test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

need help with crystaline entity

possumlipspossumlips Member Posts: 107 Arc User
edited March 2015 in The Academy
Is the Crystalline Catastrophe walkthrough on Wiki still the best way to defeat it ?
Post edited by possumlips on

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Tank while shooting it with torpedos? sounds about right....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    ry0ku83ry0ku83 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    possumlips wrote: »
    Is the Crystalline Catastrophe walkthrough on Wiki still the best way to defeat it ?

I just fly circles around it and shoot, then when releases its shockwave I Rock & Roll (Pilot Specialization skill) to avoid the damage.
  • Options
    deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    the event is different for what spawns along with the entity, overall the wiki walkthrough works.

mirror rifts: these can be destroyed and it's easier to wipe those than fight the mirror ships that come from them, they'll despawn once the rift that spawned them is gone. alternately they'll vanish on their own when the fight moves to another phase.

beamboats can circle above/below to keep maximum number of weapons on the entity, front loaded ships can park at range and cook it. always be aware of the pulse phase when parked. either use rock and roll if you have it, back off > 10km or hit brace for impact and possibly other damage resistance buffs right before it triggers. the pulse is survivable on normal, advanced as well but i don't make it a habit on advanced to stay in range sometimes the damage varies wildly.

can be funny though watch ships sit through the first pulse and the second comes along and you see several ships go boom all at once.

tholians on advanced can be a pain, nothing so lovely as to get tractored right before a pulse >.< stay aware of everything and either mode is pretty easy.
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,544 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    On normal you don't really need any special gear or strategy.

You can race to outside 10 km when it's about to release a shockwave, but you can also just do a resist or two like polarize hull, quantum absorb (Romulan), the Pilot temporary hit points from attack patterns, etc. -- it goes faster if you stay in place and keep shooting.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    the event crystal is different. It has some tricks that prevent targeting it and blind the players, and a couple of other small differences.

crystal gives extra loot (event or no event..) to the top healer/damage dealers. So most players now just zerg the crystal and ignore the tholians entirely, kill a few on the first pass in but that is about it. Right or wrong, you need to know this because if you start shooting the tholians (the right way to do it, really) without any help from your "team" you will probably get bogged down or even killed by messing with them. Go "up" and over the tholians, and blast the crystal.

The crystal: it is going to zap you often and hard. Stay at least 5k back to avoid the crystal missile / whatever they are things. If someone is handling those (aoe or gravity well or whatever) you can get closer. Keep your facing shield up, your hull healed, and shoot the thing until 1/3 damage and 2/3 damage. At those points, it will do a *massive* aoe that will kill light ships (raiders, etc) if the player is not extra tough or prepared for it with damage resists.

An easy way to deal with the aoe bomb is to get 10.1 K away by using evasive manuver. Everyone can do that. The graphic does not match the damage... if you are at 9k and run from the shockwave graphic, it will still get you. You need to be gone before it blows up. Other ways to counter it include just being tough, using damage resist officer skills, rock and roll, or the like.

--if the event crystal puts you in a black cloud and you can't see it, just move out of the cloud, its a sphere so any direction is as good as another except away from the crystal, which leaves the cloud between you and it :P The static debuff, I cannot find a way to counter that but it does not seem to matter apart from being annoying with the screen snow.

Aoe is a poor idea if you can't take the heat from the tholians you shoot with it.

-- if your group seems to be willing to do it as a team, work with them and help clear out tholians. But this is rare, so be prepared to use the zerk tactics.
  • Options
    feordilagorgefeordilagorge Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I know it says that kinetic damage is better than energy against the entity, but usually I place better with energy weapons. I ran six events yesterday with different ships and got 1st three times, one 2nd, and two 3rd-place finishes. I have a T'varo Warbird Retrofit fitted as torpedo boat and it has that giant plasma torp but took 2nd or 3rd while my beam boat took first. Now I know this can be partially attributed to the random players I got grouped with, but have you actually noticed better results with torps?

I've tried to see how much the entity's life drops with the giant red plasma torp and it doesn't seem to damage it much.

And with the giant AoE, when in my Dromias Cruiser, I usually only lose like 60% hull and just use Miracle Worker to heal.
    Star Citizen: Pay-2-Win?
    i.imgur.com/LGpIGVB.png

FREE HONG KONG! *
    * With purchase of another Hong Kong of equal or greater value.
  • Options
    jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    I know it says that kinetic damage is better than energy against the entity, but usually I place better with energy weapons. I ran six events yesterday with different ships and got 1st three times, one 2nd, and two 3rd-place finishes. I have a T'varo Warbird Retrofit fitted as torpedo boat and it has that giant plasma torp but took 2nd or 3rd while my beam boat took first. Now I know this can be partially attributed to the random players I got grouped with, but have you actually noticed better results with torps?

I've tried to see how much the entity's life drops with the giant red plasma torp and it doesn't seem to damage it much.

And with the giant AoE, when in my Dromias Cruiser, I usually only lose like 60% hull and just use Miracle Worker to heal.

I would suspect that the cause of this is because, despite the entity's innately lower kinetic resist, energy weapons will do significantly higher base dps than torps, which would not be entirely overcome by resistance differences, which would be minimized by 10 people throwing debuffs at it anyway.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • Options
    jerichoredoranjerichoredoran Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    In several channels ppl are constantly spamming about CE placement being based off heals instead dmg. I didnt investigate closer but seeing my twink achieve a 1st while not even being 60 supports that.
  • Options
    shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited March 2015

The score-board is weighted so that a heal of 1 gives a higher score than a damage of 1.

I can't tell exactly, but from parsing a load before christmas it looked like 1:3, i.e, heals scored 3 times as much as damage.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I would suspect that the cause of this is because, despite the entity's innately lower kinetic resist, energy weapons will do significantly higher base dps than torps, which would not be entirely overcome by resistance differences, which would be minimized by 10 people throwing debuffs at it anyway.
    As me and some of my friends have said.... DANCE SNOWFLAKE, DANCE!

Ionic turbulence works on it and makes the fight end much faster. If your team can keep it stacked with APB IT, and stuck in a grav well there's not much it can do. :P And it dies fast.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    In several channels ppl are constantly spamming about CE placement being based off heals instead dmg. I didnt investigate closer but seeing my twink achieve a 1st while not even being 60 supports that.

Heals have always been one of the things considered in the CC, whether it is an event, or the normal one. I had a friend in a science ship before that had common weapons, and GW1. All other science skills were heals. He made 1st. place almost all the time with it by healing other players. He would circle the entity, and start healing every player he could, while doing so little DPS.

Yet, almost all the time, he was 1st. place.

So, for this event, I always keep a lot of heals on me, and weaker shields than usual. I also remove a lot o my resistance consoles I usually have. Then, I run through and heal myself constantly, while focusing damage on the entity. This gets me 1st. place almost all the time. Especially on my Scimitar. It has a higher bleed through than most any other ship, so it is easy to pop heals on it all the time.

And for Romulans, their Quantum Absorption is great for taking the shock wave, without taking direct damage. Though, with a high enough DPS group, you can drop the entity before it can do its second shock wave. I have been in 1 group recently on normal where we had enough DPS to do that. Pretty cool when we did.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • Options
    icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited March 2015

i have gotten 1st with ever toon i play with and none of them ever heal anybody and the BoPs dont even heal themselves as they dont have heal skills pure damage. so while it does count or is applied to the total its all in the numbers crappy ship that takes allot of hits your gonna heal more. fast ship that pumps out damage like mad and your gonna get do more damage.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG