test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Computer name in Facility 4028

2»

Comments

• dmtdmt Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The in-game name is Inmate Security & Information System. It does not need to change for any reason.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    dpsloss88 wrote: »
    ISIS and ALQEADA were created by the CIA. Even FOX News showed them driving their brand new US built MRAP armored vehicles and all US weapons...

The Iraqis couldn't possibly be trying to take over the current country in the old "used [nationality] rifle for sale, dropped once never fired" joke.

Plus now the MIC gets to sell those things again to replace the ones that were abandoned. It's win-win.

Now the real question is, why haven't the other Middle East countries with armies that boast numbers in the millions curbstomped a group of 20,000?
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • alexhaydenalexhayden Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    OP, perhaps you should keep things in perspective..

You're suggesting that Cryptic amends the name of the computer that plays a small part within a single episode within a story arc within the entire mmorpg that is Star Trek Online.

An episode that most of us have played through with our main characters or our alts or our Delta recruits if not once then several times since the rise of Islamic State.

An episode which I've played several times, and until I started reading your thread this afternoon (UK) had completely forgotten the name of the computer, such is it's relevance.

Point is, while I understand your reaction (we all know enough about Islamic State's horrific acts courtesy of our respective medias to even attempt to list here) it is just that - a reaction. One that veers close to the territory marked "blowing things out of proportion".

Take a step back and look again. Hopefully you'll see what I'm trying to say.
  • ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Trivia note: The swastika wasn't just used in Swahili culture, but also in Native American (for the latter, see some of their handwoven rugs from the 19th Century) ... and, I think, prior to World War 1 by the Girl Scouts of America (I'm going by memory here; I may not be 100% correct). Up until the 1930s, it was seen as a good luck symbol. You can also see something like it on ancient Greek temples, one long horizontal series of these symbols one after the other all the way around on the level above the columns.

It is not really "stygmatised" per se, but in conjunction with other TRIBBLE symbols. It just haven't been used as diffusely in the western culture to have its own "identity" prior to the TRIBBLE era, and it doesn't have any other significant meaning in the west. It might have been used as a geometric motive without any special meaning. The Swahili and Native American culture, pre-war and up to the Sixties were probably regarded as "a (former) slave's thing" and "a silly red guy we moved into the zoo's thing", of marginal importance or as a curiosity.

Ancient Egypt (and its deities, like Isis) have been studied diffusely since the Napoleonic era, while its more Hellenistic aspects (late/tholemaic Egypt) revival dates back to the Renaissance.

EDIT: ok, i'm trying to keep some kind of serious discussion on the same thread where someone else is shooting conspiration theories about reptilians recruiting CIA agents to arm talibans with chemical trails... i'm backing off :/
    ryuga81.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    alexhayden wrote: »
    OP, perhaps you should keep things in perspective..

You're suggesting that Cryptic amends the name of the computer that plays a small part within a single episode within a story arc with the entire mmorpg that is Star Trek Online.

An episode that most of us have played through with our main characters or our alts or our Delta recruits if not once then several times since the rise of Islamic State.

An episode which I've played several times, and until I started reading your thread this afternoon (UK) had completely forgotten the name of the computer, such is it's relevance.

Point is, while I understand your reaction (we all know enough about Islamic State's horrific acts courtesy of our respective medias to list here) it is just that - a reaction. One that veers close to the territory marked "blowing things out of proportion".

Take a step back and look again. Hopefully you'll see what I'm trying to say.
    also ISIS isn't the proper name of the terrorist group anyways... It's something used primarily by news people to sound cool.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So if terrorists name their next organization "star trek" should we change the name of the game. How about if they name it coca cola, should we destroy a legendary brand? Maybe they should call it USA...or they could call it the Washington Redskins.

The terrorists never have to fire a shot, they can just keep changing their organization's names and we'll destroy ourselves.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    But this ISIS is a good Isis...its helping hold terrorists...and prevent terror...not causing it!

In seriousness why? It was here before ISIS became a big thing and like others have pointed out the name Isis was used long LONG before they started using it.
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Given current affairs I think this should be renamed...

This is exactly what we should NOT do.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    English is not my first language and to me ISIS is only the name of an Egyptian goddess. The name for the terrorist group is different in almost every language.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Cryptic should really just go with the Michael Bolton approach.

"Why should we be the ones to change the name of the computer? They're the ones that suck!"
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    iconians wrote: »

"Why should we be the ones to change the name of the computer? They're the ones that suck!"

I will have to watch that movie again :)
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Given current affairs, I think it would be not only silly, but also stupid to change the name.

Especially since there is no relation.. at all to current affairs.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The real world a-holes in question don't even call themselves ISIS. That's just an English language press' translation of what they call themselves.
  • rikwesselsrikwessels Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    the world meteorological organsation , WMO, removed the name Isis for hurricane -names because of the " stigma" and that's just as ludicrous ( there was a hurricane named Ira in 1993 , nice for folks in N-Ireland , you can go on and on )

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/04/17/isis-removed-from-list-of-potential-hurricane-names-odile-retired/

Isis was and is one of most important deities in Egypt ( there was no Islam back then or Christianity ) ...you should never change a name because someone , somewhere "might be offended " . If anything , that's playing by terrorists' rules because they want to be only ones associated with that ancient and sacred name ... we surely don't want to give them that satisfaction .
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    chalpen wrote: »
    The most important Egyptian diety was Sirius, hands down. It could kick Isis's in any fight

*Osiris. The star Sirius was named Sopdet by the Egyptians, and the star itself was associated with Isis, not Osiris.
    boldly-watched.png
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Michael Bolton the musician, or John Bolton the former UN Ambassador?
    boldly-watched.png
  • jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think you took this thread a little too seriously...

After all I did suggest they change the name from 'Inmate Security and Information System' to 'Prisoner Information and Security System'.

When you consider the acronym of the suggestion you understand the tone in which this thread was meant to be taken...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • dmtdmt Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Really?

Every post you've made on this thread, with the exception of the name change, suggests you are serious.

Bit late to tell us that this is a joke now.
  • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ... snip ...

I am just saying ISIS terminal this and ISIS terminal that made me feel uncomfortable. It's only a game and renaming the computer isn't that much effort.

Wow, just,... wow. Do you mean to tell me that an insignificant name in a a video GAME, that happens to be similar to a RL terrorist organization, even though the game name PREDATES the terrorist group, makes you "uncomfortable"?

A clear case of political correctness taken to ridiculous extremes,...

This, so much this!
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    terrorists ??? they can all go and kiss my *content removed to comply with the forum TOS*
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    edited May 2015

OMG yes! So very well put.
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Given current affairs I think this should be renamed...
    No, it shouldn't. It has nothing to do with current affairs.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited May 2015

After all I did suggest they change the name from 'Inmate Security and Information System' to 'Prisoner Information and Security System'.

When you consider the acronym of the suggestion you understand the tone in which this thread was meant to be taken...

Ah, trolling.

You might want to read the TOS in case the mods aren't in a forgiving mood next time.

Also, have you considered that you trolling might make someone feel uncomfortable, as a trigger to past identity threat events or self-worth actualization suppression? *

* terms might or might not have been made up on the spot.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jbmonroe wrote: »
    Michael Bolton the musician, or John Bolton the former UN Ambassador?

Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2015

thats your problem, you should of realized before you started the thread that not everyone is going to agree with the idea. doesnt matter what your intent was nor what you were expecting.

you got an answer, accept it or dont...
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    edited May 2015
    This again? Hasn't this subject been beaten to death already?

Why stop at something in a game that isn't even related to that group? Why not demand the Ancient Egyptians change the name of the goddess Isis to keep from being confused for the 21st Century terrorist group?

They're not going to change the name of one thing in the game because A: they named it before that group was even known about, B: it would mean having to record new voice overs which cost money, and C: Why should they even bother when there is absolutely no connection between the two. Its a COINCIDENCE.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Captains,

This entire thread borders very closely to a discussion of politics... or at least world events... with some religion thrown in...

So I am closing the thread per forum rules as being off-topic.

If you feel strongly that the name should be changed due to being offensive, I would suggest opening a ticket with customer service.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
This discussion has been closed.