test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I am going to party with spock on Vulcan

gar1979gar1979 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
I don't see why I should not be allowed by people to pop disco balls in social areas not really anything specific imo but didn't cryptic add them into the game?? why take away an item after giving it to ppl? why not take party poppers too then and emotes. more of an rp thing vs troll thing? and the rpers are winning :confused:

cryptic added the no dance item, ppl can use it to solve their problem and rp without dancing

edit sorry I meant mourn without dancing
Post edited by gar1979 on

Comments

• Options
    roadghostroadghost Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    See that? *points to dead horse*
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If you're wearing a bullet proof vest you have no right to complain when someone shoots you, am I right?
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Oh dear god, every time someone mentions Subspace Party Amplifiers some idiot has to crawl from under his rock and tell us that having a Subspace Party Amplifier activated near to his character in a PC game is like being assaulted.

Why don't you show me on this doll where the Subspace Party Amplifier touched you, you hyperbole-spewing fantasist?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Not the same thing, not even close, as one is a clear, possibly fatal danger that often puts the victim in physical harm. Disco balls make a fake, pixelated avatar dance for 90 seconds. Even if you want to play the "but it's forcing me to do something" card, your example is extremely hyperbolic.

So how is the party amp not forcing your will upon another player?

The nullifier only prevents the emote. All of the other effects of the amp still happen.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Veering off-course; some cultures chose to celebrate the person's life, rather than solemnly mourn their death, via a party/and somewhat upbeat social gathering.

Granted, the Disco Ball is a little too upbeat. How about it being altered so that popping one on Vulcan plays relaxing mood music and has all players under its effect participate in a Vulcan meditation?
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So how is the party amp not forcing your will upon another player?

The nullifier only prevents the emote. All of the other effects of the amp still happen.

You get this is a video game right... no one is reaching though your screen and forcing you or touching you.

Whats next... banning people for having toons that don't look right.

Can't stop the other effects... man are you guys serious.

I can't stop others from making toon's that use the Star Trek 2 Uniforms. Man I HATE HATE HATE those things.... and people forcing me to see it in a "public" place in game are really annoying. This form of assault should be punished. Its a clear violation of the TOS... and I demand Cryptic start enforcing there own rules.

(you see how stupid that sounds)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    That can all be somewhat solved if they had a "serious-mode" UI overlay in several different flavors: TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Current (24XX), Movie, or Motion Picture.

The theme flavors simply affect what you you see everyone wearing on the ground to match that of the time period you selected. Odyssey/Bortesqu'/New Rom Republic wear for the "Current Timeline" setting.

Beyond that, the "Serious Mode" (aka I Only Play Canon mode), makes all Non-faction ships appear to the player with it turned on as close Faction analogues while in space. That Romulan Sheshar now looks like a Scimitar; separated; is a Scimitar x2. That Fed Vaadwaur Astika looks like an Avenger. That KDF Manasa looks like a Raptor. If the ship overlay has multiple skins, the skin overlay you see is random; but based on the standard set. So you can always see a standard Scimitar/Falchion/Tulwar for any Rom Sheshar, or one of the two variants of the Avenger for that Fed Astika, or any of the Raptor variants for the KDF Manasa.

Of course, the price paid is extra system resources on the one who decides to use this UI overlay.
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Veering off-course; some cultures chose to celebrate the person's life, rather than solemnly mourn their death, via a party/and somewhat upbeat social gathering.
    Very true, some Earth cultures do. But: Not Vulcans. Hence it is highly inappropriate to occur on Vulcan.

Vulcan is not New Orleans, or Ghana, etc.

I propose they establish a memorial on Vulcan, as it should be, where solemnity is respected. They can also have a memorial on Earth, where all the frivolity you want is acceptable and welcome.

P.S. "Zombie Spock", "Ghost Spock", and all the other mockeries are just juvenile. Somehow they always seem to be there when the disco partiers are there as well. Coincidence? I kinda doubt it. {sigh}
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Diet Coke, meet Mentos.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If you're wearing a bullet proof vest you have no right to complain when someone shoots you, am I right?

I think the party balls are totally immature and stupid and about as Star Trek as flying around in various alien space craft. They were designed for the troll, are used by the troll, and enjoyed by the troll. But that's a personal opinion.

If someone else thinks its cool and fun more power to them. Them popping a party ball may annoy the heck out of me, but it's a minor annoyance that doesn't in any way shape or form effect my life. If it annoys you so much that you're getting physically angry in real life, you need to just step away.
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Nah, it's more like one wearing a bomb disposal suit to defuse a 9 yottaton warhead.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    roadghost wrote: »
    See that? *points to dead horse*

it's not a dead horse it was made an issue based on an RL tragedy only a few days ago, good job being an rl study in insensitivity

*points to a corner for you to sit in*
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    I think the party balls are totally immature and stupid and about as Star Trek as flying around in various alien space craft. They were designed for the troll, are used by the troll, and enjoyed by the troll. But that's a personal opinion.

If someone else thinks its cool and fun more power to them. Them popping a party ball may annoy the heck out of me, but it's a minor annoyance that doesn't in any way shape or form effect my life. If it annoys you so much that you're getting physically angry in real life, you need to just step away.

you sound like someone who has many outfits do the majority show a ton of skin?

not judging you but if you throw stones expect to have some thrown back at your glass house. your post comes off as dictating the game be played according how you expect it to be, rather than how cryptic designs it just sayin *rollseyes*
  • Options
    cestovatelkacestovatelka Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    From the detailed complaint filed the day of Leonard Nimoy's passing:

This person was just one of the many members, mostly from the same fleet, repeatedly trolling & annoying the largest portion of attendees @ Vulcan #1, with so many others complaining also; he's a member of Starfleet Dental Fleet, & from the Zone Chat, they were in all of the instances, annoying & trolling & making things generally very stressful to so many. I added a very large number to my Ignore list, if only I could save the chat & PM logs somehow..? Captain Smirk seems to be a Dev & he was there, along with Taco, another Dev. It completely soured my whole experience having party balls forcing me to dance, with colors & streamers & balloons, with every appearance placed there simply to annoy. So many people were complaining & they just wouldn't listen. I also have in my PM a chat with Dreelix@repetitiveepic where s/he said that Starfleet Dental prevailed to Capt. Smirk to allow the partyballs again, after them originally not being allowed. If these kinds of situations are going to continue, esp w/ Dreelix saying that Starfleet Dental is going to be custodians & operating the Nimoy Memorial, not only is it going to alienate a lot of players, it's going to drive them out & away from both the memorial & perhaps even the STO game. I look fwd to discussing further if possible. As it is, I put in my Bio that I'll be Ignoring "Starfleet Mental" members on sight as a result of their actions & communications today. //

Excerpted from Eypreel's response: "...You can take additional action by using /ignore CharacterName@Handle to ignore this player in your chat..." //

& my follow-up:

Very frustrating. The responder [Eypreel, Game Master, Perfect World Entertainment] seemed to completely miss my point, or not understand what seems to me to be a very detailed & clearly explained description of the situation giving rise to the complaint. I was dismayed to see that 1 of the Devs actually relented & allowed the situation to occur. I'm further distressed to understand as a result of a private message back & forth between myself & the party named from 1 of the "Starfleet Mental" fleet members saying that since they 'do so much for the community' that it gave them license to be as annoying, insensitive & inconsiderate as they wished. From many discussions with others similarly annoyed, this seems to be a consistent pattern with that fleet & occurs at any similar public gathering/event. Simply putting every member of that fleet on my "Ignore" list (alas, only a limit of 999!) does nothing for the effects of what may be, at best, described as childish antics. I'm further distressed hearing from that same party that they plan on being the custodians & managers of Leonard Nimoy's memorial; I can hardly think of a more repugnant & disrespectful turn of events & would serve, if not corrected/prevented, to negatively affect players' impression of not only STO but also PWE. If it is the wish & desire of PWE to be appearing as both welcoming to those who are yet considering purchasing a subscription to the STO game, & also being thankful & respectful of those who've already spent good money in buying a subscription, this certainly is not the the path to be following. I look forward to further discussions if the owners, staff & management as so inclined. Most Sincerely, S.W. "Cestovatelka"

[Eypreel, Game Master, Perfect World Entertainment] responded (excerpted): "...We understand how you feel, however, for comments or feedback, we may recommend to post this via our forums page for review."

Well, as you wish, Eypreel, although this isn't the only forum where this might be found posted. "...We appreciate your continued patience and cooperation."

So do I, so do I. :D
  • Options
    noobspawnnoobspawn Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the son of threads is born...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    he's a member of Starfleet Dental Fleet, & from the Zone Chat, they were in all of the instances, annoying & trolling & making things generally very stressful to so many.

careful that is a bit of a violation of rules for posting on here :cool:
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    noobspawn wrote: »
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the son of threads is born...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand also hotlinking to other threads not against rules??? :confused: please do not hijack my topic kind sir

this is a gameplay related issut that the devs need to act on. take party balls out, or not, and expect me to use them any time I feel the need
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    gar1979 wrote: »
    you sound like someone who has many outfits do the majority show a ton of skin?

not judging you but if you throw stones expect to have some thrown back at your glass house. your post comes off as dictating the game be played according how you expect it to be, rather than how cryptic designs it just sayin *rollseyes*

Actually did you even read the entire post, specifically the second paragraph, or did you just read the first one and go crying that I didn't like the way you play personally and therefore must be dictating your play style to you.

Basically since you're reading challenged... I don't care how you or anyone else plays. What you do in game may dictate if I want to associate with you in game... but my panties don't get into a twist if someone's play style and concept of fun is different then mine. I don't like it, I'm mature enough to simply ignore your stupid TRIBBLE.

As to how many outfits I have or don't... not exactly sure how that effects on the fact of partyballs in games and where and when you can or can not use them.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Does anyone feel the players who used Memorial balls on Vulcan are guilty of "grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character"?
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    cidjack wrote: »
    Does anyone feel the players who used Memorial balls on Vulcan are guilty of "grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character"?

No my opinion is simply that they're immature twits and someone I wouldn't want to associate with in game... because their play style is different then mine. But I can ignore them pretty much as easily as they can ignore me and it doesn't effect my life one iota other then a very brief annoyance.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    No my opinion is simply that they're immature twits and someone I wouldn't want to associate with in game... because their play style is different then mine. But I can ignore them pretty much as easily as they can ignore me and it doesn't effect my life one iota other then a very brief annoyance.

I like your, "agree to disagree" approach.
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Today, tomorrow, and for many years to come Leonard Nimoy will be a beloved icon remembered reverently by many millions.The trolls will still be trolls, pathetic and desperate for attention. They are already being forgotten, Mr Nimoy will never be.
    Well said. The actions of these few sure seem to make an interesting case study in abnormal psychology. You're spot on about their need for attention, as they take center stage standing on the impromptu monument, jumping up and down, running around, etc.

They're desperately saying "Look at me! Look at me!" It's pretty sad, mostly. Definitely narcissistic, likely Histrionic Personality Disorder as well.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    Very true, some Earth cultures do. But: Not Vulcans. Hence it is highly inappropriate to occur on Vulcan.

I propose they establish a memorial on Vulcan, as it should be, where solemnity is respected. They can also have a memorial on Earth, where all the frivolity you want is acceptable and welcome.
    You have a valid point. I just brought it up as some people were raised that way rather than to go into silence. I actually ran across such a person who was a foreign transfer student. Some people were pissed off by their statement of celebrating a deceased one's life, not mourning their death. As it turned out, it's a cultural thing for them (it also coincided with a Psychology class, and became the debate for the day).

While the likelihood of anyone using a party popper on Vulcan due to being raised that way is practically near zero, there is that 1 in a million chance.

Like another has said; it doesn't matter what trolls or attention seekers do. Leonard Nimoy will be the one remembered for the legacy he left behind.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    gfreeman98 wrote: »

P.S. "Zombie Spock", "Ghost Spock", and all the other mockeries are just juvenile. Somehow they always seem to be there when the disco partiers are there as well. Coincidence? I kinda doubt it. {sigh}

Leonard Simon Nimoy passed that saddens many of us no doubt. Claiming he is from Vulcan is more then a little out of touch.

Man Spock isn't dead... I hate to break it to people but Mr. Nimoy is NOT Spock. Spock is fictional and there for can not in fact die. Unless a writer makes it so.

The memorial gatherings for Mr. Nimoy don't reflect anything at all the man believed. He practiced Judaism. As such none of us would be invited to his memorial as we don't know him nor are we a member of his community. There wasn't a public service for the man, his family held a private Traditional Jewish service.

So get over yourself. The in game tributes are free to observe anything that makes sense for you. If we are going to respect what the man wished none of us would be there at all doing anything as per the custom of his faith.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    So do I, so do I. :D

I think you should consider there response a nice way of saying... perhaps you should rethink things.

We had just as much right as you to assemble in a public zone and celebrate the passing of Mr. Nimoy.

How we choose to celebrate the mans life is really none of your concern. Most of us that where there to celebrate, choose to NOT complain to GMs... cause people insisted on calling us names and PMing us rude things while we where remembering Mr. Nimoy.

Perhaps next time instead of wasting GM and your own time, you will show a little more respect and tolerance. LLAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It amazes me how badly people feel the need to defend their actions in the game.

If it's not that big a deal, why not just ignore these kind of threads?
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It's like the other thread, but without a useful OP.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    daveyny wrote: »
    It amazes me how badly people feel the need to defend their actions in the game.

If it's not that big a deal, why not just ignore these kind of threads?

You must fight intolerance when you see it, doing otherwise makes you tolerant of such behaviour which is dangerous and cowardly.

“Tolerance of intolerance is cowardice.” Ayaan Hirsi Ali

"Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding." Mahatma Gandhi

“Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population.” Albert Einstein

Although I believe the man was quite insane.... I think this quote sums up the entire situation.

"The supreme satisfaction is to be able to despise one's neighbor and this fact goes far to account for religious intolerance. It is evidently consoling to reflect that the people next door are headed for hell." Aleister Crowley

People can disagree with how I choose to celebrate someones passing, the intolerance I have seen from there side is telling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.