test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Armor Penetration

iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
I kind of ignored this mechanic for a while, since I was waiting for some kind of definitive and comprehensive explanation of how it worked in practicality rather than on paper.

I've still not found anything that really 'sells' Armor Penetration on me. I have the trait from getting to 15 in Ground Gear R&D, and the trait from the Delta Alliance reputation. So, best case scenario I have 15% Armor Penetration (if that's how the math works).

So, just how practical is Armor Penetration in the game? Outside of PvP where people obviously have damage resistance, what about the NPCs of the game?

Does every NPC have some kind of passive damage resist that just isn't visible to players? Do they only have Damage Resistance if they have a visible buff that implies they are Resisting Damage? Do they only have Damage Resistance in Advanced/Elite missions? Is it any NPC? Just Lieutenants and Bosses? Just Bosses? Do particular enemy factions have passive Damage Resistance, if so is it for particular damage types? If an enemy NPC has 0 Damage Resistance, would Armor Penetration increase your damage if the enemy has negative damage resistance from the use of debuffs?

TL;DR, Do I want Armor Penetration, if so, why do I want it?
ExtxpTp.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    If hull is at 100% with 0 resistance.
    +5% to hull damage With weapons mod 5% pen

At least that's how Interpret it.
    So,
    Lets say a ship has 0 shields for this example, that said ship has 40% energy damage res.
    You fire off a volley;

Max volley damage -40% for resistance =
    Max Volley dmg x .6 = damage to hull

(Damage to hull + (5% pen) )= final damage to hull.

Lol, I have no idea if this is how it actually works. Just something I had been thinking of myself.
    I have no idea if the pen applies directly to hull, or to the resistances before hitting the hull.

But I can say it certainly has improved my dps outputs.
    Since equipping subwarp sheath (+pen based on aux levels) , I've noticed a marked improvement of at least 5-10% overall.
    Then again this all ancedotal.

Where's virus when you need him. I'm sure he knows.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2015
    Armor Penetration behaves exactly like Damage Resistance Rating Reductions (Sensor Scan, e.g.). The reason for the terminology difference really just comes down to brevity. Writing out "Reduces target's Damage Resistance Rating by XX for things that just this item/power does" is way less simple.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • generator88generator88 Member Posts: 698 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Bort, does that mean Armor Penetration effects impact targets that have no DRR to speak of?

Thanks,
    Generator
    =================

I'm sure your DPS is great, but as Kahless said, "a petaQ with high system mastery is still a petaQ." (Well, he should have said it...!)
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Armor Penetration behaves exactly like Damage Resistance Rating Reductions (Sensor Scan, e.g.). The reason for the terminology difference really just comes down to brevity. Writing out "Reduces target's Damage Resistance Rating by XX for things that just this item/power does" is way less simple.

Ahh nice thanks for the explaination Bort.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited June 2015

So a 15% Armor Penetration buff would be the same thing as hitting an enemy as if it had a -15% Damage Resistance Debuff?

You may have sold me on this mechanic, Mr. Randall.

Thank you.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    So a 15% Armor Penetration buff would be the same thing as hitting an enemy as if it had a -15% Damage Resistance Debuff?

Yes.

And to answer the other poster: Yes, these values can go negative.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yes.

And to answer the other poster: Yes, these values can go negative.

Its no damn wonder then why the Elite go all arm pen. Recon I got a ship to refit, from abilitys to weapons with (pen). Watch out ppl, here I come, pew pew.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It's all about the Penetration.

... What the hell were you guys thinking about?
    XzRTofz.gif
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It's all about the Penetration.

... What the hell were you guys thinking about?

How they bleed?

The enemies I mean. What did you think?