test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Returning player in need of a crash-course to catch me up

delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
Just recently returned after a long hiatus, and the game seems quite a bit different from when I last left it. I've been working on grinding out all the new reps (T5 Borg, Rom, Nukara / T2 Dyson - Iconian so far), but I can tell I'm still out of the loop on certain things too.

My main character is a KDF Science captain who tends to fly smaller ships, such as BoPs (Hegh'ta was my go-to ship from back in the day), though I also have a Mirror Vo'quv sitting around, as well as a Nihydron Destroyer and Kazon Heavy Raider (just recently bought these off the exchange cause they were cheap). Previously, I always seemed to manage to miss seasonal event ships somehow, so I don't have any of those yet, though hopefully I'll be able to cash in on Q's this year.
I'm not very space rich. I only have about 100k dil, and 10 mil EC. I don't have any T5-U or T6 ships at present, and really have no idea what ships to be looking at were I incline to buy an upgrade, fleet ship, or c-store ship. Recommendations concerning ships would be welcome. The new Pilot and Flight Deck Raptors look pretty nice on paper (and I should hope so for $30 a pop), but I can't seem to find much discussion on them. Plus I'm wondering what the winter event will bring, and if any new T6 BoPs are in the works, too.

I'm still running the Mk XII Assimilated Borg set until I get through my rep grind. Though I'm not entirely sure what set I should be aiming for right now. And I'm also running a DBB + DHCs.

Regarding consoles...

I have Plasmonic Leech, as well as the Assimilated Console + Kinetic Beam. From what I understand, these are still pretty good. What I'm finding surprising is that no one seems to be using or recommending Field Generators or Neutronium Alloy anymore. Back when I played, these were basically staples in every build. Instead, people seem to be suggesting no Engineering armor consoles at all, and instead dedicating Engineering slots to Universals. And instead of Field Gens, they seem to be filling Science slots with the Embassy Plasma consoles with +Flow to synergize with Leech. Maybe I'm missing something, but that seems like it would severely weaken my shield capacity and general survivability. I get that the Plasma explosion pracs and Leech synergy are great, but the trade-off with survivability makes me a bit hesitant, especially since I'm still in relatively weak T5 ships with lower hull/shields and less consoles.

I understand there are some new advanced R&D consoles for Engineering (Conductive RCS) and Science (Exotic Particle Field Exciter). I'm still leveling up my own R&D from scratch, since all that is brand new to me as well. Where do these fit in? Also, what about the Fleet Research Lab Consoles--Restorative/Exotic Particle Focusers?

I imagine Fleet Tactical Locator consoles are the way to go for tac console slots. What mods should I be looking for on my weapons though? Previously, 2x Acc was my bread and butter, since I PvP'd more than anything else, but since PvP seems pretty dead, and I'm busy focusing on PvE for the moment anyway, 2x Acc seems less than very useful, and I recall seeing something about Dmg being the go-to mod these days.

Are the Rare fleet Rom Tactical Boffs from fleet store still ideal for their space trait? Are there any other new Boffs I should look out for?

Specializations are totally new to me. As I enjoy space combat more than anything else, I've been investing into the Pilot spec as my secondary spec, and Intel as my primary spec, but I'm just kinda going on what sounds good from the ability descriptions so far. So, I figure I should ask before investing any more.

As for skills, here's my skill build: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=kdfscireturningbuild_0

I haven't change anything since I got back. Not sure if this needs changing or not, but I do have 6 respec tokens available if necessary.

I don't really have any special lockbox or reward traits that I'm aware of (I included what traits I'm running in the above skill planner). Are there any new traits I should be looking out for?

As far as Doffs, I have a VR and Rare Breen Shield Distribution officer, a Rare Grav Scientist (as I'm currently running Grav Well, though I switch between that and Eject Warp Plasma from time to time, and I have the EWP Doff as well), a Rare Warp Core Engi, and a Rare Damage Control Engi.

I know that's a lot of ground to cover, but I'd appreciate any sound advice you can offer.