test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Only Way to Go (A Masterverse One-Shot)

takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Ten Forward
Takeshi Yamato's notes: This was somewhat inspired by my Halloween LC Entry with StarSword—I know I wanted to follow up with another Tia/Eleya story where they met after Sobaru's death. It wasn’t until the Tyria Sark piece was done for ULC 10 that we started actually hashing this out. This also sets up further character development for Tia, and takes place a few days before the start of Original Sin.

So, sit back, and enjoy!! :D

Cast:
  • Lieutenant Tiana "Tia" Lanstar: Maryke Hendrikse
  • Captain Kanril Eleya, CO, USS George Hammond: Jennifer Hale
  • Commander Tesjha Phohl, XO, USS George Hammond: Claudia Black
  • Kojami Gwint, mother of Kojami Sobaru: Elizabeth McGovern
  • Kojami Genya, father of Kojami Sobaru: Hugh Bonneville
  • Second Lieutenant Kojami Jina, sister of Kojami Sobaru: Lily Nicksay
  • General of the Bajoran Militia Elwar Murin, Commandant of the Bajoran Militia: Dame Judi Dench
  • Command Master Chief Petty Officer Kinlo, daughter of Koltek, senior enlisted advisor, USS George Hammond: Kate Mulgrew
  • Kalli Eparan, Vedek of Deep Space 9 and the Outsystem Colonies: Demore Barnes
  • Captain Signum, Special Operations Section 6: Stana Katic

The Only Way to Go
by Takeshi Yamato and StarSword-C

Preacher said he died too young
Over there totin’ that gun
For Uncle Sam and our freedom
Mom and Daddy dressed in black
They folded up that flag
Handed it to dad
Started prayin’
Yeah, he went out 21 guns blazin’

An’ that’s One H*ll of an Amen
That’s the only way to go
Fightin’ the good fight
Til’ the Good Lord calls you home
And so be well my friend
Til’ I see you again
This is our last goodbye
But it’s a H*ll of an Amen

Doctor said he ain’t got long
He just smiled, said bring it on
If you think I’m scared
You got it all wrong
A little cancer can’t break me
My heart’s right and I believe
We all hit our knees
Started prayin’
Naw he never gave up
Said the Good Lord’s waitin’

An’ that’s One H*ll of an Amen
That’s the only way to go
Fightin’ the good fight
Til’ the Good Lord calls you home
So be well my friend
Til’ I see you again
Yeah this is our last goodbye

So be well my friend
Til’ I see you again
This is our last goodbye

“One H*ll of an Amen”, Brantley Gilbert

Temple of the Prophets, Hathon, Bajor, 1704 hours local, 12 Talmos, Seventh Era 959, Year of Shadows (2412.07.18 Earth Standard)

Lieutenant Tiana ‘Tia’ Lanstar (though she was up for a potential promotion to lieutenant commander once she got back to Earth) found it somewhat strange that she was more at home here, on her wife’s homeworld, than she could ever have felt on Earth, or even her own home planet, the colony world of Midchilda. She guessed part of it was her conversion to the Bajoran Faith, but she didn’t know if that was the only reason, or even the biggest.

Regardless of the reasoning, she had opted not to return to Earth on the Ray Bradbury with Nanoha and the rest of the Wolfram’s crew—instead, she had chosen to come here, to the place of her wife’s birth, for her bereavement leave—and she had been the one to inform her in-laws about Sobaru’s death. And while the whole affair was classified incredibly high (and Tia seethed at how Starfleet was sweeping the threat Sobaru had given her life to help stop under the rug) and she was likely risking her career, she felt that Sobaru’s family needed to know the truth. Besides, Bajor was close enough that they’d heard a few rumors already, and the statement Kai Kira gave about the Moab bird-of-prey that had crashed nearby had been apparently worded such that most of the Bajoran populace knew that there had been much more at stake than a ‘training exercise’.

While Kojami Genya and Kojami Gwint were proud of their daughter for the role that even her death played in the battle, the purely symbolic casket sitting empty before the altar, draped in flowers and garlands and the Federation flag, seemed to everyone to be worse than if it had been filled. Still, Kojami Jina, Sobaru’s elder sister, a newly-minted second lieutenant in the Militia, was just as proud as her parents were, and hoped she would have the courage to make the same choice as Sobaru did if and when she found herself in a similar situation, though Tia had told her that she would do her best to make sure no one ever had to make that choice again—she didn’t want anyone else to face what she and Sobaru had during the weeks before that battle.

Even without the body, though, they still went through with most of the traditional funeral rites, which was why Tia was currently standing in the Hathon Temple clad in her dress whites, as many of the people Sobaru had known from her childhood had gathered. The vedek who had married them in the DS9 Temple back in May had flown down to Bajor to perform the funeral as a favor. Currently, though, they’d reached a bit of a ‘lull in the action’—they’d finished the latest round of prayers, and were basically making small talk for a few moments before the next set.

She’d had condolences wished her by several of Sobaru’s childhood friends, who likewise didn’t believe the official “training exercise mishap” story that Starfleet had given, but Tia hadn’t confirmed or denied any of their theories. They deserved the truth, everyone did, but Tia didn’t want to risk her career any more than necessary by making the truth too widespread: Sobaru’s family were the only ones she would tell.

Tia heard the temple’s front door open and close, and turned. Two new figures in Starfleet dress whites stood in the vestibule ritually washing their hands, one a buxom Andorian O-5 with her stark-white hair cut boyishly short, the other…

Tia looked again, disbelieving. She hadn’t seen Kanril Eleya in over nine years, but her freshman year tutor hadn’t changed much. Still the same cheek scar, same imposing height and athletic build, though the Bajoran’s flaming red ponytail now sported a few grey hairs. Her left breast glittered with an impressive party salad of medals, and was that four pips and two command stars on her collar?

What was she doing here?

She walked over to the new arrivals. “It’s been a while, Eleya,” she said. “I wasn’t expecting you to be here.”

“Lieutenant,” the Andorian began with a disapproving glare, but Eleya held up a hand.

“It’s all right, Tess. I know Lieutenant Lanstar from the Academy.” The older woman gripped Tia’s shoulders and pulled her into a bear hug. “The number of these I’ve done myself, you’d think I’d know what to say by now,” she murmured into Tia’s ear. “It’s never any easier, never.” She stepped back. “How are you holding up?”

Tia smiled sadly. “As well as can be expected,” she answered. “We’d only just gotten married almost a month earlier, and she was taken from me so suddenly… It hurts a lot.” She paused. “Who’s your friend?”

“Commander Tess Phohl,” the Andorian answered, the ends of her antennae silently shifting forward. “I’m Captain Kanril’s first officer.”

“A pleasure to meet you, sir,” Tia said. “Um, captain of what?”

“USS George Hammond,” Phohl explained. “Stargazer-class heavy cruiser.”

Tia nodded. “Congratulations on that, Eleya,” she said. “Sobaru and I always figured you’d end up in command someday, and a Stargazer is a pretty good ship, from what I’ve seen.”

Eleya agreed. “Few rough edges and feels a little short on firepower at times. Good stepping stone, though.” Tia gave her a questioning look and Eleya’s mouth quirked. “There’s a certain Series 23 Galaxy-class whose CO is retiring next spring. No idea if I’ll get it, but why not?”

Tia nodded, though still a bit surprised. The Galaxy hullplan was old, but they were incredibly versatile, and the newer ones remained among the most powerful ships in the fleet. “I wish you the best of luck with that, Eleya,” she said. “Not sure where I’ll go next, myself, though I’ve heard rumors that I’m up for a promotion.”

A bell chimed at the front of the temple and Tia glanced over her shoulder. Vedek Kalli was beginning the Rite of Cleansing. The three moved back into the sanctuary, and Eleya and Commander Phohl knelt on the row of cushions behind Tia, who was at the front with Sobaru’s family.

They’d reached another break period, and Tia had taken the opportunity to introduce Eleya and Phohl to Sobaru’s family.

“It’s a pleasure to meet a friend of our daughter’s,” Kojami Gwint, whose dark blue hair had begun to get a few streaks of grey in it, said to Eleya. “I understand you’re former Militia?” Eleya nodded.

The blue-garbed Kojami Jina gestured at Eleya’s party salad. “Pardon me for asking, ma’am, but is that—”

“The Silver Cross? Yes, it is.”

“That’s… That’s the battle sigil, but on a black ribbon?” It was a rare combination. The Old High Bajoran ideogram for ‘battle’, given only for infantry combat, mixed with a black ribbon signifying the Militia Space Arm, disbanded early in the last decade.

“Hostile boarding action,” Commander Phohl explained.

“I was an E-5, naval weapons tech. We got ambushed by a Syndicate raider. This was about thirteen years ago.”

“I think I remember hearing about that,” Kojami Genya remarked. “I think that was around the time the decision to shut down Space Arm was being discussed.” Of course, it had taken another year and the recession at the turn of the century to give the Conservatives enough votes to force it past the Nationalists.

“So… you were involved in one of our last major space battles…” Jina remarked.

“Wouldn’t exactly call one Buccaneer-class corvette a ‘major battle’,” the captain said rather dryly. “I mean, yeah, we lost thirty Militiamen and I got… this thing”—she waved a hand at the scar under her left eye—“but compared to that mess with the Fek’Ihri at Goralis—”

Tia raised an eyebrow. “You know about that?”

Eleya grinned out of one side of her mouth. “I’ve got need-to-know. I have top secret clearance and my ship’s part of the sector fleet up at DS9.”

“You were here? Then why—”

“We were off putting out a fire near the Tzenkethi border when everything blew up.” She gave Tia a regretful look. “I would’ve been there, even if just to help with the wounded after.”

“I forgive you,” Tia replied. “I know you. You wouldn’t shy away from a fight if the stakes were as high as they were, unless you were doing something else important.”

“Thing is, it wasn’t important, just the phekk’ta bendies deciding the border’s an extra five light-years out like they do twice a month or so. They usually back down when we show up—it’s an annoyance, not a universe-threatening disaster.”

“Really?”

Eleya nodded. “Mm-hm.”

Tia sighed. “I just wish Starfleet wasn’t trying to sweep this under the rug. She died saving the galaxy, and yet the official story is that she died in a training accident!! I’m glad that no one here on Bajor actually believes that story, but—”

“Prophets,” Jina interrupted, looking behind them to the vestibule, “is that—?”

Eleya glanced over her shoulder, then spun and swiftly snapped to attention, bringing her right hand to the side of her face, palm facing out; Jina did likewise. “A-ten-HUT!” she barked, and the other Militiamen and Fleeties present quickly followed suit as an elderly but well-preserved woman in Militia dress blues stepped into the room, flanked by two Militia NCOs with matte-black phaser pistols openly belted at their waists. Five polished gold bands glinted on her epaulets, contrasting sharply with the pale silver of her hair. She approached the group and smartly returned Eleya’s and Jina’s salutes.

“General Elwar, ma’am,” Jina said, still standing stiffly at attention.

“At ease,” the commandant of the Bajoran Militia told them. She looked over to the empty casket, and in a voice that carried across the room she explained, “I came to pay my respects to the woman who saved us all.”

“‘Saved us all’, ma’am?” another of Sobaru’s childhood friends, a uniformed NCO, said questioningly. “But FNN said—”

“I know damn well what the official story said, Corporal, and as far as I care Starfleet Command can TRIBBLE up a rope. They’re not my boss and they’d bloody better find Commander Kojami a medal before I break protocol and name her to the Order of the Five Moons.” There was a collective intake of breath: that was the Republic of Bajor’s highest military honor, usually given posthumously and never to a non-Militiaman.

“Th… thank you very much, Ma’am,” Tia stammered. “That… that’s a tremendous honor you’d be willing to bestow.”

“Um, ma’am?” the corporal asked hesitantly. “If I’m allowed to ask… what did happen?”

“Invasion,” Tia replied, getting everyone’s attention. If the General was going to such lengths to honor Sobaru, and announce it at her memorial, no less, the least those assembled deserved to know was why, classified status be damned. “We weren’t there for training exercises—we were there because we’d gotten intelligence of a Fek’Ihri and Undine invasion, supporting aliens who seek to enslave the entire galaxy. During the fighting, our ship was hit by a torpedo containing a Fek bioweapon… and Sobaru… Sobaru blew herself up to destroy it. She saved the ship… at least long enough for us to make a difference.”

The gathered mourners began muttering among themselves at Tia’s declaration, some of the things Tia heard being “Fits the rumors better than the official story,” and “Why isn’t the Federation saying anything?”

“I don’t know why they decided to bury it, Private,” Eleya answered the last one. “When I was growing up, a thing like that you celebrated, you didn’t cover it up. Ma’am,” she said to General Elwar, “you remember that thing with the True Way in Wyntara Mas Province about twelve years back? Three Militiamen and an SI operative die stopping a bombing?”

“Remember it? I was on the post-incident board of inquiry, wrote the medal recommendations myself.”

“Oh.”

She turned to the Kojami family. “Sobaru Lanstar doesn’t deserve to be remembered as a training accident casualty. Prophets willing, she won’t have to be for very long.”

“We know,” Gwint replied. “We’re grateful to Tiana for letting us know the truth when we asked.”

As a few people turned to Tia at that statement, she simply looked at them all and said, “I felt that her family, at the very least, needed to know the truth about what happened to their daughter.”

“So you illegally revealed classified information?” Commander Phohl summarized with a disapproving tone and a stern look.

“Yes, sir. And I’d do it again.”

“Well done,” Elwar said. Eleya, and, to her surprise, Phohl, echoed the sentiment.

The Bajoran funeral was concluded. Now Starfleet military honors took over.

A white-haired female Klingon, the shoulders of her noncom’s dress whites dyed engineering yellow, took charge of six other white-uniformed enlisted, three men, three women, who lifted the empty casket by the palls and turned toward the entrance. Eleya nudged Tia from behind. “That’s Kinlo, my command master chief,” she murmured. “Captain Kurland and I took the liberty of providing the casket team ourselves; hope you don’t mind.”

“No, I don’t,” Tia replied. “Thank you very much…”

A black Ford groundcar idled at the curb outside, waiting to transport the casket to the gravesite. Moving with military precision, the casket team slid their load into the back, as Tia, the Kojami family, and the guests entered another groundcar to follow.

A carved wooden arch stood on the green grass of a cemetery outside Hathon, and the casket team placed their load on the ground, then repositioned the Federation flag across the casket, smoothly pivoted on their heels, and stepped away to an honor guard position.

Vedek Kalli stepped forward as the attendees took their seats, placing his palms atop the flag. In clear, Wyntaran-accented Bajor’la, he intoned, “Prophets, guardians of this world, a pagh that burned brightly, oh, so brightly, now returns to your embrace. Would that you gather Sobaru Lanstar, born of the Family Kojami, into your embrace for all time in the Celestial Temple, as we bid farewell to her below.”

He stepped back, and Master Chief Kinlo and a dark-haired human O-6, James Kurland from Deep Space 9, stepped up to the casket. “All rise for honors,” Kurland said The attendees did so.

Master Chief Kinlo barked, “Aim!” Five Type 3 phaser rifles rose over the casket. “Fire!” Light and sound rent the sky, and Tia flinched. The smell of burning plastic and flesh filled her nostrils.

A strong hand gripped her left shoulder, pulling her out of the flashback. Tia looked behind her as the Klingon snarled the orders again. Eleya gave her a wordless half-smile as the cemetery was lit again by five rifles set to minimum power; Tia gripped the older woman’s hand in hers, thankful for the support.

“Aim! Fire!” Again the phasers barked. “Present… ARMS!” The detail rotated smartly in place, rifles held vertically in front of them, as a far-off bugler began playing “Taps”.

No, not a bugle, Tia realized after a moment. It was a Bajoran flute.

Four more white-uniformed petty officers took up the royal blue Federation flag over the casket and began to fold it, twice lengthwise, then in neat, uniform triangular sections. Eleya brushed past her and took the folded flag from a blond Bajoran senior chief, then turned and held it out to her. “On behalf of the President of the United Federation of Planets, the Federation Starfleet, and a grateful nation, please accept this flag as a symbol of our appreciation for Sobaru Lanstar’s honorable and faithful service.”

“Thank you very much, Eleya,” Tia replied, sniffling back tears and taking the flag.

The other mourners had mostly cleared out and the empty casket had long been removed, but Eleya stayed behind with Tia by a carved wooden arch, a grave marker without a grave.

“What are you going to do now?” Eleya asked. She’d unbuttoned the front of her uniform jacket and now produced a silver hip flask. She took a swig and held it out to Tia. “Want one? Springwine from my hometown.”

Tia accepted the flask and took a sip. It had an earthy taste, some kind of dark fruit like a plum. “Where is home for you, anyway, Eleya?”

“Priyat. Fleaspeck town in the Kendra Valley. That’s in the southern hemisphere, long way from here.”

Tia nodded. “Seems like it,” she said. “As to what I’m doing next… I know I want to stay in Starfleet, but beyond that, I’m not sure… I think Nanoha will be happier with a new tactical officer, though…”

“Hey. If you want it, I’m sure I can find a place for you in my Tactical Department. Tess doesn’t say it, but I’m sure she could use an assistant T.O.”

“I don’t really know what I’m going to be doing,” Tia replied. “I’m still debating what to do with Sobaru’s final gift to me—I want it so badly, but I’m not sure when would be the best time for it…”

“Final gift?”

“Her ovaries.” Tia sniffled again. “She knew it was coming. We both did—Orb experience. She had the doc take them out and put them in stasis.”

Eleya gave her a surprised look. “You mean… you want to have her kid?”

“It’s miracle enough they even survived the battle,” Tia answered. “I… she gave me a chance to have someone to remember her by… but I want that child to grow up in a peaceful galaxy, one where threats like the Masters are just a distant memory… and I want to ensure no one else has to make the same choice Sobaru did…”

Eleya’s combadge chimed. “Phekk. Never fails.” She screwed the cap onto her flask and answered. “Kanril.”

Tess’s voice answered. “Remember, Captain, you promised your sister?

“Yeah, great phekk’ta timing, Tess.”

Ma’am, it’s an hour suborbital to Priyat, and we have to be back at DS9 for pre-flight in eight hours.

Eleya sighed and grudgingly acquiesced. “All right, I’ll be there in a few minutes.” She looked at Tia. “Sorry, I gotta—”

“I didn’t know you had a sister. She Militia?”

“Naw, I’m the red hara cat in a brown burrow,” she answered with a grin. “Teri teaches Federation Standard in primary school, married a vedek. Supposed to be having my first nephew in a couple months, too.”

“Congratulate her for me. And… thanks for being here.”

“Wouldn’t miss it.” Eleya smiled. “Walk with the Prophets.”

“You too,” Tia answered as Eleya turned and walked back towards the town and an underground parking deck.

Tia stood there a while longer as the sun set in the southwestern sky and two of the five moons, Derna and Jeraddo, she thought, became visible. Finally, she knelt by the grave marker and pressed her palm to the ideograms that read “blue star flower” in Hathoni dialect, Sobaru’s name. “Thank you. I love you forever.”

“Lieutenant Tiana Lanstar?” a voice asked.

Tia straightened and turned at the voice, seeing a Vulcan woman approach her from the opposite direction of town. She had on Starfleet service blacks with red trim, but the shoulders were white, indicating a CO. Her dark brown hair was done in a ponytail, which was something you rarely saw with Vulcan women (or Vulcans at all), so it stood out in Tia’s mind.

“You have me at a disadvantage, Captain…” Tia prompted.

“Signum,” the Vulcan supplied. “Captain Signum, of Starfleet Special Operations Section 6. We’re part of the Starfleet Technical Intelligence Group.” She passed Tia a PADD. “My superior has an offer for you…”

Authors’ Notes: This is a semi-prequel to “Remembrance of the Fallen”. While that one could be rationalized as an Intercontinuity Crossover, the drastic differences between the Masterverse and Eleya’s main continuity by the MV “present day” meant developing a full alternate reality counterpart. So, no USS Bajor yet, because the Masterverse doesn’t subscribe to the absurd promotion rate in STO (though she did still make captain at a relatively young age, she’s still rather junior for command of something as big as a GCS), but also no Noodle Incident of Eleya cussing out a diplomatic conference because “Surface Tension” hasn’t happened yet.
76561198160276582.png
Post edited by takeshi6 on

Comments

• Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I really enjoyed this :cool:
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I really enjoyed this :cool:

Thank you. :D
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Really nicely done! I'm sure Ryan would have a few choice words for the Starfleet Officer who decided to classify Sobaru's death as a 'training accident', seeing as he lost his parents in battle.

I'll be waiting patiently for more!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Really nicely done! I'm sure Ryan would have a few choice words for the Starfleet Officer who decided to classify Sobaru's death as a 'training accident', seeing as he lost his parents in battle.

Thanks. I will mention this is a one-shot, but waiting for more is alright, because this will tie in to other stories. :D
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    "The red hara cat in a brown burrow." I always love these notes of non-humanity in the nonhuman characters - I try to stick them in some of my own stories, which is one of the reasons I'm having a hard time writing any more about Grunt, I think. (I failed so many times in those stories, it feels awkward to try to fit them in now.)

I also liked the Bajoran Militia commandant saying Starfleet could TRIBBLE up a rope. She's right - she's not in their line of command, and there's not a blessed thing they could do to her.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    "The red hara cat in a brown burrow." I always love these notes of non-humanity in the nonhuman characters - I try to stick them in some of my own stories, which is one of the reasons I'm having a hard time writing any more about Grunt, I think. (I failed so many times in those stories, it feels awkward to try to fit them in now.)

I also liked the Bajoran Militia commandant saying Starfleet could TRIBBLE up a rope. She's right - she's not in their line of command, and there's not a blessed thing they could do to her.
    That was the only thing I disliked about the piece, but it did massively rankle, as it was giving a not only allied-service (but one which incorporates her own people) the finger, which struck me as massively unprofessional for someone of such rank* but Starfleet could certainly do something about it either via official channels, such requesting a formal apology for releasing what is effectively state secrets, or via informal channels, such as declining joint training operations, not sharing intelligence with the Bajoran Militia beyond what any other Federation member world could expect to be told or other such petty non-compliances ;)

*Not that people of rank are actually above other kinds of unprofessional or improper conduct...
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited June 2015

We will see how long the secrecy around that lasts...events posted in some of the other Masterverse stories make that questionable..

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    We will see how long the secrecy around that lasts...events posted in some of the other Masterverse stories make that questionable..

Agreed - and this is set before the Data Dump in Sign at the Crossroads
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yeah, I started to write "black sheep", but then I realized they probably don't have sheep on Bajor. :D
    That was the only thing I disliked about the piece, but it did massively rankle, as it was giving a not only allied-service (but one which incorporates her own people) the finger, which struck me as massively unprofessional for someone of such rank* but Starfleet could certainly do something about it either via official channels, such requesting a formal apology for releasing what is effectively state secrets, or via informal channels, such as declining joint training operations, not sharing intelligence with the Bajoran Militia beyond what any other Federation member world could expect to be told or other such petty non-compliances ;)

*Not that people of rank are actually above other kinds of unprofessional or improper conduct...

There's a couple things going on there. First of all, the Bajoran Militia does have somewhat of an inter-service rivalry with Starfleet, especially considering most of Space Arm, including Eleya, ended up transferring over when the Chamber of Ministers got rid of Bajor's deep space warfare capability. (They still have equipment like runabouts and troop transports to transfer personnel and materiel between Bajor and the colonies, but they leave actual space patrol to Starfleet.)

Likewise their differences in organizational culture (the Militia are soldiers first, not explorers, as we've seen in Eleya's past appearances -- she still thinks like a Militiaman), and the fact that Bajoran nationalism still runs pretty strong, as we see in-game in "Of Bajor" and "Undine Infiltration": not everybody's happy with Federation membership and a considerable portion of the population are worried, even now, that Starfleet might be, or become, another occupying force.* Bajor is still very much hurting from the Cardassian Occupation, which much of the adult population even in 2412 was alive for, remember. That includes General Elwar.

(There's a bit in this fic that I wish I'd remembered to add to the scene with General Elwar where Eleya goes, "Balus kren, ma'am." That's the Militia's version of "Semper fi", and it means "Never again" in Bajoran.)

Upshot is, given the choice between supporting the Federation command structure and supporting a fellow Bajoran, the near-instinctive response from a long-serving Militiaman like Elwar Murin is almost always going to be to support the Bajoran.

Second, there's the scale of the actual violation. I mentioned to gulberat privately that she's discussing the secret with a relatively small group of family and friends of the deceased, many of whom are active-duty Militia or Starfleet and know to keep their mouths shut. She has the clout to get away with that, but she'd definitely be prosecuted for pulling a Snowden and letting the whole galaxy know.

And thanks to Uno's data leak the question becomes moot in less than a month anyway. I'd wager Starfleet says "TRIBBLE it" and gives Sobaru a posthumous FMoH (the Christopher Pike Medal, minimum) after it all comes out.

* Worth noting here: in the Terok Nor novels, which tell the novelverse's version of the history of the Occupation from beginning to end, you know how the Cardassians moved in in the first place? They tricked the Bajoran government into becoming a Cardassian protectorate via a false flag operation (masterminded by Dukat) whereby a pair of Tzenkethi ships, stolen and Cardassian-piloted, attacked some Bajoran ships, with a fleet of Cardassian ships waiting in the wings to play Big Damn Heroes. And in canon Bajor very nearly had a civil war over being a Federation protectorate only a year after the Cardassians left.
    takeshi6 wrote: »
    Agreed - and this is set before the Data Dump in Sign at the Crossroads
    Triple-checked the date myself. This is four days before the first scene with Uno in Crossroads.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It bears mentions that Gul Berat himself did a similar thing, telling Morgan Grady--retired Starfleet--in private, how *his* child really died. Berat's situation is a little unusual in that he holds a dual Starfleet and CDF commission...on the Cardassian side, with his CDF forces, he is at liberty to say more than he can on the Federation side of the border. He also committed a technical violation, but he was very discreet about it. Though Morgan hated what Berat demanded of him, Berat even forbade him to tell his wife (Lofton Grady's mother) what he told him.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    starswordc wrote: »
    Yeah, I started to write "black sheep", but then I realized they probably don't have sheep on Bajor. :D

Sure they do, the word just means something very different than it does on Earth ;)
    There's a couple things going on there. First of all, the Bajoran Militia does have somewhat of an inter-service rivalry with Starfleet, especially considering most of Space Arm, including Eleya, ended up transferring over when the Chamber of Ministers got rid of Bajor's deep space warfare capability. (They still have equipment like runabouts and troop transports to transfer personnel and materiel between Bajor and the colonies, but they leave actual space patrol to Starfleet.)

Likewise their differences in organizational culture (the Militia are soldiers first, not explorers, as we've seen in Eleya's past appearances -- she still thinks like a Militiaman), and the fact that Bajoran nationalism still runs pretty strong, as we see in-game in "Of Bajor" and "Undine Infiltration": not everybody's happy with Federation membership and a considerable portion of the population are worried, even now, that Starfleet might be, or become, another occupying force.* Bajor is still very much hurting from the Cardassian Occupation, which much of the adult population even in 2412 was alive for, remember. That includes General Elwar.

(There's a bit in this fic that I wish I'd remembered to add to the scene with General Elwar where Eleya goes, "Balus kren, ma'am." That's the Militia's version of "Semper fi", and it means "Never again" in Bajoran.)

Upshot is, given the choice between supporting the Federation command structure and supporting a fellow Bajoran, the near-instinctive response from a long-serving Militiaman like Elwar Murin is almost always going to be to support the Bajoran.

Second, there's the scale of the actual violation. I mentioned to gulberat privately that she's discussing the secret with a relatively small group of family and friends of the deceased, many of whom are active-duty Militia or Starfleet and know to keep their mouths shut. She has the clout to get away with that, but she'd definitely be prosecuted for pulling a Snowden and letting the whole galaxy know.

And thanks to Uno's data leak the question becomes moot in less than a month anyway. I'd wager Starfleet says "TRIBBLE it" and gives Sobaru a posthumous FMoH (the Christopher Pike Medal, minimum) after it all comes out.

* Worth noting here: in the Terok Nor novels, which tell the novelverse's version of the history of the Occupation from beginning to end, you know how the Cardassians moved in in the first place? They tricked the Bajoran government into becoming a Cardassian protectorate via a false flag operation (masterminded by Dukat) whereby a pair of Tzenkethi ships, stolen and Cardassian-piloted, attacked some Bajoran ships, with a fleet of Cardassian ships waiting in the wings to play Big Damn Heroes. And in canon Bajor very nearly had a civil war over being a Federation protectorate only a year after the Cardassians left.

Triple-checked the date myself. This is four days before the first scene with Uno in Crossroads.
    For sure, I certainly agree and understand those points, I just don't like them, and see it as unprofessional behaviour, but that's just my thoughts on inter-service interactions ;)
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It's probably because my Grandfather was in the Navy, but I personally find it shocking in no way that there would be a rivalry between Starfleet and the Militia - I mean, there's still a rivalry between the British Armed Forces and the US Military.

I wouldn't mind if you guys could give me your views on my current fanfic (on that thread, so we're not derailing this one). Given I'm nowhere near as skilled as you guys, your feedback would mean a lot.

Back on topic, takeshi, this is probably the best fanfic I've read in a while. As many say, the worst crime a story can commit is making me not care. Not only did your story make me care about the situation of the characters, but I nearly had to break out the tissues! Same to you, Starswordc. Brilliant work.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    For sure, I certainly agree and understand those points, I just don't like them, and see it as unprofessional behaviour, but that's just my thoughts on inter-service interactions ;)

Which actually was one of the intended reactions, TBH. Yeah, it's unprofessional, but it isn't an illogical reaction. I was very much trying to keep in mind the Masterverse's Rule of Natural Consequences.

Initially that whole plot thread wasn't going to happen, but Takeshi was going for Tia revealing the secret when we were planning this out, and I had to point out the fact that revealing classified information to uncleared persons is a crime, and under the RONC we're trying to keep the cases of TRIBBLE the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right to a minimum -- some of the stuff the canon protagonists got away with frankly strains credulity.

Classified data clearance doesn't quite work like you see in the movies: having "top secret clearance" doesn't mean you can view anything you want -- you still have to have legal need-to-know (e.g. Eleya already knows the real story of Goralis because she has the appropriate security clearance and it happened within her theatre of operations), which isn't the same thing as morally deserving to know (if it wasn't for Tia, Sobaru's parents would've kept on thinking their daughter died ignominiously in a training accident, at least until the big data leak).

The example I used was from Top Gun. Maverick's spent most of his life thinking that his father Duke Mitchell, a Vietnam-era naval aviator, died in disgrace because he was stupid (he doesn't believe the official story because he think's it's out-of-character, but everyone else bought it). Then, Viper tells him the real story, that Duke Mitchell was wounded in combat and could've made it back to the carrier, but chose to stay in it and saved three planes before he died.

But as Viper put it, "That's not something the State Department tells dependents when the battle occurred over the wrong line on some map." So that's where the stuff about Tia acknowledging that telling the Kojami family the truth was illegal comes from. And then General Elwar, who has the clout to tell Starfleet what it can do with itself on a limited basis, visits the funeral, and Tia feels free to expand that to Sobaru's friends because Elwar's basically blown the cover story already.
    It's probably because my Grandfather was in the Navy, but I personally find it shocking in no way that there would be a rivalry between Starfleet and the Militia - I mean, there's still a rivalry between the British Armed Forces and the US Military.
    Hell, forget the Brits and Yanks, the US Army/Navy rivalry is the stuff of legends. (I'm a Navy brat myself: my parents actually met on the USS Briscoe, my paternal grandfather was a sonar tech, and my great-granddad was a radioman and eventually a mustang.) I've also alluded in Eleya's native continuity to a rivalry between Starfleet Science and the military wings of the service (specifically, Birail occasionally grumbles that she doesn't get to do her job much with the missions the USS Bajor usually gets sent on), and to one between Starfleet and the Andorian Imperial Guard (with Tess mentioning having joined Starfleet to TRIBBLE off an Imperial Guard parent).
    I wouldn't mind if you guys could give me your views on my current fanfic (on that thread, so we're not derailing this one). Given I'm nowhere near as skilled as you guys, your feedback would mean a lot.
    I'll have a look.
    Back on topic, takeshi, this is probably the best fanfic I've read in a while. As many say, the worst crime a story can commit is making me not care. Not only did your story make me care about the situation of the characters, but I nearly had to break out the tissues! Same to you, Starswordc. Brilliant work.
    Glad you enjoyed it. :cool:
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Which actually was one of the intended reactions, TBH. Yeah, it's unprofessional, but it isn't an illogical reaction. I was very much trying to keep in mind the Masterverse's Rule of Natural Consequences.

Initially that whole plot thread wasn't going to happen, but Takeshi was going for Tia revealing the secret when we were planning this out, and I had to point out the fact that revealing classified information to uncleared persons is a crime, and under the RONC we're trying to keep the cases of TRIBBLE the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right to a minimum -- some of the stuff the canon protagonists got away with frankly strains credulity.

Classified data clearance doesn't quite work like you see in the movies: having "top secret clearance" doesn't mean you can view anything you want -- you still have to have legal need-to-know (e.g. Eleya already knows the real story of Goralis because she has the appropriate security clearance and it happened within her theatre), which isn't the same thing as morally deserving to know (if it wasn't for Tia, Sobaru's parents would've kept on thinking their daughter died ignominiously in a training accident, at least until the big data leak).

The example I used was from Top Gun. Maverick's spent most of his life thinking that his father Duke Mitchell, a Vietnam-era naval aviator, died in disgrace because he was stupid (he doesn't believe the official story because he think's it's out-of-character, but everyone else bought it). Then, Viper tells him the real story, that Duke Mitchell was wounded in combat and could've made it back to the carrier, but chose to stay in it and saved three planes before he died.

But as Viper put it, "That's not something the State Department tells dependents when the battle occurred over the wrong line on some map." So that's where the stuff about Tia acknowledging that telling the Kojami family the truth was illegal comes from. And then General Elwar, who has the clout to tell Starfleet what it can do with itself on a limited basis, visits the funeral, and Tia feels free to expand that to Sobaru's friends because Elwar's basically blown the cover story already.
    Oh absolutely so, it's not a reaction I found acceptable, but it was a completely believable one, and in that regard, I did like how it was used :cool:

[Edit for PS]

The whole TRIBBLE the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right/To Be Lawful or Good was the dilemma Channery was in in the last installment when he pressured T'Reya into performing the mind meld to help Sirok :cool: