test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GTX 970 good for STO?

I game on a single 1080p monitor. My current GPU is a GTX 560Ti SC, which has only 1GB GDDR5, and while it can handle STO graphics at that resolution, it's pretty much maxxed out. Even "static" screens cause high GPU load.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a GTX 970 which has 4GB GDDR5. I think it should handle STO without struggling. Anyone else using one of these cards at 1080p? I am aware of the 3.5GB "issue" with these cards, so appreciate if anyone can comment from experience if STO comes close to or exceeds that amount of graphics memory usage at 1080p.

Thanks!
screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png

Comments

• quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    well i hope so , i ordered one for my self , finding my current rig being basically pushed aside by the dev team here at Cryptic.
    The 970 is a powerful card that can run most current gen games at a high setting if not more, its listed to run star citzen at high which says alot.
    Cryptic has one shot to keep me as a customer here seeing the other possibilities that can run excellent l on that card that where my dime and time goes .
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    I have no doubt the 970 will be better than my 560Ti, but my only concern is the VRAM usage. Right now my 1GB 560Ti hits 90% memory utilization while playing STO (according to HWMonitor), but I don't know if it will dynamically use more if available and if so, how much more.

I'm hoping there's someone out there that already has a 970 will chime in.
  • svajdasvajda Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Does your current setup actually have slowdown, or any noticable issues? I have to ask cause I've seen this game run at max settings with no issues on integrated laptop cards, and if you are not having issues, why would you be worried about checking on how hard your card is working?
    Just curious.
    svajda wrote: »
    Does your current setup actually have slowdown, or any noticable issues?
    Current card pretty much runs at max or close to max the whole time STO is running, regardless of what's going on. My main concern is approaching 3.5 GB of VRAM if I get the 570, because of the memory issue.

• vorokvonrurikvorokvonrurik Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Well, I have a Sapphire Vapor-X with AMD HD 5770 and 1 GB Ram. I play @ 4x MSAA, 16x Ansitropic, High Graphics, DX 9 # Driver on an AMD Phenom II X4 945. This card is like 5 years old. It only stutters @ Ocampa Patrol (IDK what cryptic did there). I really can't imagine that your 570 is the issue here.... Ok, on the other side, I only use 1280x1024 and my launcher does not let me change this setting...hmm. But, with lower quality (less MSAA, Ansitropic, reduce decals) 1920x1080 should not be a problem. Maybe something runs in the background...? Or your card gets to hot and clocks down?
  • angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    I run a 970 GTX (MSI variant) with an AMD phenom IIx4 965 BE. I run the game a max settings and it works well. Some heavy fighting areas FPS can drop to ~30(acceptable to me). I have liquid cooling and I run a bit of overclocking but even at standard settings STO runs the same.

Granted, SB24 and ground areas with foliage FPS can be as low as 6 but thats not my rig, thats some kind of bug. My last card was a 480 GTX and that ran near max settings the same as my 970. I also doubled my memory when I upgraded my video card. STO has many inefficiencies, it seems, and even major computer upgrades don't impact the performance of the game much.

The 970 is a good card and many other games will perform better. Just make sure you have the minimum power requirements to run it.
  • darthwoodarthwoo Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    I've been using a 750Ti since February when I got a new PC. It does everything at high, and while it's not a perfect 60FPS all the time, it's quite reasonable nearly everywhere. The only places I ever have problems are the Sphere Space Battlezone near the end.
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    I use a GTX 680 classified with 4gb of ram and I run sto maxed out on everything. I'm sure a GTX 970 will have absolutly no problem with STO. Considering the card I use is 2 years older than the 970. TBH I believe a 970 wouldn't have any trouble maxing out games like Witcher 3, Metal Gear Solid V and even GTA V.

P.S. when I first read the forum title I though you were JK.
    My interest in a new card is not because of any particular issue with STO. STO runs OK on my 560Ti, but it is an aging card so I'm planning to upgrade it.

And yes I see the same slowdowns in the same places as everyone else; it bogs down in ground areas with lots of grass/foliage, etc. Even fairly static screens like the Change Char screen causes load. It just must be the way the game engine is written.

angrybobh wrote: »
    I run a 970 GTX (MSI variant)...
    Finally! I knew there had to be 970 owners out there. :)

Can you tell me how much VRAM is used when you play STO? MSI Afterburner can show this. Thanks.

• angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    sitting in allied sphere space (a little low FPS, again bug) 924 MB is all

Edit: also shows 53% GPU usage but minimum clock speed.
    Thanks man, that's the info I needed to know.
    well i got my new rig up and running , the card so far runs the game nicely . havent play all content in the game yet but so far no stutter or drops . and on win 10 too
    What GPU did you have before?
    a real old Nvida almost as old as the game itself .
  • kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    I have a 960. With it, STO crashes when I try to use DX11 (so I have to use DX9), but runs completely fine at max settings otherwise. The only real stuttering I get is due to network issues, rather than local performance issues.
  • salacnar070890salacnar070890 Member Posts: 425 Bug Hunter
    I run on a Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4 GHz (OC to 3.6) and a MSI Twin Frozr Geforce GTX 780 and i have everything maxed out in-game and still get like 30 to 60 fps depending on on map and UI (<- the UI in this game need an resource requesting overhaul to be less demanding)
    Salacnar
    =/\=Priority One Armada=/\=
    32 | Introvert | ADD (W/O Hyperactivity) | He/Him | Hetro-Demisexual | 6’9” ft-in tall | Avatar by: foodcu_be | Gunpla | STO | Yu-Gi-Oh!
    kirimuffin wrote: »
    I have a 960. With it, STO crashes when I try to use DX11...
    I run DX11 on my 560Ti just fine. Nvidia driver 355.82.
    ...the UI in this game need an resource requesting overhaul to be less demanding
    Yeah it's weird that even "static" screens like just looking at the character menu winds up GPU usage. It's been that way since the beginning though, and doesn't look like they're able to fix it without a complete engine overhaul.

yeah the game has some optimization issues for sure , but the GTX 970 runs the game much better than what i had . plus i can play other newer titles that look fantastic with this card ,