test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PODCAST] Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 206: "A New Horizon"

midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 206: "A New Horizon" has warped on to Holosuite Media, you can download and stream it from:

Tribbles206.png

This week we have a super long show, 5 hours long! To start the show the Tribbles in Ecstasy crew spend time talking to Tommy Kraft the creator of the newly released unoffical fan film Star Trek Horizon.

We then talk about this week's Star Trek Online gaming news and events with Star Trek Online's Community Manager Laughing Trendy before covering some updates from Star Trek Timelines.

After the gaming news we discuss Star Trek news including Nicholas Meyer being added to the new Star Trek series staff coming in 2017.

We talk to Kat Sky and 10nant Cosplay live from ConDor Convention in San Diego about CosPlay before talking about unofficial Star Trek productions including Star Trek Axanar with Carlos from AxaMonitor.

Finally we give some updates on conventions plus a few other Trek bits!

The topics discussed this week are:
  • Star Trek Horizon with Tommy Kraft (6 mins),
  • Star Trek Online News, Events and Sales with Community Manager, Laughing Trendy (1 hour, 22mins),
  • Star Trek Timelines (2 hours, 5 mins),
  • Nicholas Meyer to be Writer and Consulting Producer for new Star Trek Series (2 hours, 6 mins),
  • The Antaeus Theatre Company Kickstarter,
  • The Worf Chronicles,
  • CosPlay with Kat Sky and 10nant CosPlay (2 hours, 42 mins),
  • Star Trek Renegades,
  • Star Trek Anthology,
  • Star Trek Axanar (3 hours, 10 mins),
  • AxaMonitor,
  • Convention news (4 hours, 55 mins),
  • and more!

Don't forget to tune in next week as we talk to Larry Nemecek!

Our community questions this week are:
1) What do you think of the Star Trek Horizon film?
2) What do you think of the treatment of donors by Alec Peters?
3) Do you think this action by Axanar will have any ramifications in the lawsuit?
4) Have you experienced the recent STO changes to the Skill Tree on Tribble and if so, what do you think of them?

Please reply to this post with any feedback you have about any topic we've covered or even about the show in general, we'd love to hear what our listeners have to say.

Please help friend of the show and fellow Star Trek Online player and podcaster Mav with donations to support his recovery with his current health situation here: http://www.gofundme.com/tomsrecovery.

LLAP \\//_

Comments

• alex1geralex1ger Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    That was a long episode. And next time there's gonna be an interview with Larry Nemecek? So... another 3+ hours show incoming and that's not even including any feedback. :p I guess that means the "STO stories that never were" that I would like to see (and talk about) will have to wait another week. Let me guess... there's gonna be another interview then, right?

Community questions:

1.) What do I think of Star Trek: Horizon?

Well, there's a couple of answers to that.
    First, like Tommy Kraft mentioned during the interview, there was a lot of bloom/background blur going on. I was not a fan of that, but all things considered this fan film still looked better than Renegades. Renegades had a couple of shots that made me go: Well, this looks really fake... For a "true" fan film it would have been acceptable, but you Renegades guys got so much money through crowdfunding and this is the best you could do? Really?

Horizon did not have a moment like that. Now, Horizon was not flawless.
    I mean, here and there a minor rewrite would have helped the story, the Iconian "makeup" was rather disappointing (though I understand why he went that route). I mentioned the overuse of bloom and background blur already, some of the acting seemed a little... "stiff" to me, but I wouldn't necessarily blame the actors for that, because (unless you got an absolutely amazing actor) they have to rely on the director to tell them exactly how he wants them to... well... act.

So... final verdict: Renegades left me with a resounding "meh", whereas Horizon left me with a resounding: "I actually kinda wish this would get a sequel." Even though I still haven't really watched Enterprise, I enjoyed this way more than Renegades. It's kinda sad... (At least for Renegades.) *shrug*

2.) What do I think of the treatment of Axanar donors?

For some inexplicable reason I can't help thinking of a specific fairy tale... Ever heard of "The Emperor's new clothes"?
    MidNite is basically the kid that tries to call out the emperor, but in this version the henchmen grab him, cover his mouth, give him his money back and then banish him from the Empire.

It's rather telling that they try to "root out" reasonable/sensible fans and only want blindly obedient fans (or rather followers? cult members?). Silencing people with (slighly) different opinions like this is not only so... inherently not Star Trek, it also seems rather... shady. I don't know, something about this just rubs me the wrong way. *shrug*

3. & 4.) The other questions:
    No clue. ;)

ARC 3.0:
    Uhm... okay. Whatever. I mean, I might log into the ARC client to see what dailies are up and I might do some of the easier ones (in STO and Neverwinter), but that's about it. The payout is rather meager, so I'm not gonna waste time on downloading any other PW games and I won't go out of my way to do any quest that requires more... "involvement".

Well, that's it for the time being. If any RP blogs show up or if my next victim... uhm... the next Featured Episode gets announced, I might chime in again.