test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PDT/UTC

lamyrslamyrs Member Posts: 312 Arc User
I am lost.
Currently my time is 2.30 pm UTC+1 or GMT+1
GM said :
We will be having our regularly scheduled maintenance tomorrow 12/3 at 6AM PDT for 3 1/2 hours
But when I check website (like this one) for PDT it states that it is actually 6.30 am PDT.
So I check the launcher. On that one, maintenance is sheduled for 7 AM PDT / 3 PM UTC. But when it will be 7 AM PDT, the UTC time will be at 2 PM and not 3 PM (as it is currently 1.30 pm UTC).
- If I follow what GM saif, the maintenance should have started.
- If I follow PDT time on launcher the maintenance should start in 30 min.
- If I follow UTC time on launcher the maintenance will start in 1.30 min.
So where can I get the rights times?
This is a main problem that I have at every maintenance, I am never able to know when is the maintenance time.
I am from Belgium and english isn't my main language, sorry if I make mistakes.

Comments

• berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I'm in EDT, 3 hours ahead of PDT. As I post this, it is 08:55 here. So it is almost 06:00 at Cryptic.

Whether the launcher's stated time is correct, or the post is, we will find out in a few minutes.

If I were ingame, I could say for sure, because they give you warnings leading up to the shutdown.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • chemistrysetchemistryset Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    Always believe @pwlaughingtrendy . ALWAYS. She has everything under control.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains is great news for stupid people.
  • lamyrslamyrs Member Posts: 312 Arc User

Well she said 6am PDT and it is 7.2am PDT so I guess she doesn't.
  • alexhaydenalexhayden Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Okay...UTC and GMT are one in the same, so for me maintenance should start at 3pm. Pacific time is 8 hours behind GMT so 3pm here is obviously 7am over there. As I can still log in right now without any issues I'm going to take a wild guess that either the GM got the start time and length of maintenance wrong and it is just 2 1/2 hours from 3pm UTC, or it will be 3 1/2 hours from 3pm UTC and the message on the launcher hasn't been updated.
    edited December 2015
    alexhayden wrote: »
    Okay...UTC and GMT are one in the same, so for me maintenance should start at 3pm. Pacific time is 8 hours behind GMT so 3pm here is obviously 7am over there. As I can still log in right now without any issues I'm going to take a wild guess that either the GM got the start time and length of maintenance wrong and it is just 2 1/2 hours from 3pm UTC, or it will be 3 1/2 hours from 3pm UTC and the message on the launcher hasn't been updated.

PDT is 7 hours behind GMT no 8. That's PST which is 8 hours behind.
  • alexhaydenalexhayden Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    lamyrs wrote: »

Doh! You are absolutely right. It's PDT which is 7 hours behind and PST which is 8. That was my mistake. But am I right in thinking that California is on PST now?

EDIT : thought California, actually typed USA. Brains clearly parked in neutral today..

Post edited by alexhayden on
  • chemistrysetchemistryset Member Posts: 229 Arc User

Well she said 6am PDT and it is 7.2am PDT so I guess she doesn't.

That´s all Q´s fault! Sabotage! B)
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains is great news for stupid people.
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    Here's some transparency.

First off, I don't handle launchers or setting up maintenances. That's handled by folks who are actually applying patches and doing a bunch of technical jumbelry in the backend. They're also the ones who set up the launcher EBS (Emergency Broadcasting System)

Maintenance starts off with a big email chain that has a timeframe, breakdown of the tasks required for maintenance, specific patch elements, etc. They manage the timeframe because frankly they have a better perspective than me for how much time it takes. I try to mirror the timeframe that they establish and keep that communicated.

That being said there's a new person who's managing that timeframe. I'm going to have a chat with him.
  • neos472neos472 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    make sure not to hold back the raptor pack trendy
    manipulator of time and long time space traveler
    edited December 2015

Doh! You are absolutely right. It's PDT which is 7 hours behind and PST which is 8. That was my mistake. But am I right in thinking that California is on PST now?

EDIT : thought California, actually typed USA. Brains clearly parked in neutral today..

If I understand well, by PDT they mean PST. Maybe it seems clear for americans players but for me as european player I am not used to all this time zone. When are they going back on PDT?
    Here's some transparency.

First off, I don't handle launchers or setting up maintenances. That's handled by folks who are actually applying patches and doing a bunch of technical jumbelry in the backend. They're also the ones who set up the launcher EBS (Emergency Broadcasting System)

Maintenance starts off with a big email chain that has a timeframe, breakdown of the tasks required for maintenance, specific patch elements, etc. They manage the timeframe because frankly they have a better perspective than me for how much time it takes. I try to mirror the timeframe that they establish and keep that communicated.

That being said there's a new person who's managing that timeframe. I'm going to have a chat with him.

Never said it was your fault, I was just picking informations as they come. I had 3 different times and that confused me. I am not confident with time travel yet :smiley: Maybe I am the only one who doesn't understand all of this well. I guess I just have to focus at the UTC time on the launcher.

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,596 Arc User
    America is back to PST now not PDT. That happens the weekend after Halloween.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    It's way past 17:30 UTC now. Can we put the server back online now, please?
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    The maintenance have been extended by 1 hour. They changed the pacific time but not the UTC time :neutral:
    The maintenance have been extended by 1 hour. They changed the pacific time but not the UTC time :neutral:

LOL. Looks like you're right.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    Twitter said they were going to extend to 10:30 PST to resolve some login issues.

Well for some of STO stuff they have not compensated for reverting to Standard over Daylight Savings (i.e., time for the reset for the Daily Dilithium processing). Here in the US East Coast, it always became available at 8 PM, since reverting it occurs at 7 PM instead
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    on the launcher: NOTE:Maintenance has been extended to 11:30 AM PST for me GMT+1 -> 8:30 pm (20H30)

I use this tool: http://www.timebie.com/TRIBBLE/pst.php main page: http://www.timebie.com/index.php
    LOL. UTC time is now listed as 17:00 (!) UTC; so, seems they shortened maintenance by half-an-hour.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Ummm arent we in PST... PDT stands for Pacific Daylight (Savings) Time. We already switched to Standard Time.