test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Weapon Power Drain Reduction and Reroute Reserves to Weapons

sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
This might have better gone in the Academy, but this I didn't think this was really a noobie question.

Do effects that reduce weapon power drain (i.e. Attack Pattern Lambda) also reduce engine power drain from weapon use while Reroute Reserves to Weapons is active? I ask because I tend to use those two powers in conjunction and still find my engine power flatlining (and thereby cancelling RR2W) well before RR2W would normally expire.
Post edited by sirmayday on

Comments

• gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I am not sure on lambda but the fleet spire cores will. It reduces the energy cost of each weapon.

If lambda has the same wording then it will too.
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2015
    sirmayday wrote: »
    This might have better gone in the Academy, but this I didn't think this was really a noobie question.

Do effects that reduce weapon power drain (i.e. Attack Pattern Lambda) also reduce engine power drain from weapon use while Reroute Reserves to Weapons is active? I ask because I tend to use those two powers in conjunction and still find my engine power flatlining (and thereby cancelling RR2W) well before RR2W would normally expire.

RRtW causes your weapons to drain from Engine Power. Any power cost reductions you might have will not currently factor in, as they are set up to affect Weapon Power specifically.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    RRtW causes your weapons to drain from Engine Power. Any power cost reductions you might have will not currently factor in, as they are set up to affect Weapon Power specifically.

Does this apply to Plasma-integrated warpcores as well? They specifically state "+10% to base resistance rate of all Power Levels", while the cruiser command just specifies weapon power?
    edited June 2015
    woodwhity wrote: »
    Does this apply to Plasma-integrated warpcores as well? They specifically state "+10% to base resistance rate of all Power Levels", while the cruiser command just specifies weapon power?

Resistance is not the same as Power Cost reduction. The Power Cost of activating a weapon is not affected by Resistance, only by Power Cost Reduction.
    Jeremy Randall
    "Play smart!"
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Resistance is not the same as Power Cost reduction. The Power Cost of activating a weapon is not affected by Resistance, only by Power Cost Reduction.
    so then what does that resistance on the cores actually DO?
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited June 2015

Reduce energy drain from abilities like Tyken's Rift, Energy Siphon, Aceton Assimilators, etc.
    Jeremy Randall
    "Play smart!"
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015

well, so much for thinking those were the best cores
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Reduce energy drain from abilities like Tyken's Rift, Energy Siphon, Aceton Assimilators, etc.

Hohohoooooooooo

All those Epic Spire Cores :D

Wait a minute... I think I hear something... The sound of several thousand voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Thank you Bort. You made my day today :D
    XzRTofz.gif
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Well, I sit corrected. Thanks for the clarification bort!
  • snipey47asnipey47a Member Posts: 485 Media Corps
    edited June 2015
    But the resistance is not what makes the spire core better. It is the 66% increase to EPS.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited June 2015

So, what about Nadion Inversion? It specifally states "resistance", yet it greatly reduces the energydrain from firing energyweapons at the same time it counters drain-abilities.
    edited June 2015
    snipey47a wrote: »
    But the resistance is not what makes the spire core better. It is the 66% increase to EPS.

The Plasma-something Cores that can be crafted have about 100%. No [AMP], AFAIK.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited June 2015

It would be great if things like this were explained in the actual game.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    It would be great if things like this were explained in the actual game.

To be fair in this instance, "Resistance" pretty forward means, well "resistance", not reduced power cost. You typically resist something done to you, not to yourself.

Otherwise, though, I agree: This game seriously lacks comprehensible documentation. Aside from those people really crunching the numbers I guess most players aren't aware of even basic things like "Tac consoles boost base damage" - nobody even knows what "base damage" is supposed to be since the game doesn't mention that term, ever.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »
    To be fair in this instance, "Resistance" pretty forward means, well "resistance", not reduced power cost. You typically resist something done to you, not to yourself.

Nadion Inversion resists drain both from within and from without. To me, "or from firing multiple weapons" (tooltip), aka less drain, equals less effective power cost.

Bort only managed to confuse me now. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited June 2015

It's not clear at all. The game routinely refers to weapon power cost as a "drain" (to the point where I at least am not even aware of any instance in which the words "power cost" are ever mentioned ingame) and reduced power cost as "power drain resistance." There is no indication that these identical terms actually refer to two completely different systems, much less which one any particular instance affects.
  • floppytechiefloppytechie Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Hohohoooooooooo

All those Epic Spire Cores :D

Wait a minute... I think I hear something... The sound of several thousand voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Thank you Bort. You made my day today :D
    well, so much for thinking those were the best cores

OMG,this just made my day!!:D

All those people telling me my crafted epic core was worthless and that i should use epic spire cores......man,i feel for them:D
    Proud owner of every ship with hangers ingame
    Flagship - N.C.C.-99635-A U.S.S. Asterion

I support playable Typhoon class!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    It's not clear at all. The game routinely refers to weapon power cost as a "drain" (to the point where I at least am not even aware of any instance in which the words "power cost" are ever mentioned ingame) and reduced power cost as "power drain resistance." There is no indication that these identical terms actually refer to two completely different systems, much less which one any particular instance affects.

Now I'm confused as well :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    woodwhity wrote: »
    So, what about Nadion Inversion? It specifally states "resistance", yet it greatly reduces the energydrain from firing energyweapons at the same time it counters drain-abilities.

From
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Ability:_Nadion_Inversion

Game Description Nadion Inversion reduces any power drain to your ship's power system, including power drain from enemy attacks, or from firing multiple weapons.

There you go, is specifically states weapons power costs are resisted too, that's why.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
    edited June 2015

Otherwise, though, I agree: This game seriously lacks comprehensible documentation. Aside from those people really crunching the numbers I guess most players aren't aware of even basic things like "Tac consoles boost base damage" - nobody even knows what "base damage" is supposed to be since the game doesn't mention that term, ever.

This game's descriptions of abilities and such are vague in general. Case in point:

How many players in STO do you think can tell the difference between increases/bonuses for damage from reading the tooltips, ingame descriptors alone? The difference of increases as applied by TAC Consoles, AMP Core Mods, CC weapon set 2 piece bonus, Nukara Set 2 piece, Jem'Hadar Space Set 2 piece, etc.? Which provides a stronger increase to damage? +15% or +2%? ;)
    XzRTofz.gif
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    This game's descriptions of abilities and such are vague in general. Case in point:

How many players in STO do you think can tell the difference between increases/bonuses for damage from reading the tooltips, ingame descriptors alone? The difference of increases as applied by TAC Consoles, AMP Core Mods, CC weapon set 2 piece bonus, Nukara Set 2 piece, Jem'Hadar Space Set 2 piece, etc.? Which provides a stronger increase to damage? +15% or +2%? ;)

Agree 100%.

I've been playing this game for >5years and I still can't tell the difference between damage increasing stuff. I know there are things like base damage, and that some bonuses increase in category 1 or category 2, and one category is additive or the other multiplies and then there may be a 3rd or 4th category but only when the player on the dealer's right has seven cards and then only on Tuesdays when you have a half-fizzbin.

I've seen a half-dozen sites with various eldritch formulae, the likes of which would drive a a Lovecraftian mad beyond words...

And even knowing about this stuff, it's very confusing... I stumble along and tweak my builds mostly through trial-and-error (look at tool tip, add this console, look at tool tip, did number go up or down? Now compare to adding THAT console).

I even used to craft my own spreadsheets about ship's power... but it all gets tiresome...

Anyway, none of it is clear to a player in-game...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015

Answers a question people were clamoring to be answered when the item first came out.

In the future, you might want to add way way more clear descriptions on things before you put them out.