test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Suggestion for potential solution to Random [Mod]'s from R&D System

orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
edited August 2015 in Duty Officer System and R&D
I think we can all agree that the current system of semi-random [Mod]'s from the R&D system is not optimal for players and only proves to be a resource-sink.

Put simply if an Item doesn't have [CrtD]xY* then it's vendor trash and you have to try again.

*Or whatever set of [Mod]'s you want on an item.

I would like to suggest implementing a crafting assignment/school which you can 're-roll' the [Mod]'s on an item.

Re-Rolling an item would change all the [Mod]'s based on the R&D rules, effectively resetting the item to a new set of random [Mod]'s.

If it's a school at higher levels someone could select one, two, or more [Mod]'s to keep when re-rolling.

There could even be a cost to re-rolling the [Mod]'s on an item, if desired to keep the economy in check, or to add another resrouce-sink, or whatever.

Being able to re-roll the [Mod]'s on an item would encourage the crafting of high end gear to start with, instead of the currently utilized system of crafting a metric TRIBBLE-ton of MK II's, upgrading the good ones and vendoring the rejects...

Since asking the Devs to completely rework the R&D system would likely be ignored as 'asking too much' I thought this could prove a feasable request which would ease the RNG madness around crafting..

Thoughts?
(Let's be civil about this, yes?)

Edit 2 (8-22-15):
It has been suggested by skollulfr:
skollulfr wrote: »
using a similar system to the kit frames, assign slots to weapons into which enhancment modules are installed.
eg take a default beam array mk10
this beam array would only have a slot for a <damage type> module, this could be ap, phaser, vaadwaur, domion etc etc
and would need placed into the current upgrade system to unlock further enhancment module slots.
these modules could be things like amplitude capacitors for crtd, enhansed sponsens for acc, etc which could be installed to these slots, replacing the current system of mods.

weapons created from the crafting system could have a random selection of these modules the same way new ships have default weapons.

analogues to this system could then be applied to the other items, be that, for example, bio-support module for reghp ground armour, or rep system xyz modules for applicable items.

the limiting factor to this a thought about was, to make the ships engineer the contact point for changing the modules.

to do this, you would take the item to your ships engineering open a boff assignment called replace module <module position>, opening a dialogue to add the new module, with varying costs of dil and materials for the job.

Honestly, I'd much prefer this method to item customization over re-rolling, which is why I've quoted it above my suggestion.

Using an "Item Frame" as a base and having specific/universal module slots for [Mod]s would make for a wide variety of customization options, for example:

A shield:
Covariant Shield Array MK XII [Unique Shield Module] [Shield Module] [Shield Module]
The [Unique Shield Module] slot would handle modules such as [Aegis] or [M.A.C.O.] from reputation/set shields, or [Adapt] from fleet shields or a normal module should you not have a unique one. Set bonuses would likely need to be moved from the equipment to the unique module so the set bonuses can be moved with the module.

The [Shield Module] slot would handle modules such as [Cap] or [Reg]

A weapon could look like:
Beam Array MK XII [Energy Type] [Unique Beam Module] [Space Weapon Module] [Space Weapon Module]
The [Energy Type] module would not count toward the module slots gained on rarity and would just modify the base energy type, Antiproton, Phaser, Phased Tetryon, etc...
The [Unique Beam Module] slot would handle specific modules like [Over], [Pen], [sHeal] or [Chance] (certain modules may have to be fused like the [sheal] and [Chance] modules since those [Mod]s are from special weapons. (This slot would also accept a [Space Weapon Module] should no unique module be available.
The [Space Weapon Module] slot would handle any space weapon module such as [CrtD] or [Dmg].

Since the kit system takes a fair amount of UI space it would be likely that modifying a piece of equipment should only be able to be done at a crafting station or workbench, probably at a social hub, fleet starbase, or even ship interior.

The only (current) limiting factor here is that the kit system is incompatible with the upgrade system, so that will have to be addressed and fixed before expanding the kit system to handle other forms of equipment. Still, worth looking into...

8-23-15: It has been suggested that special weapon mods could be removable and not cause any problems since the special properties would transfer with the module, so having a fused module might not be necessary at all.

Edit 1 (7-19-15):

Thought of a method to implement this:

Equipment Modification R&D School
Research Equipment Modification - 1 Duranium

Basic Modification Kit (0 checkmarks*) - 1 Duranium, 500 ec (5 - 25 dilithium to apply)
Improved Modification Kit (1 checkmark*) - 1 Duranium, 1 Verteron Particle, 1000 ec (10 -50 dilithiuim to apply)
Superior Modification Kit (2 checkmarks*) - 1 Duranium, 1 Verteron Particle, 1 Thoron Particle, 2000ec (20 - 100 dilithium to apply)
Enhanced Modification Kit (3 checkmarks*) - 1 Duranium, 1 Verteron Particle, 1 Thoron Particle, 1 Beta-Tachyon particle, 5000 ec (50 - 250 dilithium to apply)

*will get to checkmarks in a minute
I purposefully suggested a low cost because:
#1. We're not actually improving the rarity or MK grade of the item.
#2. Due to the random nature of re-rolling it is entirely possible to have to re-roll 5, 10, 20 or more times just to get the desired [Mod]'s so we don't want to make it prohibitive to accomplish.
#3. I also suggested the use of Duranium, Verterons, and Thorons mainly because these materials aren't used as often as others like Tritanium, Hydrazine, or Plekton (Please don't use those, it would make re-rolling prohibitively expensive! :()

Ok, now to the hard part.

The Upgrade UI, 2 tabs:
Upgrade - No change.
Modify - See below.

Modify Equipment Tab:
Shares three project slots with Upgrade.
Same basic layout.
Slot an Item, a modification Kit and select checkboxes, below.
(Now for the checkboxes I've been eluding to)
Instead of the upgrade progress bar, display 4 checkboxes with labels to indicate the current Item's re-rollable [Mod]'s (Devs I'm sorry I think this'll be the hardest part...)

With higher quality modification kits, allow one or more checkboxes to be ticked, preserving the selected [Mod]'s when re-rolled.

Then at the bottom, the same 'Apply Upgrade' button. (Properly renamed of course)
The time to modify** the equipment could be dependant on the MK grade of the item, and to help monetize the system a 'Finish Now' button could be implemented. (I'm not a fan of such buttons, but it would be a way for Cryptic to help pay for the system.)

**Also, the time to modify should be significantly less than the time to upgrade, simply because any given item could require many re-rolls to get the desired [Mod]'s and it would be quite rude to make someone wait hours just for a re-roll... lol

Edit: Removed section about time to modify, since upgrading is instant now, modifying the [Mod]s should be too, yes?
Post edited by orion0029 on

Comments

• Options
    tostrekkie7tostrekkie7 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Orion, you, and a majority of the player base (me included) agree that the R&D system in it's current state is first and foremost a resource-sink. Why else would you have a crafting system with absolutely no control over [mods].

STO is the only MMO I've ever played. Enlighten me guys how do the crafting systems in other MMOs compare to STO?

I'd support your suggestion with one addition of my own. If Cryptic were to offer a Re-roll option, it better be at a (large) discounted price from the original cost of crafting an item.

Remember, this is Cryptic we're talking about, leave it them them to launch your idea, then charge you the same cost to re-roll as crafting an item in the first place would cost.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Orion, you, and a majority of the player base (me included) agree that the R&D system in it's current state is first and foremost a resource-sink. Why else would you have a crafting system with absolutely no control over [mods].

STO is the only MMO I've ever played. Enlighten me guys how do the crafting systems in other MMOs compare to STO?

I'd support your suggestion with one addition of my own. If Cryptic were to offer a Re-roll option, it better be at a (large) discounted price from the original cost of crafting an item.

Remember, this is Cryptic we're talking about, leave it them them to launch your idea, then charge you the same cost to re-roll as crafting an item in the first place would cost.
    Well, crafting in Diablo 2 gave you TRIBBLE so often that most of what you got was vendor trash. It even had a glitch where it was possible for items to have a level requirement higher than the max character level.

And by "vendor trash" I don't mean sub-optimal gear such as getting [Acc]x2[CritD] instead of [CritD]x3..... I mean stuff that is almost unusable. For example, an Item with mostly low level mods(around 10-15), and one mid level(45), but bad mod that made it unusable for low level characters.

And no, there was no item reroll in D2. Crafting recipes did have some guarantees though. But those were the same sort of guarantees that you get in STO. If you craft an AP beam array, you're guaranteed to get an AP beam array. If you craft Blood gloves you're guaranteed to get Blood gloves. Whether you get the mods you want is irrelevant to the game.

In D2, the game used a simple formula to calculate the maximum possible affix(mod) level. Each mod had it's own level requirement, and if the maximum affix level was below that you wouldn't get that mod. Also.... each mod below the affix level was equally likely. It was common to have the game mix good level mods with weak low level ones.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Diablo 3 improves upon that slightly, in that if you craft a sword on your barbarian, you won't get a sword with +Intelligence on it, conversely if you craft a sword on your wizard you won't get +Strength on it, most of the time. The 'mods' are still somewhat random though.

Since Reaper of Souls, D3 does offer a limited re-roll feature. You can choose ONE 'mod' on an item and re-roll it for a cost of gold and some materials, but once you choose to re-roll a 'mod' that is the only 'mod' you can re-roll in the future, and the cost to re-roll does increase each time.

-- Back on topic --

Yes I do agree the cost to re-roll an item should be significantly less than the total cost of the item, considering it may take several re-roll attempts to get 'optimal' [Mod]'s on an item, I'd suggest between 10% - 20% of the total production cost of the item.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Honestly for STO I think it'd get implemented as a special upgrade pack. slot the item, apply the special pack, then it changes a mod.

Needless to say the packs won't be free, or cheap.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Had an idea last night on how to implement suggested method, edited original post.
  • Options
    firekeeperhufirekeeperhu Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited June 2015

the one i play most often is firefall, and its craft system is quite good actually. there weapons and abilites don't have multiple suffixes, only one prefix. you can either pray to RNGesus for the right prefix, or you can manufacture individual prefix-modules and use them on crafting to get exactly what you want. this way you can even choose mods that aren't available when you create an item with random prefix.

this could work here as well, with a bit rework. imagine you can manufacture mods (CrtD, Acc, Pen, whatever), and you can slot those to the item you want to craft. of course this would need a change the current manufacture system where you aren't exactly sure what quality your item will be. the same could be applied to upgrade, when your item hits another rarity, it would get a free suffix slot where you can add the mod you want.
    <3 Defiant <3

RnD and upgrade needs less RNG. Less lottery. Something has to change.
  • Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The random mod system is pure TRIBBLE. I just ruined a perfectly good Assimilated Deflector, and paid for the privilege to do so.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    crusty8mac wrote: »
    The random mod system is pure TRIBBLE. I just ruined a perfectly good Assimilated Deflector, and paid for the privilege to do so.

Please read my suggestion carefully, you will notice that it has the potential for un-ruining your deflector...

I agree that random [Mod]'s are somewhat annoying (just ruined a MK XII Phaser beam a moment ago with a [CrtH] [Mod] :mad:).

Asking, or demanding Cryptic to completey rewrite their R&D system won't get us (players) anywhere, which is why I suggested a system which shouldn't (or at least I assume shouldn't) require any major rewriting of R&D to implement.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Uh, also... I'm pretty sure Assimilated Deflectors don't get random mods...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited June 2015

AFAIK all rep gears get specific mods when they hit UR. the same goes to mission reward unique items and lobi store items.
    <3 Defiant <3

• Options
    edited June 2015
    -- Start Rant --
    I'm begining to think no one cares about my idea to even comment on it, nearly every post made here speaks of other games' crafting systems... :(
    -- End Rant --

Had an alternate idea for dealing with random [Mod]'s on items:

Have the [Mod]'s on items represented by modules like kits.

Place a workbench on ESD, Qo'Nos, Fleet Starbase, anywhere really.

Go to a workbench, pick an item to modify and swap out one module representing a [Mod] for another.

For example the Phaser I upgraded last night: Phaser Beam Array Mk XII [acc] [CrtD]x2 [Over]
    Didn't want the [acc] so I have to sell it now and try again... or do I?

I could get a [CrtD] module* and go to a workbench.
    Select the phaser array, and swap out the [acc] module for the [CrtD] module, now I have an [acc] module in my inventory and a Phaser Beam Array Mk XII [Crtd]x3 [Over]

Qapla'! Yes?

*Modules could potentially be obtained from vendors, loot drops, removing from other weapons, or even crafting them by themselves.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    It seems like it's at least similar to something they could do.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    dave18193dave18193 Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    orion0029 wrote: »
    -- Start Rant --
    I'm begining to think no one cares about my idea to even comment on it, nearly every post made here speaks of other games' crafting systems... :(
    -- End Rant --

Had an alternate idea for dealing with random [Mod]'s on items:

Have the [Mod]'s on items represented by modules like kits.

Place a workbench on ESD, Qo'Nos, Fleet Starbase, anywhere really.

Go to a workbench, pick an item to modify and swap out one module representing a [Mod] for another.

For example the Phaser I upgraded last night: Phaser Beam Array Mk XII [acc] [CrtD]x2 [Over]
    Didn't want the [acc] so I have to sell it now and try again... or do I?

I could get a [CrtD] module* and go to a workbench.
    Select the phaser array, and swap out the [acc] module for the [CrtD] module, now I have an [acc] module in my inventory and a Phaser Beam Array Mk XII [Crtd]x3 [Over]

Qapla'! Yes?

*Modules could potentially be obtained from vendors, loot drops, removing from other weapons, or even crafting them by themselves.

This is an awesome idea. Please have some cake on me.

Random mods have to go. Hate them so much. Same for random chance to level up rarity IMO.
    Got a cat? Have 10 minutes to help someone make the best degree dissertation of all time?

Then please fill out my dissertation survey on feline attachment, it'd be a massive help (-:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/87XKSGH
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    dave18193 wrote: »
    This is an awesome idea. Please have some cake on me.

Random mods have to go. Hate them so much. Same for random chance to level up rarity IMO.

Hey, thanks!

What kind of cake, and when do I get it? :P
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Well, it got a mod - [Threat]. Is that the only mod it gets?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    probably. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    orion0029 wrote: »
    Please read my suggestion carefully, you will notice that it has the potential for un-ruining your deflector...

I agree that random [Mod]'s are somewhat annoying (just ruined a MK XII Phaser beam a moment ago with a [CrtH] [Mod] :mad:).

I'm agreeing with you.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

yes. and every other rep gear have locked UR mod, plus some lobi and mission items.
    list here: link

as to being off topic: i don't think its good idea to change the mods after the item is created. i guess a function like this, implemented by cryptic would be chaotic... i suggest mod selection should only occur when manufacturing and at the event of rarity jump. of course it would need the option in RnD to choose the desired rarity of the item and then the manufacturing process would need to stick to it - no more of this x% chance to get rare and y% chance to get very rare BS.
    ets say you can craft the mods themselves - CritD, Acc, even Pen, Run, etc. then, when you craft something, it will have the appropriate number of mod slots, where you can insert your dream mods. of course mods like Pen and Run should only go to the last spot, at the compatible items. it wouldn't be mandatory, you could choose to ignore this part, but then, it's RNG as it is now. the same applies to upgrade: rarity jump, option to select the new mod, if you don't want to - RNG. all problems solved.
    <3 Defiant <3

• Options
    edited June 2015
    yes. and every other rep gear have locked UR mod, plus some lobi and mission items.

as to being off topic: i don't think its good idea to change the mods after the item is created. i guess a function like this, implemented by cryptic would be chaotic... i suggest mod selection should only occur when manufacturing and at the event of rarity jump. of course it would need the option in RnD to choose the desired rarity of the item and then the manufacturing process would need to stick to it - no more of this x% chance to get rare and y% chance to get very rare BS.
    ets say you can craft the mods themselves - CritD, Acc, even Pen, Run, etc. then, when you craft something, it will have the appropriate number of mod slots, where you can insert your dream mods. of course mods like Pen and Run should only go to the last spot, at the compatible items. it wouldn't be mandatory, you could choose to ignore this part, but then, it's RNG as it is now. the same applies to upgrade: rarity jump, option to select the new mod, if you don't want to - RNG. all problems solved.
    the upgrade suggestion I alluded to earlier would be something like -[acc]+[dmg] or whatever. There's a lot of possible mod combinations that could be done there.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    firekeeperhu, in concept I agree with you, [Mod]'s should be chosen during crafting, however, Cryptic has gone through a fair bit of effort to make the R&D system the way it is. Asking them to completely overhaul such a new system, that for all intents an purposes, works as intended, would be taken as an unreasonable request by the players.

Which is why I've suggested several methods to address the random [Mod]'s without overhauling R&D. I realize that my first suggestion isn't quite perfect for the players, but it does benefit Cryptic some (with the crafting of kits, and still random re-rolling), which would make the suggestion more attractive for Cryptic to actually implement.

My second suggestion was, in all honesty, a passing thought. It would allow a great deal of customization options for player equipment, and also wouldn't require any rewriting of R&D, but would take some tedious effort to make all those [Mod] modules...

I am by no means trying to suggest something that would benefit Cryptic over the players, or even players over Cryptic. I know that STO is in effect a business, asking the Devs to spend manhours to make a system that will earn Cryptic no money will likely fall on deaf ears.

So to get anything done, it has to benefit Cryptic (nearly) as much as it benefits the players. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Thanks for the link!
  • Options
    So with the upcoming 'Research' fleet holding I'm wondering if I may have been premature in suggesting a solution for random R&D [Mod]s.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if we get some influence over [Mod]s or if we just get new stuff to craft using the current system...
  • Options
    colonelsanderzcolonelsanderz Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    @orion0029, crusty8mac, firekeeperhu

All of your ideas are good, however they still cater to one of the biggest problem with mods. The mods should be rebalanced so one or two mods aren't infinitely better than all the rest of them. CrtD, Pen, and CrtH are kings in PvE. As I don't PvP much, one would think that Acc is one of the most desirable. All they really have to do is change how Acc overflow is calculated when converting over to CrtH past 100% accuracy.... Say 1% CrtH per Acc mod over 100%. They should probably make the Dmg mod a post damage calculation modifier and tweak its % gain. Changed in such a way, it could possibly rival CrtD in popularity, and make a [Dmg]x4 mod more useful for more damage being done over time. This would make getting an [Acc] [CrtD] [CrtH] [Dmg] UR beam array not such a bad thing... There will always be min/maxers who want the craziest most expensive gear upgraded, but at least if the mods were balanced... Your average Joe Schmo looking to get competitive in either PvP and PvE won't have such a hard time doing so, nor be as expensive in both time and money as it is currently.
    Post edited by colonelsanderz on
    ?
  • Options
    I agree that some mods are in need of balancing, *cough* [Acc] *cough* but even for the average player having at least a small influence over [Mod]s would be helpful.

I usually don't go for the crazy [CrtD]x4 weapons that many min/maxers go for these days, I like my [CrtD]x2 [Over] weapons, I just want to keep the [Mod]s uniform across my ship's weapons I don't want a [CrtD]x2 [CrtH] [Over] with an [Acc] [CrtD]x2 [Over] and a few [CrtD]x2 [Dmg] [Over] weapons gumming up my ship build.

For this reason I specifically haven't upgraded the quality of my weapons, I'm using MK XIV VR weapons right now, so I don't end up with a 'frankenstein' set of [Mod]s.

I was hoping that the R&D fleet holding would have had some way of helping this random [Mod] situation, but it seems that isn't the case...

Perhaps the Devs can implement one of the suggested methods of modifying weapons post-creation, or at least get some inspiration for a system of their own creation from the above suggestions. (Since they are likely unwilling to rewrite the back-end of the current R&D system...)
  • Options
    Argh! Just upgraded a Plasmatic biomatter beam array to MK XIV and it got a useless [Acc] mod! :angry:

I have 6 others that are [CrtD]x2 [CrtH] and now 1 with [Acc] [CrtD]x2 [CrtH], and I purposefully didn't use accelerators or experimental kits to upgrade it.

Four percent (4%) chance to upgrade, I believe it had, that means 96% chance NOT to get a random [Mod]. I thought I'd be fine. Silly me.

Now I'm gonna have to buy another beam array, more upgrade kits, gather more dilithium (upgrading a lockbox weapon to MK XIV is horribly expensive by the way), and try this again...

This is all the more reason to have some kind of Re-roll feature for gear, or some kind of method of influencing [Mod]s on weapons.
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited July 2015

During the Crafting revamp they mentioned reviewing ESO's system, which I really with they'd used more of. The gear there works a tad differently, having specific level req rather than a separate Mk, and quality increases the base stats of an item; the equivalent to a [Mod] is the item's enhancement, while the enchantment would be an analogue to the damage-type/proc here. Anyway...
    • You can deconstruct items for materials and crafting XP, or use them to Research their enhancements so that you can then add a known enhancement to items you craft yourself.
    • When making an item, you specify the level/Mk and enhancement/[Mod], and can improve rarity/base stats with a guaranteed chance of success simply by using more materials (as in 100% chance in a single roll rather than having to apply a metric ton of Upgrades and roll incessantly).
    • Even more interesting is the ability to craft items with set bonuses based on special crafting locations, sort of like tying the Aegis set to Memory Alpha rather than to a doff, with a wide variety of crafted sets available based on your playstyle.
    • Crafting/deconstruction times are negligible, though Researching enhancements does involve a timer.
    • In addition, items are made directly from materials (rather than requiring intermediary components), BoE at most, and have varying aesthetic options you can learn to use.

Overall, waaaaaay better than what we have here. Their version of the Exchange sucks, though, so at least we have that. :tongue:
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    Ok, over the past 2-3 days I've crafted over 150+ (I stopped counting here) beam arrays in hopes of finding the elusive [CrtD]x2 [Over], I have got exactly 0 for my efforts.

I've gotten a handful of other [Mod] combinations, like [Acc] [CrtD]x2 and [CrtD]x2 [CrtH], and even 3-4 [CrtD]x3 beams, which I've been using to fund my efforts...

Either the RNG gods hate me, or certain [Mod] combinations have a lower chance of appearing than others do... :confused:

At this point I would normally just buy the weapons with [CrtD]x2 [Over] from the exchange, but there aren't any available in Tetryon Beams. :angry: (And, yes I know that Tetryon isn't the best choice for top-notch DPS, but damnit I want my pretty blue beams!)

I'm not trying to sound like a whiny [Insert pronoun here]. I'm just trying to iterate the frustration players are having crafting semi-random equipment, and the importance of having some influence over crafting [Mod] results, even if it is after the item is created.

I wouldn't mind taking a few of the [CrtD]x2 [CrtH] beams and swapping out the [CrtH] for [Over], even if it cost me some resources/time, I just don't want to have to craft 1000+ beam arrays to get a couple of beams that I'd want to use. (And hope that I don't get a crappy, unchangable [Mod] should it increase rarity during an upgrade...)
  • Options
    Hey, thanks bro!

I actually considered suggesting something like this, but I couldn't figure out how Cryptic would fit all the modules in the UI lol.

Having this done in engineering, (or perhaps a station at the fleet starbase too?) would make the whole thing more 'immersive' and would eliminate the need for all the modules clogging up the UI! :D
  • Options
    mistressbenihimemistressbenihime Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    this system is a huge disappointment if you expect to be crafting. Diablo 2 & 3 do not have crafting neither does STO.

real crafting systems are to be found in ESO and GW2. both are F2P and I don't get why the devs didn't use that to look how their competitors are doing thing and learn from that. I mean a total of +/- 50$ for corporate espionage on 2 competitors.
    The Key about crafting is that you have control. if the control is not there then just give me an extra RNG item at the end of each mission instead of crafting materials. just let me choose deflector, engin, shield, ect. at the end of a mission like you do whit the marks and you have the same result as the crafting system a random roll on known item type. that's it you know what item type you are going to get but it's as random as the RNG loot in missions. the system simply adds noting.
    I does not need to be redesigned from the ground up though. the UI is good and so is the general setup. even the upgrade ui works just fine. so fine I would suggest using it as a basis for the modification system.
    now here comes the harder part you need to reprogram how items work. or at least how this upgrade system interacts whit it.
    the Aegis shield would then look like:
    Covariant shield array mk XII [Aegis][Cap]x2
    since the system now reads a UR Mk 12 as the base item whit 3 modules in it. if you have a [Reg] mod you can change it into:
    Covariant shield array mk XII [Aegis][Cap][Reg]
    if you have the Assimilated Regenerative Shield Array (Regenerative Shield Array Mk XII [Assimilated][Reg]x2). you can take the [Assimilated] mod out of there and change your Aegis into:
    Covariant shield array mk XII [Assimilated][Cap]x2
    i am not quite ready to unleash the Covariant shield array mk XII [Assimilated][Adapted M.A.C.O.][Jem'Hadar] on the universe.
    I can be okay whit the random rolls on item creation as long i can deconstruct/revese egineer those items and get mods that I can use for my other items. when I hear crafting I expect to have control and the ability in finely tuning my outcomes. it's implied in the word to craft.

EDIT: you can ague that a [Cap] mod is incorporated into the [Aegis] and set mods like the [Aegis] mod take up 2 mod slots on the item. resulting into:
    Covariant shield array mk XII [Aegis][Cap]
    whit the exact same stats.
    Post edited by mistressbenihime on
    THE NEW CRAFTING SYSTEM IS TERRA-BAD
    First of all it's not even a crafting system! It's just a dumb game system that's nothing more than a glorified slots machine.
    second the "special items" you hope will be the saving the saving grace are messed up to.