test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

400+ pages Foundry-Manual for newbies and professionals (german)

Hello international community,

I know, the topic of this thread seems a little bit strange, 'cause it's a german manual, but I know, that some people from other countries can speak german and I think it is possible that someone - not me, my english sucks - would translate it. And if not, google-translate sucks, but it can help.

But now the real topic:
The german author "benalexander" has made a very big and heavylie(?) detailed manual to the foundry, structured in four parts:
Part 1: An introduction for new authors. From the first opening the foundry to the publishing of the first mission, you can see every step. It should help Foundry-newbies there first steps.

Part 2: An systematic explanation from all possible settings in the foundry. From missiongoals over mapdesign, dialogs and costumes within to triggers.

Part 3: Tipps, tricks and advanced Foudnry-technics: Sidemissions, custom interiors, teleport, timers, "mapchanges" without an loadscreen (space and ground) and much more

Following: An pictures list from all indoor- and outdoormap-backdrops to help with the pre-selection.

It has 472 pages (version 1.2 from 04-12-2015) and much pictures.

I think it is this good, that it would be a shame, if only we few germans would have it, so, here you have it:
>>downloadlink<< (63 MB)
>>Link to the german Thread<<

Greetings from the german forenmoderator
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lorne12lorne12 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I heard you guys from the foundry roundtable are playing with the thought, to create a manual. :D

P.S. And benalexander also explains NPC Beaming

*cower and run*
    You read an lorne12™ post

bZVIEMl.jpg
  • agarwaencranagarwaencran Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    lorne12 wrote: »
    I heard you guys from the foundry roundtable are playing with thought, to create a manual. :D

P.S. And benalexander also explains NPC Beaming

*cower and run*

bad boy. baaad boy. *throws a meat eating tribble*
  • johnnysnowballjohnnysnowball Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Ok i ran a bit of it through google translate and if someone did the whole thing would it be worth it? Would it require so much editing it may as well be written from scratch?

This point is more important than all the rest together! The Foundry sometimes behaves a bit

"Unruly". When loading Maps, problems with the server or it can crash bugs

the whole program come. Although this happens very rarely and there is also a

automatic recovery when you leave the foundry without saving, but it

should not rely blindly you look. So, if an important part of their own mission

has been completed, should definitely be saved. The same applies before significant

Changes to a mission carried out in which it may come to problems

could. If necessary you can simply leave the Foundry and the last save

continue the mission.

7. The second map (on the planet)

The Klingons must naturally be repulsed not only in space but also on

the planet. For this you need another card. Clicking on

leads to the known menu to select a new map:

In field (1), the card name must be entered again. Field (2) has three options:

"Space", "outdoor" and "indoor". The search screen (4) also enables a particular map

find quickly or all of the cards with a specific name element (eg "desert") to list

Space maps should already be known now. The counterpart to this is the "Ground Maps", the

strictly speaking, does not exist. There are only "indoor" and "outdoor" maps. Both have many

Similarities: There are essentially the same objects and NPCs available and the

Operation is almost identical. Unlike Space maps, on which the player in its

Spacecraft is on its way, he controls on indoor and outdoor maps but his captain.

The important difference between indoor and outdoor maps is that outdoor maps a

Represent landscape or city under the open sky. However, Indoor Maps consist of rooms,

which represent the interior of a cave, a building, a station or a ship. For the

Players it is basically impossible to leave these rooms. Also, the author can also

add new rooms.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    A proper translation would be at least one step short of that so... no. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited April 2015
    No it's not worth translating it at all?
    edited April 2015
    no it wouldn't need to be completely rewritten....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ....I might ....have run it all through.....
    I might....have at least an initial cleanup through page 16....
    edited April 2015
    Ok, there's no point me carrying on then we don't need multiples flying around
    edited April 2015
    Ill take help trying to beat this monster into submission though :)
  • benalexanderbenalexander Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hello, my dear English-speaking fellows.

I am the author the this monstrosity of a PDF, that brings Google to its knees. Since you are thinking about a translation, I have to say, the test, johnnysnowball performed, went horribly, horribly wrong. I expected a bad translation but this... I can assure you, it sounds much better in German. It seems, Goggle even changed the meaning of some sentences to the complete opposite.

I originally wrote this manual for the German foundry community, since tutorials and guides were quite rare back then. But you guys have StarbaseUGC with more tutorials than the German community could ever dream of. And translating the manual would be quite a lot of work: 80.000 words, more than a thousand pictures and images. So, do you really want and need yet another guide?

If so, I would be willing to take care of a translation, since I still have the original documents, pictures and missions. Besides, from an author's perspective, it just feels wrong to put my “baby” through Google translator, seeing it torn apart and suffering from bad translation algorithms. Although English is not my native language, I can speak (and write) what some people refer to as “foreign English” and learned much more watching English or American TV shows than I did in school. But I would do my best. It probably would take some time and I would most likely require your help, especially with English “foundry terminology”. Also, it would be extremely helpful, if a native English speaker could proofread the first draft. But I think, it could be done.

Greetings and “Sorry for bad English”

benalexander
    edited April 2015
    Google and Bing translators are something I use more for the vocabulary than trying to get a full translation. they make an effort to use context but fail horribly at it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited May 2015
    Hello, my dear English-speaking fellows.

... it just feels wrong to put my “baby” through Google translator, seeing it torn apart and suffering from bad translation...
    Greetings and “Sorry for bad English”

benalexander

Well, I can certainly understand this (And your English was absolutely top notch). I know Cast is working on it, but if the author prefers to do that work on his 'baby', i wouldn't step on his toes myself.

Also, to Cast, i offered to do the images but... whoa. 1000+... might be a bit heavy.

Also, to benalexander: Have you considered renaming your handbook 'The Lord of the Foundry'? It's..... epic.
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited May 2015
    I think this will be a great resource for the English-speaking community, however we get it translated. Beats building a second one, and I know when Cast was looking at it, he was impressed. Let us know if you need any assistance.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
    edited May 2015
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    I think this will be a great resource for the English-speaking community, however we get it translated. Beats building a second one, and I know when Cast was looking at it, he was impressed. Let us know if you need any assistance.

Here, here.
    Any problems, just ask us, benalexander.
    edited May 2015
    yeah and I was looking over the google translation of it... What I was doing was basically reparsing what GT output into...well english so what I wrote up so far is basically the same intent., just in corrected english. I would certainly be willing to work with you on it, I know looking at the full 400 pages (though just the text seems to be about half that size roughly) I would be all for it. As it stands there were some sentences that I came across that were just way too broken in the translation to put together legibly
    edited May 2015
    Thank you very much.

I had some time on my hands, so I started translating. Just to see, how long it would take. I still have to replace some the images and screenshots. But it went much faster than I'd expected, so I kept going. Part One, the introduction for new authors (about 50 pages) is basically done... well, let's call it an alpha version, since Open office screwed up my formatting. I let you know, as soon as there is something presentable.

Greetings

benalexander
    edited May 2015
    Thank you very much.

I had some time on my hands, so I started translating. Just to see, how long it would take. I still have to replace some the images and screenshots. But it went much faster than I'd expected, so I kept going. Part One, the introduction for new authors (about 50 pages) is basically done... well, let's call it an alpha version, since Open office screwed up my formatting. I let you know, as soon as there is something presentable.

Greetings

benalexander

Thank you for your efforts. Wir sind dankbar.
  • farnihrfarnihr Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Oh, why do I have polandballs in my head right now? ^^

Wait, I can do that!

For a little smile while waiting for the activating of the Editor. :)

polandballstonmb296ed0t.png
    German STO-Forum-Mod

Der Mod spielt
    It's time for war, it's time for blood, it's time for tea.
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Deutsche Qualit
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Bahaha I love polandball
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
    edited May 2015
    Hello everyone,

I've continued translating the manual. Right now, I'm working on Part Two, but I want to show you a first draft of Part One (Introduction for Beginners). I think it wouldn't hurt to get some feedback early on. By the way: Since the editor is still offline, I couldn't replace all the images and screenshots.

If you find mistakes (you probably will) or have an idea to improve the manual, please let me know.

>> Download Link << (1,22 MB)

Greetings

benalexander
  • rogue6800rogue6800 Member Posts: 213 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Fantastic, can't wait for part two. I've read through and the English is perfect, most of images should be fine at they are in my opinion, I can tell where all of the controls are without translating.

I'm really itching to get hold of some of the tips and tricks! :D

Good Job! And thank you.
  • lorne12lorne12 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    I'am really looking forward to the expansion of the manual. Especially now, when the editor is no longer pixelated.
    You read an lorne12™ post

bZVIEMl.jpg
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Hello everyone,

I've continued translating the manual. Right now, I'm working on Part Two, but I want to show you a first draft of Part One (Introduction for Beginners). I think it wouldn't hurt to get some feedback early on. By the way: Since the editor is still offline, I couldn't replace all the images and screenshots.

...Thank you! I've spent the last week basically educating myself up to where the english translation ends but its so useful to have a hard copy of "how to do the simple things." It would be nice if we could get an update for the new sector block system, though. I'm still a bit worried about making sure my mission entry point's going to be at the right star system (but I don't imagine it works any differently now in practice, I'm just not absolutely certain of my settings.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!