test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So... why the obsession with the game "ending" suddenly?

Comments

• crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,882 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Because some people are hoping for vindication that DR really is the game killer they claimed it was or smug satisfaction that STO shut down because it didn't cater to their specific demand.

Season 10=Game over

In denial? oh well...there is ALWAYS EVE :D
    DUwNP.gif

• thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    - Iconians, because everything after that is going to pale in comparion (except maybe some kind of Temporal War)
    - "Power Sells" ... i.E. 2 Promo Ships within ~4 months (the old Bug lasted for ~2years)
    - lots of new Foundry Doors for people to fill
    - the obvious reason for "Delta Recruitment", is because they're loosing players, and need new ones ...
    - "Event Bombardment", because they're afraid noone would play otherwise (Delta Recruits + S10 i.E)
    - see also : Dead PVE Queues, Steam Charts etc ...
    - the new Stuff seems to be pretty Content-light ... DR an Expansion with 8 Story Episodes, S10 no more Adventure Zones & a "War" with only 3 Queues ...
    - Content Recycling i.E. "Uneasy Allies", PVE Queues on First City, Iconian Marks for "old" Queues & Patrols
    - since last year, the Game seems to be revamped for "Long Term Goals" ... Spec. Points, Crafting etc ... so people still might have something to do in "Maintenance Mode" ...
    - Cryptic Layoffs ...

=> all those things give me at least reasons to worry ... will STO shut down "soonish" ? ... doubt it ... there are at least 2 more years of "Maintenance Mode" ... so the real question is : Is it going to be "Star Wars Galaxies" : 2006-2011 ...

PS : It's not really "sudden" things went "bad" with S 9.5 ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • thenoobcamperthenoobcamper Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    feiqa wrote: »
    Well let me put my hat in and explain why it concerns me.
    First the Iconians have been built up to be the final dungeon boss of the game. Period. Then you have the events over lapping and prizes tossed out so fast that is seems like someone is trying to milk the cow before it gets lead to slaughter.
    Coupled with the rumour that the license is up in 2016.

That gives just under eight months to finish everything up and settle things.

Now with these negatives you have word out that there are storyboards out for post season 10. Storyboards are not a signature saying you are certain to be able to stick around.
    The game makes money. So did City of Heroes, so did Tabula Rasa, and I am sure others can point out games making a profit that were still closed down.

Am I saying STO is doomed? No.
    Will it be shut down? Eventually.

But I can be afraid of that coming. Can't I?

If they were just throwing stuff at the players that are already developed (or just new weapons and stuff) sure.

But why create new story content (with voice actors) if the game is just going to shut down. That would eat just eat into profits, when you can just put everyone on an endless loop of CE, MI, and episode replays
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    LMAO there will always be doom and gloomers. They have an agenda of trying to discourage newer players from even trying to g t somewhere in the game so these very same doom and gloomers will remain in their own mind the end all be alle xperts on the game. These doom and gloomers have been around in every MMO since day one. They were and are still in WOW these doom and gloomers cried WOTLK will kill WOW, Death Knights will kill WOW and yada yada yada. If anybody believes anything these trolls say about when a game ends they are fools. The game will end when the Devs and company decide to kill it not when these doom and gloomers say.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2015
    "OMG! They're wrapping up story lines they've been stringing along (and we've been complaining about being strung along) for years!"

Perhaps it's just time to conclude some things (in STO), so that we can focus/work on other things (in STO).
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    zathri83 wrote: »
    Pvpers have found the game to be OP as a whole.

Who really cares about PVP as it is in Trek? Right now PVP is borked and imho needs to be completely separate from the PVE side. Best thing that could happen is move PVP permantly to red shirt and make it an open combat universe with no queues just 100% pvp all the time with it's own gear and one tier of ships say tier 4 so pretty much everyone's on a level playing field in that respect. Make the gear unique to PVP and wont work in PVE and at same time PVE gear wont work in it. To gain better gear you would gain points for damage dealt the more you deal the more points to get new gear. No crafting either just a base store and a base lab say where you can order research into stuff say a 40 hour time frame to have an item developed. I would like to see it have a ladder type system where to get say a better beam weapon first you must have x level deflector sensor suite then to get max dps you need x level warp core (which would power all equal level gear to is max but have a severe penalty say a sliding scle that for every level above your warp core level there is a 25% per level reduction in damage and for every level of warp core OVER your current weapon there is a 15% per level chance of blowing up your weapon system PERMENATLY from power overload and so on max overload of 1 level would give a 5% increase in damage per weapon this would give great incentive to building all new gear sets one piece at a time. It would definitely teach a player how to get the most bang out of a ship instead of just throwing ec and dilith into an instant dps monster where no real skills are needed. Hell make it an entire new game call it Star Trek Red Shirt Galaxy at war!
  • medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Confirmation from the Incisor'd Taco that this thing will live on forever... good enough for me

But I can see WHY people would think this way
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Problem is doomspeakers used to be relatively contained in the doom thread. Now that it has been taken away, doomsayers have no official outlet. Taco has to understand this.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If they were just throwing stuff at the players that are already developed (or just new weapons and stuff) sure.

But why create new story content (with voice actors) if the game is just going to shut down. That would eat just eat into profits, when you can just put everyone on an endless loop of CE, MI, and episode replays

Good point.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    "OMG! They're wrapping up story lines they've been stringing along (and we've been complaining about being strung along) for years!"

Perhaps it's just time to conclude some things (in STO), so that we can focus/work on other things (in STO).

Are you saying there are things that happened in STO because it wasn't Iconians?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    themarie wrote: »
    Tacofangs pointed out in tweet that we have gone from asking What's Next after a season launches to demanding to know what the plans are for the NEXT season.

Let me blunt about this right here^^^

We stopped asking because its pointless they dont tell us anything they ignore our inquiries into future plans for STO .

If you dont answer questions when asked people will begin to assume the worst its just human nature to assume the worst.

I would invite ANY cryptic developer from the star trek online team to answer me these questions.

A : What is the plan for season 11?

A : If there is no current plan then is there an idea of what may be ahead for season 11?

A : Is a new faction in the works for season 11?

A : Will season 11 be the year the gamma quadrant be opened for exploration?

A : Any idea who may be the new antagonist species / faction after we dealt with the iconians?

Ok theres some question for the cryptic star trek online develpment team to answer lets see if they answer them.
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »

Yep like a new enemy the kobali have kept secret... They don't want us to know they animated Molor(Rumors were true about the corpse of Molor). Then the clone of kahless and kobali molor race back to the river of skral where they regain what they had lost before they died and it sparks a new klingon civil war reputation lol :D
    edited April 2015
    Let me blunt about this right here^^^

We stopped asking because its pointless they dont tell us anything they ignore our inquiries into future plans for STO .

If you dont answer questions when asked people will begin to assume the worst its just human nature to assume the worst.

I would invite ANY cryptic developer from the star trek online team to answer me these questions.

A : What is the plan for season 11?

A : If there is no current plan then is there an idea of what may be ahead for season 11?

A : Is a new faction in the works for season 11?

A : Will season 11 be the year the gamma quadrant be opened for exploration?

A : Any idea who may be the new antagonist species / faction after we dealt with the iconians?

Ok theres some question for the cryptic star trek online develpment team to answer lets see if they answer them.

Im going to quote myself to emphasise the fact these are serious question id love to have answered im not being snarky.

But by not answering them it will prove my point which is we dont ask question since they dont get answered thus we assume the worst.

So please cryptic i invite you to answer them :)
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Im going to quote myself to emphasise the fact these are serious question id love to have answered im not being snarky.

But by not answering them it will prove my point which is we dont ask question since they dont get answered thus we assume the worst.

So please cryptic i invite you to answer them :)

They typically do not answer those types of questions so early in the development cycle. By confirming certain elements, they paint themselves into a corner (like they have in the past) by being overly ambitious but unable to deliver what was promised.

As time goes on, they get a clearer image of what is practical and more likely to make it into a major update.

Think of it like clay. They have a massive ball of clay, but they don't really want to say what it is going to be until they have some time to work it into something recognizable.

They also get hamstrung by the people in Marketing who clamps down with Non-Disclosure Agreements for maximum hype.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited April 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    They typically do not answer those types of questions so early in the development cycle. By confirming certain elements, they paint themselves into a corner (like they have in the past) by being overly ambitious but unable to deliver what was promised.

As time goes on, they get a clearer image of what is practical and more likely to make it into a major update.

Think of it like clay. They have a massive ball of clay, but they don't really want to say what it is going to be until they have some time to work it into something recognizable.

They also get hamstrung by the people in Marketing who clamps down with Non-Disclosure Agreements for maximum hype.

I just would like to see if they got an idea for whats ahead for S11 as it is right now my fleet neg'var (T5U) is ready for battle with the heralds.\

but i want to know who else will the I.K.S Hor'Cha will add to its wall of the defeated where i place all my battle trophies from defeated fools :)

I guess im super curious on what they gt in thier mind for S11 this game is sweet and i know its not gonna end any time soon but i am curious :)
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I for one intend to continue my tradition of buying a large amount of Zen at season start and opening a metric buttload of lockboxes. I may even buy a T6 Galaxy just because it looks cool and I would love to Pew Pew Iconians as a Galaxy-Class ship. :)

If the game shuts down June 1st so be it. If the game continues past that, oh darn. Either way I intend to HAVE. FUN. WITH. THE. GAME.

I do not DPS.

I do not Aux2Erection.

I do not relentlessly grind every single rep across every single toon -- that is just nuts.

Nor do I PVP, MinMax, parse logs or worry about the ideal proc-rate.

I'm here to have fun (*), not worry. That's what real life is for.

(*) fun defined as bullying Tarrak and Taskforce Sierra into turning over projects as rapidly as possible so we'll actually hit T-5 before the heat-death of the universe. GRIND HARDER, YE SLOVENLY DOGS! *whip-ah* :D
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't see this as an end of anything. Frankly these Proxy Wars were starting to wear a bit thin with these various obscure races manipulated by those dastardly Iconians into fighting their battles. It's due time for the real villains to unveil themselves. That said, this need not be a short and easy conflict and could be drawn out for many seasons over several years with a variety of scenarios involving different environments, gains and losses on the battlefront, new and changing alliances, whatever.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    From what ive seen, mostly because they see the iconians as the "ultimate enemy" and automatically assume in their heads that because they see them as the ultimate enemy in the lore then that bassically means the game will end. lol which is dumb.

The fact that people keep comparing them to the reapers doesnt help either lol.

people are thinking way to small though. they seem to think the universe is the size of texas for some reason lol and that we wont encounter anything else

others are just extremely lazy trolls.
  • mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Q help us all if any iconians get assimulated by the borg...............
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I am personally kinda hoping that the ENT temporal cold war will rear its ugly head again.

Maybe the iconians are just a faction in it HMMM, HMMMMMMMMM?

Considering that the Iconians can't even time-travel (or so Sela claims, at least), that is highly unlikely - unless, of course, they find a time-traveling servitor race to do their temporal dirty work for them. (The Devidians, perhaps? We haven't heard from them since Spectres...)

Another post mentioned WWII. WWII wasn't the "war to end all wars" any more than WWI was; all it really did was set the stage for the Cold War. Maybe that's what the Iconian War will do - set the stage for the Temporal Cold War or some other war.
  • anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't think the game is doomed just yet as long as the license gets renewed and it still is making money (which it does).
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Considering that the Iconians can't even time-travel (or so Sela claims, at least), that is highly unlikely - unless, of course, they find a time-traveling servitor race to do their temporal dirty work for them. (The Devidians, perhaps? We haven't heard from them since Spectres...)

Another post mentioned WWII. WWII wasn't the "war to end all wars" any more than WWI was; all it really did was set the stage for the Cold War. Maybe that's what the Iconian War will do - set the stage for the Temporal Cold War or some other war.

That whole conversation was confusing. Sela says that time travel destroys their minds, but later states that they lose their memories of the intervening time. So the first part states that time travel is a suicide mission while the later part states that Iconians can use time travel, but they forget their mission so there is no point in time travel.

Heralds are less advanced than Iconians so they likely don't have Chroniton states in their brain. Therefore, they could travel through time. No need to make another enemy into an Iconian servitor race.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited April 2015
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    garaks31 wrote: »
    some of us have chosen the dark side of the Force :rolleyes:

You mean the dark side of a bunch of bacteria?
  • ddplattddplatt Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Funny stuff, after the last mission the game will shut down........
    ... Yeah ok, seriously how do people come up with this stuff?
  • saborethsaboreth Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Perhaps the implied scale of the Iconian War is intimidating them. Maybe they don't think there -can- be story afterward. Doomsayers. Blah. Yawn.
  • thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Where can we go after the Iconian War? How about the Gamma Quadrant? It's pretty unexplored, despite the fact they've had free access to it for over 40 years. There are large chunks of the Delta Quadrant left unexplored as well. Then of course there is the Andromeda galaxy which could be partially explored if we still have access to it via Iconian technology.
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    After the iconian war, there is only one thing left to do...
    WAR WITH THE Q. :cool:
    I need a beer.

• thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Where can we go after the Iconian War? How about the Gamma Quadrant? It's pretty unexplored, despite the fact they've had free access to it for over 40 years. There are large chunks of the Delta Quadrant left unexplored as well. Then of course there is the Andromeda galaxy which could be partially explored if we still have access to it via Iconian technology.

Sounds like STO is supposed to be about "Exploration" ....

... stop this nonsense, we need better & bigger enemies to shoot :P
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If TNG showed us anything there are large chunks of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants that have not been explored yet. Heck, there was a Dyson Sphere just sitting somewhere between Sol and Norpin - the Colony where Scotty was going to go and retire - that no one had ever even noticed. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.