test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Giving names to vanity pets

gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User
With the coming introduction of the Risian Caracal, I wonder whether Cryptic might consider allowing us to assign names to vanity/combat pets, much like we can currently do with Boffs?

As you will be aware - when you take your boffs with you to a ground map or adventure zone, other players can see them, including the names you give them.

Now that Cryptic has introduced cat/space dog pets, I am sure many players would like the ability to give them a name that they and other players can see.
yjkZSeM.gif
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    That would probably require more backend than the independent devices they are now.

Which means... we could have our own kennel? Pet inventory, please!
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    darkjeff wrote: »
    That would probably require more backend than the independent devices they are now.

Which means... we could have our own kennel? Pet inventory, please!

Yes! Separate inventory for pets please!!!!
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Pet inventory would certainly be nice for collecting.

But first we need a pet equip slot that auto-summons the pet whenever you're out of combat. A custom pet name could be attached to the slot, too. Should be easier than attaching one to the items themselves.
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    This would amuse me greatly. I don't want a separate inventory for pets, unless my boffs get one, too, since I give combat horta to the 2 main boffs on each of my characters.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    Pet inventory would certainly be nice for collecting.

But first we need a pet equip slot that auto-summons the pet whenever you're out of combat. A custom pet name could be attached to the slot, too. Should be easier than attaching one to the items themselves.

I have been asking for that for ages, well two actually, one for a ground pet and also for a pet slot for space pets.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• onyxheart1onyxheart1 Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    i'd kind of like to name my weapon too >.>

i've had and used my tritanium rending bat'leth since the anniversary...i've been upgrading it so i can take it with me into all the content and let it meet any new enemy i meet

it's nearing epic quality and i want to give it a name to reflect my dedication to keeping it and using it now and in the future (even if no one but me would see the name unless i linked it to someone x3)

okay tangent over, i agree wholeheartedly, pets need to be able to be named AND we need separate pet storage
    KDF for Life! <3 Romulan at Heart <3 Fed cause they made me ~ :P
    signature-omega.png
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    I'd love to be able to name my pets...

I'm thinking of an Epohh named 'Bitey'...:P
  • nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    This would be delightful.
  • drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'd like to be able to name them too.

But more than that, I'd like to have them not require room in my inventory. I had to burn most of my birds due to lack of room.

I doubt they will do the first because it takes time and effort. And they won't do the latter because they sell inventory space.

So my desires are in vain.
  • tolmariustolmarius Member Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    orion0029 wrote: »
    I'd love to be able to name my pets...

I'm thinking of an Eophh named 'Bitey'...:P

I already named my cat Kaiser Friedrich Barbarossa. He wears a pickelhaube and a monocle.

And I am hoping for a dog that is a black and white Pembroke Welsh Corgi, so I can name it Drei
    3T6cHqb.png
  • rexyfrexyf Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    My pet Nanov is called Centurion Snuggles. He is my bestest squishiest friend evar.
    edited June 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I have a pet Nanov. I shall call him squishy and he shall be mine, and he shall be my squishy.

Hahaha, epic bro!

(Where's that from, anyway? Sounds familiar, but I can't place it...)
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    giving a fictional cat, targ or a rabit/cat a fictional name like "pincer whiskers", "fat cat", "wabbit", "fluffykins"or even "moving carpet". whatever though, it would be just a frivious waste of resources and time for something that has no purpose to it.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yes please.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    giving a fictional cat, targ or a rabit/cat a fictional name like "pincer whiskers", "fat cat", "wabbit", "fluffykins"or even "moving carpet". whatever though, it would be just a frivious waste of resources and time for something that has no purpose to it.

The same could be said of the pets themselves; yet we have them anyway.

I would also like to be able to name them.
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Ships are the real vanity "pets", and you already get to name them. That said, *if* I had an epohh, I would name it Hasenpfeffer.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    capnmanx wrote: »
    The same could be said of the pets themselves; yet we have them anyway.

I would also like to be able to name them.

i dont name my cats, because they dont understand what i am saying, but they get the idea if you are asking them to follow,which they do because they realize they are about to be fed. my sister gave my cats names but i dont use them or any of them, although i have on occasion called them purring carpets and during the nights when they sleep around my head, motorbikes. in the end i dont give them names. same with my dog and the parrot.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    edited June 2015
    It wouldn't be difficult to allow players to name their pets, a simple ~10 character string attached to the 'item' is all that's really needed, I don't think it would take much effort or server space to implement...

C'mon Cryptic, isn't it time we are able to name our cat "Spot"? :)
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    i dont name my cats, because they dont understand what i am saying, but they get the idea if you are asking them to follow,which they do because they realize they are about to be fed. my sister gave my cats names but i dont use them or any of them, although i have on occasion called them purring carpets and during the nights when they sleep around my head, motorbikes. in the end i dont give them names. same with my dog and the parrot.

Interesting.

You realize that isn't typical of pet owners though, right?
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I hope that guy's character was named Willard.

It reminds me of the Order of Cabbage in rune.scape. they just collect cabbages from one of the fields in game and store them in their banks. You can only hold like 32 in inventory at a time, but an infinite (in theory) number in one bank slot because they stack in the bank. Cabbages have no value in game. They just do this to do it.

And they rp while doing it. Despite their group being acronymed ooc (out of character or "not rping" for those who don't know rp conventions). Sometimes there just like a line of people in green robes chanting "Kah bah gee! Kah bah gee! Kah bah gee!" Over and over.

Some of them, literally have multiple millions of cabbages in their banks. Deposited 32 per trip. At about three minutes per trip.

They also have an entire holy book online for the order.

They are awesome and scary people. They are one of the very few things I miss about that game. The others being making mimes cry and stealing their clothes in an emote contest and watching random events kill botters.
  • drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    beameddown wrote: »
    anyways, cant see why we are in 2015 and playing an MMO that has vanity pets that they even want real WORLD money for and cant even name the ****ing things... never thought about it before ..hope they change it for you op:)

One of the sad things about today's state of the art in MMOs is that they don't have even a good percentage of the features the first ones on the market did.

They have better graphics. But feature for feature they sort of suck.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I think some players would rather have an extra bank tab for non-combat pets. I know at least one person who has probably collected every epohh and bird.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I fully support the call to allow players to give names to pets.
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,450 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I support this idea. Weapons, too. I think it'd be fun if the weapon name showed up in the combat log. "Bergins Little Friend deals XXXXXX kinetic damage...."

Umm... Wow...

You do realize they don't recognize their names simply because you don't use them, right?

The cats might not give enough of a #$!@ to respond anyways, but they do are smart enough to know at least that. Your dog, as long as you are its Alpha, can respond appropriately to complex ideas. I (literally) just told mine "Gus, I appreciate you keeping my spot warm, but..." He moved.

To think otherwise requires a certain level of either close-mindedness or unobservantness.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    If I ever get a proper dog pet, I plan to call him Menchi the fourth

Currently my Risian bird is Menchi the third

My pet eppoh is Menchi the second and my pet tribble is Menchi the first... unfortunately, Menchi I and II were delicious, err, caught in the plasma ejection from my flamethrower testing...

(kudos points to those who get the reference)