test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Idea to improve Exchange

So the other day I accidentally posted 10 keys for 3,730,000 instead of 37,300,000. Despite my attempt to abort the listing, it sold in less than a second. It was a little painful - that's about $10 that just went poof.

I can't be the only person this has ever happened to - so I've been thinking what they could do to help avoid this without irritating everyone in the process. An extra pop-up would not help - we already have to many "are you sure you want to do this?" in the game.

Rather my idea would be once you click the "Post" button, the item gets a 10 second timer. During this timer the item isn't visible to anyone else and you can safely cancel it without fear of it getting sold off. Once the timer expires it becomes visible to other players and can be sold.

This way there are no extra pop-ups and no extra annoyance for exchange users. Plus we get that 10 second window to cancel our posting before it can be sold, which helps if you are listing something very expensive. It's easy to miss a zero.

Comments

• angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    That problem has never happened to me but what you propose is actually a good idea. It should be a simple thing......nah, they should leave it alone. They would mess it up and we'd have no exchange for 6 months. Just being realistic.
  • sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    I second this idea. In cases where there is no mistake, there'd be no obvious difference on the seller's end, and while the window is quite small, it should be more than big enough to prevent a 90% loss because of a missed keystroke.
  • captainransomcaptainransom Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    ...or you could do what the rest of us do and once you type in a price click somewhere else to watch the commas drop into place before pressing submit. With the actual fixes they're doing I don't think this is needed. Sorry just double check your stuff. :#
    giphy.gif

"It's easy to cling to principles when you're standing on a vessel with its bulkheads intact, manned by a crew that's not starving."

• breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I've done exactly what the OP described. I dragged the item from my Inventory, clicked on the posting price, entered the price I wanted, and hit Post... and realized I'd missed a 0. Of course the moment I clicked Post I knew it was the wrong number, but faster than I could click to the right page of my posted items it was gone. I was left with a Mail telling me exactly who@what had gotten such a great deal, along with a reminder of exactly what price I'd posted at just seconds before.

The thing is, in both the OP's case and mine... PEBCAK. It was my own damn fault for being in too much of a hurry, for typing in the wrong number, and for clicking Post after doing so. The same is true of the OP, and I hope that the OP takes just a second or two longer when posting expensive items from now on. It's well worth the extra time to count those zeros before hitting Post rather than realizing there's one less than there ought to be afterward.

As to the suggestion, just... no. We have time gates on almost everything else, we don't need them on Exchange of all things. pbbbtt.gif
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    I really wish it would add the commas automatically while typing the price. It would save the additional click, and frustrations in these types of situations.​​
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I am against this change because then I wouldn't make huge profits off of mistakes like this.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    I am against this change because then I wouldn't make huge profits off of mistakes like this.

I agree with this assestment.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • xparr15xparr15 Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    I agree that it's just a lesson to be learned. I'd rather something like more filters be added to the exchange than this. I've had this happen to me several times and I've been the person that bought somebody else's missed 0. As others have said, just click off and watch the commas. Happens to the best of us.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

Click outside the price box, and it will add comma formatting to the price.

Always do it, every time, always.

Yep.. exactly this.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • bobs1111bobs1111 Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Seeing as they have taken away our Search by time expire a long time ago. Why not. Also server wise it would be a good way for them to program some efficiency in. Have it put everything on a 20-30s timer when it posts... that the poster doesn't really notice unless they look at their selling list. (as in not slow down people posting multiple items.) It would save them server time as the server could seamlessly post 100s of items in one shot when the server wasn't being tasked with game critical stuff... and we wouldn't notice the exchange lag at all as users.

I mentioned the search by time thing... cause all removing that has done is ensure that people sitting on items waiting to snap them up are now using bots. (it used to be fun to sit there on a Sat Afternoon and search by time expire... I shouldn't admit that at times I found myself sitting there for 2 or 3 hours doing nothing else... it was addicting). Now most of the things that get insta snapped up are snapped up by bots... which has not made the game better.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    I like your idea of a 10 second timer. But in the meantime whenever you enter a price for your item click outside of the box BEFORE you post it for sale. The system will add apostrophes to your price and this gives you another opportunity to check for mistakes. 37'300'000 is lot easier to identify than 37300000.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    And then the careless posters whine that they just noticed it 10 seconds later and demand it be extended to 20 seconds. And then the careless posters whine that they just noticed it 20 seconds later and demand it be extended to 30 seconds. And then the careless...

You messed up. Get over it and be more careful next time.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I agree with everyone else who suggested checking the price first to be sure it's the price you want to sell it at. It only takes a second or so to do that. You can't be in THAT big of a hurry that an extra second or two would be a disaster.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    So the other day I accidentally posted 10 keys for 3,730,000 instead of 37,300,000. Despite my attempt to abort the listing, it sold in less than a second. It was a little painful - that's about $10 that just went poof.

I can't be the only person this has ever happened to - so I've been thinking what they could do to help avoid this without irritating everyone in the process. An extra pop-up would not help - we already have to many "are you sure you want to do this?" in the game.

Rather my idea would be once you click the "Post" button, the item gets a 10 second timer. During this timer the item isn't visible to anyone else and you can safely cancel it without fear of it getting sold off. Once the timer expires it becomes visible to other players and can be sold.

This way there are no extra pop-ups and no extra annoyance for exchange users. Plus we get that 10 second window to cancel our posting before it can be sold, which helps if you are listing something very expensive. It's easy to miss a zero.

Bro !
    I just did that exact same thing 2 weeks ago LMAO, I FEEL YOUR PAIN !
    ...I had something on my mind at that time...previously, I thought Id never make that silly mistake.
    And there I was thinking about something that was stressing me out....and whooopsie, gone in the blink of an eye, 10 keys for 3,750,000 mil ec

Ah well, I checked the name of the person who got them, thought of mailing them, but my better sense kicked in, and decided to let them enjoy the windfall. It was in fact my mistake, and not theirs.

What goes around will come around eh ?

EDIT: But your idea would've been a nice saving grace, had they had something like that in game :P

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    As someone else posted, it's an expensive lesson learned. I don't post many items for millions of ec, simply because I rarely acquire anything worth that much. But when I have accidentally put a wrong price on something it was a lesson learned to check my price first before hitting submit.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User

I've done exactly what the OP described. I dragged the item from my Inventory, clicked on the posting price, entered the price I wanted, and hit Post... and realized I'd missed a 0. Of course the moment I clicked Post I knew it was the wrong number, but faster than I could click to the right page of my posted items it was gone. I was left with a Mail telling me exactly who@what had gotten such a great deal, along with a reminder of exactly what price I'd posted at just seconds before.

The thing is, in both the OP's case and mine... PEBCAK. It was my own damn fault for being in too much of a hurry, for typing in the wrong number, and for clicking Post after doing so. The same is true of the OP, and I hope that the OP takes just a second or two longer when posting expensive items from now on. It's well worth the extra time to count those zeros before hitting Post rather than realizing there's one less than there ought to be afterward.

As to the suggestion, just... no. We have time gates on almost everything else, we don't need them on Exchange of all things. pbbbtt.gif

Beware of posting too quickly my friend.
    Or when something is stressing you out and is preoccupying your mind.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    I really wish it would add the commas automatically while typing the price.
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    My biggest thing i would like to see them impliment is a stack ssearch option, so that if i want to see only stacks of 10 or 20 i can skip the pages of stacks of one item. It might be less expensive to buy one at a time but i would like to not have to hit the buy button 20 or so times too get my item i want in the stack i want. Even a method of putting a stack of 20 in but having it either that the buyer can buy a single one from the stack, or you can have the game divide it down into the stack sizes you want to sell in with the price you want per stack.
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Doh! Sorry to hear about your loss, comrade. Peace be to you.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• bobs1111bobs1111 Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    goodscotch wrote: »
    Doh! Sorry to hear about your loss, comrade. Peace be to you.

Well op at least you know your not the only one. No laughter or finger pointing. Everyone of us that has used the exchange more then a few times have done something like it at some point. Just remember to click off to check the comas before you hit post it will become a habit.

Having said that... I don't mind the Wait idea I think it could help with server speed anyway. I do like the simple solution someone posted as well though... simply make the comas show up as you type the price into the box. That seems like it would be a 2min programming fix for someone at Cryptic.

At least you know your far from alone.
  • shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    Here is what I do to validate all item prices I post:

After entering the EC-price, mouse click anywhere outside the EC window and away the Post button. The commas will auto-insert themselves into the EC-price entry window to show you exactly what value you entered. Therefore, if you key in "10000000," once you mouse click outside the price box, the number you entered will auto-translate to "10,000,000."

Do NOT hit the POST button until you've clicked outside of the EC-box to let the number commas auto-populate and confirmed that the value you entered is what you intend.

Hope this helps.

• sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    dabelgrave wrote: »
    I really wish it would add the commas automatically while typing the price. It would save the additional click, and frustrations in these types of situations.​​

yes, a good idea.
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    I imagine all of us have made this particular booboo at some point or another.
    I wont repeat what others have said about double checking your prices, you assuredly have learned that lesson.
    The idea though isnt a bad one, and should be added to the 3.2quintillion page encyclopedia of ways the exchange could be improved that grows ever steadily, yet remains dusty on the shelf...
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • jrdragonettijrdragonetti Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    Yep, did it once with 10 keys that i paid my hard earned cash for, made me feel a little bit sick inside, but trust me, you'll only do it once
  • jerichoredoranjerichoredoran Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    While I find the suggestion a bit stupid the problem itself is stupid. I'm sitting right in front of a calculator why do I have to make this calculation myself? I want to post 18 @ 14523, so be it (without pulling out an extra calculator). Adding the separators while you type would be helpful too of cause.

But then the very first reply got it: Dont touch it or it breaks (even more)