test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Driver Coils!!! Guess respec all Toons to Max?

captainkroncaptainkron Member Posts: 123 Arc User
Season 10 and sector space revamp, guess will be doing a lot of driving? The Transwarp cost to Drozana from ESD was 20,000 EC on Tribble. :rolleyes:

Edit: Yes, adding "Spin the Wheel" mission and clicking transwarp for mission was 20k ec outside ESD. It used to be 500 ec. This is not a complaint thread. LOL I was kinda wondering, what consensus was on points in Driver Coil. I was using a Fleet Excelsior with Fleet Engine and have max diplomacy. With zero points in Coils, I was getting warp 14. :)
CibJ7qu.jpg?1
Post edited by captainkron on

Comments

• lyanaarlyanaar Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Just use some Transwarp to Episode..some are very cheap..like A step between stars, dyson spheres...100ec...or New Romulus...Sphere of Influence..0ec...they also have no timer...

...for now...
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It will be glorious, finally using regular warp and quantum slipstream to traverse the quadrant(s).

The real reason to use transwarp was that you avoided tons of loading screens that way.
    And Transwarp to Drozana? Isn't that a mission transwarp? I don't remember it being a regular transwarp location. Mission transwarp cost depends on the level the mission originally comes available, I believe. Or is the level the sector block came available? (Which means the home sector blocks were always the cheapest.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    meh, I've always been a patient driver....I've never used the mission transwarp option and likely never will no matter how cheap
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Subspace Jump helps with sector space travel. It is just too bad that it requires a Dyson Science Destroyer from the Lobi Store if you didn't get it from the Grindversary last year.
  • imadoctornotaimadoctornota Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I wouldn't spend any skill points on driver coil since it has practically no effect on gameplay.
    Thanks for the expansion that had "as much content as the last"
    9 Episodes = 30+ episodes...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's pronounced "S.T.O." "Stow" sounds idiotic! lol
  • svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Use DSD warp core more sector space travel, it is an awesome feature.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The real reason to use transwarp was that you avoided tons of loading screens that way.

Going to vary by person...but that's not the reason that I'd use mission transwarps or the rest. If anything, on the rare occasion that I'd find myself traveling sector to sector - the "walls" at least kept me near the game. With the change, I'm going to wander off and probably forget that I'm even in the game...after an hour, it will log me out...might help with server load. ;)
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I haven't played tribble so I do not know if transwarp to location in general will cost EC now, but going to drozana costs 20 000 EC on the live server too, depending on your level or mission or something.

Can somebody clear this up for me please? Does the regular transwarp (from the diplomacy thing) to locations like K7, Defera, DS9,... cost EC now too?
    Go pro or go home
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Has really no one else noticed that, with last week's patch, the CD on Quantum Slipstream Drive has already been cut in half to 1 minute only!? (Used to be 2 mins)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    3 or 6 into Driver Coils is more than enough. 6 is really pushing it. Not to mention some gear give Driver Coil bonus also. I have no problems at all with the increased travel time if you actually want to manually travel there. That's probably more Star Trek-like an experience as you cruise along through space. We've been asking for the Sector Space walls to come down since STO launched and it's finally becoming a reality.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Has really no one else noticed that, with last week's patch, the CD on Quantum Slipstream Drive has already been cut in half to 1 minute only!? (Used to be 2 mins)

It's still 2 minutes. You've got a SSR Core...drops it to 1 minute.
    edited April 2015
    baudl wrote: »
    I haven't played tribble so I do not know if transwarp to location in general will cost EC now, but going to drozana costs 20 000 EC on the live server too, depending on your level or mission or something.

Can somebody clear this up for me please? Does the regular transwarp (from the diplomacy thing) to locations like K7, Defera, DS9,... cost EC now too?

Probably talking about the Transwarp to mission feature. If the free transwarp powers started costing money, then there would be more rage on the forums.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    all my toons have 6 points dumped into driver coil anyway, all future toons if i ever get to them will also have 6 points in driver coils regardless. with borg engines your warp speed at base values jumps 4 factors to warp 14, however the driver coil helps your gameplay by making it more easier to get from point a in zeta andromeda sector all the way to new romulus sector and beyond to iconia.

unless your willing to spend minutes ploughing through space in economy mode, otherwise with that driver coil at max with the borg engine, your at warp 21 on a regular basis, so taking a warp core with the driver coil improvement and 6 points is enough to cut clear across the quadrants in half or 3.4 of the time it would take otherwise. gameplay wise, it save you minutes that could be vital one day.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • valianttomevalianttome Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Season 10 and sector space revamp, guess will be doing a lot of driving? The Transwarp cost to Drozana from ESD was 20,000 EC on Tribble. :rolleyes:

Idk..Sometimes I find it nice to set a course and let my ship fly through space. Its some of the few times that I can immerse myself in the Star Trek Universe without having to worry too much about something breaking it for me.

That and beaming to my Bridge for a few minutes.

Now that I think about it. Its kind of sad that flying through sector space and sitting on my thumbs on my bridge is the more enjoyable moments in STO over other more core gameplay moments.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Might see more MACO/Adapted Honor Guard and Borg sets...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • saborethsaboreth Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've got so many transwarp options already that I almost never go coasting through sector space anymore as it is. There's warping to my fleet base for the warp ring to hit other locales, not to mention fleet holdings. I don't know if I'll notice a difference, for my part.... ^_^
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    Probably talking about the Transwarp to mission feature. If the free transwarp powers started costing money, then there would be more rage on the forums.

yeah, thought so too. Well that closes the thread I'd say. OP is simply misinformed.
    Go pro or go home
  • sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    3 or 6 into Driver Coils is more than enough. 6 is really pushing it. Not to mention some gear give Driver Coil bonus also. I have no problems at all with the increased travel time if you actually want to manually travel there.
    I'm in agreement with you, besides if I factor in load screen times between sector blocks and the fact we can't always travel in the most direct route (line of sight, before anyone quotes the fastest point is zero stuff) then the up coming revamp will be a good thing. Hell it might even be a reason to pull my Vesta out of moth balls. Since it was primarily built for farming tour the universe before the fixed it.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• macwilliam1975macwilliam1975 Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited April 2015
  • echelonalphaechelonalpha Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    After all the hard work the artists put into designing the new sector space, I plan on being patient and enjoying a nice cup of tea as I travel between the stars...
    edited April 2015
    sqwished wrote: »
    I'm in agreement with you, besides if I factor in load screen times between sector blocks and the fact we can't always travel in the most direct route (line of sight, before anyone quotes the fastest point is zero stuff) then the up coming revamp will be a good thing. Hell it might even be a reason to pull my Vesta out of moth balls. Since it was primarily built for farming tour the universe before the fixed it.

yeah, I kinda find it funny that most assume that the revamp will result in longer travel times....I would imagine with the loss of load screens and being able to travel in genuine straight lines I would think the reverse would be true...at least for many cases
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    yeah, I kinda find it funny that most assume that the revamp will result in longer travel times....I would imagine with the loss of load screens and being able to travel in genuine straight lines I would think the reverse would be true...at least for many cases

Why would they need to assume anything? its on the test server isnt it?
    edited April 2015
    It's still 2 minutes. You've got a SSR Core...drops it to 1 minute.

Seems you're right. :) Normally I have a [Trans] warp core only, but I recently made the Obelisk Subspace Rift Warp Core Epic (also makes it come with [Trans] now, btw), and it has "50% Recharge time reduction to Slipstream Drive."
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited April 2015

I'm rather skeptical about the revamp myself. There's a reason games like STO, EvE Online, etc, are using limited sector maps: namely, so you don't have to load *everything*, but can only serve maps on a per-need basis. Aka, loading everything scales incredibly badly. With all the lag going on as it is, I keep wondering why they're going this route.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited April 2015

Spacetime is curved so the quickest path between two points in space is a curve not a straight line.
  • hpgibbshpgibbs Member Posts: 395 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Don't forget about fleet engines to get that asynchronous warp field for an average of warp 14
    The Grate Lorde Cheesus
    Ship build coordinator for The Breakfast Club http://WWW.TBCSTO.COM
    Doesn't Owe Anyone EC
    Kirks Prot
  • dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Glad I bought the Excelsior. No upgrade but it still has transwarp.
    edited April 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    Spacetime is curved so the quickest path between two points in space is a curve not a straight line.

uhh...that's a globe :P
  • cypherouscypherous Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Nah, i'm already endgame with all of my characters, they dont even really move anywhere anymore so it wont make any difference to me
  • alex284alex284 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I wouldn't spend any skill points on driver coil since it has practically no effect on gameplay.

Except for full impulse speed, which is important in some missions.

And except for subsystem energy while at full impulse, which reduces recharge time on weapons power when dropping out of full impulse.

The DPS kids put 6-9 points into driver coil. I only put 6 on all my toons. It's a cheap skill with a decent little boost to everything.