test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tribble Test Server FAQ

QQ Member Posts: 252
What is the Test Server?

The Star Trek Online Public Test Servers are where we'll be previewing and testing all of our latest content before making it available on Holodeck. Much of the content may be unpolished and potentially buggy - after all, that's the point of putting it on a Test Server. We greatly appreciate Bug Reports and feedback on this content so that we can refine and perfect it before putting it live.

There are two Test Servers: Tribble and Redshirt. Please be aware that Tribble will be used to test new code while Redshirt will be used to test builds that are heading to Holodeck. While Tribble will almost always be available to play on, Redshirt may be taken offline for periods of time between builds.

How do I access a Public Test Server and transfer a character to it?

1. Navigate to the Tribble Test Server page and log in with your account credentials.
  2. Read through the information on the page and click the 'Sign up!' button at the bottom.
  3. Select a character you wish to transfer from the "Character" drop-down menu and select which Test Server you want from the "Server" drop-down menu.
  4. Click 'Copy Character'.
  5. Log into STO and select either Tribble or Redshirt from the drop-down menu.
  6. Once patching is complete, click 'Engage'.

If you are having trouble transferring a character or receive an error message when transferring please keep the following in mind:

• If you are currently logged into the game with the character you are trying to transfer you will need to log out first before transferring.
  • If you have transferred numerous characters to the Test Server previously you may need to delete one or two to free up space for a new transfer.

Do I get to keep the progress I make on my test character and transfer it back to Holodeck?

Because Tribble and Redshirt are only test servers any progress you make cannot be transferred back to your character on Holodeck.

When will downtime for Tribble/Redshirt occur?

Downtime will happen on-the-fly, unlike Holodeck. This means that if we have a new patch or maintenance that needs to happen, we won't wait for our standard time. Instead, the maintenance will occur almost immediately, after a notification has been made to anyone playing on that particular Test Server.

Will there be posted updates for Tribble/Redshirt, and if so, where?

There will be Release Notes for both Test Servers, just like for Holodeck. You can find the Tribble Release Notes here and the Redshirt Release Notes here.

The Tribble/Redshirt option is gone when I look for it in the launcher. What happened?

Don't worry, it's likely that the Test Server is down for maintenance or the team is preparing a new patch for it.

Nothing happens when I select Tribble/Redshirt in the launcher! What should I do?

Please try closing the launcher and reopening it which should resolve this issue.

Can't I just copy over my LIVE directory to the Tribble/Redshirt directory?

It's true that you will be adding 10 GBs to your hard-drive to play on the Test Servers. When you patch to Tribble/Redshirt, let the launcher do its thing, that's fastest and least problematic approach.

What if I get stuck or need help with something? Will there be any GM support if I require assistance?

There will not be any significant GM support for Tribble or Redshirt. This is the true new frontier of STO and as such you will need to be a bit more independent. GMs will not generally be available to offer any assistance on Tribble/Redshirt so they can offer more dedicated assistance to players on Holodeck.

How should I report bugs I find on a Test Server?

First, file a Bug Report in-game when you encounter the bug by typing /bug. This will give us all sorts of useful information as to what was occurring at the time of the bug that might help us track down the problem. Once you've submitted the Bug Report, please make a post regarding the bug in the Tribble Public Test Forums, and include the ticket number if you've got it. Bugs found in Tribble can be posted here and bugs found in Redshirt can be posted here. The QA team will be on these forums a lot, so doing this will allow you to bring bugs directly to their attention.

I made a Bug Report and I made a new thread to discuss it on the forums! Why isn't my bug fixed yet?

Our apologies. Some bugs take longer than others to fix, owing to severity and the development schedule. Just know that we take all bug reports seriously and are looking into it.

I'm trying to log into Tribble/Redshirt but I'm being asked for a one-time verification code, what is this?

This is related to Account Guard which is designed to help prevent unauthorized access to your account. For more information about Account Guard, please see our FAQ.
This discussion has been closed.