test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Question about Recreating old STO story missions that have been removed

sanatobasanatoba Member Posts: 145 Arc User
Hi everyone, I am working on a few story lines in the Foundry that I am really excited about releasing soon, but I have a big problem. Some of them are based on STO storyline missions that are about to be removed (Cardassian) or already have been (Romulan). And I can't rewright the story with the new storyline missions and have it work. For example, one of my Cardassian based stories depends on the current Badlands mission. After you run the true Way out of the secret base in Badlands, a band of pirates moves in and takes up residence and you are sent back in to remove them. But with the new mission that will replace it, (yes I've checked it on Tribble) the new base won't work right and so I need to find an alternative. So I decided to recreate the Badlands mission in a way that it will be more interesting and will fit in with the new storyline. But I want to know if this sort of thing is legal to do for Foundry mission. Or do I risk getting in trouble re-creating old Cryptic-made STO content?
Been Playing STO as much as I can for 11+ Years!

"Never Surrender! Never give up Hope!"
"Prosperity and Success in everything you do."
"To Boldly go.........well punch it already!"
"To Be or Not To Be"....Alas, the Foundry is Not To Be. We Shall miss Thee, dear Friend!
"Does anyone remember when we used to be explorers?"- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
Thank You, Cryptic......even when I don't agree with all your decisions....Thank You for Star Trek Online!

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    In a case like this I think it's perfectly fine. I would just avoid remaking missions which are perfectly serviceable and will remain so (ex. Midnight) but that's only a logical problem (ie. why bother) rather than an administrative.

And if you want the "legal" backing, here's the parts of the EULA FAQ that directly pertain to this.
    Can we include Cryptic-made characters and stories in our Foundry missions? (e.g. the Admiral on Earth Spacedock, or the new Captain of the Enterprise-F)
    Nothing in the EULA prevents this”.

Can we use past stories from Star Trek and continue the story and build on the plot?
    Nothing in the EULA prevents this”.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    Indeed, there have already been not one, but two Foundry missions directly based on the infamous, long-since-removed Cryptic mission "Divide Et Impera". One's a sequel to the original mission ("Divide ut Regnes"), the other's a new-and-improved remake of it, made after the original was removed ("Divide Et Impera Redux").

I've already updated my own Ghosts of War series to reflect Legacy of Romulus and the revamped Romulan arc, and I expect to have to do so again for the revamped Cardassian arc.​​
  • sanatobasanatoba Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    K, thank you. This is a big help.

"To Be or Not To Be"....Alas, the Foundry is Not To Be. We Shall miss Thee, dear Friend!
    Thank You, Cryptic......even when I don't agree with all your decisions....Thank You for Star Trek Online!
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    I might wait until the new missions hit the live server.

You may find that they have incorporated elements of the removed missions into the new ones so you can still use your missions (the revamped Romulan missions did this). If so, then only slight modifications to your Foundry missions would be needed on your part. Seems to me that is much easier that rewriting the Cryptic content.

However, being the author of the aforementioned 'Divide ut Regnes' I know what you are going through. The mission was so heavily dependent on the Cryptic story, that I removed it from the Spotlight list voluntarily as it no longer made any sense when the new arc was released. (Which is actually a good thing! 'Divide et Impera' no longer needed a 'fix' :))

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you won't have to rewrite the Cryptic missions in order for your new missions to work. :)
    Thanks, captainhunter1, but I've already reviewed the new missions on Tribble. The Badlands replacement mission's base is too small and too Cardassian in style. There just isn't enough room to put in there everything I need to be in there. And I like the long spread out build of the original Badland's base. Plus, I think I've hit upon an awesome idea for re-creating the mission and having the base as an old maquis base the True Way took over after we run them out of the first base. And don't worry about me waiting untill Season 11 launches, as I was already planning on that. Afterall, if I'm making something to fit in with the new storyline and not the old, I don't want to release it before the rest of the storyline is.

Well don't I feel stupid now....the original Badlands base was also an old maquis base.......oh well, still have a great idea for the remake.

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    I just want to know how much was changed about the Gul Madred storyline, especially whether we still arrest him at Empok Nor.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    I might try my hands at Rapier.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    thay8472 wrote: »

Do we have the wormhole in the Foundry?​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    thay8472 wrote: »

Do we have the wormhole in the Foundry?​​

We've got the weird one currently used in "Rapier" .. I was going to change it so instead it takes place somewhere in the GQ.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • agarwaencranagarwaencran Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    Well... As a moderator of the german sto-forum I often talk with our CM Nevandon and he hasn't sayed anything about my mission "Qs Zustand", wish is a one-to-one version of the german version of "state of q". And it has his own thread, so the people from pwe should know about it.
    So, I asume, that there isn't any problem in praxis (like duncanidaho11 has showed about the theory). :)

Nice Idea btw... maybe I do this about some of the german versions, if I found the time :D