ships and offer a re-run of some sort. And as a lockbox ship you won't ever see the D'Kora in the lobi store for the reasons others have stated above. (Remember real world business decisions will always come before lore... for better or worse.)

However, and I stress that this is just speculation from previous trends, you may be in luck if you stick around for the summer event in a couple months. There is a chance that Ferengi ships are, for now at least, the current theme for summer. (Just as the last four winter ships were Breen and seeing as the Risian ship line appears to have been entirely retired/abandond) As such you might get a chance at a new Ferengi design which would include the bridge. Then again, the Nandi might have been a one off... but I'm still betting on at least one more summer Ferengi ship to complete a three console set. I just have a really strong "feeling" that will be the case. :)
    As Zephram Cochrane once said, "That'll do, pig. That'll do." - April 1st 2015. o:)
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »

The D'kora/Ferengi lock box was launched before they offered Lobi ships...they didn't start offering Lobi ships till the Tholian box, which came after the Cardassian and Ferengi boxes.

The Ferengi Lock box is what launched the Lobi store. "Lobi Crystal Consortium (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Quark Enterprises) is proud to announce the release of the Ferengi Lock Box! Even before you open one, you'll be amazed at the quality of this fine item. LCC spared no expense in putting together a quality product – even the collectable packaging is trimmed with 0.0047 percent pure Latinum. You will be proud to give the Ferengi Lock Box to your friends and loved ones – in fact, we encourage it!"

Though, it only guaranteed one Lobi crystal at the time: "Lobi Crystals* that will be accepted as currency at a vendor that sells new specialty items. (You will always get at least one Lobi Crystal in addition to any other prizes you get with every Ferengi Lock Box you open.)"

The blog on current site: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/1058780-ferengi-lock-box

I think the lockbox revamp, where all lockboxes were modified to give at least 4 Lobi and an item, was the time period you're thinking of.
  • zarato4218zarato4218 Member Posts: 403 Arc User
    tom61sto wrote: »

I think the lockbox revamp, where all lockboxes were modified to give at least 4 Lobi and an item, was the time period you're thinking of.

No, I think they were right. Lianthelia wasn't saying that there wasn't a lobi store then, just that the first box did not contain what we would now call a "lobi" ship like the recluse, astika, or paradox. All it had was an insanely overpriced shuttle which was later greatly reduced. Now days there is always one lockbox ship, one lobi ship, and every few boxes one shuttle. At least I think that's what they meant.
    As Zephram Cochrane once said, "That'll do, pig. That'll do." - April 1st 2015. o:)
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Please no more Ferengi ships for the Summer event. Risa is only place and opportunity for Risian ships.

"What's mine is yours" is also completely contrary to any Ferengi who's worth their lantinum. There's zero sense for Risians to be showing off Ferengi ships on Risa when their own engineers are clearly second to none in the galaxy for starship impulse performance.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    Personally I am at a loss to explain the reasons behind it for the same reason I cannot explain the TV series. Don't beat me up because I am not a fan of Star Trek, Star Wars, or science fiction in general. As an author and writer, I find it odd that ALL the Ferengi behave the same on the whole planet. It is not just them. All the aliens in Star Trek lack as much cultural diversity, as Star Wars planets lack environmental diversity... still reading? I have seen enough Star Trek to know too much about the show. A better question about this game (assuming this is not some alternate Abrams universe) why is it that Quark's brother Rom fail as a leader? I seem to remember that he became the Grand Puba or something and went off to reform his people.

Simple answer, the reason why anything happens or fails to happen in a fictional world, is the authors.
    NFA-banner.png
  • georikzaberiskgeorikzaberisk Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    If the ferengi ship has a Jacuzzi, a holodeck and a big captain's room with a luxurious bed that I can "invite" my "Female Officers" for a well.... Meeting... Then tell me where I could purchase one.
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    A better question about this game (assuming this is not some alternate Abrams universe) why is it that Quark's brother Rom fail as a leader? I seem to remember that he became the Grand Puba or something and went off to reform his people.

Simple answer, the reason why anything happens or fails to happen in a fictional world, is the authors.

To try and answer the question, Rom is still the Ferengi Grand Nagus as of STO's present; Nog refers to himself as the "Son of the Nagus" when he appeared last year, and used that status to browbeat another Ferengi.

So clearly, Rom is doing something right to have lasted that long.

Anyway. While an explanation from another, much older, Star Trek game, one point is that we don't tend to see many "regular" Klingons, Ferengi etc in game. The Klingons are mostly military (apart from the accordion-playing restauranteur, the lawyers, and the actors...), the Ferengi are the most expansionist of their traders, and so on - mostly, Starfleet is dealing with a selected subgroup, not the broader culture. Hence the high degree of conformity.