test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Diminishing Returns On Skill Tree

e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
edited April 2015 in The Academy
I'm trying to balance out my skill tree. Is there a table out there that shows how much gain is it per level on skills such as Particle Generators, Inertial Dampeners, Flow Capacitors, Engine Performance, etc?

I found this but it doesn't offer actual numbers on the stat, just how much leveling those skills affect actual abilities. I know there is a diminishing return as levels go up so I'd like to know by how much.

Thanks so much!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    e30ernest wrote: »
    I'm trying to balance out my skill tree. Is there a table out there that shows how much gain is it per level on skills such as Particle Generators, Inertial Dampeners, Flow Capacitors, Engine Performance, etc?

I found this but it doesn't offer actual numbers on the stat, just how much leveling those skills affect actual abilities. I know there is a diminishing return as levels go up so I'd like to know by how much.

Thanks so much!

A basic run down under any system in the tree you will notice around 50% of a given stat is putting 3 points into it. Once you go above 3 thats where you gradually see those diminishing returns. What I will do in most specs is take everything *needed* not wanted but needed at 3 then gradually go up to things that separate the specs apart from others. In most cases though 3 is all you need and then with the highest tier like admiral/general even one point along with whatever your gear stats are can be a pivotal difference in your setups.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Just keep in mind that the lowier the 'tier' of the skill the less points it takes to increase the skill.

For example, the first set of skills costs 1000 Skill Points to increase. This is the tier that includes Starship Attack Patterns, Starship Weapons Training, etc.

The highest tier, the last one you unlock takes 3000 skill points to increase.

Because of that, you generally get the most return on your skill points my maxing the lower tier skills since they cost less. You can max out Attack Patterns for 9k total points, but the same 9k only gets you the very first 3 ranks in something like Starship Energy Weapons specialization.

I recommend you take a look at the Skill Planner. Click on the Skills tab and you can play with the skills and plan out your build. It's useful for figuring how you're going to disperse your skills.

I have a link to my main ship build in my Sig, if you wish you can click on that and look at my skills. By no means am I saying mine is 'right' or 'the best,' it's just the skill tree I find most effective. Obviously, you will likely have to adjust mine to fit your build. For example, I have no points in anything Torpedo Related, and I have Flow Capacitors maxed out for my Plasmonic Leech console. That might not suit you, but you can at least see for an example.

If you have questions on a specific skill, fire away! :D
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Thanks!

Yes that much I know. I am really just looking into the figures at this moment to fine-tune what I have.

For example, I am flying a sci-torp ship with exotic damage. I obviously want to max out part gens above or as close to 400 as I can for Particle Manipulator. I'd like to know whether it is worth investing in the final 3 tiers on the skill or to try to gain that somewhere else. Same goes for the other stats so I can decide where to specialize/min/max or gain somewhere else.

I'm down to my last respec token, so I couldn't experiment for myself right now. I do remember seeing information on that somewhere, but I couldn't find it anymore.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Also keep in mind that not all skills are equal in what they do. several of them the last three are more effective than all 9 combined somewhere else.

Attack patterns for anyone ho flies a ship with a commander tactical seat comes to mind. Or flow caps for a drain build. Particle generators for a science ship (doubly so for tactical captains).
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Thanks!

Yes that much I know. I am really just looking into the figures at this moment to fine-tune what I have.

For example, I am flying a sci-torp ship with exotic damage. I obviously want to max out part gens above or as close to 400 as I can for Particle Manipulator. I'd like to know whether it is worth investing in the final 3 tiers on the skill or to try to gain that somewhere else. Same goes for the other stats so I can decide where to specialize/min/max or gain somewhere else.

I'm down to my last respec token, so I couldn't experiment for myself right now. I do remember seeing information on that somewhere, but I couldn't find it anymore.

You want the last three points in particle gen. You can experiment on tribble if you like. Copy your character make the changes and see how it woks before doing it live.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    Flow capacitors and drain.

Energy Siphon:
    I - Drain=9*(1+(0.01*Flow caps))
    II - Drain=12*(1+(0.01*Flow caps))
    III - Drain=15*(1+(0.01*Flow caps))

Target subsystems:
    I - Drain=24*(1+(0.005*Flow caps))
    II - Drain=32*(1+(0.005*Flow caps))
    III - Drain=40*(1+(0.005*Flow caps))

Plasmonic leech (per stack):
    Drain =(Flow caps*0.01)+1

Voth Aceton Field Generator (Palisade console - per tick)
    Drain =5*(1+(0.005*Flow caps))

Polaron's weapons proc:
    Drain = (Flow caps*0.125)+25\

Voth diplomat doff:
    Drain = (Flow caps*0.1)+25

Tetryon Glider shield drain (Omega set 2-piece):
    Shield drain = =16.23*(1+(0.005*Flow caps)
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I know there is a diminishing return as levels go up so I'd like to know by how much.

Going from 23 to 24, an increase of 1, provides the same benefit when going from 249 to 250, with an increase of 1. There are no diminishing returns there.

When you buy Skills in the Skill Window, you receive less Skill per Rank as the Rank increases for the same cost.

Say we were looking at a T1 Skill...

1-3 provides +18 Skill per Rank for 1000 SP per Rank
    4-6 provides +10 Skill per Rank for 1000 SP per Rank
    7-9 provides +5 Skill per Rank for 1000 SP per Rank

Say we were looking at a T5 Skill...

1-3 provides +18 Skill per Rank for 3000 SP per Rank
    4-6 provides +10 Skill per Rank for 3000 SP per Rank
    7-9 provides +5 Skill per Rank for 3000 SP per Rank

The Skill Window is not the only source of Skill for the majority of the available Skills...Skills don't cap at 99, etc, etc, etc.
    edited April 2015
    westmetals wrote: »
    To answer the question very directly... the diminishing returns are right there in that green-yellow-red bar at the top of that spreadsheet. They're not hidden or arcane... in fact, it's so direct and elementary that you're overlooking it.

The skill ranks cost the same amount of points, but the amount of skill points you get are not consistent, and the skill points are what is used in the various calculations.

At 3/9, you have slightly more than half of the points available already, and at 6/9 you have over 80%.

Thanks! So in the example of Particle Generators, does 9/9 mean +99 Particle Generator points? Sorry if I have been over analyzing this, I'm just starting to dive into the finer details of the game. :)
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Thanks! So in the example of Particle Generators, does 9/9 mean +99 Particle Generator points? Sorry if I have been over analyzing this, I'm just starting to dive into the finer details of the game. :)

1/9 = 18
    2/9 = 36
    3/9 = 54
    4/9 = 64
    5/9 = 74
    6/9 = 84
    7/9 = 89
    8/9 = 94
    9/9 = 99

99 is not a cap, just the cap you can buy from the skill window.
    edited April 2015
    Thanks @virusdancer. It seems I've been over thinking those skill bars. I have a tendency to do that. :D

Cheers!