test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

R&D: Reverse Engineering Option

prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
I don’t know if this or similar has been discussed, but I’d really, REALLY, like to see an option for R&D schools 15+ to be able to deconstruct equipment for components and the possibility of learning a new schematic.

i.e., although it would be expensive, I’d like to be able to get lockbox or reputation gear and deconstruct it, possibly learn a schematic to make similar gear (Corrosive Plasma, Thoron-Infused Polaron, etc.) I don’t think the craft gear should be necessarily as good as the lockbox/rep gear but having the ability to actually make specialized gear would be kind of awesome.

Plus it would give us another opportunity to gain access to rare+ R&D components…

Just a thought.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
Post edited by prierin on

Comments

• flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Good idea in theory, would be a nice feature to have I think.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • linuxkn1ghtlinuxkn1ght Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I agree this would be awesome.
    That other major space sci-fi game has a similar mechanic and it works well.
    There is a %chance to learn the "recipe" for the item you are deconstructing, as well as getting the component materials from it.

So in STO 'verse, an example would be:
    *Must have, as stated above, 15+ R&D school related to the item (or maybe 10+?), such as cannons
    *Deconstruct an item, such as corrosive plasma DHC
    *25% or so chance to learn the manual or recipe for corrosive plasma DHC, plus you get materials
    *Depending on the rarity level of the item, a greater %chance to get rare materials

I would very much welcome something like this. :)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I agree this would be awesome.
    That other major space sci-fi game has a similar mechanic and it works well.
    There is a %chance to learn the "recipe" for the item you are deconstructing, as well as getting the component materials from it.

So in STO 'verse, an example would be:
    *Must have, as stated above, 15+ R&D school related to the item (or maybe 10+?), such as cannons
    *Deconstruct an item, such as corrosive plasma DHC
    *25% or so chance to learn the manual or recipe for corrosive plasma DHC, plus you get materials
    *Depending on the rarity level of the item, a greater %chance to get rare materials

I would very much welcome something like this. :)
    Enh.. in STO, recipes are quest rewards. Now.... it'd be AWESOME if we could get recipes for making stuff like Rom Plas weapons from getting t5 in Romulan Rep. :P

But deconstructing for mats? Well you'd probably get half what you need to make that item, if that.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think deconstructing would only work in a system where you can choose at least some of the mods, but being able to add a new energy type may work just as well.

If they ever did allow mod crafting though I would assume it to be based off dependent levels in other schools, ie science/Deflector for exotic damage abilities and maybe engineering for accuracy etc.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles