test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Klingon Ship Design (command) ?

johndroidjohndroid Member Posts: 178 Arc User
Well i have seen the 3 new Klingon Command Ships.
What do you think about there looks compared to all the other command ships ?
I realize its about stations and gear , weapons slots so on ... but me personally i would not buy 1 klingon design looking the way they do , I realize its cosmetics alone but the zen to buy or time grinding for them I would not bother spending real money or grinding .... As for the other Fed/Roulan ships they all look nice sleek and shaped decent with nice contours.
I have been waiting for a good decent cool looking effective combat klingon ship for almost 2 seasons .... waiting ... waiting ?
Then came the Qib it was decent looks fair looking , combat above fair a bit only because of intel skills alone not ship setup or weapons mods the Mahta Raptor has great setup Looks cool but like a previous raptor already , no battle cloak just 95% regular ship and 5% intelligence ship ? they almost had it right but no cigar ....
So now we have the design team finally made new Command ships anyone like e'm or dislike them please let me/us know.

If I'm being critical for Klingon ship choices Please let me know ? Thank you

I also hope they will get the New Fleet klingon ships done better than being lowest choice on totem pole then as well
Post edited by johndroid on

Comments

• revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Lots of people hate the Design, with few exceptions I'd say most.

And cosmetics are a critical factor for a lot of people including myself.

Ongoing, and probably correct, theory: they are terrible on purpose to keep the sakes on that one low and use that as an excuse for not adding any more kdf ships any time soon because "they don't sell, nobody wants kdf ships"
  • seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    They mind me an awful lot of some Klingon dreadnoughts and battleships from Starfleet Command I and II. If you aren't familiar with those, here are some pictures. The pictures were taken from a mod for Armada II, the models are very similar to their SFC counterparts however:

http://media.moddb.com/images/downloads/1/77/76420/DefendersHDNT.jpg

The left and right ships I believe are dreadnoughts while the one in the middle is a battleship. In SFC lore, these were the biggest Klingon ships ever built in the 23rd century. They had enough firepower to lay waste to entire space stations and fleets of smaller ships.

I can totally see the command cruisers to be influenced by those, maybe they are even a tribute. May that be or not, I like to see a more familiar shape again as I grew up with SFC.

Of course, whether or not they look good is a matter of preference. Maybe its because of my attachment with the SFC series but these behemoths look way more intimidating to me than ships like the Negh'var ever did.
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • comdrivercomdriver Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I personally like klingon command ship visual design. They're not the best, but looks ok. As for me the worst command design is fed ships. Especially their nacells.
  • johndroidjohndroid Member Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    They mind me an awful lot of some Klingon dreadnoughts and battleships from Starfleet Command I and II. If you aren't familiar with those, here are some pictures. The pictures were taken from a mod for Armada II, the models are very similar to their SFC counterparts however:

The left and right ships I believe are dreadnoughts while the one in the middle is a battleship. In SFC lore, these were the biggest Klingon ships ever built in the 23rd century. They had enough firepower to lay waste to entire space stations and fleets of smaller ships.

I can totally see the command cruisers to be influenced by those, maybe they are even a tribute. May that be or not, I like to see a more familiar shape again as I grew up with SFC.

Of course, whether or not they look good is a matter of preference. Maybe its because of my attachment with the SFC series but these behemoths look way more intimidating to me than ships like the Negh'var ever did.

They really do look pretty similar , good eye ! thanks for posting those photos of ships.
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well i looked at them and looked and looked and upgraded my Bortasqu to T5-U instead (free upgrade token).
    I would rather pay to upgrade the ships i have to T6 than buy one of them.
    Did buy the T6 Raptor and quite happy with it.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well, the one in my sig looks pretty good I think. :) The An'Quat is probably the most Klingon looking of the 3, but that overally large head section kinda' looks weird to me. With mixmatching the 3 there are some combinations that do look cool, I've seen a few and Smirk made a rather good looking one during the last livestream - plus the Ty'Gokor looks good even as a stand alone to me.

And you're selling the Mat'Ha way to short, OP. Not only that it's great looking, but it's one of the best ships in the game and the most insane one. Doesn't have to be full on intel to be awesome, the Mat'Ha rocks and melts everything in sight in mere seconds.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • synthiasuicidesynthiasuicide Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, I like the new KDF Command ships, ONLY because of that Smirk Stream. At first I hated them. But was planning on buying the Fed ones.

Then after that stream I Decided I really like what you could Make it into. So bought the Klink pack instead. My Feds can wait.

Love my Command ship now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015

johndroid wrote: »
    They really do look pretty similar , good eye ! thanks for posting those photos of ships.

Yep. Similar. And pretty ugly, too.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    One of the Klingon ships looks like Thor's Hammer with added Nacelles.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    the an'quat cruiser looks like it was pulled straight out of sta2: fleet ops mod, the klingon construction ship. and the klinzhai looks like the sta 2 klingon boarding ship.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Though they are a little bit of a departure from STO's general designs for KDF ships, they're all particularly phallic enough to be Klingon vessels... :P

Seriously though, I think they're a bit of an acquired taste... The more I've seen them, the more I've begun to like the designs.... Initially, I thought they were terrible...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
    edited February 2015
    imruined wrote: »
    Though they are a little bit of a departure from STO's general designs for KDF ships, they're all particularly phallic enough to be Klingon vessels... :P

Want to see phallic designs? Speak to the Voth. ;):D
    imruined wrote: »
    Seriously though, I think they're a bit of an acquired taste... The more I've seen them, the more I've begun to like the designs.... Initially, I thought they were terrible...

Yeah, that's about where I'm standing. When I first saw the leaks I was like "WTF?!!? :eek:", but the more I see them in game the more I like them. Not Mat'Ha level of awesome design - that was a home-run, but they're not bad as it initially seemed.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I doffed for a few days just to check out the ship... It didn't hit me till I went to go use the ship that it was time gated on getting that worthless zombie ship for its console for that ship to have full console set lol.

So anyways the queues that didn't just leave me stuck was the worst experience in STO ever. Most of the commands were choppy and nothing would take under 5 seconds to activate once I pushed the button. I didn't realize how bad STO was and that must be why the ships are priced so high due to they want to get the ppl still playing to spend their money till they get tired of how bad off the game really is. Yeah my time with STO is done until some professionals can take over this game.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I still don't like the looks. But it could grow on me later. At one time, I didn't like the Mogh that well. But it grew on me. I could buy one in the future, but time will tell.

To me I think they should offer the ships at 2500 zen. And lower the others to 2000 or lower. Since T5s are no longer top ships.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    edited February 2015
    farmallm wrote: »
    To me I think they should offer the ships at 2500 zen. And lower the others to 2000 or lower. Since T5s are no longer top ships.

Can't argue with that. It would probably boost sales across the board as well.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I had a knee-jerk reaction to them like most. Now that I've tinkered with the kitbashing, you can make some 'decent' looking things.

My main complaint about them is still the wing assemblies. They feel more Orion or Cardassian than Klingon.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    they look fine to me ? I mean, its not a work of art, but it looks like something the kdf would do.
    edited February 2015
    szerontzur wrote: »
    My main complaint about them is still the wing assemblies. They feel more Orion or Cardassian than Klingon.

I too have a feeling they were influenced by Orion designs. Not sure if that was on purpose, but it might have been seen how the Orions are alled with the Klingon Empire and how they were the first and used to be the only species to utilize flight-deck cruisers such as these.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • mreeves7amreeves7a Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    My only real issues with them is that certain neck/saucer combos do not flow well (Ty'gokor neck and Klinzhai saucer for example) and the seemingly unfinished nature...

Some parts of the vessels are extremely detailed, but then the area next to them is a wide expanse of blank hull texture; no windows, vents, greebles of any sort. Most recent KDF designs have had a KDF-unique visual model for beam array hardpoints (Mogh, Mat'ha), the command cruisers don't; most recent KDF designs have cannons integrated into the wings/saucers, the command ships don't, they've reverted to the "weapon pimples".
  • synthiasuicidesynthiasuicide Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Think I used the Klinzhai neck, Anquat Stanchions, Rest Ty'Gokor and it just feels/looks like a smaller Bortasqu.
    And it performs well. It's a good FDC.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]