test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[acc] Overflow and Fire at Will

As most of you probably know, being the dedicated form goers that you are, [acc] overflow does not currently work when you use the skill fire at will. From my understanding only your selected primary target will be affected by acc overflow.

So now is my question. Is this working as intended or is this a bug that will eventually be fixed?
Tza0PEl.png

Comments

• Options
    sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    It's a bug they don't know how to fix.

It also doesn't work with Torp Spread and Cannon Scatter Volley.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    It's a bug they don't know how to fix.

It also doesn't work with Torp Spread and Cannon Scatter Volley.

So basically It won't be getting fixed. Sadness. :'(
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,318 Arc User
    The accuracy overflow on an ability such as BFAW always seemed odd to me and i hope, despite the comment from @sarcasmdetector about it being a bug, that this is a new feature.

"Spray and pray" those beam arrays folks and they are even more accurate when we do it like that.​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    I was under the impression the ACC overflow don't work at all. I have not seen any respectable numbers when I was still using weapons even with ACCx3.
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    This is a bug I could get behind, if only more things worked that way with FAW it might actually be balanced for once.
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    The accuracy overflow on an ability such as BFAW always seemed odd to me and i hope, despite the comment from @sarcasmdetector about it being a bug, that this is a new feature.

"Spray and pray" those beam arrays folks and they are even more accurate when we do it like that.​​
    I seem to remember a detailed post from a dev explaining that it doesn't work correctly, and they can't figure out a way to fix it.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    kyrrok wrote: »
    I was under the impression the ACC overflow don't work at all. I have not seen any respectable numbers when I was still using weapons even with ACCx3.

Same here...and I've seen claims from others as well.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    BFAW NEEDS HELPS!
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    BFAW NEEDS HELPS!

Indeed. It is so underpowered it is barely worth using. /sarcasm​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    It's not really faw I'm concerned with. It's the fact that acc has become the red headed step child of modifiers.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    xparr15xparr15 Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I understand that people don't necessarily like FAW very much, but a bug is a bug and this one deserves to be fixed as much as any other.

That being said, as far as I know it has always been this way and the devs do not know how to fix it.

As a side note, the only reason I really care about this at all is because, as stated above, [acc] becomes a really useless modifier if overflow doesn't affect AOE. This game is primarily designed for AOE, making [acc] a waste.
  • Options
    nikephorus wrote: »
    It's not really faw I'm concerned with. It's the fact that acc has become the red headed step child of modifiers.

I think [snare] still holds that position.​​
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

Not [Thrust]?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User

Not [Thrust]?

[Snare] holds it until the fix for it goes live. Right now it not only "snares" the target but also the person using it lol
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    rmy1081 wrote: »

Not [Thrust]?

[Snare] holds it until the fix for it goes live. Right now it not only "snares" the target but also the person using it lol

Oh, I forgot about that bug(fix). :) But afterwards, it's [Thrust], right?

(Plus any PvPRes / PvPDmg thingies which still exist.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    But even without the acc overflow, it is a good thing to actually hit your opponents so i very much doubt [acc] will be the red headed stepsister.

(if it does turn out that way i am sure that the stepsister will still be worth dating. :open_mouth: )​​
  • Options
    But even without the acc overflow, it is a good thing to actually hit your opponents so i very much doubt [acc] will be the red headed stepsister.

(if it does turn out that way i am sure that the stepsister will still be worth dating. :open_mouth: )​​

NPCs are hard to miss. ACC was however always important in PvP, because people there get all kinds of bonus defense. Heck, the fact that they don't fly at 1/4 impulse all the time alone makes a huge difference.
  • Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    Whether or not a broken Acc has a more balanced approach to abilities like BFAW, doesn't matter.

Anything that is broken should get fixed.

And honestly, nerfing stuff isn't and never will be the way to go for balance pass. Buffing alternatives is the only viable way really if you don't want to get into a huge flame fight with half of your customers.​​
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    If they don't know how to fix it, they should change it in some other way that makes an acc overflow not a waste (currently, it's the only modifier that can overflow). Or just scrap it and change it to something else (i.e. a kinetic res debuff).
    ryuga81.png
  • Options
    shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    How about scrapping the current BFAW code and starting over from scratch? :open_mouth:

From what I can tell, BFAW normally performs the following subroutintes:

1) check which beam weapons have an available target based on their firing arcs and a target position
    2) randomly select 1 target for each weapon
    2) calculate hit probability for each selected target that a weapon can fire upon
    3) check if each target is successfully hit via RNG check
    4) calculate and apply damage to targets successfully hit

Step#3 is where the breakdown is happening in the present code. This suggests that subsequent targets after the primary target are not being processed in the same manner as the primary target. If this is the case, then the BFAW code probably needs a bit of clean-up work. If the source codes are no longer available to edit, then Cryptic may be better off dumping the present BFAW subroutines and starting over. Yes, this can be quite messy, but if it has to be fixed, you have to start somewhere...
  • Options
    dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    No wonder the code is so messy, the ability was redone so many times even the devs lost count. I wonder what the original dev would say about "his" main mine/fighter clearing skill being used as top dps skill of choice.
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”