test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I miss the game from before Delta Recruits

gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
^ As the title says. Prior to Delta recruits being started/implemented I was able to play my characters with no issues whatsoever. When Delta recruits came around I, like most others, made a delta recruit and leveled it to lvl 58. However, during that time I had sporadic yet seldom and infrequent connection issues. They weren't a bother then. Since the most recent patch I have been, in a matter of speaking, unable to play the game. 90% of the time I get SERVER NOT RESPONDING for about 150-300 seconds before I either quit the game or get disconnected when switching maps (or characters). The login queues during the past weekend actually helped alleviate some of the connectivity issues but not by much. To make matters worse it sometimes takes about 10-15 minutes just to get the launcher working and even then I sometimes still don't get into the game due to SERVER NOT RESPONDING. I thought maybe it was my service provider and I ran a speed test and here are what my speeds are right now: 66 Mbps down. In addition, I didn't trust the result so I checked my connection latency by observing my ping consistency when connecting to various IPs i.e. Ventrilo etc. So I was able to confidently conclude that my in-game issues were not a result of my internet. So I then proceeded to see that maybe if I have a faulty LAN port on my motherboard. It turns out I do not. So, in short, Cryptic/PWE (I don't know which maintain the servers) PLEASE run a level 3 diagnostic on your servers or something. Perhaps, as others have suggested, just replace the servers. This is becoming quite bothersome.

*Grabs popcorn*... just in-case I need it :rolleyes:
signature.png
Post edited by gameverseman on

Comments

• vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think the issue isn't their servers but rather the internet service provider that they get their internet from (Cogent).

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think the issue isn't their servers but rather the internet service provider that they get their internet from (Cogent).

Interesting.... well IF that's the case than the solution is simple enough.... yet nothing has/is being done???
    signature.png
  • caylenrcaylenr Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If that's the case, then the solution is almost certainly NOT simple.
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Interesting.... well IF that's the case than the solution is simple enough.... yet nothing has/is being done???

Depending on how the contracts are between the companies. You can't just cancel a contract as long as there is providing. There must be a complete catastrophic thing to happen so that PWE can cancel the contracts. But then, there is very much work to route the servers new. And that can also couse downtime.

I, for example, have nearly none of those issues some people write.

And I have a lame internet. Maybe you can try to switch to the EU servers? :confused:
    edited April 2015
    caylenr wrote: »
    If that's the case, then the solution is almost certainly NOT simple.

No... the solution is simple. It's just easier said than done.... but that's beside the point. Again ,assuming it's their provider that puts them in a better position to solve the issue than ,what seems, to be their current position where they don't have a clue.
    signature.png
    edited April 2015
    Depending on how the contracts are between the companies. You can't just cancel a contract as long as there is providing. There must be a complete catastrophic thing to happen so that PWE can cancel the contracts. But then, there is very much work to route the servers new. And that can also couse downtime.

And I have a lame internet. Maybe you can try to switch to the EU servers? :confused:

My fleet mate is on the EU servers (supposedly since he's from Europe) and he, too, rarely has connection issues. I don't even know if I could switch servers. I know you can in SWTOR but that's another thing entirely.
    signature.png
  • grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There more people online in some ours then the servers can handle so sometimes you will loose connection, I had the same problem OP. I also had some times that the server said I was in a waiting room to log in .

All I can say OP just be patient or come back another time.... You are in on ours that a lot of people are online ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
    edited April 2015
    kirk2390 wrote: »
    There more people online in some ours then the servers can handle so sometimes you will loose connection, I had the same problem OP. I also had some times that the server said I was in a waiting room to log in .

All I can say OP just be patient or come back another time.... You are in on ours that a lot of people are online ...

Ordinarily I would... but I just recently got lucky with the Vaadwaur lockbox and got the Manasa but now I can't even enjoy it.... It feels like winning the lottery and then being told all of the money is going in your 401k without your consent or permission. But yeah... I hear ya.
    signature.png
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My fleet mate is on the EU servers (supposedly since he's from Europe) and he, too, rarely has connection issues. I don't even know if I could switch servers. I know you can in SWTOR but that's another thing entirely.
    There is no EU Server. Everyone plays on the same Server in the game. All STO offers is a change in Proxy, but everyone is on the same Server. So if the Server is not working for someone in location A but is working in location B the issue is almost always going to be ISP/Cogent rather then the Servers. If the game Server goes down it goes down for everyone.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    thecosmic1 speaks the truth. There are no seperate servers for regions. The only seperate servers we have are the main game server (Holodeck), Public Test Server (Tribble), and... whatever Redshirt is considered.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited April 2015
    Thanks for the info! :D But that still brings us back to my OP. I wish someone would tell us "Hey! We know about the <blah blah blah> issues and we are working to resolve them".... the last time I saw that is when the servers we down completely.
    signature.png
    edited April 2015
    Thanks for the info! :D But that still brings us back to my OP. I wish someone would tell us "Hey! We know about the <blah blah blah> issues and we are working to resolve them".... the last time I saw that is when the servers we down completely.
    Did you attempt to change your Proxy to see if that made a difference?
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited April 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Did you attempt to change your Proxy to see if that made a difference?

Yes and I still have the same issues.... but... to be blunt. With how stable my connection(s) are with everything else, I shouldn't have to mess with my proxy, or anything, in order to play. :/
    signature.png
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yes and I still have the same issues.... but... to be blunt. With how stable my connection(s) are with everything else, I shouldn't have to mess with my proxy, or anything, in order to play. :/
    No, you shouldn't have to mess with your proxy in order to play. Optimally speaking, of course.

However we have been aware of the connection issues, and I've been grabbing data back and forth to the engi teams trying to figure out why some players in particular are having such a connection issue.
    edited April 2015
    Well, again, we all play in the same playground. The fact that I am in the game right now and not experiencing rubberbanding or getting DCed tells me it is probably not a playground issue. It is some difference between your computer and the playground and my computer and the playground. For whatever reason I make it in the door without problems and you do not.
    edited April 2015
    No, you shouldn't have to mess with your proxy in order to play. Optimally speaking, of course.

However we have been aware of the connection issues, and I've been grabbing data back and forth to the engi teams trying to figure out why some players in particular are having such a connection issue.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop Trendy.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited April 2015
    Well, again, we all play in the same playground. The fact that I am in the game right now and not experiencing rubberbanding or getting DCed tells me it is probably not a playground issue. It is some difference between your computer and the playground and my computer and the playground. For whatever reason I make it in the door without problems and you do not.

So it very well could be a "miscommunication" ,if you will, between my service provider and that of the servers and not necessarily a latency issue? Then why did my current connection issue not rear their ugly heads until delta recruits came into play? This would suggest that it may not, entirely, be a user-by-user case.
    signature.png
    edited April 2015
    So it very well could be a "miscommunication" ,if you will, between my service provider and that of the servers and not necessarily a latency issue? Then why did my current connection issue not rear their ugly heads until delta recruits came into play? This would suggest that it may not, entirely, be a user-by-user case.
    I cannot answer that, but I would point out that these "lag" threads have been on the forum for months. So while your issue just started recently others have been dealing with them a long time. And it is very possible a week from today I might start having the issues too. But as of now I am fine; and you were, apparently, fine about a week ago.
    edited April 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Thanks for keeping us in the loop Trendy.

Ditto :D.... as a side note this thread has me surprised for 2 reasons.

1.) no trolls or flamebaiters (as of yet) :P
    2.) A response from a mod :D
    signature.png
    edited April 2015
    I cannot answer that, but I would point out that these "lag" threads have been on the forum for months. So while your issue just started recently others have been dealing with them a long time. And it is very possible a week from today I might start having the issues too. But as of now I am fine; and you were, apparently, fine about a week ago.

I do know that people have been concerned/complaining about lag for a while (months as you say) and I always just thought people were jumping the gun in assuming it was a server/game issue when it was/is, most likely, their internet and/or service provider. But seeing as how I have a fast connection yadda yadda yadda and still have issues has me thinking...
    signature.png
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited April 2015

While it would certainly appear that way, it is not necessarily the case. While i don't want to say exactly what i do, i have a technical job and sometimes things just don't work when there's really nothing wrong (at least nothing detectable), and sometimes things still work fine when there is a major problem that should have knocked them completely offline. Technology can be funny that way.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    edited April 2015
    While it would certainly appear that way, it is not necessarily the case. While i don't want to say exactly what i do, i have a technical job and sometimes things just don't work when there's really nothing wrong (at least nothing detectable), and sometimes things still work fine when there is a major problem that should have knocked them completely offline. Technology can be funny that way.

This is true... I guess this is where you can throw in that saying of "If it works, leave it alone. If it doesn't, replace it." OR in this case just try to patch it up with duct tape :)
    signature.png
    edited April 2015
    I do know that people have been concerned/complaining about lag for a while (months as you say) and I always just thought people were jumping the gun in assuming it was a server/game issue when it was/is, most likely, their internet and/or service provider. But seeing as how I have a fast connection yadda yadda yadda and still have issues has me thinking...
    My guess is that there is a bottleneck occurring somewhere right outside the Server's "door." Some people are making it through the door - raises hand - while others are getting bounced back or slowed once allowed in. It most likely has nothing to do with their individual internet speed and a lot more to do with how various ISPs are being prioritized once they reach the door:

Guy A is allowed in.
    Guy B is allowed in but slowed.
    Guy C is not allowed in.
    edited April 2015
    My guess is that there is a bottleneck occurring somewhere right outside the Server's "door." Some people are making it through the door - raises hand - while others are getting bounced back or slowed once allowed in. It most likely has nothing to do with their individual internet speed and a lot more to do with how various ISPs are being prioritized once they reach the door:

Guy A is allowed in.
    Guy B is allowed in but slowed.
    Guy C is not allowed in.

Make a bigger door :confused:... humor aside I agree with you.
    signature.png
    edited April 2015
    If only it were that easy.

[Conspiracy theory]
    Maybe the server ISP is getting paid by some other ISPs, and in return they get priority access on things, while others get "Throttled Down" for not paying them.
    [/Conspiracy theory]

On a more serious note... networking is pretty complex. What may seem like an easy fix really isn't so easy.We're not only talking about hardware, but software as well.
    edited April 2015
    Make a bigger door :confused:... humor aside I agree with you.
    A lot of this goes back to the Net Neutrality issues and how different companies pay for priority usage - such as Netflix paying Comcast to guarantee their service always gets fast streaming. If some companies are paying Cogent for priority access while others are not....
    edited April 2015
    :eek:*tin foil hat* so what happened?... my ISP missed their payment at the launch of Delta Recruits? Or did the ISP of the server jack up their prices as a result of the influx of traffic due to delta recruits?
    signature.png
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    :eek:*tin foil hat* so what happened?... my ISP missed their payment at the launch of Delta Recruits? Or did the ISP of the server jack up their prices as a result of the influx of traffic due to delta recruits?

Only thing I'm really aware of atm is Verizon and Cogent not getting along because of Netflix. Verizon wants Cogent to pay for the traffic, Cogent said no, so traffic between them is being throttled.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • johndroidjohndroid Member Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited April 2015

I have great internet and hardly have a problem ever.

I'm on west coast USA and since Delta i have had Rubber banding issues for hours and days and some rubber banding is like 12 seconds to sometimes crashing my system ?

Somethings changed since Delta recruit for me gameplay is really really bad now ...
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    johndroid wrote: »
    I have great internet and hardly have a problem ever.

I'm on west coast USA and since Delta i have had Rubber banding issues for hours and days and some rubber banding is like 12 seconds to sometimes crashing my system ?

Somethings changed since Delta recruit for me gameplay is really really bad now ...

Try pathping patchserver.crypticstudios.com when this is happening.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.