test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mirror Counterparts - Adapted CO Nemesis System?

takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
OK, I should start this off by saying I like the Mirror Universe missions in STO. Those are among my favorite in the DS9 area. They could probably use a revamp, but I imagine that'll happen soon enough.

However, there's one aspect of the Mirror Universe I've wanted to see in STO for almost as long as I've thought of the concept: Actually meeting your Mirror Counterpart in-game.

Now, for the most part, the canon Mirror Counterparts are all basically the same people, just with a few details tweaked. What if there were multiple details tweaked, or one of the details tweaked was their gender?

For this reason, along with the fact that your Mirror will likely play an important role in at least the Mirror arc, I would like to suggest that if Mirrors of Player Characters are implemented, we use an adapted version of Champions Online's Nemesis System for the implementation.

Devs, how easy would something like that be to pull off? And everyone else, what are your thoughts?
76561198160276582.png
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Not a fan of the Mirror Universe on a whole but yes toward getting the Nemesis System into STO
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Not a fan of the Mirror Universe on a whole ...

I can sign that.

Though a nemesis system would be neat, just not some mirror shenanigans or some kind of iconian clones because...you know.... ICONIANS!...
    The farther they went with the mirror stuff the less sense it made.
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It doesn't need to a MU character, but perhaps during the next incarnation of Delta Recruitment, perhaps it can be Nemesis where you make an enemy such as Kirk vs the Klingon Triplets or Picard vs Tomalak or Janeway vs Herself or Sisko vs Dukat.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    To be fair we do have nemesis in the game. We have simply defeated/killed them already.

Hakeeve, B'Vat, mirror O'Brien, Cooper.

We just don't get a nemesis that lives. Though I would REALLY like to meet a mirror version of my main.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    talonxv wrote: »
    To be fair we do have nemesis in the game. We have simply defeated/killed them already.

We just don't get a nemesis that lives. Though I would REALLY like to meet a mirror version of my main.

Lose the e on Hakeev.

but as for the nemesis system, you dont need a mirror counterpart of yourself, rather egotistical, would rather have a proper nemesis, in my head canon the USS Fearless first officer, Nirnas Nenman has a big time nemesis in a klingon general who has been hunting him for decades, almost caught him twice and locked him away once for a short time.

in a few skirmishes that klingon general has repeatedly tried to kill Nirnas, even once his lost brother at birth, Servius came into to rescue Nirnas. Now rescued and living under K'Mec's protection, even then Nirnas is still be hunted by that Klingon general and no treaty will change that, target fixation for certain and complete tunnel vision.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Got Foundry? :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    What if your character wasn't born in the mirror universe, or maybe he's already dead? :eek:

#killed by an epohh
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    An episode in which you encoutner your mirror crew would be a great addition and frankly the only way this game should have ever picked up the MU theme. So far, everything that they used the MU for, makes absolutely no sense and just wastes a neat potential. To be fair, DS9 and ENT ruined the idea before already (one episode in TOS was an ingenious thing to do and became legendary for good reasons. Harping on that concept somewhat half-heartedly later on... not so much.)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    well now, i wouldn't say that..............the TOS mirror episode was genius, and i think the (ducks down) ENT mirror 2 part episode was pretty good too.........
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Cool idea OP, however
    takeshi6 wrote: »
    Actually meeting your Mirror Counterpart in-game.

this could get messy. One of my alts already is the mirror counterpart of my main. What's in for him? :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Lose the e on Hakeev.

but as for the nemesis system, you dont need a mirror counterpart of yourself, rather egotistical, would rather have a proper nemesis, in my head canon the USS Fearless first officer, Nirnas Nenman has a big time nemesis in a klingon general who has been hunting him for decades, almost caught him twice and locked him away once for a short time.

in a few skirmishes that klingon general has repeatedly tried to kill Nirnas, even once his lost brother at birth, Servius came into to rescue Nirnas. Now rescued and living under K'Mec's protection, even then Nirnas is still be hunted by that Klingon general and no treaty will change that, target fixation for certain and complete tunnel vision.

Wow Roleplayers really have a rich fantasy life.
  • captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Whilst it wasn't 'mirror' per-se, we have touched on this concept before, in 'Temporal Ambassador'.

Why'd you have to say that? Now I want to play as my mirror counterpart for an episode or two... :P Seriously though that'd be pretty cool, although simply meeting them would be interesting as well.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I agree that we should get some form of Nemesis system over here. But a Mirror Universe nemesis should only be one option IMHO. This game so far(Tovan Khev issues notwithstanding) has been very RP friendly, and as such a lot of players have characters that, by pure player story control either don't have a mirror universe counterpart for one reason or another, or may in fact be a mirror universe counterpart themselves.

+1, let's support this idea guys.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Lose the e on Hakeev.

Hey never said I could spell? And USS Fearless? Honor Harrington fan I presume.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I would love to run into the Mirror version of my character, I think that would be cool.

We already know that they have the ability to replicate our characters, we saw it in the Delta Recruit mission when we were visited by our 'future self.' I'm sure they could do something similar to make a mirror universe counterpart.

I actually think it's a great idea, if you manage to rise all the way to Fleet Admiral in the prime reality, it stands to reason the person had similar potential in the Mirror Universe. The tough part would be if they duplicated my ship and build and I had to fight it. That would be tough. :D
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Not a fan of the Mirror Universe on a whole but yes toward getting the Nemesis System into STO
    Agreed, about the mirror universe.
    They where too much over the top all the time. They where fun to watch once in a while, but more of them would be too much imo. There's a bit too much madness everywhere, it's almost like ESD chat, lol.

But i like the idea of a Nemesis system. If done right, i think it would be really cool.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    dpsloss88 wrote: »
    Wow Roleplayers really have a rich fantasy life.

you can make something out of that nemesis system, even bring your friends into how you got your nemesis, the back story. you clearly havent played CO long enough to know :P.
    Hey never said I could spell? And USS Fearless? Honor Harrington fan I presume.

i cant spell either so i cant tell you how you spell :P however im sure hakeev doesnt come with an e, that is all on that end.

as for the fearless, because K'Mec is a klingon she names the ship after how fearless klingons are in battle and i certainly dont know whoever you are going on about.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Cool idea OP, however

this could get messy. One of my alts already is the mirror counterpart of my main. What's in for him? :)

A double goatee for your mirror guy's nemesis. :D
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Cool idea OP, however

TNG "Parallels" established that there are multiple timelines that have split off from our canon "main" timeline. Why not the same for MU? Lots of mirror fragments? So the eeeevil Terran Empire "mirror" your alt gets as a nemesis is from a different MU than he is.

OTOH, the Nemesis system in CO needs a lot of work. And besides, I only want Nems in here if we can adapt the Bridge Officer system so my superhero can have a sidekick. Spider-Bat needs his Blackbird!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,316 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have never played Champions Online so i cannot comment on its "nemesis" system.

I would like to see an arena of sorts in which the opponent copies your ship, weapons and stats and gets a bonus depending on difficulty level.

It would also be interesting see go against your own build to see where the strength and weaknesses are located.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    TNG "Parallels" established that there are multiple timelines that have split off from our canon "main" timeline. Why not the same for MU? Lots of mirror fragments? So the eeeevil Terran Empire "mirror" your alt gets as a nemesis is from a different MU than he is.
    That's actually a perfectly cromulent explanation. I like it.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    questerius wrote: »
    I have never played Champions Online so i cannot comment on its "nemesis" system.

I would like to see an arena of sorts in which the opponent copies your ship, weapons and stats and gets a bonus depending on difficulty level.

It would also be interesting see go against your own build to see where the strength and weaknesses are located.

One problem with that. Assuming it could copy your build it couldn't copy your play style.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    One of my characters is Caroline Walton (Human Fed science). One of her boffs is her Mirror Universe counterpart Carol (Human Fed tactical). Another is an AI being that modelled its appearance on her, Galatea (Android Fed engineer). She needs the Shard of Possibilities and an alternate (though not Mirror) universe enemy to complete the set.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,316 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    nightken wrote: »
    One problem with that. Assuming it could copy your build it couldn't copy your play style.

Not exactly, but that's actually easily solved.

Divide AI play styles into basic categories based upon your weapon and boff layout.

5+ beam arrays -> BFAW spam
    DHC/turrets -> alpha stryker
    etc.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    More then anything else I have been waiting for Cryptic to do -something- of value with the Mirror Universe, hell, I just returned from a near 2 year hiatus a month ago and was very disappointed to see they still had barely done anything with it other then apparently revamp and from what I see, completely remove the Mirror invasion event.

So yes, very much yes for this idea OP.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I pretend that my free borg science boff (from accolade: assimilated) is the mirror version of me liberated from the mirror universe and the collective
    edited May 2015
    well now, i wouldn't say that..............the TOS mirror episode was genius, and i think the (ducks down) ENT mirror 2 part episode was pretty good too.........
    Long live Empress Hoshi!

(actually she called herself Empress Sato, but who cares. :P And one of the books has it that Empress Sato 3(a clone of the original) was the person Spock assassinated to become Emperor. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It's an interesting idea, and would be fun for a mission or two. But honestly, there are other things like exploration I would rather see them spend their time on.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited May 2015
    It's an interesting idea, and would be fun for a mission or two. But honestly, there are other things like exploration I would rather see them spend their time on.
    Exploring the Mirror Universe? :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing