test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Romulan Flash Giveaway?

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9656753

Am I correct that this promotion offers nothing useful to an STO player? No in-game Romulan Science Vessel? It's simply Hero Clicks for this other game?
(/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)

Comments

• Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    That was my assessment during the original offer for the Defiant.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,524 Arc User
    Yes, it's for that other game. They partner with Cryptic to cross-promote both games.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Maybe getting a plastic ship figure seems like it worth the non-cost of entry though. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    And it's not even something that can hang on your Christmas tree and light up. At least my tiny DS9 does THAT. :p

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    captaintroikacaptaintroika Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    This giveaway is just insulting. They can't be assed to make science ships for Romulans for STO, but pimping some miniture game's stuff is ok?
  • Options
    Well, if tiny ships are insulting to you... :/
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    I wonder, since when is a chance for winning anything for one person only considered a giveaway? I am sorry cryptic but IMO, this is plain and simple false advertisement.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    It's the Romulan Flash, fastest Romulan in the galaxy!

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I wonder, since when is a chance for winning anything for one person only considered a giveaway? I am sorry cryptic but IMO, this is plain and simple false advertisement.

True. Calling it a raffle would be more accurate.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    gradii wrote: »
    It's the Romulan Flash, fastest Romulan in the galaxy!

Flash! Aaaaaahh! Saviour of the romuverse!​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    @angrytarg

Not sure if knowing that song makes you more hard core or hard luck.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Interesting - if you don't have a valid US address, you can apparently still play - but you get Zen instead of an Attack Wing thingy... If you're not an Attack Wing player but a STO player, that's basically even better.
    bergins wrote: »
    @angrytarg

It's Queen! I don't know if it's hardcore, but it's awesome!

And there is yet another Star Trek association with Queen:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKo4FMzt_hM

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    @angrytarg

How can queen in any way, shape or form be remotely considered hard luck? pig-19.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User

Wasn't it also in a commercial not too terribly long ago or am I remembering wrong?

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I was thinking less about Queen and more about Flash Gordon, the Movie.
  • Options

Oh yeah. That one. Better move on pig-27.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Oh yeah. That one. Better move on pig-27.gif​​
    Meh, it was appropriately cheesy. I mean really.... Watch the original TV series. It's not identical but close.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    ... any way the wind blows...

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Romulan Flash Gordon would be epic.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,043 Community Moderator
    As someone who plays Attack Wing... would have been nice to win. Need to flesh out my Romulan fleet a bit more.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Is Attack Wing anything like Magic: The Gathering with Risk board game type pieces?
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,043 Community Moderator
    Not really no.

Kinda hard to describe so...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur6_Ezgga3I
    So far this seems to be a good intro type video.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    a better analogy would be the Warhammer table top game.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    johncampbell07johncampbell07 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    I hate to jump on anyone's whining bandwagon so I won't. I'll simply start one of my own.

Here's the problem. These promos are nice and I'm glad to see STO going after new players for a very worthwhile MMO. Well done and do continue.

Now for the complaint. Notice that the only people who have a chance at this are those who have social media accounts. What about the people who have been with STO for 5 + years, do not have Twitter nor Facebook, nor any desire to be so connected with them, only to find out that when the monthly subscription comes due it's expected even though the promos are for everyone but them? It would seem like a nice collectors item would be in order for those who have been so dedicated and those whose subscriptions pay for the promos. Just a thought. :smile:
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I hate to jump on anyone's whining bandwagon so I won't. I'll simply start one of my own.

Here's the problem. These promos are nice and I'm glad to see STO going after new players for a very worthwhile MMO. Well done and do continue.

Now for the complaint. Notice that the only people who have a chance at this are those who have social media accounts. What about the people who have been with STO for 5 + years, do not have Twitter nor Facebook, nor any desire to be so connected with them, only to find out that when the monthly subscription comes due it's expected even though the promos are for everyone but them? It would seem like a nice collectors item would be in order for those who have been so dedicated and those whose subscriptions pay for the promos. Just a thought. :smile:

Well, the people using their social media accounts are helping promote Star Trek Online (and Attack Wing, in this promo). So they provide a bit of an extra service for the companies involved. So they get a bit extra. (really "bitty" bit - the tiny chance to win something.)

There are giveaways in game, too, and they require nothing but being online when the giveaways are offered.
    They can't really make giveaways targeted specifically at people that don'T have social media accounts, do they? And they certainly have no incentive to do so.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

It's because those social media third party tools have become so significant that mentioning them on those is one of the primary reasons for such an promotion in the first place. Promotions are never about rewarding players, it's about... promotion. You should never make the mistake of thinking anything a company does is made as a gift or altruistic gesture towards the customers. You may profit from it, but ultimately that's just the incentive for you to support the thing.

That being said, I too do not use all that social meda doodats. I have, however, created a twitter account which does nothing but "follow" kind people like Bill Shatner, George Takei and Patrik Stewart because they will post funnies once in a while. The account is in no way connected to me as a natural person and I don't do anything with it. This allows you to partake in promtions if you wish.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif