test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What's going on with the Borg Alerts?

Did a couple of these today and ran into something odd.

After clearing the first 4 groups I turn towards the main boss and see that it's surrounded by what looked to be ten or more player ships already in position. Didn't cause me any problems, but it was odd.

Is the mission bugged such that people don't have to warp out and can just hang there until the boss spawns against using people new to the instance to clear the 4 groups?

Comments

• Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    It's been happening for a while now, it seems that that the player limit was raised. It seems to be doing that instead of the old spawn you in a completed instance thing it used to be so found of doing.

Likely the people showing up at the end were hopping from another completed Red Alert in a different map Zone, happens to me a fair bit when Red Alert hopping.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    Question: are you sure those are players? There are multiple abilities that allow you to call in support from playable ships.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    Question: are you sure those are players? There are multiple abilities that allow you to call in support from playable ships.

Yes, I'm sure. Full player style names and fleet memberships labeling.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User

Yes, I'm sure. Full player style names and fleet memberships labeling.

Huh, weird. I've never seen anything like that happen.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    banatinebanatine Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    I've been party to this strangeness too. Joinging a red alert and being the 10th guy there fighting the command ship.

It's possibly worth noting that i've ONLY seen it happen once the command ship appears, never in the 'middle' of the first phase. But it does seem to happen fairly regularly recently.

it's slightly annoying really, since i can fairly easily solo an entire Red Alert anyway :)
    Real Temporal Operative: Purchased the Special Temporal Agent pack before it was even officially announced!
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    I've spawned in right when the boss arrives many times. For me it usually happens when I come out of the tholian alert and jump directly inot the borg alert.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    I see it too and ya I can solo em as well. Actually got a bit of rage/hatred for a joke... all.i said was pop goes the tac cube and I vaped it in 2 seconds while 3 guys were fighting it. Got some hurtful pms actually...oh well...
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• Options
    banatinebanatine Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    semalda226 wrote: »
    I see it too and ya I can solo em as well. Actually got a bit of rage/hatred for a joke... all.i said was pop goes the tac cube and I vaped it in 2 seconds while 3 guys were fighting it. Got some hurtful pms actually...oh well...

If it's any consolation, that would have made me laugh :)
    Real Temporal Operative: Purchased the Special Temporal Agent pack before it was even officially announced!
  • Options
    grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    i kinda wish they upped the amount of borg groups you need to kill for the " boss" to show up, i kinda go there for the EXP/Expertise and sometimes just cant reach anything in time before other groups have killed all 4 groups needed in just a few seconds, wish it lasted a bit longer at the very least
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    semalda226 wrote: »

I'm not surprised you got a lot of slack from it. Borg alerts and Tholian alerts are popular once again because of the need of skill points. It's not really fair for others if you come in and eradicate a tactical cube that they might have wanted the XP for.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Although players get partial credit for the contributed damage. But yes, it is somewhat annoying to be severely out-DPS-ed and not really participating in the alert - not only for reward reasons but for gameplay reasons as well. Having too strong a team is just no fun at all, having too strong a team you're not even really part of even less.

On the OP: I've seen similar things happen, just the other day I soloed the 4 mobs on a character, only to come back to see the cigar surrounded by 6 or 7 ships. And this wasn't the first time.

(Actually, this time it was perfect for me, so I won't complain - said character wanted the ship XP, which you get mostly from the mobs, and would probably have had a hard time actually killing the final boss, so I got my XP and then swiftly my Dil and session done. The USUAL thing, as we all know, is that when you want quick rep/dil, you are alone, but when you want ship expertise, somebody 1 shots the whole instance, you get your dil but 2 errant ship XP)
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Yeah, these can cause a surprising amount of grief. I've been on both sides of the coin, I've been the Sci captain just trying to get Traits like AHoD and having only sub-par weapons and not having trained every BOff properly since char is new, but I've also been the one with Mk XIV beams on a very tweaked build FAWing everything to death in seconds trying to get the last few levels to 60 or another Spec point.

If I see the Borg Pickle already up when I warp into a Red Alert, I try very quickly to swap instances before it dies (which can happen very quickly) to try to get a fresh instance for more XP.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    This has been ongoing for at least the last few weeks I reckon as I've encountered it a few times.

Usually seems to be just me and a couple of players clearing the groups and then once we reach the Unimatrix it's already got 5-10 players killing it so sometimes dies before we get near it.

It is annoying because lots of people use those alerts for getting XP but the mega-FAW-death machines that face-roll everything mean some people don't get much.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    You don't even need the extra players. Borg Red Alerts are so easy and over so fast that guys come in and struggle to get a shot on any Borg.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    See I could understand the anger for maybe taking away a bit of the exp (I use a 450 PartG build) but In all fairness when 3 ships are getting massacred by a tac cube I kinda wanna help. And no this isn't a you need Moar deeps git gud comment I totally get that not everyone can be on par with everyone else and I'm a 4 year veteran.

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    You know that Tholian Red Alerts dump you right out into the fertile grounds where the Borg ones spawn. I have had that happen a few times to me.

Some other times I enter and am placed right near the Command Pickle that is surrounded by up to ten or so others. At that time it is a race to see if you can make it into firing range to get a few volleys off before the thing splits into a few pieces.

Also remember that the Borg and Tholian RAs are XP Boost Zones and with the current 150% extra special bonus. They are highly sought after for easing the Spec Point grind.
    Post edited by ltminns on
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this. I was thinking that I must had someone spike my ice tea or something for a bit. I don't always encounter it.

I can confirm that at least some of it is warping in at the last as a new player. Just had that happen with me.
  • Options
    acheronbladeacheronblade Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    I don't know if this is relevant or not, but sometimes I just log out or switch characters after completing the tholian alert. If I didn't leave the map, next time I load up that character I just come in right in the middle of the alert while 5 others are still doing it. it just lets me do it with them. crystalline entity works like that too, but it kicks you out after a few seconds.
    PRWDS5g.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    I actually hit up a Borg Alert today, only to warp in to fight the Command Ship.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Increasing the player limit was completely irresponsible. Borg alerts were already trivially easy with 5 players. I've seen instances with at least 12 players now, and its over so quickly you may well spend longer watching the transwarp animation and loading screens than fighting the Borg.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    I've seen this too--but only in the Beta Quadrant.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    The Red Alert popped and I entered right away. Low and behold, there are over a half dozen players beating on the Command ship. Fortunately it was only in the 80% range so I had enough time to close and beat on it for a time as well.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    nathraelnathrael Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I actually hit up a Borg Alert today, only to warp in to fight the Command Ship.

Could have been worse, could have come in and barely got a single volley off at the Pickle before it blew into fragments...

• Options
    Just did a borg alert this morning solo...not 1 person showed up in it...oh well more for me ^.^

• Options
    Still think they should auto Team in the Red Alerts and Deep Space Encounters. One of the main purposes of these is to boost XP and level Starship Masteries quickly. You don't get much if Simitars fly off on their own and burn down Cubes in the wink of an eye.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    would be nice if the japori DSE , the DSE just south of vulcan and 1 of the DSE's over by qu'onos would work......i don't know how many times i've rolled up on 1 of those 3 and i can see it on the screen an there isn't an interact button for them​​
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    nathrael wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »

Could have been worse, could have come in and barely got a single volley off at the Pickle before it blew into fragments...
    Happened to me yesterday. Warped in right when the command ship spawned, and it was surrounded..... I barely had time to hit it with Ionic turbulence before the massive focus fire obliterated it. I did note that I was one of several players who warped in around that time.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    I have seen this only once, I have done several after that incident and it has been fine.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    Did the unimatrix have grav well before?

Just did 1 after the patch and got grav welled, don't remember that happening before.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    svindal777 wrote: »
    Did the unimatrix have grav well before?

Just did 1 after the patch and got grav welled, don't remember that happening before.

One of them has grav well, yes.