test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

On the censorship of expression via language

Perhaps trying to circumvent a filter in the forum for profanity is not a smart idea...

Or, perhaps, blocking out certain words because some easily-offended individuals find them objectionable despite there being no rational reason for this is not a smart idea. Perhaps bowdlerizing written expression because distant tradition has arbitrarily labeled some words and concepts as verboten is a stunningly stupid idea. What is the purpose? And what is the justification? I know you have the power to set whatever standards you like, but is that right or necessary? What good is accomplished by restricting free speech?

I find it puzzling that whenever there is an objection to anything or any form of controversy over content, preference is given to those seeking repression and action is taken on the side of restriction, never freedom. How is it that if I object to limitations and I am offended by the concept of being forced to conform to other people's beliefs about propriety and morality I get no traction, but the moment anyone objects to something they are given deference and their whims are catered to? There is no balance. There is no respect for any but the most narrow and strict definition of what is right and proper.

I can see that maybe an argument could be made for material intended for the smallest of children, that they not be immersed in language and discussions that are of a more crude and adult nature than they might be prepared to handle, but this is not a children's property. It deals with heavy, intellectual and controversial topics best approached by the highly mature, intelligent, and educated. Bleaching it to a standard better fit for a kindergarten classroom is suspect at best. I object wholeheartedly and vehemently to such repressive censorship of speech.

Of course, I have no power to make change. But I can state my position for the record and invite others to think on the subject. Consider my complaint filed.​​
star_trek_idic_facebook_cover_by_athdaraseleya-d6hri4e.jpg


The D in IDIC doesn't stand for discrimination, and neither does this poster.
«1

Comments

  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,757 Arc User
    Perhaps trying to circumvent a filter in the forum for profanity is not a smart idea...

    Or, perhaps, blocking out certain words because some easily-offended individuals find them objectionable despite there being no rational reason for this is not a smart idea. Perhaps bowdlerizing written expression because distant tradition has arbitrarily labeled some words and concepts as verboten is a stunningly stupid idea. What is the purpose? And what is the justification? I know you have the power to set whatever standards you like, but is that right or necessary? What good is accomplished by restricting free speech?

    I find it puzzling that whenever there is an objection to anything or any form of controversy over content, preference is given to those seeking repression and action is taken on the side of restriction, never freedom. How is it that if I object to limitations and I am offended by the concept of being forced to conform to other people's beliefs about propriety and morality I get no traction, but the moment anyone objects to something they are given deference and their whims are catered to? There is no balance. There is no respect for any but the most narrow and strict definition of what is right and proper.

    I can see that maybe an argument could be made for material intended for the smallest of children, that they not be immersed in language and discussions that are of a more crude and adult nature than they might be prepared to handle, but this is not a children's property. It deals with heavy, intellectual and controversial topics best approached by the highly mature, intelligent, and educated. Bleaching it to a standard better fit for a kindergarten classroom is suspect at best. I object wholeheartedly and vehemently to such repressive censorship of speech.

    Of course, I have no power to make change. But I can state my position for the record and invite others to think on the subject. Consider my complaint filed.​​

    i cant see this topic getting anywhere fast.

    on a side note, it is good to see @askray back on the forum. i have not seen him around for some time.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    askray is around. I think I saw him, also on topic to this soon to be dead thread.

    Posting about how mods mod is bad m'kay
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,226 Arc User
    tumblr_myua0edqAl1t873nbo1_400.gif
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 49,001 Arc User
    InBeforeTheLock.gif

    While some words do seem like odd choices for the censor, most of them make sense. Also nice to see askray back as well. We still got a warm ban waiting for ya in the ban thread askray! ;)
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    INB4 MOAR ASKRAY KISSING

    Wipe your noses already.

  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 49,001 Arc User
    pulserazor wrote: »
    INB4 MOAR ASKRAY KISSING

    Wipe your noses already.

    Dude... askray is a cool person. Doesn't just quote rules and leaves it at that.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    i cant see this topic getting anywhere fast.
    askray is around. I think I saw him, also on topic to this soon to be dead thread.

    Posting about how mods mod is bad m'kay

    I do expect it to be closed with little if any said by the powers that be in reply beyond "those are the rules, deal with it". However, as a progressive I believe it is my duty to protest for change against mindless restriction to repressive tradition. I feel it right and necessary to question authoritarian principles and advocate for freedom of thought and expression. And as a customer, I have every right to make my feelings known to the company as regards their policies. I have a right to file a customer complaint. They are under no obligation to change said policies, but I certainly am within my rights to object.​​

    You must be american.

    Freedom of Thought and Expression only applies in the political and social context, not on "privately owned" forums.
    Here you have "no rights". Posting here is a privilige that can be revoked at any time.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    i cant see this topic getting anywhere fast.
    askray is around. I think I saw him, also on topic to this soon to be dead thread.

    Posting about how mods mod is bad m'kay

    I do expect it to be closed with little if any said by the powers that be in reply beyond "those are the rules, deal with it". However, as a progressive I believe it is my duty to protest for change against mindless restriction to repressive tradition. I feel it right and necessary to question authoritarian principles and advocate for freedom of thought and expression. And as a customer, I have every right to make my feelings known to the company as regards their policies. I have a right to file a customer complaint. They are under no obligation to change said policies, but I certainly am within my rights to object.​​

    You're right. I really wish you done this through the proper channels and not this public outburst like a child but you're right. You have all rights to make you and your displeasure known.

    Also, 99% sure there is a big ugly mess of legal jargon that you clicked "agree" on that pretty much gave them right to control their forums the way they see fit but hey, I did not read and I'm willing to wager 2 EC you did not either.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 49,001 Arc User
    Also, 99% sure there is a big ugly mess of legal jargon that you clicked "agree" on that pretty much gave them right to control their forums the way they see fit but hey, I did not read and I'm willing to wager 2 EC you did not either.

    How many people actually take the time to read EULA and ToS? :D
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,275 Bug Hunter
    I read them both.

    Do I get a gold star?
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

    #TASforSTO


    '...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 49,001 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    I read them both.

    Do I get a gold star?

    gold-star-graphic.jpg
    Yes you do! ;)
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,226 Arc User
    R2-D2-funny-swearing.jpeg
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Go blow it out your TRIBBLE...

    :D
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 49,001 Arc User
    I believe it was the public manner in which you voiced your objections, which may fall under Discussion of Moderation in the forum rules.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • trejgontrejgon Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Also, 99% sure there is a big ugly mess of legal jargon that you clicked "agree" on that pretty much gave them right to control their forums the way they see fit but hey, I did not read and I'm willing to wager 2 EC you did not either.

    How many people actually take the time to read EULA and ToS? :D

    I did happen to read some EULA's and ToS'es out of boredom [for example when huge amount of patching time was required :P]

    as for thread itself it sound to me like an emotional outburst cause someone dared to tell OP that he violated forum rules.

    PS. Forum Rules where set before all of people crying how stuff is offensive and represing and stuff and I'd assume it was based on common decendency of how a civilised person should and should not express its emotions and feelings... as for "weird" choices I'm quite sure that there is a logical reason for filterign them out - as for example being real nasty profanities in languages or countries you have no idea about, and where STO is still a game
  • alethkiraenalethkiraen Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    You're right. I really wish you done this through the proper channels and not this public outburst like a child but you're right. You have all rights to make you and your displeasure known.

    Also, 99% sure there is a big ugly mess of legal jargon that you clicked "agree" on that pretty much gave them right to control their forums the way they see fit but hey, I did not read and I'm willing to wager 2 EC you did not either.

    In what way have my statements been childish? I have made certain to avoid personal insults or vitriol and express my position in polite and formal language. I also acknowledged more than once that the company is free to set and enforce what policies they choose and that they are under no obligation to change said policies. HOWEVER, as a customer I retain the right to express protest and to lodge a customer complaint over policies I find objectionable. That is how it works in any business. I have adhered to etiquette in this. Can you point out where I have not?​​

    In the post you are whining about from the locked thread where you tried to bypass the profanity filter.
    fRhmZXV.gif
    To boldly funk where no-one has funked before.
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,043 Arc User
    Whilst I am in favour of a certain degree of censorship to keep things clean and family friendly, (and I really do favour this, in both armada and fleet chat), I do think that some filtered words are just silly in comparison to other words I see on the forums.
    I however am not questioning moderation, just some of words that arent ok next to others that are. Granted profanity is largely subjective though.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,757 Arc User
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,226 Arc User
    Trendy is on va-ca this week.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    @jodarkrider @askray @pwlaughingtrendy

    As much as I'll enjoy this thread I think you'd prefer it didn't go that far.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,757 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    Trendy is on va-ca this week.
    B)

    not always it has been observed in the past, for example when the servers are down, she usually posts. i guess it depends on how urgent her need is on the forum.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 49,001 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    Trendy is on va-ca this week.
    B)

    Its also the weekend.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Perhaps childish and Immature are subjects members of starfleet dental shouldn't bring up eh?
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    You're right. I really wish you done this through the proper channels and not this public outburst like a child but you're right. You have all rights to make you and your displeasure known.

    Also, 99% sure there is a big ugly mess of legal jargon that you clicked "agree" on that pretty much gave them right to control their forums the way they see fit but hey, I did not read and I'm willing to wager 2 EC you did not either.

    In what way have my statements been childish? I have made certain to avoid personal insults or vitriol and express my position in polite and formal language. I also acknowledged more than once that the company is free to set and enforce what policies they choose and that they are under no obligation to change said policies. HOWEVER, as a customer I retain the right to express protest and to lodge a customer complaint over policies I find objectionable. That is how it works in any business. I have adhered to etiquette in this. Can you point out where I have not?​​
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Perhaps trying to circumvent a filter in the forum for profanity is not a smart idea...

    Or, perhaps, blocking out certain words because some easily-offended individuals find them objectionable despite there being no rational reason for this is not a smart idea. .​​

    I just want to point out that the whole reason this subject came up was because you were offended other people were dancing on Vulcan. Because you were offended, you posted strong language on the forums, resulting in said words getting filtered, resulting in your being told to stop circumventing the filter, resulting in you making a thread complaining about a filter set up because OTHER PEOPLE are easily offended.

    So you being offended started this whole chain.

    Just something to think about, my dude.

    .....
    REALLY, WOW. COME ON! IT'S CURRENT YEAR!

    You pretty much got baited so hard you're about to take a solid L. That's not even the worst part. You let Dental give you this loss. Shameful, the KDF will be making jokes about your honor for a while now.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 49,001 Arc User
    article-2145964-1324F3C8000005DC-163_306x423.jpg
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,574 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    3NmR3.jpg

This discussion has been closed.