test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Changing the BOff who speaks to you

dammitjimdammitjim Member Posts: 26 Arc User
Hi!
I recently worked on my BOffs. Now as a result my new BOff, who is a very ugly Hierarchy guy, appears in every window where I had another BOff previously. You know, the one talking to you during missions and stuff. And I mean both the big window in the middle of the screen as well as those little prompts on the left.
Is there a way to change which BOffs gives you advice? I want my pretty Romulan back!
Signature_01.png

Comments

• gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    I'm sorry but the Potato is part of your life now... FOREVER!

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
  • dammitjimdammitjim Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    Hell, I don't want this potato! I like him only for the intelligence specialization which, as I just noticed, I don't even use because I prefer his regular skills.. Damn. I might just discard the potato. Anyway, again - maybe someone knows if there is a way to make him as little visible as possible without throwing him out? :D
    Signature_01.png
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 698 Arc User
    Is he assigned as a Department Head in the DOFF system? Assigned to a Bridge Station? Assigned to an Away Team position? Those are the usual causes.

What's your BOFF seating layout on your bridge? Is there more than one of the type of station that the spud is in? If so, try moving him to the other one. Or to a universal station. After such a change, exit the game completely, re-enter, and see if the problem is solved.

There IS also a bug where sometimes one BOFF will pop up in another's place, with the other BOFF's name showing (usually when requesting a beam up). Your doctor's name with your engineer's picture, for example. But if the name and picture match, then that's not it.

Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck with Duncan "Idaho". ;)
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    Did you recently put potato head "to work" in a slot once occupied by your Romulan?

I've noticed that the game "trends" to pulling your "highest slotted" Sci / Tac / Engie from the "active BOff seats" - aka, as a Science ship pilot, whenever I need to see a "science" officer, I'll see potato-head because he's in the Cmdr Sci seat, my Lib Borg engie shows up for almost all engie texts because she's slotted in the engie seat, and my Tac Android has replaced my Saurian for Tactical stuff ever since I made the Tac officers on my bird the Android and the Talaxian (since Talaxian takes up the ensign seat, the android shows up a lot...)

Once in a while I'll see one of my "department head" BOffs instead of the "highest slotted active" one, one mission when I had to scan a Cardassian, send the results back to the ship and get cause of death, I saw my "medical department" department head sunglasses wearing Trill instead of Potato... (That, and potato is on my away team...)
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • dammitjimdammitjim Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    He occupies one bridge station, but not even the highest - I have another sci on the commander slot. He wasn't on the away team nor a department head. Anyways, I took him down for a moment and in the doff roster I changed some seats. He didn't even appear there but somehow that did it - I no longer see his glorious potato face :D Thanks for the hints!
    Signature_01.png
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    BOFF seat assignments determines who comes up in the chat windows. Typically the highest ranked one. For an Engineering based chat, it seems the one sitting at a Cmdr ENG station will chat instead of the one sitting on an Ens ENG station.

Also, those that you select for Department Heads play a role also.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • arrmateysarrmateys Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    doesn't it take the first one it finds of each specialization? so, if it wants a tac one, it'll grab the first one it finds in the boff seats from left to right, top to bottom and display his ugly mug.​​
    Post edited by arrmateys on
    Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
    We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
    We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,613 Arc User
    I'd pay zen to be able to choose the boffs that show up and talk to me.

I'd pay even more zen to be able to use genetic resequencers to give the boff I want the space traits I want.

Until then, I endure the potato for his Pirate + Efficient traits :(
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    Thinking about this, combining it with the results of some recent Foundry Play - I think the BOff that'll show up in the Comm window is, ultimately, going to be determined by the designer's call...

In a recent foundry series I played, 3 of my 4 "away" BOffs just happen to be the highest ranking space BOff seats on my ship - Pathfinder: Potato Head occupies Cmdr Sci, Borg Engie occupies only Engie Seat, Android is my higher Tac - rounded out with Reman in LtCmdr "Sci" and Talaxian Tacitcal "ensign"... Rounding out that 4th slot of my away team is the "freebie" Borg Sci from Khitomer Accord's accolade...

Every "comm window" when the team was together played Potato, Borg, or Android, based on the class of the speaker. Rare "from ship" comms in that series would pull the "higher ranked" Reman BOff as "the face of the ship" - despite the fact that I named my Diplomatic Orion as the Exec on the department head window...

Meanwhile, in a lot of the Cryptic missions, I notice that I see whoever I placed in a certain department head window shows up for certain comms, whether it would be logical to hear from them or not - after watching it enough times, I've noticed that scanning the dead Cardassian in the spectre's arc will always display my medical department head, whether said character was right alongside me on the away team or off on the ship...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    I've noted that there seem to be multiple ways that the boffs get called too. And each individual time that it gets coded gets coded differently. There also seems to be a function for "first in list". Boffs seem to be organized by roster slot numbers, and this particular function looks for whatever boff has the lowest slot number.

So:
    Away Team(ordered from top-down/left-right based on your team selections, if you don't have one and this gets called I think it might default to first-in-list)
    Ship stations(choses highest rank of that type, if none found ?)
    Department heads(if set, if not ?)
    First-in-list
    Also there's a special function used in Romulan missions for Tovan.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg