test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unofficial Literary Challenge #12 Discussion Thread

takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Ten Forward
Here's the Discussion Thread for Unofficial Literary Challenge #12.

As usual, please be honest and polite.

Entries Thread is here.
76561198160276582.png
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Still working on something for ULC 11 which I'm not abandoning ;)
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    None of the prompts work for me.

#1...Berat's "relationship situation" was explained in An Enigma Tale, and is hidden like it is precisely to avoid this scenario. And Alyosha is a de facto asexual: he cannot be sexually attracted to any humanoid, and despises his own species' actions so greatly that it's an automatic turn-off, in every sense of the word.

#2...I seriously started considering this one--then realized if almost anyone goes in Alyosha's quarters without permission, proverbial heads will roll. (Plus the chance of there just not being a mystery because he caught the perp without their being able to see that he was there watching.) The precautions against such intrusions are far more serious than normal. And while Berat has no planetside residence and what is in his quarters and office is the whole of his material possessions (though his financial statement shows him as wealthy), I just am not getting a strong sense of a story I want to write.

#3: Mostly ignoring the DQ.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Interesting prompt set!

Going to have to think on these, 1 would require a lot of space even by my standards to do something as enormously life-changing as that justice, not sure it's one I will do.

2 could be fun. Incipient paranoia madness is fun in any space service. :) As long as you're not the one being driven, of course!

And there's a lot of ways that prompt can be taken, it's a great story seed.

3 - All sorts of shady ethical lines in the rough stuff outside the Sphere, could be very useful for that - Delta was originally under the domain of intelligence, I can see captains being uncomfortable with having a spy waved in their face, might do something with that, especially as much as Franklin Drake loves messing with random Starfleet types.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    A bit of clarification for 1: You do not need to cover all of the points I listed in the prompt. Those were there so you could choose what you wanted to do.

For example, if I was to write my own story using Prompt 1, I would likely use Tiana Lanstar again, but I've already covered the discovery of Sobaru's final 'gift', so I wouldn't use that. That gives me two options.

Option 1 would be me covering the child's birth, likely a month or two after Remembrance of the Fallen. And that is something I might do, actually.

Option 2 would be I write a story set at least a few years later, covering another point in the child's life. It could be Preschool. It could be Primary School. It could be Starfleet Academy (or college if the child decides not to join Starfleet). As long as the story focused on the child and Tia, it would fit the criteria for the prompt.

So, basically, you have a range of options for Prompt 1, and don't need to cover all of them in a single story. If you have an idea, just pick a path for that idea that seems good for you and go with it. :D
    76561198160276582.png
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    edited June 2015
    @hawku - Snuck this one in eh? Not bad and the refence to Worf's wife was awesome.
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Thanks! It's like I slipped this entry under the door and then ran away before anyone could see me. :D

By the way, here is the STEU article on this month's challenge:
    - Someone To Remember Them By
    edited June 2015
    Nice one, hawk.

cmdrscarlet, liked your redux piece on finding some peace.

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
    Thanks! (Not sure if you're still around)

Bump. Here's the new link to the entry thread: ULC 12
    I seem to have made the transition - need to get my icon fixed.

edited June 2015
    Kathryn misplaced an item ... or did she?

Hope you enjoy!

Cast list (actor names are links):
    Kathryn Beringer - Rachel Nichols
    Thel Ythysi - Kevin Sorbo
    Bur'ar - David Ramsey
    Tarkap - Ariel Winters
    Bosk - male sidewalk extra 1
    Trenu - male sidewalk extra 2
    Cremeans - male sidewalk extra 3
    Post edited by cmdrscarlet on
  • talainakazzurtalainakazzur Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Strewth! That's a pain getting back on these forums.

My old account was troublesome, so I just created a new one. In case you can't tell by my username, I was Grylak. Figured may as well take the name of my main character.

I'll have to have a think about these prompts. Try to get back into the writing side of things. I have an idea for the first one. Actually, I have 2 ideas for the first one. But we'll have to see which way it goes.
    cmdrscarlet - Interesting little piece. Kathryn's hit odd problems lately.

edited June 2015
    @cmdrscarlet The cuteness. :)

For my entries, here are my Captains:

latest?cb=20150616023101latest?cb=20150614104610latest?cb=20150509215748
    From left: Captain Menrow, U.S.S. Crucial // Captain Iviok, U.S.S. Jenova // Captain Reynolds, U.S.S. Hijinx
    Post edited by hawku001x on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    Okay, I'm going to try and come up with some prompts for ULC 13 and post them tomorrow morning before I leave for work.
    Man, hawku001x, your stories are always wild.

• worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    Hawku, that was epic. I've always loved the Mayhem ads, and you captured the spirit and feeling of them perfectly.

Now, I'm going to need the money for a new keyboard to replace the one that was ruined when I spat my morning tea on after reading that story.
    Man, hawku001x, your stories are always wild.
    Thanks for reading! It's almost like they're cartoons.
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Hawku, that was epic. I've always loved the Mayhem ads, and you captured the spirit and feeling of them perfectly.

Now, I'm going to need the money for a new keyboard to replace the one that was ruined when I spat my morning tea on after reading that story.
    Haha. You get it. Very in-depth analysis. I will send you a cheque for the keyboard. :p
    @hawkuu - haha ending was great!
    Merci! I actually really like the Odyssey-class. She's a beaut.