test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Seven of Nine

fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
As I remember Seven of Nine was her 'name' when she was part of the Collective. When she joined the Voyager crew her name was Seven. A suggestion from captain Janeway. In DR she is constantly adressed as Seven of Nine. Why?

Also, she is thirty years older. It seems she doesn't age. Probably a side effect of her being a drone once. I have no problem with this 'fantasy', but does she have to wear the same outfit as she did thirty years ago? I mean, she is a woman, doesn't she like to go shopping and get herself a wardrobe?

Comments

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Is she in Starfleet? If so she should be in a uniform.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    I believe the path to 2409 said Seven left Starfleet when they failed to mobilise against the Borg. So she shouldn't be in uniform, but yeah, 30 years of character development, you'd think she would find new clothes. Saying that, maybe she considers that blue outfit to be her uniform and actually does wear proper clothes when off duty?

As for the name..... does anyone from Voyager call her Seven of Nine, or just Seven? Because if it's only people who weren't on Voyager using her full name, I can understand people getting confused and thinking they should use her full name without realising it should be shortened to Seven.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    What I've always wondered is why she doesn't use her given name, unless I've forgotten one, all of the liberated borg from the shows used a name after they were freed, even Hugh who never had a given name. Her real name is Annika Hansen.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    grylak wrote: »
    I believe the path to 2409 said Seven left Starfleet when they failed to mobilise against the Borg. So she shouldn't be in uniform, but yeah, 30 years of character development, you'd think she would find new clothes.

Well 30 years on you'd expect that most of the main players in a massive, pan-galactic war wouldn't have all served together on the same ship (may have been one thing to bring them into the delta quadrant but we are largely passed that now). :)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    alonar wrote: »
    What I've always wondered is why she doesn't use her given name, unless I've forgotten one, all of the liberated borg from the shows used a name after they were freed, even Hugh who never had a given name. Her real name is Annika Hansen.

she says not long after being freed that she has been known as seven of nine for nearly all her life which is why she doesn't drop it.

Actually found the bit
    JANEWAY: One more thing. Your designation, Seven of Nine, it's a little cumbersome. Wouldn't you prefer to be called by your given name, Annika?
    SEVEN: I have been Seven of Nine for as long as I can remember.
    JANEWAY: All right. But maybe we could streamline it a little. How would you feel about Seven?
    SEVEN: Imprecise, but acceptable.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    fovrel wrote: »
    . . . but does she have to wear the same outfit as she did thirty years ago? I mean, she is a woman, doesn't she like to go shopping and get herself a wardrobe?

I think Seven would reply to this with something along the lines of, "Acquiring multitudes of clothing is redundant and unnecessary."

Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    tacofangs wrote: »
    . . . but does she have to wear the same outfit as she did thirty years ago? I mean, she is a woman, doesn't she like to go shopping and get herself a wardrobe?

I think Seven would reply to this with something along the lines of, "Acquiring multitudes of clothing is redundant and unnecessary."

bingo
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer

She pretty specifically says in the show that she is not Annika anymore, and personally identifies as Seven now.

Yes, it's been 30 years, but I think she's made her choice.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    Ow,. still there are people discussing logical things about this game??? unbelievable.. xD.
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    No, not redundant and unnecessary. She is human. Humans see themself as individuals and clothing is a way to express yourself what you are, who your are. It was the doctor that took care of her in her transformation from drone to human and he gave her the outfit. He also had a crush on her, as I remember, well, who not?
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    kittyflofy wrote: »
    Ow,. still there are people discussing logical things about this game??? unbelievable.. xD.

Potaote !! there is that better? :D
  • lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    Yes, realistically a woman wouldn't wear the same outfit for 30 years.
    However, realistically a Ferengi goblin would never be a starship captain. Realism? Pah. This is Star Trek.
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    I think she's just scrappin! Her AND T'pol! Two of my favorite Star Trek characters. Woot! There should be a multi-faction night club where you can see them on the dance floor. Either that or a T6 K'tinga...either one would be real good.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    lizwei wrote: »
    However, realistically a Ferengi goblin would never be a starship captain. Realism? Pah. This is Star Trek.

It has nothing to do with star trek, its about cryptic "standards", actually star trek shows are very coherent within their own universe. That is one of the things that atracts people, it is not just a bunch of shows, everything is related making too difficult to link every single aspect of every show and the movies. Thats what makes star trek so big, not even the star wars franchise can be compared. But cryptic , since a long time ago is leaving all the content to their own imagination, so seeing weird things is a common experience. Since a LONG time ago.
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    No, not redundant and unnecessary. She is human. Humans see themself as individuals and clothing is a way to express yourself what you are, who your are. It was the doctor that took care of her in her transformation from drone to human and he gave her the outfit. He also had a crush on her, as I remember, well, who not?

She may be human, but she is also ex-Borg. She takes a very utilitarian view of the world.​​
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    There are two things here I'd imagine.

I think part of it is the Shinzon/young Picard effect. They made them bald to make sure the stupid audience could identify them as who they are supposed to be. Of course we aren't that stupid that we would have trouble with Picard having hair when he was younger, because we know for a fact he did, as he was clearly balding, not shaved by choice.

Seven while she is boring and utilitarian, was trying to grow, and I find it hard to believe she wouldn't change outfits in all this time. However to be fair, there is the additional point of game assets here, and the fact that there really aren't a lot of other non-uniformesque options she could wear in game.

They still could have given her something else, rather than stick her in the same thing as always, but too many of the characters seem slapped into the story simply to do fan service.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    As I remember Seven of Nine was her 'name' when she was part of the Collective. When she joined the Voyager crew her name was Seven. A suggestion from captain Janeway. In DR she is constantly adressed as Seven of Nine. Why?

Also, she is thirty years older. It seems she doesn't age. Probably a side effect of her being a drone once. I have no problem with this 'fantasy', but does she have to wear the same outfit as she did thirty years ago? I mean, she is a woman, doesn't she like to go shopping and get herself a wardrobe?

Whoa, quite a bit of sexism in there. But that aside, ingame-reasons: Nanobots vs. aging, same wardrobe since its effective and functional -in her PoV. Outgame-reasons: Same as why her actress was cast for Voyager.

artan42 wrote: »
    Is she in Starfleet? If so she should be in a uniform.

Nope, daystrome institute.

I believe the path to 2409 said Seven left Starfleet when they failed to mobilise against the Borg.

Starfleet didnt fail to mobilise against the borg. They stopped the anti-borg program since they had no contact to the borg for a long time and thought they went extinct -or at least very horribly crippled- after Janeway infected them with the endgame-virus and blew some-if not all- of their transwarp-network.

Well, they were surprised when Vega was attacked.

That was heavily explained in her characterization during Voyager. Long story short, she spent all her puberty, much of her childhood and pretty much all of her adult life with the collective until being freed by Voyager (Yepp, not all her adultlife, she was severed from the collective for a short time of her life before Voyager. Ugly story).

I think spartans and generally military people dont so much. And after all, the Borg are pretty much a full-military force.

Now we add racism to the already latent sexism in this thread. Magnificant.

They still could have given her something else, rather than stick her in the same thing as always, but too many of the characters seem slapped into the story simply to do fan service.

A bikini. Some players what like that. And others would very loudly protest. I like protest. It makes the game fun. All those ranting and flamewars. It keeps me entertained.​​
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Starfleet or not, she needs to dress down a bit, Worf's not in Starfleet any more and he's not wearing a skintight catsuit. Ambassador Picard (in Countdown) isn't wearing a skintight catsuit.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited July 2015
    artan42 wrote: »
    Starfleet or not, she needs to dress down a bit, Worf's not in Starfleet any more and he's not wearing a skintight catsuit. Ambassador Picard (in Countdown) isn't wearing a skintight catsuit.

Because they didn't wear skintight catsuits in the show. Seven did.

EDIT: I forgot those horrible TNG Season 1 and 2 pajamas.​​
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    EDIT: I forgot those horrible TNG Season 1 and 2 pajamas.​​

And you just had to go remind the rest of us, didn't you?
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
    ilithyn wrote: »

I didn't post a screencap, did I? :) ​​
    Og12TbC.jpg

I dare you to do better.
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    ilithyn wrote: »

I didn't post a screencap, did I? :) ​​

Please don't
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    woodwhity wrote: »
    I believe the path to 2409 said Seven left Starfleet when they failed to mobilise against the Borg.

Starfleet didnt fail to mobilise against the borg. They stopped the anti-borg program since they had no contact to the borg for a long time and thought they went extinct -or at least very horribly crippled- after Janeway infected them with the endgame-virus and blew some-if not all- of their transwarp-network.

Well, they were surprised when Vega was attacked.

That's it. I knew it was something related to Starfleet not doing something agressive against Borg that made her leave.

Well 30 years on you'd expect that most of the main players in a massive, pan-galactic war wouldn't have all served together on the same ship (may have been one thing to bring them into the delta quadrant but we are largely passed that now). :)

To be fair though, how many Voyager crew are active together in the Iconian war? Paris in command of a strike flight group, which makes sense given his pilot skills, and Seven, which makes sense because they're building a time breaking weapon and that's someone who really should be on such a project. No one else from Voyager has been active in these past few episodes.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Kinda reminds me of the remake of the movie The Fly with Jeff Goldbloom and Geena Davis. The scientist's closet has several sets of the same exact outfit in it. Geena Davis, the reporter, asks him why he has several sets of the same exact outfit. He replies, "That way I don't have to expend any thought on what I'm going to wear."
    klingon-bridge.jpg

edited July 2015

Really. And I suppose it's also racist if I show my contempt for orcs, house elves and gungans too? Please.
    It's especially ironic considering the Ferengi were concieved as racist stereotypes, and the vileness these goblins display simply isn't worthy of a starship captain.
    Towards the end of Voyager Seven was able to experience the full range of emotions after the Doctor made this possible, she was experimenting with the Chakotay hologram and was seen dressed in a rather fetching red dress for their meal together. We learn that the real Chakotay and Seven will get married (End game) and it's reasonable to assume that she would be exploring her sexuality during this time. For a woman that would mean amongst other things trying to look nice, wearing different outfits that not only were comfortable but also enhanced her appearance.

We hear nothing of Chakotay in STO (unless I missed it) I assume Seven is still married to him, as a scientist at the Daystom Institute and after 30 years from the events of Voyager to put her in the same skin tight cat suit as shown in the the episodes is really an insult to the player's intelligence. She should have been shown either in her formal work uniform if they have one or typical informal dress (dress as in costume not a frock) that she may chose to wear at work.

That entire plot development was an insult to the viewer's intelligence. It came out of nowhere and accomplished nothing and seemed to be the result of the writers either rolling dice, or wanting to give Chakotay something to do other than be the captain's doorstop.
    The guys at Cryptic dressed her the same as the show to ensure that we recognised her from the show and that's all, the facial model is not that good and I am sure this a limitation of the engine, compared to the Witcher 3 facial engine STO is in the stone age, and so they had to do as much as possible to ensure she looked as much like the Seven we know and love. Just my two cents.

The dead eyed zombies of Witcher 3 aren't the best comparison, but evenso STO is five years old and Witcher 3 has been out for a couple of months. Apples and oranges. Seen the face models in WoW?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    goodscotch wrote: »
    Kinda reminds me of the remake of the movie The Fly with Jeff Goldbloom and Geena Davis. The scientist's closet has several sets of the same exact outfit in it. Geena Davis, the reporter, asks him why he has several sets of the same exact outfit. He replies, "That way I don't have to expend any thought on what I'm going to wear."
    Actually, that was a reference to a real-life scientist, I forget who though, it might have been Einstein or Nikola Tesla though. Though I have many different outfits, I usually spend an equal amount of time considering what to wear.
    Towards the end of Voyager Seven was able to experience the full range of emotions after the Doctor made this possible, she was experimenting with the Chakotay hologram and was seen dressed in a rather fetching red dress for their meal together. We learn that the real Chakotay and Seven will get married (End game) and it's reasonable to assume that she would be exploring her sexuality during this time. For a woman that would mean amongst other things trying to look nice, wearing different outfits that not only were comfortable but also enhanced her appearance.

We hear nothing of Chakotay in STO (unless I missed it) I assume Seven is still married to him, as a scientist at the Daystom Institute and after 30 years from the events of Voyager to put her in the same skin tight cat suit as shown in the the episodes is really an insult to the player's intelligence. She should have been shown either in her formal work uniform if they have one or typical informal dress (dress as in costume not a frock) that she may chose to wear at work.
    Path to 2409, Chakotay's a spook now. So yeah, I can't visualize him finding time to be with 7.
    The dead eyed zombies of Witcher 3 aren't the best comparison, but evenso STO is five years old and Witcher 3 has been out for a couple of months. Apples and oranges. Seen the face models in WoW?
    You mean the ones that make plastic dolls look lifelike?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    goodscotch wrote: »
    Actually, that was a reference to a real-life scientist, I forget who though, it might have been Einstein or Nikola Tesla though.
    I don't know who the Fly referenced, but I believe Steve Jobs did it like that, too. I suspect a few people may have adopted that approach. (It might come with a certain personality/intelligence type ;) )

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User

Really. And I suppose it's also racist if I show my contempt for orcs, house elves and gungans too? Please.
    It's especially ironic considering the Ferengi were concieved as racist stereotypes, and the vileness these goblins display simply isn't worthy of a starship captain.

Nice way to tar the entire race with the same brush there, Nog's entire character arc in DS9 was him trying to escape the very perceptions of Ferengi that you've just thrown at him, for him to find something worthwhile other than profit. Not to mention that thanks to GRAND NAGUS ROM the entire Ferengi society is undergoing a massive cultural shift away from profit as a whole.

Also racism (or speciesism in this case) is wrong whether it's Fantasic Racism or plain human racism, especially in a Star Trek game.
    [qu
    bluedarky wrote: »

Nice way to tar the entire race with the same brush there, Nog's entire character arc in DS9 was him trying to escape the very perceptions of Ferengi that you've just thrown at him, for him to find something worthwhile other than profit. Not to mention that thanks to GRAND NAGUS ROM the entire Ferengi society is undergoing a massive cultural shift away from profit as a whole.

Also racism (or speciesism in this case) is wrong whether it's Fantasic Racism or plain human racism, especially in a Star Trek game.

Oh please, don't remind me of Rom. Both the character and actor disgust me greatly.
    I also hated Nog's arc. Mainly because he doesn't have one. He's still the same goblin he always was, only they put him in a Starfleet uniform and pretended he projected authority.
    This from the same writers who brought you entire Star Trek episodes centred around abysmally bad Frank Sinatra impersonators.

Racism is a loaded term, and implies unfair judgement on a people due to their allearance or lineage. I judge the behaviour of the Ferengi and nothing more. It's not that they look like goblins, it's that they *act* like them, and I simply don't believe that a role as prestigious as that of a Federation starship captain would be given to characters who are consistently written as inidivuals who'd sell the warp core for a bag full of gold at the first opportunity.
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User

I cringed so hard. Especially at the highlighted part of your post. Not every woman loves to play dress-up, you know... and that comes from someone who hates 7 of 9's outfit; because I know the reasons for it to exist in the show in the first place.

Also, the assumptions as to how a Liberated Borg should be. Try to imagine a person, a child, to be assimilated - something, which'd mark most people for *life*; even-more-so, if that's all they've known, for most of their lives. It ought to stick with them, in one way or another. I personally disliked how they over-simplified it in Voyager; also so forcibly try to mold her into a human, but I guess, it's just a show, so some shorter narrative was needed, to be able to sell it well. Bottom line being - every Liberated Borg would be different; so assuming they'd just shrug it off and accept their real-name (among other things), is a stretch.

[10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider