test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Returning player: new icons are terrible, not easy to differentiate

dilbartdilbart Member Posts: 33 Arc User
Fire your UX team.

The old icons were great because you could scan across your tray and quickly find things. These new ones require you to actually stare and resolve each one.

I applaud your effort. But like when we were in school, just because you spent two weeks writing a 5% paper doesn't mean you deserve an A+.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by dilbart on

Comments

• Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Kinda have to agree, they are terribly cluttered.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Matter of opinion. The old icons are abstract art while some of the new ones are a pictographical representation of what the power does. The change is for players new to the game not veterans just like redoing the old story missions. Some veterans are used to the old designs so that is why they think they are better. New players would be completely lost with the old icons until they got used to them.
  • Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The old ones weren't better, they were more familiar because they've been around longer. Once these have time to settle in, they'll be just as easily recognizable as the past ones (probably better in some cases).
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    dilbartdilbart Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    Matter of opinion. The old icons are abstract art while some of the new ones are a pictographical representation of what the power does. The change is for players new to the game not veterans just like redoing the old story missions. Some veterans are used to the old designs so that is why they think they are better. New players would be completely lost with the old icons until they got used to them.

There's way too much detail in some cases for an icon. The team put too much detail into something that occupies less than 1cm x 1cm area hence contributing to apparent clutter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    dilbart wrote: »
    There's way too much detail in some cases for an icon. The team put too much detail into something that occupies less than 1cm x 1cm area hence contributing to apparent clutter.

So what is Stasis Field supposed to do by just looking at the old icon? The old icon is abstract art with no meaning whatsoever while the new icon has a man trapped in a bubble. Or Tricorder scan, with abstract art for the old one and a tricorder icon for the new one.
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,221 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So what is Stasis Field supposed to do by just looking at the old icon? The old icon is abstract art with no meaning whatsoever while the new icon has a man trapped in a bubble. Or Tricorder scan, with abstract art for the old one and a tricorder icon for the new one.
    Abstract art works better as its easier to spot and less cluttered. They put to much information into the new icons which makes the icons worse. As single icons the new ones might be better but once grouped they don't do the job very well.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,439 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I would not mind having the option to use either the old (classic) icon set or the new icon set.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Fire your UX team.

The old icons were great because you could scan across your tray and quickly find things. These new ones require you to actually stare and resolve each one.

I applaud your effort. But like when we were in school, just because you spent two weeks writing a 5% paper doesn't mean you deserve an A+.

I have no idea why they even made the last change the scheme is awful.
    I would love to have the old icons back.
    download.jpg
  • Options
    aelrhianaaelrhiana Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    questerius wrote: »
    I would not mind having the option to use either the old (classic) icon set or the new icon set.

This is a really good idea.

I don't play as much as I used to, and being blessed (cursed) with a learning disability, along with a degenerative neurological disorder makes learning these new icons just about impossible for me. Believe me, I'm trying to learn them, but I probably won't be able to grasp more than a few at best.

And no, because I know some people will say it, I will not quit the game because of it; I shouldn't have to.

I love the idea of being given an option, between new and classic. It would make things much easier for more of us than some people realize.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Just a matter of getting used to it, unfortunately I have yet to find out why they felt the need to change the icons.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    totally disagree, with a few exceptions the new ones are better/easier to recognize
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,221 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    baudl wrote: »
    Just a matter of getting used to it, unfortunately I have yet to find out why they felt the need to change the icons.
    Its not just a matter of getting use to it. Even after getting used to them they are much harder to use. There are a few like torp spread and FaW which are better but on the whole I find the new icons a massive step backwards.
  • Options
    lessley00lessley00 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This abstract art was probobly supposed to look "abstract". Has anyone watched the Voyager episode "Message in a bottle"? okay... so you remember when Doc and the Mk ll are trying to operate the Prometheus and all the controls and icons were hard to understand? okay good

Time to flame 3...2...1: NOW WHY IN HELL DID THEY CHANGE THE ******NN ICONS??!! THEY WERE PERFECT THE WAY THEY WERE!!

Okay now that thats out of my system i want to apologize to a mod so that I dont get banned
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I disagree The new icons are much easier for me to glance at and know what is going on. I have been playing since just before the game went F2P and I still couldn't tell you what most of the old icons were for. The new ones are much easier for me to understand.

That being said I agree that there should be a toggle for people that would like to use the old set. although my guess is that they have been deleted from the code at this point, and are no longer recoverable.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Lol i find it so silly that they keep changing them. They must need to give people something to do.
  • Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    the old ones were bad but these are worse.

at least the old ones had a larger graphic. the news ones try and cram too much "art" into a tiny space.

I spend most of my time trying to figure out what stuff is so I know what button to push.

If something isn't in the tray slot that its supposed to be in, I couldn't tell you what anything is.

if anything, they all need to be simplified.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I only have just started getting used to them, and ONLY because I set my trays the same way for everyship I fly.
    Row3: Heals, and resistance buffs, batteries.
    Row2: Sci debuffs, Rom rep trait, photonic fleets/pirates ...exotic skills like TBR/GravWell
    Row 1: All offensive skills/buffs, Evasive, ramming speed

Otherwise I'm sure I'd still be getting adjusted to the new look.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Fire your UX team.

You'll get used to it.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't see how the new icons are any less abstract than the old ones.

The icon picture doesn't matter so much as it matters whether or not we understand it. We understood the old ones, and nobody- nobody- was complaining about it.

I don't get why they changed this. It's a prime, if benign, example of the tone-deaf quality of life focus that the players have become so upset at Cryptic over.

And just adding- the new icons look fine... but so did the old ones. There was just no need for it.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    azniadeet wrote: »

The icon picture doesn't matter so much as it matters whether or not we understand it. We understood the old ones, and nobody- nobody- was complaining about it.

I don't get why they changed this. It's a prime, if benign, example of the tone-deaf quality of life focus that the players have become so upset at Cryptic over.

And just adding- the new icons look fine... but so did the old ones. There was just no need for it.

apparently the old icons caused lag........ so of course the new ones added so much lag it made the game unplayable and no fix in site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    To me some looks better. However I love the rank numbers on them. So I can easily put them in the tray easier.

I don't see why the fuss. Once I put them where they need to be. Rest is just memory. So I adjusted to them during the 1st mission. No issues what so ever.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    lordatrocitieslordatrocities Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Fire your UX team.

I like the new icons actually. Hope one day you will too.
    What happened to those unique forum ranks I paid for?
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    azniadeet wrote: »

I don't understand why developer time was wasted on this.

We're always told we can't have nice things because it costs money to develop, takes time to develop, etc.

And yet time and money was wasted on this totally unnecessary change.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    farmallm wrote: »
    To me some looks better. However I love the rank numbers on them. So I can easily put them in the tray easier.

I don't see why the fuss. Once I put them where they need to be. Rest is just memory. So I adjusted to them during the 1st mission. No issues what so ever.

maybe because I have to redo the tray every 5 minutes .......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lordkasulordkasu Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I like the rank indicators, but I really don't like the new artwork.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    maybe because I have to redo the tray every 5 minutes .......

Even that don't take long. Where I have done that a couple of times. Since I have memorized them already. And even that don't take long.

Its really not that hard....
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    nileight1nileight1 Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Fire your UX team.

Fire yourself.
    I like the new icons better and think they make more sense.
  • Options
    gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited February 2015

There is too much detail (information and art) in most of the new icons, especially given the icons small size. In this case less is more, in my opinion.

A call to fire people comes across a harsh.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I don't understand why developer time was wasted on this.

We're always told we can't have nice things because it costs money to develop, takes time to develop, etc.

And yet time and money was wasted on this totally unnecessary change.

For the same reason that the devs removed exploration clusters, new players were getting lost in them. The new icons give a pictographical representation of the power so new players can tell what a power is by looking at it while that would be impossible with the old icons. So it is not a totally unnecessary change.

As far as icons wasting time and money, it takes far less time to design icons than it does for costumes, ships, or maps.
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The new icons give a pictographical representation of the power so new players can tell what a power is by looking at it while that would be impossible with the old icons.
    So did the old ones.
    As far as icons wasting time and money, it takes far less time to design icons than it does for costumes, ships, or maps.
    And that someone makes wasted time better? Resources are finite; Cryptic actively cracks down on rewards/content/players so they can squeeze a little more money out of the whales to pay for this months operating expenses.

Is this really what the nerf to rep turn-ins during dilithium weekends paid for?
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle