test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What does the POW mod do?

razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
I don't usually waste resources on a lot of the fleet gear because I am not a min/max player. However, I was reading up on the impulse engines on the STO WIKI, and it shows that the Elite Impulse engines gain a POW mod. What does this mod do, and is it worth it?

Thanks for any information.

Razar.
Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
Post edited by razar2380 on

Comments

• benben500benben500 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think it gives some power to weapons, shields, and aux.
    "Bloody explorers, ponce off to Mumbo Jumbo land, come home with a tropical disease, a suntan and a bag of brown lumpy things, and Bob's your uncle, everyone's got a picture of them in the lavatory."
    -Edmund Blackadder-
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Not worth it.

Leech does it +Power way better.
  • dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    At lowest power setting 15 the POW mod adds 3.8 power to the Aux, Eng and Shield subsystems. It hads a little over zero power at the 100 power setting.

It is the same as the "Efficient" engine you get from one of the story quest missions.

Might be worthwile for Romulans since they run 3 of their subsystems below 40 power....

As for leech I would think the two would be completely additive since these kinds of boost are based on power setting and not final power level.

Objectively weaker than the Romulan engine's + to attack pattern.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    praxi5 wrote: »
    Not worth it.

Leech does it +Power way better.

Totally irrelevant. Leech is a console, pow is an engine mod, they are not competing with each other in an either/or scenario. One might opt for both, as an example. Also, while you might be rich, the op may be a fed who can't afford tens of millions per character for the leech.

The question remains, what does pow do, and how does it function (stacks, flat bonus, etc to one system, to all, does anything modify it?)

Edit: @dpsloss, thanks! Now I know.
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Totally irrelevant. Leech is a console, pow is an engine mod, they are not competing with each other in an either/or scenario. One might opt for both, as an example. Also, while you might be rich, the op may be a fed who can't afford tens of millions per character for the leech.

The question remains, what does pow do, and how does it function (stacks, flat bonus, etc to one system, to all, does anything modify it?)

Edit: @dpsloss, thanks! Now I know.

True.

I only stated that because if you're looking for additional sources of Power, Leech is the better option. Doubly so, since not only does it give you far more power/drains your target, there are better choices for Engines.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Did someone say... POW?

Couldn't resist. :D
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    praxi5 wrote: »
    True.

I only stated that because if you're looking for additional sources of Power, Leech is the better option. Doubly so, since not only does it give you far more power/drains your target, there are better choices for Engines.

Agred on both points,, the leech is pretty amazing at what it does.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Efficient/POW Engines are worthless unless you are the newest of the newb Romulans with ZERO endgame gear that gives you additional subsystem power.

The reasons why anything with the word "Efficient" is utter garbage is due to Cryptic nerfing the living hell out of "Efficient" items, traits years ago.

Originally, when STO was new, Efficient was a flat power bonus to all subsystems regardless of where they sit at. Anything from the mission reward Efficient Impulse Engines to the traits found in BOFFs and Captains. Those early mission reward Efficient Impulse Engines were actually very desirable on endgame builds back then. When it was like this, Fed Saurians and KDF Letheans were worth a lot of EC on the exchange.

Then Cryptic nerfed the **** out of them to where they are now. The way Efficient works is you get a power bonus the lower the subsystem power level is. Once it rises past a very low threshold, it does absolutely NOTHING for you. The power you get from it fluctuates, it's not a flat bonus from even low levels. Sharper Diminishing Returns than even Damage Resistance. And once you throw Plasmonic Leech (should be as common as candy for KDF/Rom-KDF), Energy Siphon, Devices, Emergency Power to X, etc, then the uses of Efficient begins to tank.

Considering how very easy it is to get tons and tons of extra Subsystem Power, Efficient is utter garbage. We have many players getting 125 weapons and 75+ on shields/engines/aux. Engineers can literally swim in an non-ending excess of Subsystem Power (warbird or not), which is even better with the T6 Iconic Ship Console. With power levels like this anything with "Efficient" is dead weight on the build.

Only brand new Romulans with none of the tools to increase Subsystem Power Levels may have a use for Efficient. But once that same very low threshold of power is passed, again, Efficient does nothing. But even the most half-assed developed Romulan should be running much more power to a point that makes "Efficeint"/POW useless. Hell, even for a ship with low power levels, the amount of power you get from Efficient does nothing to really help in the build.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Thank you everyone for the help. About the Leech, I don't really use it since I don't min/max.

I have the ship that come with it on my Klinks. But, after reaching level 40, I usually take it off for another console I prefer. I don't think I have it on any of my characters at all. Without a min/max build, it is just not worth the extreme price on the exchange. I stopped buying them as soon as the went over 1 million on the exchange.

I am not sure if I will go with the Elite Impulse engines. I have a good core, shield, and deflector. I may just grab one from the episodes.

Thank you again for the help.

Razar
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
    edited April 2015
    I don't min/max, and I use the Leech on my main.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited April 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »

It's too good a tool to just toss it away if you already bought it on the C-Store for KDF.

There are Feds that would KILL just to get one of these consoles. They can't afford to pay for what it costs on the Exchange these days. Even if they do get one, it's bound to that 1 character only.

For the KDF, buying a low-tiered ship in the C-Store to have Leech as a faction-wide unlock, even for KDF-Roms, is a very big advantage for the faction.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »

Sorry, I didn't mean that it is only for people that do min/max. I just meant that with how much it cost for a Fed, or Fed aligned, it is not worth it for me to waste that much. And on my KDF, and KDF aligned, I have other consoles that I prefer to use.

Sub system power is not a problem for me. So if I add a console that increases something I don't need to worry about, then it is a console slot that doesn't have something that would help out where I do need assistance.

It is a good console, and that is why I used it on my low level characters on the KDF side as soon as I could get it. But I have a slightly different skill tree than most, and I use gear and consoles that increase where my skill tree is lacking. This lets me put my characters in any ship class, and keep up in queues without needing to change out much as far as gear goes.

And, since I can't afford to upgrade to Mk XIII or XIV, I have other consoles that help with other skills that make up for it in either offense, or defense. I know that the Leech helps a little in all with the power it puts in all subsystems, but sometimes I just need a better buff in a single one that the Leech can't do. But replacing it with another console will give me that boost.
    edited April 2015
    The Leech is a very desirable console Fed side for sure. Moreso for Fed Allied Romulans because of their lower base power level. KDF whine and complain about Feds having it, but never remember that the Fed supply is finite, limited to whatever is made available through the lockbox it came out of. KDF have an unlimited supply as its off a c-store ship.
  • dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The only ship I don't use the leech on is a stealth Tvaro torpedo science bomber.
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Doncha just love how the soap box gets jumped all over.. Politics aside, I think I get the question.

Sir/Madam

Use what ya got.. There are better solutions, but if you don't have the magic console as mentioned in several posts, then you don't have the magic console and thats that. A little power from this, a little from that, a touch from a skills, from a rep space or ground abilitie(s). From BOFF traits, and the gear that has that POW trait? I call it a nice little addition. You need power always, the more you have the better off you are. More power means better offence, defense, mobility, and options in a fight that will do it for good effect. I personally like having plenty of power.

When ya got the big bad console you get other option opening to you. Until you manage it, make good use of what you got. Personally, I think I'm going to keep my eyes open for that trait.. Even on one piece of ships equipment it could very well make the difference over the long term. If the other guy blows up before you do.. good, if he don't bad.. Not liking bad, like good..Make it happen!
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
    edited April 2015
    Doncha just love how the soap box gets jumped all over.. Politics aside, I think I get the question.

Sir/Madam

Use what ya got.. There are better solutions, but if you don't have the magic console as mentioned in several posts, then you don't have the magic console and thats that. A little power from this, a little from that, a touch from a skills, from a rep space or ground abilitie(s). From BOFF traits, and the gear that has that POW trait? I call it a nice little addition. You need power always, the more you have the better off you are. More power means better offence, defense, mobility, and options in a fight that will do it for good effect. I personally like having plenty of power.

When ya got the big bad console you get other option opening to you. Until you manage it, make good use of what you got. Personally, I think I'm going to keep my eyes open for that trait.. Even on one piece of ships equipment it could very well make the difference over the long term. If the other guy blows up before you do.. good, if he don't bad.. Not liking bad, like good..Make it happen!

So... With what you said, you don't understand how Efficient/Power trait works :D
    XzRTofz.gif
  • hawkrunnerhawkrunner Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    razar2380 wrote: »
    I know that the Leech helps a little in all with the power it puts in all subsystems, but sometimes I just need a better buff in a single one that the Leech can't do. But replacing it with another console will give me that boost.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, but on my ship the Leech gives me 2.8 * 8 = 22.4 power to each subsystem. That's with 9 points in the Tier 1 Flow Caps skill tree and two 37.5 flow cap consoles. I hardly think that a console that gives between 2 and 5 power to a single subsystem is more effective. Even the Zero-Point Energy Console that gives ~2 power to each subsystem is heavily trumped by the Leech. I think it might be worthwhile to read about how Subsystem Power affects your ship's performance. The article is somewhat outdated, but you'll still get a good idea of what power levels do to your abilities.

Having said that, I agree that getting engines that have those efficiency boosts is not the best choice due to the diminishing returns effects of Efficiency. I would strongly recommend the Romulan Impulse Engines if you are using any of the Attack Pattern abilities.
  • tigerblade66tigerblade66 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    "It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."