test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fleet wars

malc36malc36 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
Hi all ..i would like to mention an idea i had...fleet wars the ability to start a battle against another fleet..maybe even defend your own starbase..or to attack others starbases...it would be an awesome addition to the game :)
Post edited by malc36 on

Comments

• fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    PvP in STO?

Heh.

Prepare for this thread to go up in flames...
  • jjdezjjdez Member Posts: 570 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Can it be easily monetized?

If yes, there is a chance.
    If no, move along and don't get your hopes up.
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Welcome to the forums. Abandon all ye hope. But yeah, won't happen because there's a huge disparity between any two fleets. Besides, most fleets exist for the sole purpose as extra storage space.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • malc36malc36 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    i suppose it could be monetized..with the introduction of starbase defenses...maybe some free and some purchased..opens up a whole new avenue for moneymaking really
    edited March 2015
    malc36 wrote: »
    i suppose it could be monetized..with the introduction of starbase defenses...maybe some free and some purchased..opens up a whole new avenue for moneymaking really

Already done. Friendly ship NPC tokens are on sale in fleet starbases, as are boosts and temporary turret deployments. Not that it would matter anyway, AI absolutely sucks and solely exists to move the NPCs and fire weapons in a random pattern, add to that they're weak against players and die in two shots.

edited March 2015

Yeah perhaps. But how many fleets would actually get involved in this? Then would fleets have to accept challenges, or be forced into them? Can you imagine how many kirk's out there would put their keyboards through their monitors if they were forced to play against other human beings?
    edited March 2015
    true but we cannot attack others starbases or use those defenses in that context :(
    edited March 2015
    jjdez wrote: »
    Yeah perhaps. But how many fleets would actually get involved in this? Then would fleets have to accept challenges, or be forced into them? Can you imagine how many kirk's out there would put their keyboards through their monitors if they were forced to play against other human beings?

And herein lies the number one reason it'll never happen. Someone give this man a cookie!

edited March 2015
    and yes it should be a choice...mainly established fleets
    edited March 2015
    a3001 wrote: »
    And herein lies the number one reason it'll never happen. Someone give this man a cookie!
    And herein lies the number one reason it'll never happen. Someone give this man a cookie! i would fly to delta quad and back for a cookie!! :)
    edited March 2015
    and yes it should be a choice...mainly established fleets

Then only very few fleets would play. And since it only pleases so few, the devs would see it as a waste of time and resources for minuscule returns.

edited March 2015
    agreed it was merely an idea...but i could definetly see the fun potential
    edited March 2015
    Then only very few fleets would play. And since it only pleases so few, the devs would see it as a waste of time and resources for minuscule returns.

We've arrived at the final conclusion without even needing a dev/CM to come in and say it's not happening before closing the thread!
    edited March 2015
    thanks for the input guys :)
    edited March 2015
    agreed it was merely an idea...but i could definetly see the fun potential

You see "Fun and Potential". I see useless grind, meaningless fighting, and utter squandering of precious resources.
    We've arrived at the final conclusion without even needing a dev/CM to come in and say it's not happening before closing the thread!

Agreed. Won't you be so kind as to lock this jjdez?

edited March 2015
    Agreed. Won't you be so kind as to lock this jjdez?

Oh man, I don't think anyone that knows me through STO thinks I should have such power...would be very dangerous.
  • jtoney3448jtoney3448 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I dont think we need star fleet killing one another, pvp is supposed to be wargames. Besides wars between fleets/guilds sometimes lead into some ugly territory for players, then the whole thing gets out of hand.

If you want to have a "war" with a fleet, you have private pvp ques. No need for new systems.
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    i would expect there to not be a challenge one would have to accept. needing to ask permission to attack is kind of stupid imo. a problem might be the disparity in numbers of kdf to fed fleets. and while it would be uncharacteristic of fed fleets to attack one another, it should probably be supported kdf-side.

its got my vote if its done properly, but... cryptic.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    OP, there had been plenty of ideas to liven up PVP since this game came out from various players. Control Zones, new maps, new modes, leaderboards. You name it, it's been brought up.

But in the 5 years this game has been around, the only 2 things that have happened with PVP are:

1. Shuttle PVP (yay?)

2. Removal of factions from PVP queues. Killing the idea of factions even more.

The devs absolutely HATE working on the KDF. But the only thing they hate working on more, have little idea of what goes on with an aspect of the game... It's PVP. It's the one thing they hate more than the KDF.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • hamster1234hamster1234 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    please not another eve online pvp type clone but i will support this idea if it was major faction or side war
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    As long as the winner gets their hull painted pink with yellow flowers, shure, why not?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    anazonda wrote: »
    As long as the winner gets their hull painted pink with yellow flowers, shure, why not?

As long as I can bring characters to a T0 fleet, have the ability to issue unremovable challengees, and any holding I blow up gets destroyed in game as well. Oh, a T5 base? NOT FOR LONG!
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015

That is not the number one reason it will not happen. The number one reason is that cryptic is totally rubbish when it comes to designing and balancing PvP.

If Cryptic could design and balance a decent PvP system then I think you would see more people entering into it, even casually. Until then just accept they have all but killed it and all they need to add is the grave stone.
  • scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Bizzaro mmo dont want cool things. Pew pew npc, join fleet, get gear, dont talk. the end.
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Wasn't this "new idea" around back when S6 launched? It didn't happen then, and the game wasn't a complete mess back then.. now what hope is there?
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • nesomumi2nesomumi2 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Can it be easily monetized?

If yes, there is a chance.
    If no, move along and don't get your hopes up.

of cores it can. pictuer all the people buying the best gear, and all the skills, traits, mastery's...

But i think this is more a limitation of game engine, then anything else.
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    nesomumi2 wrote: »
    of cores it can. pictuer all the people buying the best gear, and all the skills, traits, mastery's...

But i think this is more a limitation of game engine, then anything else.

Not going to happen. Run a few ISA PUGs today and log the combat. Behold the majority running absolute garbage builds and clearly running no weapon power. Watch as they aimlessly chase butterflies (shoot spheres instead of gens). Weep as you realize these are the majority of players.

They don't care about performance or competition. They buy a ship based on how the thing looks, how cannon it is, whether it fits their toon's RP. And that's perfectly fine, but it's the reason why we will never get a meaningful PvP update. The vast majority just doesn't want to compete, fair enough...

It used to be that PvPers were the game's whales. Now DPSers (some are remnants of the PvP community) are the game's whales, and DPS is competitive. And the debate between the lazy and competitive players rolls along.
    edited March 2015
    fatman592 wrote: »
    It used to be that PvPers were the game's whales. Now DPSers (some are remnants of the PvP community) are the game's whales, and DPS is competitive. And the debate between the lazy and competitive players rolls along.

It's always baffled me why cryptic decided to alienate so many PvPers that were almost always among the first people to buy new stuff in order to remain competitive.
  • zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Pvp needs to be removed, not added on to.