test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

SS3 [Pen] vs [CrtD]?

senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Would like it if someone could weigh in on which is most beneficial for a Surgical Strikes 3 build
[CrtD]x2 [Pen] or [CrtD]x3? [CrtD]x3 [Pen] or [CrtD]x4?
Post edited by senatorvreenak on

Comments

• Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Would like it if someone could weigh in on which is most beneficial for a Surgical Strikes 3 build
    [CrtD]x2 [Pen] or [CrtD]x3? [CrtD]x3 [Pen] or [CrtD]x4?

IMO, the [crtd]x4 considering the huge boost to [crth], that SS3 grants to you.

Otherwise, the [pen] mod might be slightly more preferred, when under normal un-buffed fire conditions occur but, this is also relevant to what your normalized [crth] sits at as well.

Just my 2 EC's.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    In a team full of Recluses spewing APB3 I would bet on [pen] since you have resistance debuff stacking which is a logarithmic debuff I believe.
  • Options
    thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    dpsloss88 wrote: »
    In a team full of Recluses spewing APB3 I would bet on [pen] since you have resistance debuff stacking which is a logarithmic debuff I believe.

No.

Nonlinear, yes.

You may be thinking "Richter Scale" or "Warp Factor".

And the answer is....If you're just concerned with burst damage and blasting down shields when using SS and nothing else, you take the CritD.
    And that's concerning knocking down the shields as a prelude to destroying the hull...and nothing else.

Otherwise, it's a really close call. Ignoring ten rating should give you about a five percent decrease in resistance on the hull. But that's only to hull. And it's entirely dependent on where your target happens to be on the rating scale. The higher they are, the less effect your Pen has. The lower they are, the greater effect your Pen has. But only on hull.

So the straight up CritD will do more shield damage as long as your opponent has shields. But not more bleed damage. This is working with only a five percent decrease in resistance due to Pen. Because we flat out don't know what you're shooting at. So we guess.

And suppose your crit chance is zero outside of SS? It isn't, but suppose it was. Overall damage becomes very dire for the D build. At a ten percent critical chance a five percent reduction in resistance would yield greater bleed damage. And the same is true at fifteen percent critical chance. Actually it's true at 50 percent chance as well, but lets look at fifteen percent chance as that's not an absurd number for most players to hit.

Its weird. The D build will knock down 100k worth of shields in only slightly fewer hits than the Pen build does.

The Pen build will wipe out 42k worth of hull through the shields in fewer hits than the D build will.

Once the shields are gone pen is just better. Most likely. Using that five percent figure (that's really erring on the side of caution). But say in PVP, or even in the case where the NPC has shields and it ISN'T a huge health sponge the D will get the job done faster.

If the target does have a large shield cap AND has a huge health pool you may consider that the Pen may be the better call as Pen performs better once the shields are down and will quickly make up the lead the D build gained due to the D build landing shots on bare hull first.

But really you need to know your profile, and the profile of your target.

Peace and stuff.