test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mirror universe of other franchises

markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
Star Trek isn't the only franchise with a mirror universe.

Hercules is one example of another TV show that did it. DC has the Antimatter universe.

So for this thread we'll each pick a TV series and explain how the mirror version of it is different.

So I'll start with Thundarr the Barbarian. So for this one the main characters would be the bad guys. Maybe in this one the wizards are actually trying to fix the devastated planet rather than just wanting to rule it?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
My character Tsin'xing
Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg

Comments

• turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    UFO (Century 21/Gerry Anderson - 1970) - SHADO would be the military arm behind a totaltarian Earth's plans to extend their reach out into the stars while the aliens would be heroic defenders tasked with keeping humans confined to Earth.

Does it have to be a TV series?

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    The master list: Mirror Universe.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Does it have to be a TV series?
    Enh, I guess not.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Arthurian legends - England is united in suffering under the cruel grip of the dictatorial King Arthur and the evil wizard Merlin who seek to rule the world. The only hope of the common people is Mordred, Arthur's illegitimate son and the force of good and honest men he assembles to oppose Arthur's elite enforcers the Knights of the Round Table.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    Arthurian legends - England is united in suffering under the cruel grip of the dictatorial King Arthur and the evil wizard Merlin who seek to rule the world. The only hope of the common people is Mordred, Arthur's illegitimate son and the force of good and honest men he assembles to oppose Arthur's elite enforcers the Knights of the Round Table.

and here i hoped he wouldve assembled the knights who say NI !!
    messahla wrote: »

and here i hoped he wouldve assembled the knights who say NI !!

By my knowledge of Monty Python, I believe the proper response to that would be... It!
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Stargate SG-1 did something like it in season 10's "The Road Not Taken". Carter gets sent to an alternate universe where General Hank Landry (the commanding general of Stargate Command for the Ori arc) is President Hank Landry and is essentially using the stargate program to rule the world, clamping down on freedom of expression in the US and sending F-302s to bomb villages in Ireland.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    I was really hoping for people to make up their own. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Doctor Who.

He leaves Galifray and essentially becomes the Master. Travelling around in his TARDIS interfering in other planets history to set himself up as leader or to use up their resources.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Babylon 5,

where instead of being the liberator of Earth and winner over the shadows, Sheridan uses the shadows to conquer earth and do a Clarke
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
      edited October 2015
      Mirror Star Wars: The corruption of the Sith has overwhelmed the galaxy, crushing the last remnants of the Republic beneath its Imperial boot. Now the last Jedi, Palpatine, and his prize apprentice, Anakin Skywalker, race to find Anakin's children, stolen from him in infancy by Sith agents, before the last sparks of the Light Side can be snuffed out...

Edited to add: I am also reminded of David Brin's deconstruction of Lord of the Rings, at the end of this rather interesting article...

"Ask yourself: 'How would Sauron have described the situation?'

"And then: 'What might "really" have happened?'

"Now ponder something that comes through even the party-line demonization of a crushed enemy — this clear-cut and undeniable fact: Sauron’s army was the one that included every species and race on Middle Earth, including all the despised colors of humanity, and all the lower classes.

"Hmm. Did they all leave their homes and march to war thinking, 'Oh, goody, let’s go serve an evil Dark Lord'?

"Or might they instead have thought they were the 'good guys,' with a justifiable grievance worth fighting for, rebelling against an ancient, rigid, pyramid-shaped, feudal hierarchy topped by invader-alien elfs and their Numenorean-colonialist human lackeys?

"Picture, for a moment, Sauron the Eternal Rebel, relentlessly maligned by the victors of the War of the Ring — the royalists who control the bards and scribes (and moviemakers). Sauron, champion of the common Middle Earthling! Vanquished but still revered by the innumerable poor and oppressed who sit in their squalid huts, wary of the royal secret police with their magical spy-eyes, yet continuing to whisper stories, secretly dreaming and hoping that someday he will return … bringing more rings."
      Post edited by jonsills on
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
      jonsills wrote: »
      "Picture, for a moment, Sauron the Eternal Rebel, relentlessly maligned by the victors of the War of the Ring — the royalists who control the bards and scribes (and moviemakers). Sauron, champion of the common Middle Earthling! Vanquished but still revered by the innumerable poor and oppressed who sit in their squalid huts, wary of the royal secret police with their magical spy-eyes, yet continuing to whisper stories, secretly dreaming and hoping that someday he will return … bringing more rings."

Actually, I can see that... Of course, I've always found the Southrons like the Haradrim more interesting than the Men of Gondor and Rohan, partly because their kings are here-and-now, not from a line that refused to take up the crown for nine-hundred years or so until the 'King' could use it to force tortured ghosts to fight for him 'to reclaim their honor'...
      Hmm... here's one, Resident Evil.

The first most obvious thing is to have Umbrella Corp as people trying to stop the "heroes" from infecting the entire world.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
    • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
      Mirror STO Forums: Everyone is polite and excited for upcoming improvements to the game... except in the banning thread, which is where the jerks go to be jerks.
      Hmm... here's one, Resident Evil.

The first most obvious thing is to have Umbrella Corp as people trying to stop the "heroes" from infecting the entire world.

Resident Evil V; Jill would 'see the light' and join Wesker in trying to save the world, only to be infected with a combination T-Virus/mind control agent by Chris after their battle.
    • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
      edited October 2015
      Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Hydra, a protection agency is taken down by SHIELD (a remnant of the oppressive Roosevelt) from the inside and it's up to Ward to rebuild and defeat the evil Director Coulson and his team of unconfused Inhumans. The show's named after the bad guys, so they probably win.
      Mission: Impossible (the classic TV series, not the movie remakes): A team of international criminals uses brains and technology along with bribery, blackmail and assassination to backstab their way to the top of not just the criminal underworld, but to make themselves the power 'behind the throne', so to speak, in countries around the world - all for their own benefit.
    • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
      The Offenders; In a mirror-universe Avengers television series, the brutish thug John Steed and his fearful companion Emma Peel act behind the scenes to enforce the will of the vicious worldwide criminal organization MI6, defeating each week the pathetic attempts of so-called "freedom fighters" to foil the plans of the evil British Empire.
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
      Ironside - After being shot by police during a raid - after he had already retired from the underworld - wheelchair-bound criminal genius Robert Ironside returns to his former life of crime as a planner and facilitator working to enable a crime wave so fierce that the police will be rendered incapable of 'serving and protecting' and the city government will be forced to capitulate to his demands.
    • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
      jonsills wrote: »
      The Offenders; In a mirror-universe Avengers television series, the brutish thug John Steed and his fearful companion Emma Peel act behind the scenes to enforce the will of the vicious worldwide criminal organization MI6, defeating each week the pathetic attempts of so-called "freedom fighters" to foil the plans of the evil British Empire.

I would watch that.​​
      22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
      Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
      'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!