Install Arc
Options

Retiring Lohlunat Pearls

Comments

• Options
    gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    darleath wrote: »
    Coming next: All toons reset to Lv1, no specialization points, no reputation level, all gear destroyed. Because we need to be all on equal footing with the new guy making a brand new account.
    Oh, and Zen Store closing down, so you loose all your things. The new "Z$n" Store will have the same things, but you will have to buy them anew!

All in the benefict of equality!

There is a reason for me doing little else than logging, doffing, scheduling the rep and R+D projects and maybe doing an STF. After all, I can cash on my "limitless" amount of previously earned Iconian marks.
    Like the Lolhunat pearls I saved from previous years, yeah, they never run out.

hmmm.... good point. Sad thing is wouldn't be surprised if this actually happened.
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    stararmy wrote: »
    Stop flaming. He made the claim that full-time workers wouldn't be able to participate in the event successfully. I used myself as an example to show that his claim was untrue. Running a race is much less commitment than the grinding for spec points, rep, or crafting mats that are required for endgame.

Truth stings doesn't it? It's good to know that I was right... otherwise if I were wrong... why give a ****?
    signature.png
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Gotta echo a couple other players in here. Does it really matter that much when we earn our seasonal currencies?

Chances are, these changes will actually cause players to play less of the content each year.

Even if a player didn't want this year's ship, they'd probably still show up a handful of days to collect pearls in prep for next year. Now, if I don't want the ship, there's not a whole lot of point in me showing up on Risa at all.

Plus, sure a lot of players might get the ship on day 1 of the event. Is that such a bad thing? It showcases the ship right out of the gate, and showcases it for other players. When one player has a new shiny and shows it off, other players are more likely to think, "oh, I want that too." Now the 'free advertising' for the ship is gone.

Final point is that, even though a player might get the new ship on day 1, chances are they're still going to show up for the event and collect more pearls in prep for the next year.

This is a poor move, I really don't understand the point of it. I'm usually on board with a lot of Cryptic's decisions - even when I particularly don't like a given decision, I can understand the reasoning behind it. This one doesn't seem to make any sense at all, though...
  • Options
    stararmystararmy Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    bjornfried wrote: »
    Well if you dont have another life besides working!? Which makes your statement even sader realy.
    I'm just saying that if you have enough time to play STO (in general), you got enough time to jet around the Risa volcano for 5 minutes.

Funny thought: I bet they could make the summer participation more by making swimsuits wearable in some other locations.
    Zinc: The universe of Star Trek Online is shaped and changed by the actions of the players...expect to see new planets and races discovered that were unknown the last time you logged in."
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I'm just saying that if you have enough time to play STO (in general), you got enough time to jet around the Risa volcano for 5 minutes.

Yet 5 minutes won't do much for metrics which would undermine their decision to change everything in the first place. Oh wait! I'm sorry :( How inconsiderate of me. This is about equality NOT metrics so I guess I should just walk over here now. :rolleyes:
    signature.png
  • Options
    talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Wow. Further evidence that the decision makers at cryptic really DO enjoy pissing people off and are actively trying to drive people away from this game. So what if people took extra time to grind out pearls after getting the ship so they could have a head start for the next event? We spent the same amount of time as we would otherwise, so what is the problem?

Crytpic's mantra: We don't care what you want, we want you to grind so grind you shall.

Crytpic's new and improved mantra: You did extra grinding while you had time for it? This will not do! You will not only grind but you will only grind when WE want you to, any extra will be punished.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    To the primary complainers:

Did you ever stop to think, if even for a second, that for this "problem" to even exist, you would have had to grind at least 90% of every previous possible opportunity to acquire said pearls?

Instead of the 62.5% of the time they "required" you to do so?

In some ways, it is "blatantly obvious" that the "minigame" required to get these pearls is of such an unobtrusive, minimalist, easy and fun to do, sunshiny and flowery, "best activity ever", etc. etc. nature that people are freely going way above and beyond the requisites.

On such a note, one would expect that said players are all geared up and eagerly awaiting their chance to partake of said "best ever" activity 37, 38, or even 40 more times in the upcoming event.

With such expectations in place, what, exactly, are you going to do with your stockpile of up to 1800 pearls - the amount of pearls a player would have after going 40 of 40 for three years after having bought all three ships?

So, Cryptic is actually giving you something to do with this "stockpile". To the tune of 5x "free" specialization points for "one ship's worth" of pearls. Or wads and wads of Elite level R&D packs, imagine how many of them fancy salvages necessary for the experimental upgrade books you can own / flood the exchange with. Or early access to fancy emotes. Or free trips to Mk XIV current rarity books.

And, they'll watch you partake of the "best ever event activity" with such enthusiasm again, and know that before the event is 2/3rds over you'll still have your shiny starship.

Meanwhile, the whales who are paying arms and legs for the lobi crystals to "buy" these ships on day 1 are going to, again, be the only ones who have the ship prior to day 20 or so (for the really OCD types who game the 20 hour trick) and get their "temporary whaledom proof window" again...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Well doesn't this just kick you while you're down? CE shards from previous events, Winter items... Why not just unlock the stores for the Deltas so we can get the things the mains are already able to get in the stores?

Retiring the ships on top? What about the Breen ones? Or is it too early to worry about Winter?
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • Options
    dreaper1985dreaper1985 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Watch everything coming soon have an experation date the marks, elite que rewards, crafting mats, equipment only good for a month, DIL expires after 2 weeks well there it is thier next move guy.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    battykoda0 wrote: »
    Well doesn't this just kick you while you're down? CE shards from previous events, Winter items... Why not just unlock the stores for the Deltas so we can get the things the mains are already able to get in the stores?

Retiring the ships on top? What about the Breen ones? Or is it too early to worry about Winter?

Ain't that a kick in the head...
    signature.png
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I generally think, apart from a few hiccups, that the game tends toward better with each update.

This change? Big hiccup. Cutting off options for new players - and for alts of existing players (like the Recruits that we all just made) - is not a good idea. My Recruit is my new main, and I love her to pieces... but she badly needs the Breen carrier's ship trait for her Command Cruiser. If she can't ever get the carrier, that'll be really unpleasant for her.

I get wanting people to do the event when the event happens. That actually makes a ton of sense to me. I get not wanting people to be able to jump into the new event ship on day 1 for free. That also makes sense. Cutting off the older ships?

That doesn't.
  • Options
    dreaper1985dreaper1985 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    battykoda0 wrote: »

No it is not as this is mostlikely talked about between jokedevs round table and will be happening to all event because of NOOBS crying ITS NOT FAIR WHY DOES HE HAVE THE SHIP BEFORE ME
  • Options
    jarekcyphusjarekcyphus Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Stop flaming. He made the claim that full-time workers wouldn't be able to participate in the event successfully. I used myself as an example to show that his claim was untrue. Running a race is much less commitment than the grinding for spec points, rep, or crafting mats that are required for endgame.

And what of us who work full time, go to school part time, and have miltary reserve commitments that often amp up during the summer months? Nevermind that we have fitness to keep up, mouths to feed, dogs to walk, and houses that need kept clean. For a lot of us, that leaves less than an hour per night to play, for a grindfest advertised as "fun."

This is just another example. Like yours. Neither of us speak for all the 9 to 5'ers that play STO, but when an endgame's bleeding edge favors the marathon powergamer (and this isn't the only game that does), equity is shot in the face. I think that's the point a lot of folks are driving home, lately. Treadmills aren't fun.

Neither is being pigeonholed into a singular reward choice. Cryptic can do better. They simply refuse to.
    STO-sig3.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    nadiezja wrote: »

I get wanting people to do the event when the event happens. That actually makes a ton of sense to me. I get not wanting people to be able to jump into the new event ship on day 1 for free. That also makes sense. Cutting off the older ships?

That doesn't.

Agree 100%.
    STO-sig3.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    And what of us who work full time, go to school part time, and have miltary reserve commitments that often amp up during the summer months? Nevermind that we have fitness to keep up, mouths to feed, dogs to walk, and houses that need kept clean. For a lot of us, that leaves less than an hour per night to play, for a grindfest advertised as "fun."

This is just another example. Like yours. Neither of us speak for all the 9 to 5'ers that play STO, but when an endgame's bleeding edge favors the marathon powergamer (and this isn't the only game that does), equity is shot in the face. I think that's the point a lot of folks are driving home, lately. Treadmills aren't fun.

Neither is being pigeonholed into a singular reward choice. Cryptic can do better. They simply refuse to.

I agree... although I don't know if they are refusing to or if they are just that stupid. But the result is unfortunate nonetheless.
    signature.png
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    dareau wrote: »
    And, they'll watch you partake of the "best ever event activity" with such enthusiasm again, and know that before the event is 2/3rds over you'll still have your shiny starship.

Why bother with "ethusiasm" this time ... just do "Flying High" 25x times + 1x on each Alt ... then "please GTFO of Risa" ... "You're still here on Day 26 ? ... why ? ..."

PS : I think your Argument fell vicitim to the whole "If you're complaining, you must HATE the game" ... but maybe some people are complaining, because they would actually want to spend more time, playing the game (for Rewards if possible) ... I know silly ... how dare they ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    darleathdarleath Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    dareau wrote: »
    To the primary complainers:

Did you ever stop to think, if even for a second, that for this "problem" to even exist, you would have had to grind at least 90% of every previous possible opportunity to acquire said pearls?

Instead of the 62.5% of the time they "required" you to do so?

In some ways, it is "blatantly obvious" that the "minigame" required to get these pearls is of such an unobtrusive, minimalist, easy and fun to do, sunshiny and flowery, "best activity ever", etc. etc. nature that people are freely going way above and beyond the requisites.

On such a note, one would expect that said players are all geared up and eagerly awaiting their chance to partake of said "best ever" activity 37, 38, or even 40 more times in the upcoming event.

With such expectations in place, what, exactly, are you going to do with your stockpile of up to 1800 pearls - the amount of pearls a player would have after going 40 of 40 for three years after having bought all three ships?

So, Cryptic is actually giving you something to do with this "stockpile". To the tune of 5x "free" specialization points for "one ship's worth" of pearls. Or wads and wads of Elite level R&D packs, imagine how many of them fancy salvages necessary for the experimental upgrade books you can own / flood the exchange with. Or early access to fancy emotes. Or free trips to Mk XIV current rarity books.

Meanwhile, the whales who are paying arms and legs for the lobi crystals to "buy" these ships on day 1 are going to, again, be the only ones who have the ship prior to day 20 or so (for the really OCD types who game the 20 hour trick) and get their "temporary whaledom proof window" again...

The "problem" is the alter-discount. Explanation:

I do farm 2020 pearls between two of my chars => I can buy this summer's ship and save 1000 pearls for next summer. Should I have more toons, I only need to add +20 pearls to that amount (each set on a different toon). This way, I can have the shiny new ship on day 1 the next year with all my alters.
    Of course, I still need to farm ANOTHER 1000 pearls for repeating the process next year, and if I want one of the old ships I did not have time to grind for, 1000 more pearls.

The indignation is, essentially, that Cryptic wants people using the ship on day 1 to have bought pearls with Lobi crystals, thus expending Zen and giving them money. Which is so blatantly stupid on their part, it pisses almost everybody.

Because the easiest solutions would have been to let us spend the pearls this year, with the forewarn they would be wiped for next year (or changed), or blocking the completion of the ship (without a Lobi-bought token that would also give X pearls) until 21 days of the start of the event.
    Instead, they say, less than 2 months before of the starting of the event, that the old currency is no longer valid.

While there are no law in STO but the one the devs make, no one is forced to remain here, or to pay any single dollar more.
    Which, considering the relationship between dilithium and Zen in the exchange, means a lot of people is doing already.
  • Options
    highlandrisehighlandrise Member Posts: 354 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
  • Options
    edited May 2015

LOL I actually like that song!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I agree... although I don't know if they are refusing to or if they are just that stupid. But the result is unfortunate nonetheless.

Hey, if I were in PWRD's shoes, I'd be looking at their stock shares, versus that of their rivals at TYO (Square Enix), which with only two MMOs, vastly outgross them in holdings. Hell Square's holdings have skyrocketed in the years since FFXIV:ARR released. Just look at their TYO market trends.

You know how you do that?

Listen to your customers.

PWRD's knee jerk stock activity looks like a basketball in Harlem over the past 5 years. They used to be a $40 company in 2009. Now they're sub $20, running studios into the ground with their craptastic decisions, the same as LucasArts did to SOE to bodyslam Star Wars Galaxies into oblivion all those years ago.

I'm noticing a trend, here, and it's ugly. I'd like to say I could threaten Cryptic with my wallet and walk away, but that Lifetime sub paid itself off years ago. So the best I can do is at least try and fight for the little guy, even if it falls on deaf ears.
    STO-sig3.jpg~original
  • Options
    cdiakcdiak Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    Ok. . .

The bad...

You left one off your list, the one that should have come first. Unless you are retiring Lobi, too:

This is just another way to get rich players to buy keys to get Lobi, and they can still finish the project on Day 1, because Lobi always can buy whatever weird currency to complete the project.

I'm with all the other complainers. Cryptic goes too far. Every new BS change pushes players farther. Now, everybody knows you're a business. There's not usually a complaint about you needing to make money. The complaint is that you need to offer something of value, not just more and more grinding (oh, but there's a way to buy your way clear!), to make more money.

The analogy is not perfect but here it is: Rent seeking.

You add nothing of value to the service you provide, yet charge more and more for it.
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    cdiak wrote: »
    The analogy is not perfect but here it is: Rent seeking.

You add nothing of value to the service you provide, yet charge more and more for it.

Very true. This adds nothing to the game, and provides very little value-added to the players.

It only removes - removes rewards, removes value for previous time spent. It discourages players from remaining on Risa after they've gotten the seasonal currency. And where a player has no interest in this year's ship, there is zero incentive to play on Risa, whereas before you could go ahead and stockpile for next year's ship.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015

That is a gross oversimplification of the issue.

The problem with all of these seasonal events is that you have a limited timeframe in which to log in at least once a day. If for whatever reason you can't log in on enough days, you lose. With this change, that means you've wasted your time (if the ship is the only goal).

The other issue is that your character needs to be in a certain location in order to participate. Which involves either flying back and forth (takes time) or you're parking your characters at the event door for the entire event and not playing anything else.

It's not just "5 minutes". It's time to log in, time to get to the event, time to complete the event. Assuming you do nothing else, it's still more than 5 minutes.

I agree... for a single character, it's not a terribly long time commitment IF you're free to log in on any particular day. Speaking as a family man, that's not a safe assumption.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek

And I don't know about the Engi ship but I got a lot of mileage out of the Corvette as a T5U waiting for a ship I liked in T6 for my alts. It's not a shabby boat. It can hold its own pretty well. I hope the new rookie ship to take its spot is a T6 Corvette with a trait like the Breen Carrier but I would hope they give a summer Science ship before they start the clock over at an Escort-ish one. With the announcement of no new KDF Science ships, these events are as good as it's going to get and the Risiaan event is due the Science, not a restart.

I think this mule is going to kick me in the head time and again. I'm forever trapped at T5U Science as a KDF if they are going to start retiring all event ships. Maybe it's about time to just hang up the disruptor and pass the bridge to a new player. You've done sold the floor out from under me as a KDF Science and somehow you find a way to make it worse. At least my Delta is a KDF Romulan and you said there might be a Science for it.
  • Options
    ak255ak255 Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Why are you retiring the Risian Lohlunat Pearls?

We want to maintain the exclusivity and collectability of the event ships from the Summer Event each year, and in order to do that we will be retiring the existing Risian Lohlunat Pearls. When the 2015 Summer Event begins, an entirely new currency will be needed to acquire the event starship. This will be the process going forward – a new item to be collected each year.

Our goal for this change is to ensure that everyone participates on equal footing for the release of each year's new ship.

~LaughingTrendy

What a bunch of BS! How is doing the same damn repetitive daily mission of flying around with a jetpack in 2015 different from when I did it in 2014!? So what if I get the ship earlier than everyone else, that was my choice to do the mission every day even after I got the pearls needed and just wanted to save up until next year!

The devs just want an excuse to TRIBBLE people off and possibly increase the chances of people spending money in the game to buy keys to get Lobi to spend on whatever the new item required is!
This discussion has been closed.