test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

True Colors

I have a major OCD question that's been plaguing me since the uniform update first came out. I've seen so many different answers for it that it's driving me crazy, and I was hoping that I could get an official answer once and for all...maybe with a screen shot as proof. And it's such a tiny thing, too.

Okay, so here it is: All captains wear white shoulders...BUT...do they all wear the red stripe? Or do they keep their original department color underneath the white segment?

I've had just as many people in equal numbers give me completely opposite answers. If you know for an absolute fact that npc captains wear their department color under the white (science or engineering captains), please post! Like I said, a screenshot wouldn't hurt either. :smile:

Comments

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    There was a uniform guide on Arc and in the forums. The forum link I got: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1159711/new-oddy-uniform-color-layouts/p1

The Arc link is here: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/6005803

A PDF is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ji0l9nt7q43r2bx/Starfleet_Uniform_Code_2410_web.pdf

This might be the most important for player characters:
    Commanding Officer: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/6005853
    Flag Officer: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/6005873
    Service Uniform for any Rank: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/6005823

a48e545c2f2aa6ee767f7ffdce5ceb631406239062.png
    3f7898fc4c884769a44810b3097fe1e11406239646.png
    8340985682d67154e8ea0c10d0579e781406239912.png

Okay, so here it is: All captains wear white shoulders...BUT...do they all wear the red stripe? Or do they keep their original department color underneath the white segment?
    If you notice, the pictures for the regular service uniform has 3 variations, by department/career, but the Captain variant does only have the Red (which also represents Command since TNG).
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • Options
    happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    If you notice, the pictures for the regular service uniform has 3 variations, by department/career, but the Captain variant does only have the Red (which also represents Command since TNG).

Of course in TNG security is Gold... yet here they're back to TOS Redshirts. So if they're aiming for TNG they messed up. If they were aiming for TOS, well... no command Gold so... they messed up. If they were aiming to give every "class" their own "official" color to distinguish people's roles, well, by relegating all players to red, and making color schemes optional... they messed up.

But on the bright side... they have some kind of standard now. Except, you know, there's a bunch of NPCs running around breaking that standard, like having colored shoulders. But that's just minor NPCs here and there... except, you know, Tom Freaking Paris is a captain and wearing the long jacket supposedly reserved for senior flag officers... so yeah, they not only messed up the TOS thing, and the TNG, and the class-based thing... they even messed up their own thing.

In short: There is no standard, the guide is a lie and Cryptic is completely and totally physically incapable of picking a motif and sticking with it.
  • Options
    pwmiykaelpwmiykael Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    First and foremost, I would like to stress that I am WELL aware of the official uniform guide posted by the devs on the Arc forum. I used this to make my crew as canon to the 25th century as possible.

Now...I am also well aware that the aforementioned "official" guide only shows a captain with a red stripe. However, there's no way of knowing if that is meant for ALL captains, or if they are only showing a picture of a tactical captain.

It is entirely possible that all captains wear red like in TNG and beyond. However, I would argue that the only reason the department colors are what they are now is for the sake of gameplay. For a video game's "class system." Were this not the case, all the colors would have been made canon to the television series.

Since they didn't make them canon, and they have each player initially wearing the color of their class, it would not make sense to break this pattern from a pure gameplay stance. Each player would still need their own color to distinguish their abilities to their fellow players.

Put simply, if they were going to make all captains wear red like in the shows, then they may as well have not used the white shoulders at all. Additionally, they would have kept tactical as gold. Not red.

It should also be noted that the term "redshirts" only applied to the original series, when red and gold positions were reversed. Either way, in all Treks (TOS included), tactical, security, engineering, and ops ALL wore the same color. Command and helmsman shared a different color. The only thing that has remained true and constant is science/medical.

So what I'm saying is, if they're going to make all captains wear red - thus nullifying multiplayer class distinction - then they may as well fix the bridge officers as well.

Of course in TNG security is Gold... yet here they're back to TOS Redshirts. So if they're aiming for TNG they messed up. If they were aiming for TOS, well... no command Gold so... they messed up. If they were aiming to give every "class" their own "official" color to distinguish people's roles, well, by relegating all players to red, and making color schemes optional... they messed up.

But on the bright side... they have some kind of standard now. Except, you know, there's a bunch of NPCs running around breaking that standard, like having colored shoulders. But that's just minor NPCs here and there... except, you know, Tom Freaking Paris is a captain and wearing the long jacket supposedly reserved for senior flag officers... so yeah, they not only messed up the TOS thing, and the TNG, and the class-based thing... they even messed up their own thing.

In short: There is no standard, the guide is a lie and Cryptic is completely and totally physically incapable of picking a motif and sticking with it.

I honestly laughed out loud at this. Your post pretty much embodied everything that was driving my nerd rage at this game. As a sci fi geek with OCD, consistency is important above all else! :smile:
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    pwmiykael wrote: »
    ...there's no way of knowing if that is meant for ALL captains, or if they are only showing a picture of a tactical captain.
    Sure there's a way to know. It says commanding officers. Meaning all commanding officers. If there were different ones for engineers and science, it would show it. Harry Kim wore yellow/gold when he was an Ensign yet now he wears red as a captain. /thread
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    I prefer the red to the gold 100% anyway, I think the engineer gold is kinda ugly :(

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    therealmaddmatttherealmaddmatt Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    Since the BOFF guide specifies the individual career colours, and the Captain's guide doesn't, the implication that it's just intended to be red for the player. This isn't to say that one can't have two versions of your costume--one that makes sense in canon, and another for the in-game colour coding (provided your team-mates are that forgetful :wink: ).

In TNG canon, red is command, teal is sciences/medical, and gold is ops, of which would include security (like Yar and Worf). In the show, tactical itself isn't a department, but rather a bridge position/role, so it's colour would be only be dependent on who is manning the station. For instance, if you have Crusher on tactical, you get rainbow!

"Suck it, Blue!" ~Simmons
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    This was driving me crazy too. I made the same thread in The Academy. So, I just went with two uniforms on hand per Captain... the white top uniform with red across the board, and the grey top with whichever colour division the Captain was. Admirals got black top with red stripe.
  • Options
    pwmiykaelpwmiykael Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    So...just to be clear: No one has EVER seen an NPC captain wear white shoulders with a gold or blue stripe?

I can accept that all captains are supposed to wear red. It just bugs me that they would ignore video game class distinctions for players but not for their "pets." It's like...either make it canon or don't. But at least keep it consistent. lol
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    So...just to be clear: No one has EVER seen an NPC captain wear white shoulders with a gold or blue stripe?

I can accept that all captains are supposed to wear red. It just bugs me that they would ignore video game class distinctions for players but not for their "pets." It's like...either make it canon or don't. But at least keep it consistent. lol
    I think it is consistent - you're a commanding officer, you can wear this special uniform. For most of the people that meet you in your capacity as Captain of a ship it doesn't matter whether you have a tactical, scientific or engineering background. You're the authority.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    First and foremost, I would like to stress that I am WELL aware of the official uniform guide posted by the devs on the Arc forum. I used this to make my crew as canon to the 25th century as possible.

Now...I am also well aware that the aforementioned "official" guide only shows a captain with a red stripe. However, there's no way of knowing if that is meant for ALL captains, or if they are only showing a picture of a tactical captain.

It is entirely possible that all captains wear red like in TNG and beyond. However, I would argue that the only reason the department colors are what they are now is for the sake of gameplay. For a video game's "class system." Were this not the case, all the colors would have been made canon to the television series.

Since they didn't make them canon, and they have each player initially wearing the color of their class, it would not make sense to break this pattern from a pure gameplay stance. Each player would still need their own color to distinguish their abilities to their fellow players.

Put simply, if they were going to make all captains wear red like in the shows, then they may as well have not used the white shoulders at all. Additionally, they would have kept tactical as gold. Not red.

It should also be noted that the term "redshirts" only applied to the original series, when red and gold positions were reversed. Either way, in all Treks (TOS included), tactical, security, engineering, and ops ALL wore the same color. Command and helmsman shared a different color. The only thing that has remained true and constant is science/medical.

So what I'm saying is, if they're going to make all captains wear red - thus nullifying multiplayer class distinction - then they may as well fix the bridge officers as well.

I honestly laughed out loud at this. Your post pretty much embodied everything that was driving my nerd rage at this game. As a sci fi geek with OCD, consistency is important above all else! :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piMRgm9Ga6o

This video, shows a good mix of yellow/red/teal all on the bridge of the enterprise-e, even one of the helm control lt. hawk, was wearing red.

So, position is relevant to some degree but, ultimately canon seemed to be more about field of expertise regarding color significance!

While rank, seemed to only play a vital role color wise, when in either some special field or, above the rank of captain or, in matters of dress protocol calling for otherwise!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Nog had a red stripe too, and I'm assuming he was in the Engineer division.
  • Options
    frankieaqfrankieaq Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    There was a uniform guide on Arc and in the forums. The forum link I got: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1159711/new-oddy-uniform-color-layouts/p1

The Arc link is here: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/6005803

A PDF is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ji0l9nt7q43r2bx/Starfleet_Uniform_Code_2410_web.pdf

This might be the most important for player characters:
    Commanding Officer: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/6005853
    Flag Officer: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/6005873
    Service Uniform for any Rank: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/6005823

a48e545c2f2aa6ee767f7ffdce5ceb631406239062.png
    3f7898fc4c884769a44810b3097fe1e11406239646.png
    8340985682d67154e8ea0c10d0579e781406239912.png

Very nice !!!
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited August 2015
    frankly I threw it all out, got the oddy dress uniform and went back to Wrath of Khan division colors. Once my captain hit Admiral I swapped from branch color to command white.
    nLZKapM.jpg

hard to tell there but there is a difference between tactical and science. I kept the differences from movie era :)

en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Starfleet_uniform_(late_2270s-2350s)
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    TNG on red was used to represent the Command Division. Its possible that having Captains wearing red is a nod to the Command Division instead of the in game Tactical career.

STO Career colors:
    • Red = Tactical
    • Gold = Engineering
    • Blue = Science

TNG era Departmental colors
    • Red = Command
    • Gold = Operations (Security/Engineering)
    • Blue = Science and Medical
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)