Options

Borticus? Challenge Accepted!

124»

Comments

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I honestly think
    I finally found one aspect in the game that seems to be unaffected by any skill selections so far, but could be of pretty universal interest: Manual Shield Distribution. Normally, it's pretty slow, and it's much better to rely on Tactical Team. But what if there was a skill that buffed it?

It might not be a perfect fit for tactical, it could also be engineering or science, but anyway:
    Tactical Shield Routing I
    When you use Reroute Power to Left, Right, Forward or Rear Shields, or when you use Distribute Shield Power, you reroute 100 % extra shield power.

Tactical Shield Routing II
    The benefit increases to +165 %

Tactical Shield Rerouting III
    The benefit increases to +200 %

It's very isolated in effect, more like the shield and hull regeneration skills, but if the level of distribution was boosted high enough, it could basically replace Tactical Team on some ships, at least for people that are able to handle the micro-management involved.
    pretty similar to my idea but I think the 3rd level should be something special like, When distributing Shields Gain temporary shields on the sides being distributed from ?

Maybe it should be one of those mini-branch skills - a single pick at the top to buff the distribution speed, and two parallel unlocks, one to boost the speed further, and one to add a special effect.
    In that case, the straight buffs should probably be something like +100 % / +200 %. (eg. 2 times faster to 3 times faster distribution.).

Two Three Four alternative ideas:

Shield Inertia
    When distributing shields power to a specific facing, each shield facing that loses shields gains x % shield hardness. This ability can trigger only once every 15 seconds.

Hardening Shield Distribution
    When distributing shield power to a specific facing, that facing also gains x % shield hardness. This ability can trigger only once every 15 seconds.

Risky Shield Distribution
    When distributing shield power to a specific facing, that facing gains +x % shield hardness for 5 seconds, but the other shield facings take x/4 % extra damage (or have x/4 % extra bleedthrough?). This ability can trigger no more than once every 15 seconds.

Perfected Shield Distribution
    When distributing shield power to a specific facing, that facing ignores all bleedthrough for 5 seconds. This ability can trigger no more than once every 15 seconds.

The first is an interesting compensation. But it might lead to non-intuitive behavior becoming desirable: You first distribute away from the shield facing you need points, to trigger the hardness buff, and then distribute back.

So the second is pretty straightforward - the shield you think needs help the most gets the extra hardness, too.

The third cost you, which generally fits the spirit of shield power distribution - you always have to sacrifice points somewhere.

The fourth is just another straight advantage.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    With the revamp looming, is it now too late for this? I hope not...
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    It's hard to say. We're waiting for a new version to arrive on Tribble that we've been told will have some shuffling/shake-ups but Borticus didn't want to commit to any specifics until he could verify the technicals on his end. I'm as eager to see the new build as anyone.

Either way we may see the thread bear some fruit further down the development timeline when @borticuscryptic comes back to browse the thread for inspiration while making some new traits or set bonuses.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    e30ernest wrote: »
    With the revamp looming, is it now too late for this? I hope not...
    Maybe, but that was never a reason for me to stop spitballing ideas. It's not like it's work for me. ;)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    So, @borticuscryptic , did anything here make the cut for Agents of Yesterday content?

Just looking for a Y/N, not unreleased details :).